Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How am I supposes to get high ticket rewards? In the new tourney I keep getting near 800 -850 and number 1, then lose at least 100 to 150 points. Is there some kind of bracket trick to not become worth 30 points to everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One weird trick Ragnarok doesnt want you to know: Keep yourself in striking distance of the top, then rush hard at it in the last 20 minutes with all your boosts and heals.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

One weird trick Ragnarok doesnt want you to know: Keep yourself in striking distance of the top, then rush hard at it in the last 20 minutes with all your boosts and heals.

That's what I normally do, but I want those spiderman covers!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh you mean the progression rewards! Yeah there's no real trick to those, just grinding as long as you can. Healing characters help, regenerating characters help, just go as long as you can until you're out, then repeat when all your heal tokens are back. It takes awhile too because you cant make progress without people similarly ranked as you, and the front of the wave doesnt move very fast. Most 2 day events you'd be very very lucky to make 1100, 1200 prizes. 1000 is doable, but higher than that is a struggle.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So should I sell my two star guys and only level up the three stars or better?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

beergod posted:

NO. This is a terrible idea. You need to find the covers first, and there's no guarantee what you'll get, so it will take loving forever.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

beergod posted:

This is the worst idea ever unless you're dumping hundreds of dollars into this game.

3 stars are a luxury character. They're nice, but they tend to be weirdly specific. The 2 OP ones, Ragnarok and Spidey, do not a team make. Ragnarok is amazing for churning greens, but I find almost every other green power is a better use of the AP. Spidey can stunlock and heal and reduce damage taken, but he's not going to kill anyone by himself. At least not quickly. They're also annoyingly rare to find the right combination of powers most of the time.

Most of the 2 stars are your bread and butter. They are simple and effective. Also you'll get them to 85 far before you get a full team of 3 stars powered up, nevermind leveled.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Oh, so that's what you meant. So after using this advice I'm in 2nd place in my pvp bracket with a scrubbo 2/2/3 L37 Thor Now, 5/5/3 L23 mStorm, 5/5 L21 Black Widow Modern team.

Though I'm at a measly 552 points so maybe I'll be able to hit 800 if the rest of these clowns pick up the pace?

It's also for use to steamroll the last twenty minutes of a tournament. Having 1500 ISO for boosts helps out a lot during those last twenty.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Relentless posted:

Ragnarok is amazing for churning greens, but I find almost every other green power is a better use of the AP.
gently caress, look at the thread favorite characters. Thor damages the whole enemy team pretty severely, and Wolverine's green loving tears up the team it's so good. Cstorm has a board churning, AP earning, damaging attack, grey widow can target a whole board section to destroy... Ragnarok is only a good green choice if you have no other green abilities.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Whalley posted:

gently caress, look at the thread favorite characters. Thor damages the whole enemy team pretty severely, and Wolverine's green loving tears up the team it's so good. Cstorm has a board churning, AP earning, damaging attack, grey widow can target a whole board section to destroy... Ragnarok is only a good green choice if you have no other green abilities.

Your other examples are fine, but the only thing Thor's green ability damages severely is his own reputation. Those 13-17 AP's would be much better used on Rag's ability to see if you can get a crit or maybe even a cascade.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

seravid posted:

Your other examples are fine, but the only thing Thor's green ability damages severely is his own reputation. Those 13-17 AP's would be much better used on Rag's ability to see if you can get a crit or maybe even a cascade.

Currently I run Daken Storm Thor and green tank with Daken and use storm's board clearing to build Thor into cascades of death.

Entire matches can end in a few turns. Get a purple board and its a nightmare.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, this team seems to be working out interestingly. Doom 89/Thor 85/BW 2* 40s. Thor and Doom deal out damage and tank, and since Doom outranks BWO in damage on the same colours, she stays safely behind the front lines to heal and steal. The only downside is that she's in competition for the blues, so either I go without healing, or Doom has to deal with less black tiles. Still, pretty good combination. Thor could be substituted for any other heavy hitter, though it should be a fast one. Doom will take awhile to collect enough AP to summon attack tiles.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

It seems like Hawkeye C. and Venom are getting a makeover

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1400

Both look much more balanced now. 18AP was excessive. And a one-star character being able to down the entire team did seem ridiculous so it makes sense they got rid of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dammit, why. I mean Hawkeye could have done with a buff, but getting 8 web tiles and the black tiles to devour is a pretty heroic feat.

And with the crit nerf, I dont think I'll be dragging Hawkeye Classic out of storage either.

Also finally checked out the stats spreadsheet for the standard and heroic draws:
code:
Standard:
Total opened covers	2266	
Chance of 1*	1860	82.08%
Chance of 2*	340	15.00%
Chance of 3*	66	2.91%
Chance of 4*	0	0.00%

Heroic:
Total opened covers	174
Chance of 2*	134	77.01%
Chance of 3*	33	18.97%
Chance of 4*	7	4.02%

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 17, 2013

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If you want those progression rewards, just push super hard, super fast until you get them. Then ignore the game until the last two hours or so. Your points will have been tanked from being so high, and a juicy target, and with any luck, your counterattacks will be worth a ton because you didn't play for a while.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I find the progression rewards much easier to get if you happen to be in a timezone when everyone else in the world has a work/sleep/school schedule. I live in Taiwan and I swear from the hours of 5-9pm I'm basically ignored. But if I try to grind progression rewards at any other time it becomes incredibly hard because I get crabbed by people seeking to protect their INTERNET HONOUR.

