Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Hylotl are weird. I made one a patch or two ago to check out their examine dialogue, and when I examined a diodia I found it said something like "ah, diodia, one of the few edible vegetables! :smug:"

I thought they were vegetarians? Wouldn't they eat a ton of veggies then?

This isn't true. I was playing a hylotl and walking through an avian village and one of the dialogues from an avian was "oh, you eat meat too? drat it, trolling failed" or something very close to it.

So they're definitely not just vegetarian, or at the very least your player character isn't (obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Once you reach Impervium tier is there anything else left to do or is it base building time?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pwnstar posted:

Once you reach Impervium tier is there anything else left to do or is it base building time?

Approximately zero of the tier 5+ content is implemented, so yeah just explore & build.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Clocks posted:

This isn't true. I was playing a hylotl and walking through an avian village and one of the dialogues from an avian was "oh, you eat meat too? drat it, trolling failed" or something very close to it.

So they're definitely not just vegetarian, or at the very least your player character isn't (obviously).

You know how to cook meat at the start, so I assume "Eating Flesh like an Animal or Barbarian" is an early lesson in missionary survival class.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Devour or Fire posted:

You know how to cook meat at the start, so I assume "Eating Flesh like an Animal or Barbarian" is an early lesson in missionary survival class.

Well the quest dialogue after says "If you're a vegetarian, throw it out!".

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Nyyen posted:

Hearing there were some sad children trapped in a prison in Sector X, Burt the Fairy God-bot went to see if he could raise their spirits.

Unfortunately they didn't seem to appreciate his accordion solos...

...so he had to administer some spankings.

I love this game

This is why I love Starbound.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So in you guys' opinion, what would be a reasonable set of materials to make bombs? I was thinking of making another mod that adds a recipe for bombs to the crafting table (or maybe the anvil?) once you acquire a bomb for the first time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Kyrosiris posted:

So in you guys' opinion, what would be a reasonable set of materials to make bombs? I was thinking of making another mod that adds a recipe for bombs to the crafting table (or maybe the anvil?) once you acquire a bomb for the first time.
Hmmm. Since there's nothing like saltpetre in the game, maybe tar, sand and some kind of metal (probably iron) for the casing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

If you're up for it, it wouldn't be too hard to add a Nitre (saltpeter) item into the game. You could just do a palette swap of a stalagtite/crystal kind of item. I mean you could add it as an ore but I have a feeling adding a new ore and futzing with the distribution would be a bitch.

Then mix that with charcoal and, let's say, iron for the case? You could also require some fiber for the fuse but that feels too complicated for a Starbound recipe.

edit: actually if you don't do this I think I will because there's all kinds of cool stuff you can make with nitre, like aqua fortis :D

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 17, 2013

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That's a better idea.

What was I thinking with sand?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Ugh. I just cannot find any more Cerulium. I think I've tried every threat level planet and I either have tons of Aegis or tons of Ruby. Where does one get the blues? I need like 32 more bars and I never need it again :(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's a better idea.

What was I thinking with sand?

Glass bombs. It shoots out particles that when they land create glass blocks. So you know, throw a whole bunch at a mob and in-case them in glass.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

glug posted:

Ugh. I just cannot find any more Cerulium. I think I've tried every threat level planet and I either have tons of Aegis or tons of Ruby. Where does one get the blues? I need like 32 more bars and I never need it again :(

Cerulium shows up on TL 7-8 planets. Any higher or lower in Sector X and you get either Aegisalt or Rubium.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

So I just did what you said and all I get is a lovely json error message that tells you basically nothing.

So basically this feature just doesn't work if you have anything that modifies base game files.

I checked out your .modinfos Anime Schoolgirl and you forgot to add the "path" : ".", entry, if you lack this it just crashes.

Though, even with correct modinfos the game still just sits on the loading screen forever with your mods if you use the mod folder, but at least it doesn't spit out a useless error message.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Still can't get the Steam overlay working. Frustrating.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Seeing all you goons hard at work with mods makes me hope for a XCOM style weapons researching / manufacturing thing. Gathering GUNBITS from fallen humanoids, researching for schematics and building prototypes at special tables. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 17, 2013

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Shadowmorn posted:

Seeing all you goons hard at work with mods makes me hope for a XCOM style weapons researching / manufacturing thing. Gathering GUNBITS from fallen humanoids, researching for schematics and building prototypes at special tables. :allears:

there will be a mod for that

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

XboxPants posted:

If you're up for it, it wouldn't be too hard to add a Nitre (saltpeter) item into the game. You could just do a palette swap of a stalagtite/crystal kind of item. I mean you could add it as an ore but I have a feeling adding a new ore and futzing with the distribution would be a bitch.

Then mix that with charcoal and, let's say, iron for the case? You could also require some fiber for the fuse but that feels too complicated for a Starbound recipe.

edit: actually if you don't do this I think I will because there's all kinds of cool stuff you can make with nitre, like aqua fortis :D

I was thinking something like breaking down X amount of cobblestone (on the assumption that there's trace amounts, etc.) into one measure of nitre? Adding a whole new naturally spawning block item sounds like a bitch and a half.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Shadowmorn posted:

Seeing all you goons hard at work with mods makes me hope for a XCOM style weapons researching / manufacturing thing.

