Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I guess this would be the place to post a preview photo of the thing I got my Santee:

Modular dungeon tiles are cool.

:aaaaa: Who makes it? Where can I get it? :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

I've got some river sections that I plan on painting soon, and I want to go for a winter theme for the snow table at my LGS. What's a good way to get chunks of floating ice? I'm thinking clear plastic like from blister packs, but I'd like to hear a couple ideas and pointers on making it look at least a little bit realistic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ice...iw=1280&bih=867

Randomly cut plasticard, carefully broken plaster sheets, white-painted thin foam, etc. Ice floes are very rarely clear - they're usually white.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Baron Snow posted:

:aaaaa: Who makes it? Where can I get it? :aaaaa:

It's made by these dudes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FreedCreativity

I personally own the prototypes for the 3D tiles. I got the 2D ones for my Santee because unfortunately they hadn't started making the 3D ones for sale yet. I have no idea when they'll sell them but if you email them they would probably cut you some. The minis also totally work with those official D&D acrylic standee things that GF9 makes so that's a bonus.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Saw this on the Warlord Games page:

That Dolphin Shack must be one hell of a terrain piece :stare:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Too bad it looks like that stuff is for the UK only :( Its not in the US store at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Do you have any idea how much Dolphin costs? It's nearly as much as Californian Condor, and just as tasty :v:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

LumberingTroll posted:

Too bad it looks like that stuff is for the UK only :( Its not in the US store at all.

But then why are all the prices in dollars?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

ineptmule posted:

But then why are all the prices in dollars?

Lazyness? Check out the US store, none of that terrain is there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

Lazyness? Check out the US store, none of that terrain is there.

Actually, the US store is where I got the screenshot from originally. The terrain should be under the "New Releases" tab.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Actually, the US store is where I got the screenshot from originally. The terrain should be under the "New Releases" tab.

Ah, I was checking under Judge Dredd. Because the first two are from that line. I see now, my mistake.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

Ah, I was checking under Judge Dredd. Because the first two are from that line. I see now, my mistake.

No worries, it threw me as well the first time when I was looking for terrain. I also noticed they had the Deadzone terrain from Mantic for sale there, too. :)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

LumberingTroll posted:

If only there was an enterprising goon with a laser cutter and a shitload of MDF who could produce some US-based terrain...

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Has anyone used textured wallpaper as a mat for a gaming table? I'm looking for something in a cobblestone or otherwise suitably medieval looking pattern, and have seen mention of people using paintable textured wallpaper for this purpose, but I am unable to find anything I like that is purchasable online.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

If only there was an enterprising goon with a laser cutter and a shitload of MDF who could produce some US-based terrain...

If only that goon wasnt working 14 - 16 hours a day at the office seven days a week... for the past year and a half. :shepicide:

I am actually making slow progress, and will probably have one of my employees help me with production once I am to that point. (I own the studio)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Acceptableloss posted:

Has anyone used textured wallpaper as a mat for a gaming table? I'm looking for something in a cobblestone or otherwise suitably medieval looking pattern, and have seen mention of people using paintable textured wallpaper for this purpose, but I am unable to find anything I like that is purchasable online.

Whenever I'm in the DIY stores I look but can never find anything at the right scale and with the right look. That, and anything textured will probably get dinged up pretty quickly.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you head to dollar tree this time of year you can get cobble/brick paths made out of rubber for Christmas villages. Sure you don't get much (like 15x4 inches or something) but its only a dollar.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So I found the Christmas village mat that people have referred to:
http://www.ehobbytools.com/contents/en-us/p859.html

Not a terrible price either, though 18x36 is a rather inconvenient dimension....

tothelastman
Jan 30, 2013
Hi guys. I was sent over here from the warhammer 40k megathread. I'll self quote my post

tothelastman posted:

Hey guys. I mostly lurk around here. But I'm excited enough about this that I'd like to share my works in progress with you. I hope this is okay with the mods.

I started learning how to laser cut wood terrain. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around but for now I'm working heavily on fortifications. Full disclosure, I'm seriously thinking about selling these eventually. For now though, they're very much prototypes and I'd very much like to hear any feedback you're willing to share.

I just got a Sony a65 and I barely know anything about it. This is also my first time setting up a light box for minis photography. Please bear with me if some of these pictures suck.

The pieces are designed to be modular so that you can arrange them however you want and you can discard central decks/planks and just use the walls if you want.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Acceptableloss posted:

So I found the Christmas village mat that people have referred to:
http://www.ehobbytools.com/contents/en-us/p859.html

Not a terrible price either, though 18x36 is a rather inconvenient dimension....