Also for that heroic chance of 2* I'd love to know the odds of getting Bag-Man :v:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Happy Bear Suit posted:

It seems like Hawkeye C. and Venom are getting a makeover

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1400

Both look much more balanced now. 18AP was excessive. And a one-star character being able to down the entire team did seem ridiculous so it makes sense they got rid of that.

Yes! Hawkeye, you still have poo poo health, but now I can sub you in for easy crits!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Relentless posted:

This is the worst idea ever unless you're dumping hundreds of dollars into this game.

3 stars are a luxury character. They're nice, but they tend to be weirdly specific. The 2 OP ones, Ragnarok and Spidey, do not a team make. Ragnarok is amazing for churning greens, but I find almost every other green power is a better use of the AP. Spidey can stunlock and heal and reduce damage taken, but he's not going to kill anyone by himself. At least not quickly. They're also annoyingly rare to find the right combination of powers most of the time.

Most of the 2 stars are your bread and butter. They are simple and effective. Also you'll get them to 85 far before you get a full team of 3 stars powered up, nevermind leveled.

Just to expound on this a little- yes, 2-stars are your main go-to characters, but early game, you really want to level up your Iron Man. I have 2- and 3-star dudes in their 50's and I STILL use Model 35 Iron Man every once in a while when someone is injured. Also, there are 1-star only tournaments every now and again, plus some "Evil" or "Dark Avenger" tourneys and you'll wish you had the 1-stars laying around if you get rid of them now.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, Wolverine is a murder machine. I kind of scoffed at the listed damage on his green ability until I actually read how cheap it was and saw it in action. Holy poo poo. I don't have him fully charged up- I think he's 4-1-4 right now. Need to find some more Red covers. What should I go for on him if I want to make him a default character?

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 17, 2013

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

New Leaf posted:

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, Wolverine is a murder machine. I kind of scoffed at the listed damage on his green ability until I actually read how cheap it was and saw it in action. Holy poo poo. I don't have him fully charged up- I think he's 4-1-4 right now. Need to find some more Red covers. What should I go for on him if I want to make him a default character?

5-3-5 seems to be the most popular option. I ended up 5-5-3 because I used the red covers before I knew what I was doing, but I hardly ever use the red nuke unless Thor's dead, whereas guaranteeing regen every turn would be more useful. Still, it's a minor difference.

Green cover number 5 is amazing. You're able to Feral Claws every time you make a match, and to use it up to twice at the start of the game with full boosts. At max level the strike tiles add 89 damage each, and you can start with four of them (plus FC boosts the damage of the next FC).

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Black Widow classic is amazing. I only have her at 3-1-2, but thanks to her, storm, and a level 50 iron man, I just fought from position #last to #1 in the no holds barred tournament, up to the 900 point reward, without needing to use a single medpack. Then I lost 120 points and decided it was time to take a break for a while.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Kravdraa posted:

5-3-5 seems to be the most popular option. I ended up 5-5-3 because I used the red covers before I knew what I was doing, but I hardly ever use the red nuke unless Thor's dead, whereas guaranteeing regen every turn would be more useful. Still, it's a minor difference.

Green cover number 5 is amazing. You're able to Feral Claws every time you make a match, and to use it up to twice at the start of the game with full boosts. At max level the strike tiles add 89 damage each, and you can start with four of them (plus FC boosts the damage of the next FC).

Oh good, I'm already on the right track then. He's getting all my attention for the time being. Think he's in the 30's now.

I don't regret pumping up my Modern Hawkeye to the 40's now. He is actually part of my default party these days. He can do decent damage using some of the colors Thor and Wolverine don't utilize on a match, hit critical combo is good, and his abilities are solid provided you can protect them, plus his Avoid power ensures he won't be wiped out early.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Lightning rounds are up. That new 5000 HC pack is hilarious. Also people are playing the crap out of these rounds.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I don't know whether to go for Grey Suit or Black Widow Original. I already have Spidey, so it's not like I need another healer, but he's only level 30. I'm fine with any of rank 2-10 since I only need greens for Grey Widow, but it feels like Original is more rare.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I was in the top 50 with 2 minutes remaining

Just got my 500 ISO reward for being in the top 250 :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If you want those progression rewards, just push super hard, super fast until you get them. Then ignore the game until the last two hours or so. Your points will have been tanked from being so high, and a juicy target, and with any luck, your counterattacks will be worth a ton because you didn't play for a while.

I did this last night. Punched my way to 800 for the token and 2nd place, put up a less-strong team and woke up this morning in 30th at 550. Then in revenge fights I accidentally climbed too high to 8th. The problem with going for the 11-25 when in a generally slacker bracket (I think only one guy in the top 10 is using Rag and three using Spidey) is that you need to stop beating folks up. Also I should probably stop valuing the 11-25 bracket higher than the upper stuff or I'm going to keep winding up in slacker tiers.

