Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The 3DS is completely regionlocked, because Nintendo hate Europe and like Atlus (who also hate Europe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ADullMin posted:

Really? I was told otherwise.

Maybe you were told this about the original Nintendo DS, which was region-free. But yes, Nintendo decided to be stupid w/r/t the 3DS's region capabilities.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
Well that's too bad, I just wanted turn based combat and D.S. FF sprites with a swell job system.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I picked up The Guided Fate Paradox today. Only beat the first chapter but I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it feels like they took the rough parts of ZHP and smoothed them out which is good. My only real complaint is it really feels like it belongs on the Vita rather than PS3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wasn't paying any attention to it at all, I just naturally assumed it was on Vita until I saw otherwise. A game like that seems like it goes a lot better on a portable console.

Hey, maybe they'll make a Vita port a year from now with all the DLC. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly liked it less than ZHP. The story is loving constantly in your face but less amusing that ZHP and the Burst system is so abusable that taking 0 damage from every enemy is trivial which makes it a really boring game even compared to how easy ZHP was to break.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I suppose I might as well ask here- for those of you who are playing the beta for Consortium, how do you get past that massive VR section (I don't think that's spoilery in and of itself)? Do you really have to slog through everything, or is there a trick to it?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Yeah I grabbed Guided Fate Paradox on the strength of ZHP and cause I'm a sucker for lovely anime RPGs, but it's really just not that great. It's way easy and the characters are super obnoxious in addition to being one note, which is something I can get over if the story isn't always being shoved down your throat. However, GFP has the awesome idea of giving you a story chunk after almost every floor, it breaks the hell out of the dungeon crawling flow and is generally just kind of annoying. If I could run dungeons all day without having to save Cinderella and mermaids I'd love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Yeah I grabbed Guided Fate Paradox on the strength of ZHP and cause I'm a sucker for lovely anime RPGs, but it's really just not that great. It's way easy and the characters are super obnoxious in addition to being one note, which is something I can get over if the story isn't always being shoved down your throat. However, GFP has the awesome idea of giving you a story chunk after almost every floor, it breaks the hell out of the dungeon crawling flow and is generally just kind of annoying. If I could run dungeons all day without having to save Cinderella and mermaids I'd love it.

Pretty much. It's worse than ZHP in almost every way. You unlock a no-plot dungeon pretty early into the game but it still limits you a lot until you do the plot.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I dont think Ive made it all the way through a single cutscene in that game but I'm still enjoying it so far. The dungeon crawling is fun and the loot is satisfying to find and test out.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Brasseye posted:

I dont think Ive made it all the way through a single cutscene in that game but I'm still enjoying it so far. The dungeon crawling is fun and the loot is satisfying to find and test out.

Maybe I'm the crazy one then, considering of all games I'm having more fun with loving Hyperdimension Neptunia V than GFP. At least Neptunia knows it's loving stupid as all hell, and the underlying game is better. Shame it's wrapped in a layer of awful.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Maybe I'm the crazy one then, considering of all games I'm having more fun with loving Hyperdimension Neptunia V than GFP. At least Neptunia knows it's loving stupid as all hell, and the underlying game is better. Shame it's wrapped in a layer of awful.

drat there are 5 of those games already? To be honest half the appeal to GFP for me is dressing up my character like an idiot. Anyway at least there are some decent RPGs coming out for ps3 next year.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Brasseye posted:

drat there are 5 of those games already? To be honest half the appeal to GFP for me is dressing up my character like an idiot. Anyway at least there are some decent RPGs coming out for ps3 next year.

