Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Hylotl are weird. I made one a patch or two ago to check out their examine dialogue, and when I examined a diodia I found it said something like "ah, diodia, one of the few edible vegetables! :smug:"

I thought they were vegetarians? Wouldn't they eat a ton of veggies then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just because someone's a vegetarian doesnt mean they're going to chop down a tree and eat it.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But I have a teleporter. Its that purple block in the area sunk into the floor.

Maybe try removing the white blocks flanking it? I know from placing the engines that the game can be pretty particular about the pixels being used to represent an object. Alternatively, it may be due to the main thruster rhombus which has two lighter blue spots in it instead of one, which I don't think the game will recognize. But it would be weird if that caused it to hang like you describe, since at least when I screwed up the engines it just failed to load the objects, but still loaded0

Well, my level of skill with this isn't exactly terribly good regardless, so I'm just speculating now I'm afraid.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But I have a teleporter. Its that purple block in the area sunk into the floor.

Tried getting rid of the second one. Still just hangs. :sigh: As for the engines I was just emulating what the standard ships do.

Standard ships only have a single pixel in the back block for the dual thrusters. 4x13 000ff with a single pixel of a7a7ff 5 from the bottom in column 4 for humans, for instance. The shapes can be different provided they're as specified in the structure file, but the colors are always the same for the stock files. Yours is 4x12, and you've got two pixels that aren't blue - both of which are ae8951.

Edit: Remove the thruster bit entirely and see if it loads. Also be sure to test it with a new character, once a personal ship file (even a broken one) gets created for a character changes to the base files won't matter.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Butterfly Boost is such a good tech it's insane. Need to get behind a charging enemy? Butterfly Boost. Worried you might take fall damage? Butterfly Boost. Need to reach that ledge way up there? Butterfly boost. Just want to get around faster in general? Butterfly Boost.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

Butterfly Boost is such a good tech it's insane.

You can use it to have badass air battles with the local winged fauna, dodging air barbs or air vomit like it's some sort of crazy martial arts movie.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cephalocidal posted:

Standard ships only have a single pixel in the back block for the dual thrusters. 4x13 000ff with a single pixel of a7a7ff 5 from the bottom in column 4 for humans, for instance. The shapes can be different provided they're as specified in the structure file, but the colors are always the same for the stock files. Yours is 4x12, and you've got two pixels that aren't blue - both of which are ae8951.

Edit: Remove the thruster bit entirely and see if it loads. Also be sure to test it with a new character, once a personal ship file (even a broken one) gets created for a character changes to the base files won't matter.

Yeah, it looks like it was the engines. I've got it to work now. Though the tech station, fuel bin, and ship's locker aren't showing up, nor are the lights. Oddly, what I thought were invisible lights for illuminating the exterior of the ship are visible, but they're not the standard indoor lights.

I even copy pasted the pixels from the default shipblocks just to make sure I was setting the RGBA values correctly. The background pieces show up, but no tech station or locker.

[edit] Ok, experimentation shows that the white pixels (aka "nothing") is blocking the multi-block sized objects from spawning. Progress!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 17, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

packetmantis posted:

Hylotl are weird. I made one a patch or two ago to check out their examine dialogue, and when I examined a diodia I found it said something like "ah, diodia, one of the few edible vegetables! :smug:"

I thought they were vegetarians? Wouldn't they eat a ton of veggies then?

I think they mostly eat florans.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Tulip posted:

That'd be a great twist.

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Are the grenade and rocket launchers only found in chests? I've yet to see one being sold on an airship.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Nyyen posted:

Hearing there were some sad children trapped in a prison in Sector X, Burt the Fairy God-bot went to see if he could raise their spirits.

Unfortunately they didn't seem to appreciate his accordion solos...

...so he had to administer some spankings.
I love this game

Thanks, you owe me a new cup of coffee you glorious you!

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

The Mimic posted:

You can use it to have badass air battles with the local winged fauna, dodging air barbs or air vomit like it's some sort of crazy martial arts movie.

I just figured out that you can boost up/down/diagonally as well as side to side. You never even have to touch the ground wearing Impervium armor if you're careful about energy consumption.

Finally hit top-tier again starting over after the wipe, this time with an Avian. Guess I might try my hand at ship modding or something now until the next big content update comes around.

