Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Man my game is having a lot of trouble loading parts of the map. When im running over it to explore sometime there is nothing there. also harvesting items and killing creature takes longer.
Is this because I didnt make a new character for the update?

I'm curious, what happens if you dig through there, would you drop straight down to the bottom of the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
If it works like multiplayer maps do, it just acts as a wall you can't pass

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just for the sake of amusement, here are the rather telling descriptions that each race has to each race's Villager Spawner:

Apex:
"apexDescription" : "This will let me summon one of my people.",
"avianDescription" : "An Apex dispenser. Unusual.",
"floranDescription" : "Magic monkeyman out of air!",
"glitchDescription" : "Philosophical. Do these spawned beings have souls?",
"humanDescription" : "Cool, a monkey machine.",
"hylotlDescription" : "Why would I want to spawn an Apex?",

Avian:
"apexDescription" : "I could spawn some Avian friends.",
"avianDescription" : "Perhaps I can use this to summon fellow Grounded.",
"floranDescription" : "Floran bring birdmen to Floran!",
"glitchDescription" : "Pondering. What would Kluex think about this?",
"humanDescription" : "Neat, I could summon an army of birds.",
"hylotlDescription" : "I suppose summoning an Avian would be okay.",

Floran:
"apexDescription" : "Spawning Florans could be a disaster.",
"avianDescription" : "I'm not sure I want to spawn Florans.",
"floranDescription" : "Floran sssummon cocoon-kin! Yesss!",
"glitchDescription" : "Pleased. I always enjoy interacting with the plants.",
"humanDescription" : "Let's get some Florans in here and get the party started!",
"hylotlDescription" : "Summoning in some Florans would be a terrible idea.",

Glitch:
"apexDescription" : "I could build a robot army to take down Big Ape.",
"avianDescription" : "Perhaps these Glitch could serve as workers.",
"floranDescription" : "Floran sssummon metal friends!",
"glitchDescription" : "Encouraged. This technology could allow our species to grow exponentially.",
"humanDescription" : "One robot butler, coming up!",
"hylotlDescription" : "I suppose a Glitch would do well for menial tasks.",

Human:
"apexDescription" : "A never-ending supply of hairless apes.",
"avianDescription" : "What could I possibly want with humans?",
"floranDescription" : "Floran not sssure if want to sssummon meat people.",
"glitchDescription" : "Concern. I've heard humans are superstitious about this kind of thing.",
"humanDescription" : "What sinister devilry is this! Human clones?! Awesome.",
"hylotlDescription" : "A human spawner. How delightfully useless.",

Hylotl:
"apexDescription" : "Spawning Hylotls. Uh... maybe later.",
"avianDescription" : "I'll have to take care not to use this too often.",
"floranDescription" : "Floran sssummon fishman right into sssword!",
"glitchDescription" : "Insincere. A Hylotl gathering would be just wonderful.",
"humanDescription" : "Well, I guess one Hylotl wouldn't hurt...",
"hylotlDescription" : "What joy! I can finally surround myself with culture again.",

Apex seem to be treated largely indifferently with no strong feelings one way or another.
Avians are the one race that's universally liked, by all appearances. Even the haughty Hylotl don't mind them.
Florans are distrusted for obvious reasons by many but in terms of personality the other races, especially humans, seem to think they're 'fun'. There's also a reference to a galactic "McFlorans" fast food chain.
Glitch are well liked but not necessarily respected or seen as equals.
Humans are sort of disliked by everyone. Not strongly so, but it seems we're sort of a running joke.
Hylotl are pretty much hated by everyone. Even the Glitch and Avians are not fans.
It's been mentioned before but Glitch and Florans seem to get along exceptionally well, a kind of camaraderie between their species. The beloved Avians meanwhile seem to have the easiest time getting along with the Hylotl. Whatever the Hylotl did to deserve their hate, it must have been pretty severe, because I doubt being snooty hipsters could really have done it alone.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Vib Rib posted:

Whatever the Hylotl did to deserve their hate, it must have been pretty severe, because I doubt being snooty hipsters could really have done it alone.