It's just a fancy title, there's only 3 of them so far. Although if I'm not mistaken, there's something like 3 or 4 more games being made right now. I guess they found their target audience of weirdos and they goble up everything they make for some sweet profits.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Million Ghosts posted:

Jesus, christ. Calling any game "anime as gently caress" has lost all meaning in a world where this game exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ie6-UXCH-4

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Calling any game 'anime as gently caress' lost any meaning well before Hyperdimension Neptunia came along, but it's trying to do what it can. I mean, even that's small fry compared to the Hyperdimension Neptunia Japanese Pop Idol Sim.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

HGH posted:

It's just a fancy title, there's only 3 of them so far. Although if I'm not mistaken, there's something like 3 or 4 more games being made right now. I guess they found their target audience of weirdos and they goble up everything they make for some sweet profits.

Haha fantastic. These are games where real life video game companies are represented by big boob anime babes and battle each other in a world called Gameindustri. Its probably the weirdest thing I ever heard of so of course it becomes massively popular and gets a ton of sequels.

Then again I enjoyed Star Ocean 3 which probably still has the goofiest storyline of any RPG.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Man, I don't even know what my deal is, I liked Persona 4 and Star Ocean 3, but I'm afraid to touch Dark Souls because I have a history of getting frustrated very quickly with video games. You think that ridiculous gaming psychotherapy center for gamers they started up awhile back covers bad/eclectic taste?

I picked up Tales of Xillia, it's my first Tales game since briefly trying Phantasia however many years ago. As I understand it, the gameplay is similar to Star Ocean (active battles, item creation) but the plot is less stupid anime. I should probably choose Jude when I get around to playing, right? When the "before I play" wiki says he's the more traditional JRPG story, what does that mean exactly?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

liked Persona 4 and Star Ocean 3 ... I have a history of getting frustrated very quickly with video games.

I liked them but felt both of these could get very frustrating at times. You might enjoy Dark Souls a lot but if you get annoyed with games easily you might also end up throwing your controller across the room on a few sections. You can buy it super cheap now too.

As for Xillia I saw my friend play some of it and have played Tales of Vesperia myself. Like you said the combat in the series plays a bit like Star Ocean but from what I remember the characters are generally a lot more likable. Basically expect an anime Star Ocean with (probably) a better plot, better characters, more customisation and a really big world map.

A cool feature of the series is that probably half of the character dialogue is put into mini cutscenes that you have to trigger yourself with a button while youre exploring a dungeon/map. If this annoys you you can ignore them safely but they can be ok to break up a long dungeon as well.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Captain Walker posted:

I picked up Tales of Xillia, it's my first Tales game since briefly trying Phantasia however many years ago. As I understand it, the gameplay is similar to Star Ocean (active battles, item creation) but the plot is less stupid anime. I should probably choose Jude when I get around to playing, right? When the "before I play" wiki says he's the more traditional JRPG story, what does that mean exactly?

Tales games traditionally have the idealistic young male protagonist, which is Jude. He experiences the plot in a much more logical progression and tends to find things out as you do.

It's certainly possible to play as Milla first time through, but some of the plot seems a bit disjointed as a standalone story compared to Jude, and some plot points Milla doesn't experience or only hears about get confusing.

As mentioned, the Tales games feature skits, which is mostly nice fluff text to see them talk more about the story, expand character development and show off character interaction. They will also really help point out side quests when avaliable, so cutoffs seems less annoying.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 9, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I already own both Souls games (Demon's on PS3, Dark on PC) and I'll probably never play them. I fear I don't have the patience.

I'm not against the unknown factor that we quantify around here as "anime" but it has to be the right kind of anime. Persona is exceedingly anime, and the characters are also well developed human beings with fantastic voice acting. Star Ocean is moderately anime, with spotty VA at best, and its plot is hilariously atrocious. If the gameplay was good enough we would forgive it all sins, but Kirlsa Caverns Hauler puzzle.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

I already own both Souls games (Demon's on PS3, Dark on PC) and I'll probably never play them. I fear I don't have the patience.

I'm not against the unknown factor that we quantify around here as "anime" but it has to be the right kind of anime. Persona is exceedingly anime, and the characters are also well developed human beings with fantastic voice acting. Star Ocean is moderately anime, with spotty VA at best, and its plot is hilariously atrocious. If the gameplay was good enough we would forgive it all sins, but Kirlsa Caverns Hauler puzzle.