Think I might try making a new ship shape or something. Fully customizable isn't bad, but I actually kind of like having to get creative with the restraints that smaller designs force you to use.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I feel like an idiot asking about this. I was trying to make baby's first beamaxe mod in the mods folder instead of editing the actual asset file to make it into something along the lines of the Diamond pickaxe. blockradius 3, firetime 0.5 (I'm only guessing that's close to Diamond pick as I haven't got this to work), still have the commas after the numbers.

Game just hangs at the loading message after the logo when I try to play, no error messages or anything.

/mods/dbeam with dbeam.modinfo and the edited copy of the beamaxe.beamaxe file inside. the .modinfo is this
code:
{
  "name" : "dbeam",
  "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" :[ ]
}
What moronic thing have I done to gently caress this up, being completely ignorant of coding and modding that I am. Would I just be better served editing the actual beamaxe asset file? I wanted to avoid that sort of thing so I wouldn't have to go back and fix it later when I'm back in the mood for legit play, but it looks like editing two numbers might be for the best by comparison.

Also, keep at it you wonderful people making all these awesome things who actually know what the gently caress you are doing.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Have the developers mentioned whether ship expansion will be added in a future update? The early screenshots had multi-deck ships, and I'd love to have more space to build things.

On a similar note, does anyone know if they will introduce containers with more storage? My ship is jam-packed with storage lockers at this point. It looks like some people have managed to clone the 64-slot ship locker- how do you go about doing that?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Easy Rider posted:

Have the developers mentioned whether ship expansion will be added in a future update? The early screenshots had multi-deck ships, and I'd love to have more space to build things.

On a similar note, does anyone know if they will introduce containers with more storage? My ship is jam-packed with storage lockers at this point. It looks like some people have managed to clone the 64-slot ship locker- how do you go about doing that?

It's one of the planned features for the Nebulous Future.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section Z posted:

What moronic thing have I done to gently caress this up, being completely ignorant of coding and modding that I am. Would I just be better served editing the actual beamaxe asset file? I wanted to avoid that sort of thing so I wouldn't have to go back and fix it later when I'm back in the mood for legit play, but it looks like editing two numbers might be for the best by comparison.

Also, keep at it you wonderful people making all these awesome things who actually know what the gently caress you are doing.

You're only editing the one file if I'm assuming correctly, so there's not much room for error. A few things to make sure of:

1. Make sure your file structure mimics the game's, and that your mod's main folder IS the /assets/ folder in this case. (putting it all inside a /assets/ folder was a mistake I made, personally)

2. Make sure your mod is only one folder deep before the modinfo file. (IE, located in Starbound/mods/dbeam/)

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else, sorry!

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Anyone who's in Sector X, post your tech chest locations on the spreadsheet, I'm sick of sticking to double jump when cool things like bubble and gravity neutralizer allegedly exist!

You want Targeted Blink Tech.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

You're only editing the one file if I'm assuming correctly, so there's not much room for error. A few things to make sure of:

1. Make sure your file structure mimics the game's, and that your mod's main folder IS the /assets/ folder in this case. (putting it all inside a /assets/ folder was a mistake I made, personally)

2. Make sure your mod is only one folder deep before the modinfo file. (IE, located in Starbound/mods/dbeam/)

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else, sorry!

Ah, The entire current contents of my Mods folder (the one the update put in all by itself) is just that Dbeam folder, with those two files inside. The .modinfo, and an edited beamaxe.beamaxe file. Well, that and that mods_go_here file that came with the mods folder.

Since they were going on about how much easier they just made modding I thought that meant not having to screw with entire assets folders. That it would use /Mods folder versions over existing originals.

I got your step 2 done as suggested. Step 1 I'm a bit more hazy on. Does this mean I simply have to make the path line "path" : " \assets\items\tools", (I checked the official forums, lots of people asking how to properly use the path thing and nobody giving a straight answer). Or does or it mean that yes, I still have to edit the original beamaxe.beamaxe file in the assets folder? Or do I make otherwise empty\assets\items\tools folders inside the dbeam folder to put the edited beamaxe file?

Sorry in advance if I'm missing something normally obvious.

EDIT: basically, I want to keep trying if all I gotta do involves stuff inside the mods folder, but I'm gonna say gently caress it and move on if I have to screw with the actual game files to make sure I don't break anything.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 17, 2013

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

It's one of the planned features for the Nebulous Future.

Not too nebulous! One dev tweeted that they were working on it at that moment a couple of days ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section Z posted:

Ah, The entire current contents of my Mods folder (the one the update put in all by itself) is just that Dbeam folder, with those two files inside. The .modinfo, and an edited beamaxe.beamaxe file. Well, that and that mods_go_here file that came with the mods folder.

