Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

toe knee hand posted:

is there any chance i would like it? i get the impression it's a bit anti-feminist

It's... pre-feminist. I think you'd love Peggy, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Crow Jane posted:

it's not pre-feminist there has been a strong feminist movement since world war 1

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
oh yes and you have to watch ab fab (absolutely fabulous) it's loving amazing

ummm

criminal minds is a cool procedural crime show (fbi not cops). the first 2 and 4th seasons of dexter are crazy good, dexter is a serial killer who kills serial killers which becomes as dumb as it sounds in the 5th season so dont bother with the later ones. boston legal is funny and cool and has candace bergen who is awesome. breaking bad is probably one of the best shows this decade

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

toe knee hand posted:

i grew up in vancouver so i watched the x files cuz everyone did because places we knew were featured all the time and that was cool but... i didn't really like it. i'm sorry.

:negative:

mad men is weird for me. i get where it's coming from, but i can't get into it. i have no interest in horrible rich people being horrible to other horrible rich people, everything is so aestheticised and i know they don't really want me to like most of the characters but i cant care about them either. i wouldnt call it antifeminist in a broad sense, but theres only so many times you can watch women get shat on in a tv show and still be entertained

ab fab is horrible rich people being horrible to horrible rich people but it's loving amazing wait a minute

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

toe knee hand posted:

it's not pre-feminist there has been a strong feminist movement since world war 1

I meant in the modern sense of the word, if that makes any sense

Fruity Gordo posted:

:negative:

mad men is weird for me. i get where it's coming from, but i can't get into it. i have no interest in horrible rich people being horrible to other horrible rich people, everything is so aestheticised and i know they don't really want me to like most of the characters but i cant care about them either

ab fab is horrible rich people being horrible to horrible rich people but it's loving amazing

I'm shallow sometimes, and Mad Men is incredibly well-written, well-acted eye candy. The characters are all pretty great, even if they're all horrible in one way or another.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I missed MGS chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8mjKZxccM

boom boom boom you're cool and I like your posting you wouldn't happen to be Dr. Pwn back in the day were you

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
girl i watch gilmore girls, i cant judge anyone for being shallow when it comes to telly :3:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

toe knee hand posted:

is there any chance i would like it? i get the impression it's a bit anti-feminist

Maybe just re-watch stuff you know you like a bunch? Mad Men is set in the 60s so yeah sometimes the patriarchy stars. If you like Greys Anatomy you might like Scandal. Although I would be confused if you did because the lead is a strong woman who is completely dependent on a terrible guy.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I meant in the modern sense of the word, if that makes any sense

I'm shallow sometimes, and Mad Men is incredibly well-written, well-acted eye candy. The characters are all pretty great, even if they're all horrible in one way or another.

Exactly. There are feminist characters that do what you would hope women in the 60s would do but if you're pre-nixing it because of a fear that it's anti-feminist maybe just skip it.

Also Jon Hamm.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I would let Jon Hamm do terrible things to me. John Slattery and Christina Hendricks as well

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

"My Screw Up" :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3KAaU7kFs

:qq:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I disappear for a few days and I don't even know what's going on in the ladythread anymore.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Crow Jane posted:

my favorite peggy scene was the one where the episode literally ended with her looking slightly confused at a couple of dogs loving in a parking lot. ive been trying to find a gif or video of it for the longest time.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
what kind of holiday deals does sephora have right about now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't want to harsh on anyone else's TV choices, because everyone has the right to enjoy what they want and it's no big deal. That said, in my personal and in no way authoritative opinion, Downton Abbey season 1 was pretty a'ight, and everything past that is insanely awful.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

my favorite peggy scene was the one where the episode literally ended with her looking slightly confused at a couple of dogs loving in a parking lot. ive been trying to find a gif or video of it for the longest time.

Amazing scene. I also like the one where she's driving a motorcycle around an empty studio with a bored look on her face. And the time Don had some kind of drunken freakout and threw a glass and you see Peggy's head pop over the dividing wall to see what's going on.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I apparently look like Paris from Gilmore girls

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
how do you feel about anime, toe knee hand?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

two words

brendan

fraser

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

circ dick soleil posted:

how do you feel about anime, toe knee hand?

no anime

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I apparently look like Paris from Gilmore girls

i once had a gay man tell me i looked like prince william (pre-hair loss). it was v nice and a definite ego boost

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Wildlife Analysis posted:

i once had a gay man tell me i looked like prince william (pre-hair loss). it was v nice and a definite ego boost

he actually said you look like a prince albert. completely different stuff.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A little girl once told me I looked like a young Madonna, that was pretty cool. I get silent film actress comparisons pretty often, but that's almost certainly just because I have short, curly hair and sort of large eyes

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

circ dick soleil posted:

he actually said you look like a prince albert. completely different stuff.

p sexy i must say, thanks babe

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

A little girl once told me I looked like a young Madonna, that was pretty cool. I get silent film actress comparisons pretty often, but that's almost certainly just because I have short, curly hair and sort of large eyes

Between that and X-Files we need to make sure my husband never meets you. His favorite lady trait is giant eyes. I do not have them.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Toe knee hand you may actually be into Fringe. It's sci fi and the female lead is awesome. I've only seen the first 2-3 seasons and it gets weird, but it's really good.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

detectivemonkey posted:

Between that and X-Files we need to make sure my husband never meets you. His favorite lady trait is giant eyes. I do not have them.

loves his anime, eh?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

detectivemonkey posted:

Toe knee hand you may actually be into Fringe. It's sci fi and the female lead is awesome. I've only seen the first 2-3 seasons and it gets weird, but it's really good.

okay i'll watch an episode or two and see, thanks

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Wildlife Analysis posted:

loves his anime, eh?

Surprisingly, not even a little. Mostly Zoe Deschanel and Kristen Schaal.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

toe knee hand posted:

six feet under sounds cool, i'll check that out.

i don't watch much TV but Six Feet Under is one of the greatest shows of all-time I own the box set and everything. It's a really character-driven show, and the series really builds on itself. The conclusion doesn't even suck, it's really pretty masterful

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Machai posted:

Is there edible nail polish? I bite my nails when I am bored so it would be cool to add some flavor.

No, but you can get creative with things that aren't technically nail polish.

This took 7 coats. :negative:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
w-why...

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

two words

brendan

fraser

he's cool but I can't see him as anything except his character in the mummy

also I occasionally get him and nathan fillion confused

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why not? :haw:

The nail care thread talks about matte nail polish sometimes. That seems to be a misnomer, matte polish, should probably be called nail paint. But whatever. I thought I'd like to try that, but not enough actually spend money on a matte "polish" or top coat. So I improvised.

The polish ladies post all these great shots where they are clutching the polish they used, and I thought it would be funny to do a shot like that but with not-polish. It wasn't though. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Torka posted:

he's cool but I can't see him as anything except his character in the mummy

also I occasionally get him and nathan fillion confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rirPLLYBys

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Why not? :haw:

The nail care thread talks about matte nail polish sometimes. That seems to be a misnomer, matte polish, should probably be called nail paint. But whatever. I thought I'd like to try that, but not enough actually spend money on a matte "polish" or top coat. So I improvised.

The polish ladies post all these great shots where they are clutching the polish they used, and I thought it would be funny to do a shot like that but with not-polish. It wasn't though. :(

no that poo poo was legit funny I just forgot to comment

re: tv shows, I don't watch tv much but I've been watching this old show called Alias with my mom and stepdad and it has so many stupid double agent subplots but it's great because of that

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
whats up biatches. get at me

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
cat update

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Your cat is my cat with a perm