I haven't played Demon's, but Dark really doesn't fall outside the norm of regular difficulty games. The biggest roadblock I ever experienced was in the first 10 minutes of the game, because I unwittingly chose to go in the wrong direction, and that didn't even matter because I just had fun trying to fight these skeletons for a little while before realizing I should try another direction. The rest of the game, especially if you're used to character building from other RPGs, can be broken over your knee with basically no effort. If anything I think the game is easier than most RPGs, because no matter what you always have one chance to recover what you lost when you die.

It's still very much worth playing though because the atmosphere is incredible and the combat is easily the best action-RPG combat of all time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Papercut posted:

I haven't played Demon's, but Dark really doesn't fall outside the norm of regular difficulty games. The biggest roadblock I ever experienced was in the first 10 minutes of the game, because I unwittingly chose to go in the wrong direction, and that didn't even matter because I just had fun trying to fight these skeletons for a little while before realizing I should try another direction. The rest of the game, especially if you're used to character building from other RPGs, can be broken over your knee with basically no effort. If anything I think the game is easier than most RPGs, because no matter what you always have one chance to recover what you lost when you die.

It's still very much worth playing though because the atmosphere is incredible and the combat is easily the best action-RPG combat of all time.

To follow up what is said here; the Souls games are only difficult if you are going in 100% blind and don't like to collect doodads. If you want to take the difficulty and just destroy it take a look at a strategy guide. 90% of the difficulty comes from figuring out what enemies are weak to what and where to get the things they are weak to from. The remaining 10% is not making execution errors in a game that provides lots of ways to recover from gently caress ups.

Hell Dark Souls difficulty curve is basically linear until you hit the mid boss and after that point the game collapses in on and itself and you are Shiva, destroyer of worlds.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you ask me, most of the difficulty in ___ Souls comes from you never being safe. From the first hour of the game to the last, every enemy can and will kill you in two to three hits if you're not careful. Most enemies have some way of completely loving you up, like cursing you, or an OHKO grab, etc. It just never lets up, and if you at some point let up you will die, which is a level of punishing games today mostly try to stay away from.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The only thing I want from Dark Souls 2 is the actual ability to enjoy all of the game without looking up a guide. That means no stupid factions with unexplained mechanics, maybe a tutorial message about how stats affect weapon damage, basically I want to enjoy the game without needing a guide to explain how the game works.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Amppelix posted:

If you ask me, most of the difficulty in ___ Souls comes from you never being safe. From the first hour of the game to the last, every enemy can and will kill you in two to three hits if you're not careful. Most enemies have some way of completely loving you up, like cursing you, or an OHKO grab, etc. It just never lets up, and if you at some point let up you will die, which is a level of punishing games today mostly try to stay away from.

But this isn't necessarily true unless you're doing a low level run. My first playthrough I just pumped the hell out of stamina and vitality and ran around wearing the heaviest armor available and the Eagle Shield; I could eat a shitload of hits and none of the fodder enemies were any threat at all. It's a LOT more fun to play a build that is more fragile and agile than that, of course.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The true difficulty of Dark Souls comes from when you get cocky and sloppy, and thus get murdered with disturbing ease by something you've beat 20 times before.

I picked up Trails In The Sky on the word of basically the entire internet, and so far.. it's okay? It seems to be trying to set this really deliberate, dialogue heavy pace which I'd be down with if the writing was better. Not that it's bad, just not great. The battle system seems cool so far but not really that unique. Should I just stick it out and see if it clicks? This seems like the kind of game that takes a while to hit it's stride.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

The true difficulty of Dark Souls comes from when you get cocky and sloppy, and thus get murdered with disturbing ease by something you've beat 20 times before.