Since they were going on about how much easier they just made modding I thought that meant not having to screw with entire assets folders. That it would use /Mods folder versions over existing originals.

I got your step 2 done as suggested. Step 1 I'm a bit more hazy on. Does this mean I simply have to make the path line "path" : " \assets\items\tools", (I checked the official forums, lots of people asking how to properly use the path thing and nobody giving a straight answer). Or does or it mean that yes, I still have to edit the original beamaxe.beamaxe file in the assets folder? Or do I make otherwise empty\assets\items\tools folders inside the dbeam folder to put the edited beamaxe file?

Sorry in advance if I'm missing something normally obvious.

EDIT: basically, I want to keep trying if all I gotta do involves stuff inside the mods folder, but I'm gonna say gently caress it and move on if I have to screw with the actual game files to make sure I don't break anything.

No, no, I mean in your actual mod folder structure. Here, I'll give you an example from my Dead Space mod:

Here is the folder structure of my mod. It is located in /Starbound/mods/Cjacobs_DS_RIGs/. The "Cjacobs_DS_RIGs" folder counts as the assets folder in this case, and thus everything inside would be as it is found inside the game's assets folder.

The suits themselves are all human armors, so in the mod's folder, they are all located in /items/armors/human/ as they would be in the normal game, for example. You don't need to change anything in your .modinfo file, just leave the 'path' as '.' or whatever it normally is.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 17, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

code:
{
  "name" : "dbeam",
  "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" :[ ]
}
FYI you don't actually need the dependencies field if you don't have any dependencies. The version tag isn't required either if you don't want/need it (what it actually does is restrict the mod to only run if your game is that specific version).

AHungryRobot posted:

Butterfly Boost is such a good tech it's insane. Need to get behind a charging enemy? Butterfly Boost. Worried you might take fall damage? Butterfly Boost. Need to reach that ledge way up there? Butterfly boost. Just want to get around faster in general? Butterfly Boost.
It also looks :krad: as hell. The best tech.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Verranicus posted:

Say I decide to build something impressive while on a multiplayer server. Is there any way for me to then transfer the planet/world file from that server and move it to my own single player universe?

Get the server's host to send you the planet file in their /universe directory, I think.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The mistake wasn't that you had an assets directory, but you pointed the mod's path to the wrong location. A "path" value of "./assets" (or just "assets" might work) would have made your mod work without moving any files.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've actually managed to go all the way to space using the Butterfly Boost and carefully nursing it with taps, stopping once in a while to basically hover and regain energy.

Mostly got my ship's interior figured out. Now if only I could figure out how to make some platforms a default part of the ship I could move on to finishing the exterior and the cockpit.

[edit] Also starting to feel a bit bad about spamming up the thread with this stuff. Maybe we should make a mod thread?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 17, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

FYI you don't actually need the dependencies field if you don't have any dependencies. The version tag isn't required either if you don't want/need it (what it actually does is restrict the mod to only run if your game is that specific version).

Whenever I tried to flat out removing the dependencies line, I must be doing something wrong because it just spits out error messages at me along the lines of "You are missing "" at 5.1", then "you are missing : at 6.1" if I follow up on the first error, then "gently caress you unspecified error" if I follow up on the second. So I left it like I listed because at least then, I reach the main menu.

CJacobs posted:

No, no, I mean in your actual mod folder structure. Here, I'll give you an example from my Dead Space mod:

Here is the folder structure of my mod. It is located in /Starbound/mods/Cjacobs_DS_RIGs/. The "Cjacobs_DS_RIGs" folder counts as the assets folder in this case, and thus everything inside would be as it is found inside the game's assets folder.

The suits themselves are all human armors, so in the mod's folder, they are all located in /items/armors/human/ as they would be in the normal game, for example. You don't need to change anything in your .modinfo file, just leave the 'path' as '.' or whatever it normally is.

Ah, so I have to clone the file structure with otherwise empty folders. That's not so bad. It goes mods/dbeam/items/tools now, with the edited beamaxe.beamaxe, and the two gravgun images in that tools folder. Now the game starts and I have a sped up Manipulator (0.05 fire speed isn't QUITE diamond pick speed, I'll tweak it a bit more.) Thanks for helping my dumb rear end, since a quick glance at the official mods forum doesn't seem to have much in the way of actual beginners instructions in the sense of "Folders go like this", jumping straight to the file editing stuff.