They're snooty hipsters AND otakus. Truly the scourge of the galaxy (also they're so cute :3: )

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Just noticed this, basically Tiy himself recapping what was posted in that reddit thread from earlier with a bit more detail:
http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/

He says there -should- be only one more wipe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

I thought the tier ten human armor was already a reference to Issac's armor?

It is, yeah, but I'm making my own mod out of it and some of Dead Space's suits are crazy intricate. I'm getting the Advanced Suit out of the way right now so I don't have to do it later, really I was just openly complaining about it. How people like Kas have the patience to make hundreds of sprites for Minecraft, I'll never know.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

CJacobs posted:

It is, yeah, but I'm making my own mod out of it and some of Dead Space's suits are crazy intricate. I'm getting the Advanced Suit out of the way right now so I don't have to do it later, really I was just openly complaining about it. How people like Kas have the patience to make hundreds of sprites for Minecraft, I'll never know.

Kas is a wizard.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Just noticed this, basically Tiy himself recapping what was posted in that reddit thread from earlier with a bit more detail:
http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/

That's a lot of exciting stuff on the cards. If they can implement all of it by the end of next year, then I can easily see the game becoming Minecraft-level huge.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Holy cow, planets are spherical? I've played for almost 20 hours and didn't notice until I decided to head right as far as I could on that Avian Temple planet, only to find myself back at the temple.

I love this game.

edit:

Dominic White posted:

That's a lot of exciting stuff on the cards. If they can implement all of it by the end of next year, then I can easily see the game becoming Minecraft-level huge.

Hopefully they will actually implement the features they say they will too, rather than doing a Minecraft and implementing the crappy features while leaving out anything that's good. I played Minecraft from the late alpha and they didn't implement any of the really exciting features they said they would early on. :(

Except for the Nether, that was pretty sweet.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 17, 2013

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dominic White posted:

I'd be totally content with:

- No more wipes
- Some sort of heating system for cold planets/moons
- Same as above but for airless environments
- A legitimate method to get building materials that you can't craft normally other than "tear down everything"
- A way to choose where to beam down on a planet

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Nanohahn posted:

I recall seeing a mod linked earlier that made the torches cast shadows, but I can't seem to find it now. Would anybody happen to have a link to that still? I've searched the official mod repository to no avail.

Just add " "pointLight" : true, " to the torch.object file in /assets/objects/generic/torch/ and it'll cast shadows. I'm not sure if it has any impact on performance. I assume it does, because otherwise I'm sure the devs would already have all lightsources be pointLights because it looks way prettier.

e: Actually, going to try making all lightsources I know of be pointLights and see how it goes.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 17, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Red stims aren't doing it anymore. I have access to every sector, and enough fuel for a trip, can someone recommend me the absolute best food merchant? I'm an Avian, if my racial recipes matter, and I haven't farmed any food recipes.
Quoting myself from last page, it's a super quick question! Hell, I'd take a bad food merchant.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Man my game is having a lot of trouble loading parts of the map. When im running over it to explore sometime there is nothing there. also harvesting items and killing creature takes longer.
Is this because I didnt make a new character for the update?

I'm having that and some really noticable monster lag when paying single player. I don't THINK there was a patch since I created the character involved but...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I want to make a new character but I kind of want to wait until there's more bosses to re-experience everything. In this regard I don't fear a wipe because I'm waiting to play the game fresh again when the time comes.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Whatever the Hylotl did to deserve their hate, it must have been pretty severe, because I doubt being snooty hipsters could really have done it alone.

The Hylotl are more than just snooty hipsters and otaku jerks, they are literally dismissive of practically everyone else achievments, with the possible exception of the Avian. This is especially egregious as whenever you examine items of Hylotl manufacture, the Hylotl are effusive about how awesome they are and how much others could learn from them... which is called into question whenever anyone else examines their stuff and points out how shoddily made and/or derivative it is. The Glitch are especially harsh.

No one likes them because they think they're are way, way better than everyone else.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Welp, just found out that Kaine - Salvation works extremely well as an .ABC file. Time to run around playing a saxophone version of it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

On the other hand Humans think everything is Cool or Awesome. Florians may have the best examination dialog, but I think Humans have the funniest.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The human revive screen is so totally the machine from The Fifth Element.