There's also this stuff, it's for doing streets and stuff for railroad modelling. Basically its paper with raised textures and an adhesive backing:

http://www.micromark.com/cobblestone-paper-4-sheets-o-scale,8523.html

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
This thread is pretty inspirational! I'm a complete noob when it comes to D I Y stuff like this, but I was wanting to make a very simple board for 40k - 6x4 foot, cut into 6 2x2 squares for storage purposes. I can use a saw so that isn't Outrageously hard

Would MDF work for that? My plan was then to just flock it, do goons recommend any sort of high bulk cheap flock or modelling sand?

From there I wanted to make modular roads and rivers - will investigate Vallejo water effects and I saw people posting almost wallpaper strips of road vinyl which I could glue onto cardboard which looked pretty cool

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lord Twisted posted:

This thread is pretty inspirational! I'm a complete noob when it comes to D I Y stuff like this, but I was wanting to make a very simple board for 40k - 6x4 foot, cut into 6 2x2 squares for storage purposes. I can use a saw so that isn't Outrageously hard

Would MDF work for that? My plan was then to just flock it, do goons recommend any sort of high bulk cheap flock or modelling sand?

From there I wanted to make modular roads and rivers - will investigate Vallejo water effects and I saw people posting almost wallpaper strips of road vinyl which I could glue onto cardboard which looked pretty cool

As I mentioned above the strips of road are a dollar at Dollar Tree right now. They are in the christmas village section. I tend to like MDF for modular boards, but I've also seen Plywood and my friend used those foam yoga mat tiles. Generally you use bulk sand, usually aquarium sand since its very fine grain.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Lord Twisted posted:

MDF will be fine for that in 2' x 2' chunks, any bigger and you have to start worrying about it warping in storage when resting up against a wall or something. I'm in the process of making a 3' x 3' Malifaux board with a bit of a surround around the playing area and I went overboard and made a frame for it and everything. As long as you can lay the 2' tiles down with support you'll be fine. i.e. if your kitchen table is less than 4' wide, you might have some issues if someone accidentally leans on one of the edges :) Just something to look out for.

You can even get most DIY stores to cut sheets of MDF to size for you for free (seriously, do this, it removes a lot of the headache of measuring.. measuring again.. then oh god I made a mistake and wasted a £10 sheet of MDF)

I always go with sand but that's because I know I can seal it down with watered down PVA and it becomes solid as a rock then. I've never had sand flake off of a model's base / piece of terrain before now using that sealing method.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :) Most stuff can be tackled with a bit of common sense and logic and a slow considered approach, don't rush anything and it'll turn out amazing.

edit: another quick tip that I think a lot of people don't realise when they're sticking flock to a huge area, though it will be less likely to effect you on smaller boards. Rather than putting glue over the whole board and then throwing your flock / sand on in one go, paint strips of glue across the width of the board, say 1' to 2' wide, pour flock / sand on that strip but (and this is important!) don't cover the whole strip, once you've put your flock / sand down, paint on another 1' to 2' strip of glue and repeat but never ever cover the whole strip of glue with flock / sand until you get to the end of the board. If that makes no sense, I can whip up a quick diagram.

If you don't do this, you'll find the glue gets slightly less effective on one end and you'll end up with holes in your coverage which is a real bug bear for perfectionist asswipes like me.

enri fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 17, 2013

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

enri posted:

edit: another quick tip that I think a lot of people don't realise when they're sticking flock to a huge area, though it will be less likely to effect you on smaller boards. Rather than putting glue over the whole board and then throwing your flock / sand on in one go, paint strips of glue across the width of the board, say 1' to 2' wide, pour flock / sand on that strip but (and this is important!) don't cover the whole strip, once you've put your flock / sand down, paint on another 1' to 2' strip of glue and repeat but never ever cover the whole strip of glue with flock / sand until you get to the end of the board. If that makes no sense, I can whip up a quick diagram.

If you don't do this, you'll find the glue gets slightly less effective on one end and you'll end up with holes in your coverage which is a real bug bear for perfectionist asswipes like me.

As I mentioned above the strips of road are a dollar at Dollar Tree right now. They are in the christmas village section. I tend to like MDF for modular boards, but I've also seen Plywood and my friend used those foam yoga mat tiles. Generally you use bulk sand, usually aquarium sand since its very fine grain.

Would need a diagram to get what you mean! And by Aquarium sand, do you mean stuff like this? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/sand-mix-aquarium-gravel-8kg-by-pets-at-home-25788

Hadn't really thought about that. 8 KG (!) for £11 seems like a good deal if my friend and I both pitch in for it.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

There's also this stuff, it's for doing streets and stuff for railroad modelling. Basically its paper with raised textures and an adhesive backing:

http://www.micromark.com/cobblestone-paper-4-sheets-o-scale,8523.html

O scale is the closest to 40k/ warmachine/etc. right?

How durable do you think that textured paper would be if used as a gaming tabletop?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Acceptableloss posted:

O scale is the closest to 40k/ warmachine/etc. right?