It was decided that was a thing, right? Your performance in past matches decides placement in future ones?

E: also it turns out in a slacker bracket that if you show a 55 Thor, 55 Wolverine and 25 Black Widow Modern nobody wants to fight you. Who knew?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 17, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I did this last night. Punched my way to 800 for the token and 2nd place, put up a less-strong team and woke up this morning in 30th at 550. Then in revenge fights I accidentally climbed too high to 8th. The problem with going for the 11-25 when in a generally slacker bracket (I think only one guy in the top 10 is using Rag and three using Spidey) is that you need to stop beating folks up. Also I should probably stop valuing the 11-25 bracket higher than the upper stuff or I'm going to keep winding up in slacker tiers.

It was decided that was a thing, right? Your performance in past matches decides placement in future ones?

It only adjusts the matchmaking so you don't end up with the consistent Top 10 people, basically. So you'll see less Level 85 Thorms and Level 115 Spidernoks

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bruceski posted:

Absolutely. I started the Hood LR and wondered why I was getting plinked left and right, even while showing a 85-ish Ragnarok and a 101 Magneto. Then I remembered -- oh yeah, I jumped into the last one last week and got a Top 50.

So I tanked it, got top 100000, and in the next one I started with a pile of dummy accounts to fight and haven't been attacked once. (Too bad I only need Hood and Loki now.)

Now, if you get into one of these and you DO start kicking rear end, your opponents will upgrade steadily through the round. No HAIGUYZDOOM when you have 500 points.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I am at a point where I'm tanking every tournament just to hope to stop seeing 115 ragnarok and 100+ Spider-Mans every fights. Now I'm only seeing level 70 ragnarok and Spider-Mans every fight :v:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Oh man these lighting rounds are hilarious. So is the strategy to just treat this as end game fights and fight up the other tourneys instead?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

Oh man these lighting rounds are hilarious. So is the strategy to just treat this as end game fights and fight up the other tourneys instead?

Quite the opposite! You get a buttload of ISO and tokens if you fight far enough to 100 points, and you can do that by using boosts and your buffed hero against other teams. Basically, you can take in Modern Black Widow into any match, stun as often as you can, defeat enough teams (4 to 5) to get 100 points, and walk away with the ISO + ISO from winning matches + tokens. The lightning rounds are a great way to get stuff if you've completed most of the PVE chapters, but are at a wall. There's always people that can be destroyed just by abusing the boosted Villain.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

They used to be much more bearable but then they gave buffed character, buffed hp as well. Fighting multiple 10k+ hp character is really only for people who have ragnarok at 5 red covers.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I just learned not to gently caress with a team with 1 star Storm and Black Widow on the jungle level. I went straight for Doom and then Storm casts Mistress of the Elements, giving her enough AP to cast Thorned Rose, giving Widow enough blue to stun the team, giving Storm a turn to get more red and start the cycle over endlessly. I quit after the third team stun was cast.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Gallow posted:

I just learned not to gently caress with a team with 1 star Storm and Black Widow on the jungle level. I went straight for Doom and then Storm casts Mistress of the Elements, giving her enough AP to cast Thorned Rose, giving Widow enough blue to stun the team, giving Storm a turn to get more red and start the cycle over endlessly. I quit after the third team stun was cast.

This is a very important lesion to learn

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

That's why you always go for the stunners and board destroyers first. Doom needs a lot of AP to do his thing, you should have enough time to KO the other two guys before he's powered up.

That or play on the City map. 15,000hp Ragnarok eats a delicious hot dog, recovers 50hp!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

seravid posted:

That's why you always go for the stunners and board destroyers first. Doom needs a lot of AP to do his thing, you should have enough time to KO the other two guys before he's powered up.

That or play on the City map. 15,000hp Ragnarok eats a delicious hot dog, recovers 50hp!

Black Widows and Classic Storms die first, every time. Daken and Bullseye, too- just because I don't like getting those stupid loving messages that slow everything down every time I match a loving tile.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm not sure I have the strength of will to "try" at any more lighting roudns but I really need to finish out Magneto and Doom. Also I could use some green rags.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jibo posted:

I'm not sure I have the strength of will to "try" at any more lighting roudns but I really need to finish out Magneto and Doom. Also I could use some green rags.

Don't bother with winning them unless you have a leveled Rag. Just grab the low level stuff and keep going, the 60 day reward is a green Rag anyway. After that, just keep rolling your luck until you can either break in with a level 85 Thor and Modern Storm in the Jungle, or abuse a high leveled villain you have kicking around.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
Is there some way to choose which arena you fight in that I'm missing? I see that the area is shown when you see who your opponent is, but beyond skipping that player and moving on to the next one is there some way to influence what level you get?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Alright, went ahead and added my super fake account to the goon list, adding people now.

https://www.facebook.com/victis.arbiter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rinaldi posted:

Is there some way to choose which arena you fight in that I'm missing? I see that the area is shown when you see who your opponent is, but beyond skipping that player and moving on to the next one is there some way to influence what level you get?

Lower-left - Forest
Lower-right - City
Up - Lab