I picked up Trails In The Sky on the word of basically the entire internet, and so far.. it's okay? It seems to be trying to set this really deliberate, dialogue heavy pace which I'd be down with if the writing was better. Not that it's bad, just not great. The battle system seems cool so far but not really that unique. Should I just stick it out and see if it clicks? This seems like the kind of game that takes a while to hit it's stride.

Yeah, it starts fairly slow; each chapter is a good amount better than the ones before it. I'd maybe say stick it out until the end of Chapter 1? By then you've already met a good portion of the cast, including the best character and some of the antagonists,and while things still get better from there on out if you're still disinterested by then maybe it's just not for you?

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
So I'm interested in buying one of the Lunar: The Silver Star remakes, and I was wondering if I should get the Silver Star Harmony on PSP or Silver Star Complete on iOS.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Food Guy posted:

So I'm interested in buying one of the Lunar: The Silver Star remakes, and I was wondering if I should get the Silver Star Harmony on PSP or Silver Star Complete on iOS.

I also want to know this. Someone please answer this question. :)

As with many JPRGs, I am hesitant of these games for their (what I call) juvenile appearance... are the stories/characters engaging for a 30+ year old gamer..?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

As with many JPRGs, I am hesitant of these games for their (what I call) juvenile appearance... are the stories/characters engaging for a 30+ year old gamer..?

I'll phrase it this way: What do you consider "engaging for a 30+ year old gamer." Because the vast majority of games are juvenile power fantasy so saying juvenile doesn't really narrow down what you consider acceptable/unacceptable. They're lighthearted adventure stories and probably appropriate for anyone of any age to play. They're very clearly on the "friendship and love triumph over evil" spectrum of storyline. A lot of people have fond memories of the game due to Working Design's translation which was fairly loose and jokey.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 15, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Papercut posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls is that you don't really have to be god's gift to video games to enjoy Dark Souls and finish its content, but that you are still very much rewarded if you are good at the game and play well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has anybody in here ever played any of the Laxius Power games or Laxius Force games, enjoyed them, and are able to say what it was about them that they enjoyed? I'm just really curious because I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would actually like these games outside of them catering to their fetish or catering to their views on the rights of women or due to just having really bad opinions on RPGs.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's been awhile since I was part of that scene, but didn't the developer go on record as pirating RPG Maker 2003? I think he just had a lot of devoted fans who were devoted for no reason. That's the game with the army system ripped from Suikoden, right?

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

It's been awhile since I was part of that scene, but didn't the developer go on record as pirating RPG Maker 2003? I think he just had a lot of devoted fans who were devoted for no reason. That's the game with the army system ripped from Suikoden, right?

Pretty much anybody who used RPG Maker 2003 was pirating it in some form or another until very recently, if ever.

Also, I haven't played Laxius but I think you might be referring to the Legion Saga games, which were basically Suikoden with the serial numbers filed off.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Grinnblade posted:

Pretty much anybody who used RPG Maker 2003 was pirating it in some form or another until very recently, if ever.

Also, I haven't played Laxius but I think you might be referring to the Legion Saga games, which were basically Suikoden with the serial numbers filed off.

You were supposed to pretend like you bought it from the Japanese webstore and applied the English patch to that version, rather than just downloading a torrent with the patch already in place. And yeah, I was thinking of Legion Saga.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
All my custom RTPs... like tears in the rain

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Laxius Force is the game starring a badly drawn hero named "Random Pendragon" and his also badly drawn blue haired elf waifu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

catering to their fetish or catering to their views on the rights of women.
Now you've got me curious. What goes on in these random RPG maker games?

Pornographic Memory posted:

Laxius Force is the game starring a badly drawn hero named "Random Pendragon"
And to be fair, there are worse names out there for RPG protags. :v:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

And to be fair, there are worse names out there for RPG protags. :v:

Edge Maverick from SO4 immediately comes to mind, and that's a big budget RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mill Village posted:

Edge Maverick from SO4 immediately comes to mind, and that's a big budget RPG.

Not an RPG, but my favorite protagonist name will always be Dingo Egret.