Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

ufarn posted:

I just hope they ease on the CGI and use some costuming for friggin' once. Directors have grown so lazy with supernatural movies.

Honestly, I'd be pretty disappointed if the dream world wasn't a pastiche of film making styles. Same with the other dimensions, realms, etc. Live action, CGI, animation in all it's forms, costuming, rotoscope, whatever. As long as it fits the mood or theme of the scene, and it's not on earth, use any and all techniques. That said, I don't know if an actor with only one previous directing job would have the chops for that kind of movie. Would prefer to see someone like Aronofsky tackle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Maybe they can use this as a launching point for the Justice League Dark univerhahahahahaha

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't want Goyer, I want a light-hearted Sandman!

Truth be told I would love either an Aranofski or a Tarsem Singh directed Sandman movie.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Singh would be great, because he wouldn't be required to write a script guaranteed to be an absolute mess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ufarn posted:

Singh would be great, because he wouldn't be required to write a script guaranteed to be an absolute mess.

Oh but what a beautiful mess it would be.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, Sandman was a work for hire series and lots of the characters were well established before the series. They have something of a gentleman's agreement with Gaiman on using the characters he created for it, but I don't think there's anything contractual.
Absolutely correct--DC can use any of the Sandman characters anytime they want, they own them all 100% Mwahahahaha.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
But they don't because unlike Alan Moore they have a chance in hell of getting to put Neil Gaiman's name on more books.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gaiman also writes screenplays, so he will likely be a co-writer as well.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There's a Twitter user named Roger Wardell who's been posting Marvel rumors on and off for a while. In the past couple weeks he's starting piling out loads of Avengers 2 rumors surround Ant-Man, The Mandarin and Ultron. Here they are spoilered, the whole thing is summarized at this site

http://theculturednerd.com/2013/12/avengers-age-of-ultron-will-be-filled-with-time-travel-an-ultron-army-and-the-mandarin/

Roger Wardell posted:

There was more to The Mandarin than meets the eye… A lot of deception…

Ultron has been around for a while as an AI but he will come out of nowhere and rule the world.

The Ant-Man film will be set in the past so the story would focus on Hank Pym and if JGL is cast he will portray Scott Lang.

Like Ben Kingsley, Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) will show up again in a future Marvel project.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going to be the biggest movie of Phase 2!

We we’re deceived by the story told in Iron Man 3. Stark was deceived as well, that’s why he told the story.

The Mandarin in the MCU is an elevated past physical being, as it sort of is a technodemon, a biological AI…

Extremis has more to it then just being like a super soldier serum. The technological part in Extremis is the brain..

The AI (Mandarin) controls the Extremis soldiers in order to try and mold one of them into the actual Mandarin…

While doing this the power of the AI (Mandarin) can become too much for some (Aldrich Killian)…

Killian’s superego really was starting to convince himself that he was the master of the mandarin persona…

While Trevor was embracing it and becoming it…

In the end The Mandarin will stay an AI, but Trevor’s mind and body will become the technodemon mandarin persona.

The one shot that Kingsley is referring to will reveal that the Mandarin is an AI.

It is also a GREAT possibility that Kingsley will show up in Captain America: The Winter Soldier…

Speaking of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it will be revealed there that AIM is secretly working under Hydra.

Although The Mandarin is an AI he cannot control Tech. This is where Ultron comes in…

The Mandarin uses Ultron to control the Tech that he needs. Some can almost say that Ultron will be The Mandarin’s JARVIS for now…

“You don’t need a Pym to create an Ultron.” See the play on words?

Pym creates the software (Ultron). Pym’s software gets sold to hydra, etc.

While Ultron evolves and learns to control time, he aligns himself with Mandarin, and once he gains free will, he’s timeless…

and then starts to travel through time.

The Mandarin will essentially take over the world with the help of Ultron who then over throws Mandarin and creates his age.

At some point Ultron gets the time gem and Avengers 2 is sort of like a big timeloop that would keep repeating.

We find out it’s Pym who breaks that timeloop in the Ant-Man movie.

Some parts of Ant-Man will take place DURING Age of Ultron.

Ultron uses Pym’s tech and traps Pym in a timeloop BEFORE he ever creates the Ultron software.

Ultron create’s a timeloop of him getting vibranium and Stark building him his body.

Since there is a timeloop of that, he has unlimited vibranium/bodies and uses those to take over the world.

As long as those timeloops remain, the world will be his, as he can keep experiencing it.

In Ant-Man, Yellow Jacket/Pym stops him. It’s different though. It’s not the original Pym.

Since he was trapped in a time loop. This Pym was rescued by The Collector.

Yellow Jacket doesn’t know who he is, or who ultron is, because this Pym never created him.

But he ends up finding out about Thanos, and what Ultron has done and eventually…

He is able to end the timeloops that was supplying Ultron the vibranium, thus giving our heroes in Avengers 2 a chance to defeat him.

