Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

WRXmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

exempt posted:

After proving I could drive a manual in his Willy's he let me drive the Thing.

It's pronounced like Willis. There is no apostrophe.

Saw this chromed-out Lexus today, snapped a quick and dirty shot from the passenger seat:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Unexpectedly awesome Saturday evening:

Buddy who I didn't know was a car guy was doing a master / slave cylinder on his '88 Lotus Esprit turbo and needed a hand. Popped over to help.

Quickly got to this point:

loving English engineers. Who thought it would be a good idea to force you to disassemble the brake master cylinder / booster to get the clutch master cylinder off of their common mounting bracket?

A little brute force and ignorance got us there. But wow, that was a rude surprise. I thought German engineers were bastards.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like it was originally designed to use an unassisted master cylinder, and they painted themselves into a corner when they added the servo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Almost passed out from excitement when I saw someone had posted this to the Lego cuusoo site.

Of course, there was only one thing I could look up after seeing this.

Unfortunately a rendering is all I could find. No idea why it says "Slave 1" on there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boomerjinks posted:

Almost passed out from excitement when I saw someone had posted this to the Lego cuusoo site.

Are you able to link a photo of the actual vehicle, for the uninitiated? I really don't know what that's meant to be, it seems preposterous.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Slavvy posted:

Are you able to link a photo of the actual vehicle, for the uninitiated? I really don't know what that's meant to be, it seems preposterous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Snow_Cruiser

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

They seriously took an Antarctic specific vehicle to Antarctica using some kind of weird rear end treadless swamp tires and without testing the tires on snow and ice first? One would think that big ol knobby tires with spikes would have been the first thing they considered when they were thinking about what kind of tires to use.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My dad worked as a surveyor in Iraq back in the early 1960's They drove all over the desert in Chevy Pickups with Bedouin as their guides/navigators since there were no roads. He took all these pics and developed them in his tent on dark nights.

Geez, look at that frame twist!

I need this, and a car to back it up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
How to load logs onto a truck if you're Russian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oBO8yt9Btk

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Boomerjinks posted:

Unfortunately a rendering is all I could find. No idea why it says "Slave 1" on there.

A Futurliner! I got a buddy that's on a crew that's doing a ground up restoration on one of those. Futurliner #3 to be exact. I always look forward to his updates on Facebook. I really need to get up to Salt Lake so I can drop by the shop and see it in person.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/06/21/most-original-unrestored-futurliner-goes-under-the-knife-for-full-restoration/

http://i.imgur.com/t8U7kvE.jpg

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

Of course, there was only one thing I could look up after seeing this.

If you put it up on it's rear it kinda looks like slave I if you fold out the storage doors

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This Snow Cruiser is the best thing I've ever seen.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 17, 2013

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

echoplex posted:

It looks like something out of thunderbirds, I'd love to see it in a museum

wikipedia posted:

....the vehicle most likely is either at the bottom of the Southern Ocean or buried deep under snow and ice.

Oh :smith:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

How to load logs onto a truck if you're Russian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oBO8yt9Btk

One of the related videos...

http://youtu.be/mvxeYBJIreE

Not car related but :wtc:

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

One of the related videos...

http://youtu.be/mvxeYBJIreE

Not car related but :wtc:

Not ashamed (ok maybe a little), but I followed the very same related video.

I think we're what's wrong with youtube's suggestion engine.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Geez, look at that frame twist!

:stare: I seriously thought the reason the bumper was all off-kilter like that was that they had crashed. Holy poo poo.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

:911:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I couldn't get a picture because my phone was in my pocket, but on the way home last night from work, I saw a pristine, completely bone stock Fiero. It was like going back in time 20 years.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

echoplex posted:

Convertible police car as well, photo is all kinds of weird.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

I couldn't get a picture because my phone was in my pocket, but on the way home last night from work, I saw a pristine, completely bone stock Fiero. It was like going back in time 20 years.