0.03 firespeed seems to be juuuust right for diamond pickaxe strength. Well, so far as I can tell testing the time on cobblestones.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 17, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DelphiAegis posted:

He was declared a god because he was Iron Man, basically, then decreed that those who didn't worship him totally would be clipped at birth so as to never even have the possibility to experience flight.
But how can they clip your wings for not worshiping him if it's done at birth? How do you ask a newborn who he or she worships? :psyduck:
The lore in this game is surprisingly involving. It's a welcome change from Terraria's "okay here you go".

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Vib Rib posted:

But how can they clip your wings for not worshiping him if it's done at birth? How do you ask a newborn who he or she worships? :psyduck:
The lore in this game is surprisingly involving. It's a welcome change from Terraria's "okay here you go".

Haven't you seen the respawn animation? You go from infant to fully grown in 5 seconds :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gibbed posted:

The mistake wasn't that you had an assets directory, but you pointed the mod's path to the wrong location. A "path" value of "./assets" (or just "assets" might work) would have made your mod work without moving any files.

Now it is I who feels like an idiot. Thanks Gibbed, I had no idea what the path value was actually supposed to be for. :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Section Z posted:

Whenever I tried to flat out removing the dependencies line, I must be doing something wrong because it just spits out error messages at me along the lines of "You are missing "" at 5.1", then "you are missing : at 6.1" if I follow up on the first error, then "gently caress you unspecified error" if I follow up on the second. So I left it like I listed because at least then, I reach the main menu.
Well I know for a fact the dependencies field isn't required because I have mods where I didn't put that in and it worked. I'm wrong about the version field not being needed though; I thought my game was running without it but I just tried to launch and it told me my mod was for version "" and then refused to launch so I guess I edited out the line at some point but didn't test? I didn't touch the file until now so I guess I did it last night before going to bed and forgot to test and thus confusing the poo poo out of me. :saddowns:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Each to their own I guess.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Enjoy fighting these things!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

Enjoy fighting these things!
Oh cool, it's Robo Bot's long lost twin brother, Robo Bot.

And yeah, that's just a perfect result of attack types and body parts. The blood puke has always been on birds so far though (every bird has been a projectile bird).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Holy poo poo losing codex entries without explanation is the worst thing. I guess going to/from Multiplayer wipes your codex at least partially. I don't even remember which books I'd already found so I can't just cheat them back in, either.
I hadn't even read them yet. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glowy helmets are a go. The Carver ones glow red to correspond with their visor color! (I have since adjusted it to be a MITE bit dimmer but not enough to hinder the effect)

The next step is to make the helmets actually project a bit of light forward, flashlight-style. Then we will have achieved max Dead Space ambiance!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Holy poo poo losing codex entries without explanation is the worst thing. I guess going to/from Multiplayer wipes your codex at least partially. I don't even remember which books I'd already found so I can't just cheat them back in, either.

On that note, I wish it'd stop listing all the books I find as NEW even after I've read them. Scrolling through and trying to find the latest book I find is a pain in the arse.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure Avian religion states that nobody is able to worship Kluex totally. So they just clip everyone's wings. Except maybe the priesthood who are corrupt bastards closer to Kluex.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh is it erasing them entirely? I just assumed it was like the starmap upgrades and tied to the server.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Insert name here posted:

Oh is it erasing them entirely? I just assumed it was like the starmap upgrades and tied to the server.
No, I read a bunch of books in singleplayer, then went to a multiplayer server for a bit, and found my codex was mostly empty. Went back to singleplayer and it was still empty. So just joining and leaving was enough, it seems. It's weird that some books remained (like the excerpts from a Mechanic or whatever) while others (The Kluex Decision) were removed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Welp, making the helmet item project light flashlight-style is going to take some effort. As far as I can tell, the flashlights and few other items that project a beam of light outward use their own method of defining them by-item instead of with a StatusEffect file. I still know little about modding but I assume that means I'm gonna have to make my own status effect to apply to the helmets... how hard could it be? :v:

edit: Oh. That hard.

Well I think the directional flashlight visor MIGHT be optional to the process then. :suicide:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tulip posted:

And knowing Hylotl, it's not because they need to, but just because other vegetables are for commoners. Brings a whole know twist to the term "body sushi"! (please, internet, no fanart :gonk:)

At first I was thinking they needed to make Hylotl more likable, but this makes me think that doing the reverse would also work. Just keep pushing on the "these guys are absolute assholes" until they're awful, decadent villains, and I feel like that loops around and makes them fun to play again.

• Locked thread