How durable do you think that textured paper would be if used as a gaming tabletop?
Yep.

That paper accepts airbrushing, so it's got to have some resilience. The down side is that it is in 6x9 sheets, so you're going to need a lot to do a board. Personally, I'd look for wallpaper with a similar texture - you're going to get a lot more for less money. Another option is to use foam insulation board and draw the cobblestones with a ballpoint pen - it will take a while, but you will get some good results.

Or do this.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lord Twisted posted:

Would need a diagram to get what you mean! And by Aquarium sand, do you mean stuff like this? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/sand-mix-aquarium-gravel-8kg-by-pets-at-home-25788

Hadn't really thought about that. 8 KG (!) for £11 seems like a good deal if my friend and I both pitch in for it.

Normal sand is cheaper but the grain size (how big the individual pieces of sand are) is much larger so some people who do modelling like Aquarium sand because it looks closer in scale to miniatures.

I think the UK equivalent to Dollar Tree would be Poundland/99P. No idea if they have the model road strips in stock right now but they are common in all those kind of shops this time of year (also in Hobby Lobby if you have one of those).

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yep.

That paper accepts airbrushing, so it's got to have some resilience. The down side is that it is in 6x9 sheets, so you're going to need a lot to do a board. Personally, I'd look for wallpaper with a similar texture - you're going to get a lot more for less money. Another option is to use foam insulation board and draw the cobblestones with a ballpoint pen - it will take a while, but you will get some good results.

Or do this.

The 6x9 thing sucks but each of those packs comes with 4 sheets so it's more like one 12x18 inch square. Still spendy when compared to using something like Sculptamold and a roller.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I was looking for something to base my tiles on, and just happened to be at IKEA for some Christmas shopping. And there they had a nice cork board for cheap, which was really suitable since the thickness of the frame means that there should be less of a problem with paint scratching off the board. The only problem is that it is slightly bigger than I was planning for, so I had to cast (and clean up) some 350 hexes. Oh well.

One evening of resin casting and one of painting later, here's the board:

Yes, there will be owlbears.

Everything except for the stones and puddles was painted with cut up squares of a kitchen sponge, and I can really recommend this as a method for terrain painters. Just stipple or brush paint all over your big terrain pieces with a sponge and some cheap hobby acrylics, it takes almost no time at all. Each layer of brown took about 10 minutes for this large board, and you can easily do highlights by going over with lighter shades.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 19, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Never doubted for a moment, liljonas. That looks dope as all hell.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fix posted:

Never doubted for a moment, liljonas. That looks dope as all hell.

Thanks! I tried to make tiles that can easily be painted for various "moods". This is the marshlands type map, and I think I can pull off a browner cave map and a darker blue/grey catacombs map by basically giving the same set of tiles a different paint job. I could easily make a small set of 5-6 "themed" tiles for another map as well, and mix them in, as well as making themed line-of-sight blockers such as stalagmites, coffins, fungus mounds and such.

I also just now got this crazy idea of magnetizing a set of tiles and mounting them on a small whiteboard, it should be really fun to puzzle a map together for each game, with the risk of it taking way too much time.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 19, 2013

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I've gotten some great advice on the debris of civilisation from you Goons, but the stores I'm expecting delivery from are having problems - busy and hospital trips :s

I have however made progress on another piece. I had plans to attach buttresses to my bulkheads right from the beginning, but the best way to do it eluded me until now. I had thought about casting the parts, but that would have caused all kinds of difficulties.

One of my friends has access to a laser cutter and made me a batch of these from a concept sketch I made and some plasticard templates.

Each one is made of 3 parts and there are two different designs.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Hah, nice! Good work on those, the Necromunda pieces aren't so easy to come by anymore.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I guess this is terrain (cross-posting from the DIY and Hobbies thread).

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pilgrimski posted:

One of my friends has access to a laser cutter and made me a batch of these from a concept sketch I made and some plasticard templates.

What material are those cut out of? It looks like a thick cardboard.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh right, I guess I've got some terrain too. Sorta.

(It doesn't look like the corners are square, but they are, it's just that the nearest wall is angled out a bit to make the mold easier to remove, hopefully.)

My first custom mold, it has some pre-assembled pieces for the modular dungeon parts I'm making. This mold includes the floor and wall sections for a room corner, as well as a skull and a couple sconces. Forgot to get a WIP shot before I poured the silicone in, though. So now instead of casting my floor mold once and my wall mold like three times, and having a bunch of random stuff left over that I don't want as well as none of the parts in the right ratios, I'll cast this once and I'll have a corner piece practically ready to go.

Next up, assuming this works out, I'll make molds for blank floors, room edges, and corridors.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Casting update: the mold came out GREAT, I'm ecstatic. I figured I'd have to try a couple times just to figure it out, but nope, first try was golden.