29-25 years :colbert:

I have fond childhood memories in my mom's 2M4 including the times someone tried to hot wire it, and the time we ran over a javelina and nearly wrecked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26I2Xr5_Ng

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 18, 2013

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

My buddy has an (except for the radio) otherwise completely stock '88 Formula Fiero. It's hardly pristine, but all things considered, it's not bad. Daily drives it, too. Now if I can only get him to sell it to me like he was originally supposed too. He's fallen in love with it, though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Great car or greatest car?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
From my facebook (posted by the owner)

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Shrapnac posted:

Not even the greatest Penthouse car.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Shrapnac posted:

Joe Porsche or Joest Porsche?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Good.

I also really like those wheels for some reason.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kakairo posted:

Not even the greatest Penthouse car.

It's a Pooh Jeans M1 with Penthouse as an auxiliary sponsor, not a Penthouse car you philistine.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

nm posted:

His detailer is gonna have a field day

(I love seeing cars like that actually used)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Shrapnac posted:

It's a Pooh Jeans M1 with Penthouse as an auxiliary sponsor, not a Penthouse car you philistine.

Silly old Pooh Bear

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So this is awesome...

quote:

McLaren has revealed that it’s working on a futuristic replacement for the humble windscreen wiper.

Using top-secret technology developed for fighter jets, the wiper-killing system is rumoured to create a force-field that prevents objects from sticking to the glass. Talking to The Sunday Times, chief designer Frank Stephenson explained that “nothing will attach to the windscreen.”

Rumours suggest that a force-field will be made by bouncing 30kHz waves across the glass, producing small vibrations that prevent any form of water or dirt from sticking. This effective technology removes the need for wiper motors and wiper arms, which saves weight and reduces drag.

The positive knock-on effects include improved fuel efficiency and, more importantly, improved performance.

http://www.carthrottle.com/mclarens-force-field-tech-could-kill-the-humble-windscreen-wiper/

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

As cool as that sounds, what the hell happens when you expose it to the frozen north where you're windshield gets covered in thick heavy snow and ice. It might not stick the windshield but it will for sure pile up on it. I know this probably won't be an issue for a McLaren, or most other supercars, since I doubt there's many that have even seen snow, but if it ends up being mainstream in 5-10 years time I'm curious how it would handle that situation

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

As cool as that sounds, what the hell happens when you expose it to the frozen north where you're windshield gets covered in thick heavy snow and ice. It might not stick the windshield but it will for sure pile up on it. I know this probably won't be an issue for a McLaren, or most other supercars, since I doubt there's many that have even seen snow, but if it ends up being mainstream in 5-10 years time I'm curious how it would handle that situation

Heated windshield/defrost?

It would pre pretty drat cool if this tech works and can be made cheap enough to show up in regular cars.

Although I'd imagine you'd need to clean the windscreen by hand after the car has been sitting and collets dust/leaves/bird poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I won't be impressed until the windshield can repel bird poo poo with its force-field.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

nm posted:

Haha that makes so little sense to me that at first I didn't see it. I was like "Yeah, a Lambo. Ok, it's at Kroger and it's parked kinda funny. Wait...is that a TREE?"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Reminds me of the Top Gear 'drive across Italy in expensive cars' episode and Jeremy had a weird tangent about Lamborghini using lasers to zap water off the windshield.

Edit: vvvv Yep.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 19, 2013

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Reminds me of the Top Gear 'drive across Italy in expensive cars' episode and Jeremy had a weird tangent about Lamborghini using lasers to zap water off the windshield.

Wasn't May driving a McLaren in that episode too?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Haha that makes so little sense to me that at first I didn't see it. I was like "Yeah, a Lambo. Ok, it's at Kroger and it's parked kinda funny. Wait...is that a TREE?"

oh gently caress, I didn't catch that, thought that was just a shrub in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I invented that 10 years ago. Thin sheet of air blown at high pressure up the windshield from the base. Warm air would be drawn from the engine compartment, improving cooling and would thaw any ice.