Oh god someone please make some oldschool Xcom armors :aaa:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Pink dino-bears. :black101:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I was thinking something like breaking down X amount of cobblestone (on the assumption that there's trace amounts, etc.) into one measure of nitre? Adding a whole new naturally spawning block item sounds like a bitch and a half.

Ah, that's a great idea, although I think sandstone would work better than cobblestone in terms of realism (please correct me, geonerds).

In fact, if there was a new crafting table/tool for "rare element extraction", that could be awesome because it'd give you a use for your stacks of thousands of random materials. All the different functionally identical blocks could give you different weird poo poo to craft with.

burgergod
Dec 17, 2013

glug posted:

Make sure there's no aegisalt on that planet. Just walk the surface of the planet if you don't find any cerulium on the surface you wont find any underground.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Attention Horse posted:

I don't know poo poo about the armor but I was poking around at adding the laser rifle/pistol last night.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

All I want "armor"wise is humanity's greatest contribution to intergalactic fashion:

I mean, how can my human tour the stars if he isn't dressed appropriately? :haw:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Attention Horse posted:

Flattop hair is a necessity in any case.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fintilgin posted:

Flattop hair is a necessity in any case.

I think humans already have this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Glowy helmets are a go. The Carver ones glow red to correspond with their visor color! (I have since adjusted it to be a MITE bit dimmer but not enough to hinder the effect)

The next step is to make the helmets actually project a bit of light forward, flashlight-style. Then we will have achieved max Dead Space ambiance!

I really want a Dead Space themed planet mod now, complete with necromorphs.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I really want a Dead Space themed planet mod now, complete with necromorphs.

And the ability to grunt loudly and stomp on things! :black101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-starbound/

Spaceship combat would be frigging boss. It'd be like FTL on steroids, really hope they can put that in. I also like the additions to town building (and environmental hazards) because a challenge and reward for building up a base would add a lot to the game for me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Ah, that's a great idea, although I think sandstone would work better than cobblestone in terms of realism (please correct me, geonerds).

In fact, if there was a new crafting table/tool for "rare element extraction", that could be awesome because it'd give you a use for your stacks of thousands of random materials. All the different functionally identical blocks could give you different weird poo poo to craft with.

Yeah, something like an extraction station where you can shove in piles of dirt, sand, fine sand, sandstone, cobblestone, etc. and get useful byproducts would be pretty radical. I'm just not certain what you'd tie to each bulk material, and if you want to make it scale with tech levels, etc.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So something like the Extractinator from Terraria. You put Silt and Slush blocks in and it spat out money and ores.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

So something like the Extractinator from Terraria. You put Silt and Slush blocks in and it spat out money and ores.

Exactly, but I don't know if Starbound has the hooks for the "random output" part of the Extractionator.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Exactly, but I don't know if Starbound has the hooks for the "random output" part of the Extractionator.

Sure it does, just create another loot table, and have the act of using an ore on that object pull from that table. Though I'm not sure how you would tell Starbound to "use" ore on a specific item....

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Something like that already exists as part of this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ts-technologies.5/

It has a set of items that allow you to crush dirt/stone/sand etc into minerals, then press the minerals into ingots of your choice.

edit: A vanilla way of doing something like this would be ideal

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 17, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

Sure it does, just create another loot table, and have the act of using an ore on that object pull from that table. Though I'm not sure how you would tell Starbound to "use" ore on a specific item....

Hrm, treasure tables might be the ticket, since there's the recipe of the basic shield that seems like it produces non-static results:

code:
{
  "input" : [
    { "item" : "ironbar", "count" : 10 },
    { "item" : "darkwoodmaterial", "count" : 10 },
    { "item" : "money", "count" : 20 }
  ],
  "output" : { "item" : "generatedshield", "count" : 1, "data" : { "definition" : "startershield", "level" : 1 } },
  "groups" : [ "anvil", "armor", "all" ]
}

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Random outputs would be cool, but if you just want to make something simple for now you could just require 10 or 20 sandstone blocks per nitre ore, or whatever. That's kinda what I was thinking.

Right now I'm thinking that I'd like to make nitre (or whatever) objects that you can direclty mine, but spawn rarely, and once you find a piece of nitre then it'll give you a blueprint to extract it from stone. Either that, or if you feed a piece of nitre into the Extractor it'll "learn" that material (sorta like the 3D printer), and then you can extract that material from stone - but I've got no idea how feasible that method would be.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 17, 2013

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DelphiAegis posted:

Make it a cooking/Smelting type interface. Input junk. Output random ore or whatever.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Make it a cooking/Smelting type interface. Input junk. Output random ore or whatever.

Since it outputs it to a slot, you'd have to sit there, take whatever it is out of the slot and hit refine again, for every item amount you wish to input.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

Since it outputs it to a slot, you'd have to sit there, take whatever it is out of the slot and hit refine again, for every item amount you wish to input.

Only if it's random. If each kind of block refines to a specific material it'd work fine.

drat, we need pipes-->chest mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Random outputs would be cool, but if you just want to make something simple for now you could just require 10 or 20 sandstone blocks per nitre ore, or whatever. That's kinda what I was thinking.

Oh yeah, for the baseline "stone to nitre" thing, that would be static. I was thinking more for "crush pointless poo poo like fine sand into useful things" angle.

• Locked thread