This was the master for the mold I made. There were sides on there, but I peeled them off to free the mold.

The mold itself. It came out SO WELL.

Makes three pieces (plus a skull and a couple sconces and some other random bits):

And they assemble like so!

(A couple bubbles in that one because I made my plaster too thick, the mold itself doesn't appear to have any flaws at all.)

Now instead of casting three molds multiple times to get an odd ratio of parts for one or two room pieces, each casting gets me a room. So much better, I'm stoked. Can't wait to make the other mold for the parts I need, it's gonna be soooo much more productive.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 29, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Been working on some stuff. I'm trying to come up with a basic set of terrain for Warmachine/Malifaux/Warhammer Fantasy and whatever other mildly steampunk not-quite historical board game you could imagine. Nothing fancy, just some basics - buildings, walls, scatter terrain, etc. Partly I'm doing it so I can try out some new casting techniques, up to and including slushcasting with resin and filling in with hard foam.

To start with, I played around with some basic foam carving techniques. Just some pink foam, scored with an xacto, and then textured by pushing in some bricks, texturing with rocks, etc, to try and get a more detailed rock texture. Here's it on a larger scale:

I wanted to see how it would cast up, so I tried carving up some walls. These are 1/2 thick and 1" high - the long sections are 6". Here's a new example I'm working on now, with cereal-box cardboard used for metal strips and rivets:

I made a mold using Smooth-On's new Mold Max NV (no vacuum). I like it a lot and I think it might be my new go-to low cost mold material. Here's the mold of the walls, along with a couple of molds for some crates that I'll talk about later:

The molds were initially a wreck - being used to platinum silicon, I didn't use any mold release, and had to spend the better part of a morning picking out foam bits with tweezers. I also inadvertently carved the crap out of places in the mold I shouldn't have. Oops! Regardless, I cast some in resin and they were OK - not the best detail in places, and you could certainly see the pieces of mold I had carved up. Here are some wall sections, along with some doors and windows I built out of plasticard and putty and cast up for making buildings. I marked one of the mold cuts so you could see what I mean:

That didn't stop me from slapping a quick drybrush on one of the resin sets for the Painting Oath thread:

Still, it was a good start, so I cast it up a couple more times in plaster and, once the placter was starting to dry, took to it with some sculpying tools/ I carved them up, deepened the crevices, added texture, etc. It also allowed me to do a couple versions of them - one set "mostly intact" and one set "mostly ruined". Once I was happy with them I sprayed them with some gloss clearcoat to help seal them. I'll be using these to cast a new mold, and this time I'll remember the mold release! The final master models are here (mostly intact is in the back, mostly ruined is in the front:

I've also made some basic crates and barrels using wooden blocks as a base, and covering them with plasticard. I use a scraper thing (not sure what it's called - it's like a dental pick with a sharp hook that you use to score off a sliver of plasticard) and an xacto to get the wood grain. I had previously made molds of these and cast a bunch in resin. Recently, I put them together into different arrangements and greenstuffed the seams. I'll make molds of these and use them for warehouse-style scatter terrain. Think Mass Effect - it's not a skirmish battle unless you're ducking from crate to crate. Here are some of the arrangements I came up with:

I had also come up with some sci-fi versions, but they might be too simplistic. I'm not 100% certain, but I might re-do these with some more sophisticated crate designs.

Finally, I eventually want to cast larger terrain pieces, like buildings and hills. Here are some in-progress trial pieces. We'll see if I come up with anything worth casting. As of now they're mostly just foam cut to shape, with some of the texturing started. I'm thinking of using a combo of stone and a half-timber style, using riveted steel in place of timber. To speed the process, I'll make molds of some of the architectural details, like the doors and windows. Still not sure if I'll do shingled roofs, or steel roofs. Probably the former, as more texture is good, and it would be more useful for a wider variety of systems. Casting these will require a rigid mother mold and expanding foam, which I am a bit nervous about. We'll see, though!

Next up are more work on the walls and buldings. I'll want to make a larger warehouse style building, and some accessories (like chimneys, external tanks, and the like) that can be added onto the buildings for variety. To be continued!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's what I need to make: some crates and barrels. Other furniture would be nice too, but that'd be a good start and provide handy cover.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
In another entry into the file called "this hobby will give me cancer" today I made a river board using the time honored railroad hobby method: propane torching a styrofoam board.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

In another entry into the file called "this hobby will give me cancer" today I made a river board using the time honored railroad hobby method: propane torching a styrofoam board.

The other day I was thinking to myself, maybe I should build one of those hot wire thingies. A bunsen burner would be much easier, though. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Paper Mac posted:

The other day I was thinking to myself, maybe I should build one of those hot wire thingies. A bunsen burner would be much easier, though. Thanks.

Do you have a stove and a screwdriver or butter knife you don't like very much?