Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Judging by the respawn animation, apex are probably just humans mutated by Big Ape himself in an attempt to control his very own species. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

Tulip posted:

Hylotl are taking perpetual baths, their hygeine is probably pretty good. Meanwhile Apex live entirely off of processed "superfood" like it's loving Soylent and genetically engineered themselves into all having neckbeards, even the women.

Every race is secretly goons except Humans who are not-so-secretly goons.

On a slightly more serious note I find it amusing that they made Humans (or at least the Human PCs) the "comedy" option of Starbound. I guess that's one way to make people care about them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The other way would have been to not give several of the more interesting aspects of Human culture to other races, making them all "human" in a mostly significant sense, but I guess this way was easier.

E: Dug into an underground layer once and all the background tiles were bricks and the little pixel-filled capsules were tiny houses.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

So I found a a doctor spawner in a chest and put it on my ship. What kind of doctor do I get? a floran. :crossarms:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mice Everywhere posted:

Having space gas stations/diners randomly spawn in galaxies would be cool, especially if you could dock and walk around in them.
Eat At Joes

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Jackard posted:

Eat At Joes

I was thinking more along the lines of the diner from Space Balls

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, can you put captured monsters back in their balls? Because I have two little guys on the ship now and want to see if I can't take them with me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

legoman727 posted:

So, can you put captured monsters back in their balls? Because I have two little guys on the ship now and want to see if I can't take them with me.

You have to beat them back down and throw a new ball at them.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Man Whore posted:

So I found a a doctor spawner in a chest and put it on my ship. What kind of doctor do I get? a floran. :crossarms:

What better race for ssstabbing you with ssstims?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Man Whore posted:

Well, they are likely to be intimately familiar with your internal organs :chef:

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

So point lighting looks rather interesting

Big downside is it's a lot more resource intensive than regular lighting. Big upside is it looks really cool.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Every time I go to browse the Starbound general board I regret it within a few minutes.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

the night dad posted:

Judging by the respawn animation, apex are probably just humans mutated by Big Ape himself in an attempt to control his very own species. :shrug:

According to the codex entries I've found so far, the Apex are humans or near-humans that genetically engineered themselves to be more intelligent around 100 years ago. This engineering also caused them to devolve physically, which is why they resemble apes.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
No, god no. I'm in the X sector looking for cerulium and I stumbled on an Avian house. When I interacted with the owner,

"You're masterworks all. You can't go wrong!"

I killed them without remorse.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can anyone suggest a reliable host for a Starbound server?

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Miijhal posted:

No, god no. I'm in the X sector looking for cerulium and I stumbled on an Avian house. When I interacted with the owner,

"You're masterworks all. You can't go wrong!"

I killed them without remorse.

I feel this is a reference, but I can't quite guess it..

V Oh, Derr.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OrangeSoda posted:

I feel this is a reference, but I can't quite guess it..

Dragon's Dogma

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Of course Avians are console ubermenschen. :colbert:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Syndlig posted:

So point lighting looks rather interesting

Big downside is it's a lot more resource intensive than regular lighting. Big upside is it looks really cool.

Yeah, I changed pretty much every light source in the game to be point lights and it looks great. Just don't change the invisible lights on your ship to be point lights. My framerate was maybe 0.5fps. :v:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Could MShadowy or anyone else who has experimented with making their own ship(s) take a look at this and tell me if they see what isn't working? I tried swapping my stuff out for one of the race's files, but it isn't working. When I try to select a brand new character of that species it just hangs for a bit then dumps me back to the main menu with an error message about server connections (in single player?).

dropship.structure

I even tried just renaming the images to the standard shipship.png and dropshipblocks.png and using the standard .structure file and that didn't work.

I was about to run a checklist on it, but you mentioned server issues and having dealt with that myself already I'm pretty sure that means the problem is that you don't have a teleporter pad to spawn in on. Since it doesn't know how to add your character to the world without a teleporter it tells you that the server timed out, because that is totally helpful when you're trying to play single player.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 17, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So all these cool much bigger ships - I'm assuming that's connected to a mod?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Of course Avians are console ubermenschen. :colbert:

It's spelled untermenschen.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Hearing there were some sad children trapped in a prison in Sector X, Burt the Fairy God-bot went to see if he could raise their spirits.

Unfortunately they didn't seem to appreciate his accordion solos...