So, since you get better ores from going to more dangerous planets this time around, what's the point of a Hellevator? Assuming such a thing is feasible this time.

(Is there/is there going to be a gameplay difference between the races?)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My sentient robot is playing Because I Got High on a harmonica. Truly we are living in the future.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Miijhal posted:

Welp, just found out that Kaine - Salvation works extremely well as an .ABC file. Time to run around playing a saxophone version of it.

Hey, you can't just say that without dropping a link to the ABC file too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Vib Rib posted:

It's been mentioned before but Glitch and Florans seem to get along exceptionally well, a kind of camaraderie between their species.

This makes sense when you note that Florans probably can't eat Glitches. From what I recall one of the defining things about non-PC Florans is that they don't really recognize the other civilizations as being civilizations - they're just funny food bags that have fun things for them to steal and use. Glitches aren't food, so they could count as an actual civilization (and their medieval thing probably puts them closer to the Floran tribal thing)

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Miijhal posted:

Yes, that would be perfect if you drop off a link.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

On the flipside, Hylotls are pretty knowledgeable about most things you can observe, so it's kind of fun to play on one because they're pretty educated about what they're looking at (instead of humans going "woah shiny thing is cool!" or florans going "ssstab!"). Of course, florans going "ssstab" when observing everything is its own kind of fun, so it really just depends.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat it feels good to be a gangster.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

EDIT: ^^^ awesooooome

Speedball posted:

The human revive screen is so totally the machine from The Fifth Element.

So, since you get better ores from going to more dangerous planets this time around, what's the point of a Hellevator? Assuming such a thing is feasible this time.

More and better ore the deeper down you get, too! To some extent. You're not going to get titanium or plutonium on a level one planet, but diamonds and platinum? Sure!

quote:

(Is there/is there going to be a gameplay difference between the races?)

Each race starts with their own food recipes and racial armor recipes; the current plan is for racial armors to have special abilities, but that isn't implemented yet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I spent a while building an airship. Then I accidently hit F11, and it hosed up my game, so I saved and quit. I relaunched my SP and I was on a different planet. Is there a way I can find my air ship again?

Edit: NM i was on an empty MP server.... heh.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 17, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The enemy AI really does glitch out in the weirdest way, now I've found a random miniboss that wouldn't move at all despite being on a perfectly flat surface and me right next hacking away at it.
The only weird part being that we were in the area of a technopyramid whose right side somehow ended jutting out of the ground and considerably into the air.

Babe Magnet posted:

drat it feels good to be a gangster.
Are you also adding words for randomized names or it's just something you added?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Starhawk64 posted:

On the other hand Humans think everything is Cool or Awesome. Florians may have the best examination dialog, but I think Humans have the funniest.
I got a chuckle out of examining the Death Star schematics holo-globe that you can find in human bases and having my character exclaim "Wow! Is that the moon?"
Can't help but see :reject:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Yeah they're grumpy looking as gently caress ^^^

I know how to edit the names, I just haven't yet, so I'll be adding in stuff for randomized names.

There's nothing to these guys right now, sadly. No dungeons or furniture, they don't even have their own ship. Armor's all designed out and ready but I have to make the animations still, and I haven't even started on weapons. But they work, damnit. It's a start!

I can't figure out why some things are recoloring and some things aren't. The horns recolor as the hair, even though they're supposed to match the carapace color. And the "hair" doesn't change at all. I've also got to fix some weird shading issues with the bodies. They're pretty flat right now.

The eyes work though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The reason Florans and Hylotl hate each so goddamn much should be obvious: Florans are carnivorous plants, and Hylotls are herbivorous animals. They're mutual predators.

That said, one of the great lines you get as Hylotl from talking to Florans is "I know the truth, fishman." That owns.

Also as a Hylotl you get random journal updates about the races you interact with that are notes from another Hylotl missionary. One on the Floran says that Florans will loudly claim that anybody who is offered a bed in a Floran house will never be harmed by the owner of the house. This is a lie and Florans will fly into a murderous rage on any of a number of provocations, from percieved insults to "being Hylotl."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Quoting myself from last page, it's a super quick question! Hell, I'd take a bad food merchant.