...so he had to administer some spankings.

I love this game

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 17, 2013

DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

So all these cool much bigger ships - I'm assuming that's connected to a mod?

This is correct. There's mods all over the place that let you swap the ship you have for custom ships or sanboxes so you can build your own.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I love the Fully Customizable Ship mod...

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 17, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So is there a lava world down in the depths of each planet? Underneath the meat layer I somehow found an underground desert growing melons in huge caves.

I like how sand now flows in a pyramid instead of forming columns.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Totally Reasonable posted:

It's spelled untermenschen.

:doh: I meant to type that, but I've been up for ~19 hours now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Speedball posted:

So is there a lava world down in the depths of each planet? Underneath the meat layer I somehow found an underground desert growing melons in huge caves.

If you go deep enough there should be, but how far down varies with planet size.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anyone who's in Sector X, post your tech chest locations on the spreadsheet, I'm sick of sticking to double jump when cool things like bubble and gravity neutralizer allegedly exist!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
avianeyebutts.jpg

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Could MShadowy or anyone else who has experimented with making their own ship(s) take a look at this and tell me if they see what isn't working? I tried swapping my stuff out for one of the race's files, but it isn't working. When I try to select a brand new character of that species it just hangs for a bit then dumps me back to the main menu with an error message about server connections (in single player?).

dropship.structure

I even tried just renaming the images to the standard shipship.png and dropshipblocks.png and using the standard .structure file and that didn't work.

Having two captain's chairs might be causing the problem. It's also possible that whatever you've got going on with the engine flames at the back is confusing it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Say I decide to build something impressive while on a multiplayer server. Is there any way for me to then transfer the planet/world file from that server and move it to my own single player universe?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Anyone who's in Sector X, post your tech chest locations on the spreadsheet, I'm sick of sticking to double jump when cool things like bubble and gravity neutralizer allegedly exist!

This but also for chests with weapons.
I had the "bad" luck of finding a legendary rarity T10 assault rifle that in practice is almost useless because it has spreading bullets.
Edit: and two rocket launchers that consume more energy that I can actually have with aegisalt armor.

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 17, 2013

Keyga
Apr 12, 2006

Making you feel guilty for all the salted snails, one lick at a time.
Is bonesmith armor bugged when you make it? I've made it twice and it does not show up in my inventory.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
How would I go about modding the new game start items that appear in the shiplocker? I want to test out an armor mod but don't want to grind getting durasteel bars and thousands of pixels just to mess around with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Keyga posted:

Is bonesmith armor bugged when you make it? I've made it twice and it does not show up in my inventory.
It requires silver armor to make, so if you hadn't said "twice" I'd have assumed it was auto-equipped because you took off your silver armor to make it. :confused:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Esroc posted:

How would I go about modding the new game start items that appear in the shiplocker? I want to test out an armor mod but don't want to grind getting durasteel bars and thousands of pixels just to mess around with it.

Why not just make the recipe cost like 1 wood or 1 pixel before you actually choose the balanced ingredients?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Why not just make the recipe cost like 1 wood or 1 pixel before you actually choose the balanced ingredients?

It's not my mod, it's the Artorias Gear from the Nexus. I just want to play around with it. Could I just edit the mod itself to change the ingredients?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Esroc posted:

It's not my mod, it's the Artorias Gear from the Nexus. I just want to play around with it. Could I just edit the mod itself to change the ingredients?

Yeah. Just edit the .recipe file. That or if you want to edit the quest, go to assets/quests/tutorial/[yourrace]tutoral.questtemplate file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MShadowy posted:

I was about to run a checklist on it, but you mentioned server issues and having dealt with that myself already I'm pretty sure that means the problem is that you don't have a teleporter pad to spawn in on. Since it doesn't know how to add your character to the world without a teleporter it tells you that the server timed out, because that is totally helpful when you're trying to play single player.

But I have a teleporter. Its that purple block in the area sunk into the floor.

Cephalocidal posted:

Having two captain's chairs might be causing the problem. It's also possible that whatever you've got going on with the engine flames at the back is confusing it.

Tried getting rid of the second one. Still just hangs. :sigh: As for the engines I was just emulating what the standard ships do.

[edit] Ok maybe it was the engines? It sort of works now, but only the teleporter and captain's chair are showing up. Still, progress.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 17, 2013

• Locked thread