Food merchant won't cut it, you need to get seeds for the recipes you want. Specifically whatever your entree is for healing and whatever your desert is for speed buff. Avians are actually particularly bad, and if you just want to get access to the food with no care for cheesing it, Apex can make entree and desert with nothing but wheat and banana, which they start with.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Don't know what you guys are talking about but the food merchants/chefs are amazing. Definitely needed on every ship, planet, and tentacle hellhole.

gently caress farming.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MShadowy posted:

The Hylotl are more than just snooty hipsters and otaku jerks, they are literally dismissive of practically everyone else achievments, with the possible exception of the Avian. This is especially egregious as whenever you examine items of Hylotl manufacture, the Hylotl are effusive about how awesome they are and how much others could learn from them... which is called into question whenever anyone else examines their stuff and points out how shoddily made and/or derivative it is. The Glitch are especially harsh.

No one likes them because they think they're are way, way better than everyone else.

They also got their home planet ravaged and taken over by florans but no one seems to think poorly of florans for this. Maybe

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.
Anyone looking for a copy of this? I bought a 4 pack and have one left. $11.25 via paypal and its yours, pm me here or message me on steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/mossdot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grapplejack posted:

They also got their home planet ravaged and taken over by florans but no one seems to think poorly of florans for this. Maybe

Florans are pretty earnest about their feelings. Also they eat eyes.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Apex are uber goons though. Their racial food of choice is a "banana" but it's been so processed even humans think it's toxic, it's all they eat like it's goddamn doritoes, and the main commentary they have about "Roasted Banana" is to complain that it's not battered and fried.

Also they all have neckbeards.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Wait, so any modded races you add just get stuffed into that little side window and don't mess with the pre-existing UI? Huh, I may need to grab some of the cooler ones now.

Nanohahn
Jul 1, 2005

Why, I do believe I spy a president in that there dune.

Dezztroy posted:

Just add " "pointLight" : true, " to the torch.object file in /assets/objects/generic/torch/ and it'll cast shadows. I'm not sure if it has any impact on performance. I assume it does, because otherwise I'm sure the devs would already have all lightsources be pointLights because it looks way prettier.

e: Actually, going to try making all lightsources I know of be pointLights and see how it goes.

That did the trick, thanks a bunch!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There is some kind of weird, subtle subtext, and I get this nebulous impression that the Hylotl are actually worse than they appear. Floran dialog includes lines like "you know what you did" and "Floran know the truth". There's something sinister at work here. A friend of mine suggested that the Hylotl actually engineered the planet-eating Tentacle Beasts as a bio-weapon, like the one that destroyed Earth, thus making them a scourge to the entire galaxy. But I don't know if there's actually anything in the texts to support this.

ProfessorCirno posted:

(and [Glitch] medieval thing probably puts them closer to the Floran tribal thing)
In terms of chronological aesthetics, I'd say it goes Floran (tribal) -> Avian (early Meso-American) -> Glitch (European medieval) -> Human (modern day, presumably) -> Hylotl (cyberpunk/neo-Tokyo stuff) -> Apex (sci-fi future, sterile labs).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

InfinityComplex posted:

Don't know what you guys are talking about but the food merchants/chefs are amazing. Definitely needed on every ship, planet, and tentacle hellhole.

gently caress farming.
Goddamn right. All I ended up doing was going back to Alpha and buying a shitload of wheat and just making bread. Turns out I wanted carrot bread, but whatever, I give no shits, I don't just die of hunger now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Grapplejack posted:

quote:

The reason Florans and Hylotl hate each so goddamn much should be obvious: Florans are carnivorous plants, and Hylotls are herbivorous animals. They're mutual predators.

That said, one of the great lines you get as Hylotl from talking to Florans is "I know the truth, fishman." That owns.

I think this ties into the Floran racial memory thing. The Floran who take Drysap have traumatic flashbacks to plant-warriors fighting "slimy" underwater creatures that set them on fire and burned down their forests.

• Locked thread