It may appear that The Vision/Stark/Avengers stopped him, but it was really Pym who gave the opportunity.

The Ant-Man movie will tell Ultron’s origin and the villains will be Whirlwind and Equinox.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 18, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I dont know what to say. On paper that made my head explode. Good luck I guess.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Dacap posted:

There's a Twitter user named Roger Wardell who's been posting Marvel rumors on and off for a while. In the past couple weeks he's starting piling out loads of Avengers 2 rumors surround Ant-Man, The Mandarin and Ultron. Here they are spoilered, the whole thing is summarized at this site

http://theculturednerd.com/2013/12/avengers-age-of-ultron-will-be-filled-with-time-travel-an-ultron-army-and-the-mandarin/

Well that sounds...impenetrable. To be honest must of that sounds like bollocks.

Edit: Apart from Loki, marvel don't reuse villains. I don't see why they would start to now. Especially in a movie with a plot that would melt the average movie-goers brain.

Sadsack fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 18, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I love the fact that people just can't loving handle Iron Man 3. No guys, the REAL Mandarin is super badass and can beat all the Avengers!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Jesus Lord, is that for real? I think we need confirmation that this guy posting the rumors in the past, was he right on any of them?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I love the fact that people just can't loving handle Iron Man 3. No guys, the REAL Mandarin is super badass and can beat all the Avengers!

There's always that segment of fans that absolutely cannot accept anything slightly different from the source material, which is ridiculous considering how much that source material changes itself to begin with.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Diabetic posted:

Jesus Lord, is that for real? I think we need confirmation that this guy posting the rumors in the past, was he right on any of them?

Most of it is for stuff that hasn't come out yet or is presented in a vague way.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Finally, the comic book movies are starting to resemble comic books

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I liked the old "Kingsly was the Mandarin and just weaseled out of the consequences to fight another day" interpretation more then this one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, that one's pretty dumb and misses the point but it's not aggressively terrible like the Mandarin is Skynet or whatever that's saying. It is so comic book fan to have a film with a very specific theme and complain about it because the badguy wasn't like in the funnybooks, which is what the film is criticizing in the first place.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean the Ironman 3 video game had Killian's brain downloaded into AI. And he literally becomes MODOK

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Iron Man 3 had such a fun twist and it's a shame that lovely nerds hate it so much.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It's weird that Iron Man 3 was the Marvel movie that caught the most flak for deviating from source material when it was also the first one that really went Full Comic Book in terms of "let's just lob a punch of weird nonsense at the audience and expect them to roll with it", which I really loved it for.

comics nerds

Its awkward pacing would be a more legit complaint if it didn't gel so well with the "Wow Tony is a hot mess" narrative.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't Avengers 2 still almost 2 years away? I seriously doubt someone has the actual plot breakdown this early.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I am not a huge comic reader (at least not in the area of things below) but it doesn't seem that awful or impenetrable to me. Not that it is the best route, but part of the confusion might be his tweet wording...

"Mandarin" is a biological entity that can infect/control other living things.

[Avengers 2]
Mandarin uses AIM's Extremis serum as a way to propagate virally, controlling people who were injected. Who knows about the origin of Mandarin the bio concept. Killian goes crazy trying to resist the infection while Trevor doesn't. In my head I imagine Trevor becoming the "Mandarin" like the symbiote makes someone into Venom, although maybe not visually.

[Ant Man movie]
In Ant Man's flashbacks, Pym creates software which he sells to AIM that is the foundation of the Ultron AI. Mandarin uses modern Ultron to infect technology in the same way it can infect biology. Ultron and Mandarin take over the world, ultimately Ultron alone.

It masters time travel, goes back in time to mess with Pym and creates closed time loops Groundhog Day style to copy itself. Pym also gets put in a time loop, but the Collector rescues him, be becomes Yellow Jacket (?), breaks the Ultron copy-loop and gives the Avengers a window for victory.

[A2 the end]
^ This part confuses me because Ant Man comes out after Avengers, so how would A2 be "won" without the audience having Ant Man story input? The tweets also mention "The Vision" and Stark, so maybe some of Ant Man will be Avengers 2: What Really Happened.

Avengers stop Ultron once he can't copy himself infinitely. Scott Lang becomes Ant Man in the present or something.

It sounds pretty dumb to type it out like that. But if it's at all accurate and they can pull it off (the biggest hiccup to me is getting the audience to accept Avengers 2 backtracking over IM3, and AntMan backtracking over Avengers 2 while both being effective standalone) it could make for some pretty neat movies.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
That sounds really dumb. They wouldn't do that with one of the most popular film franchise in the world.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Mandarin being the linchpin of the entirety of phase 2 sounds completely ludicrous to me. Obviously Kingsley is going to show up somewhere else, but I really loving hope that isn't the case.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really don't think "And that's why Tony narrated the whole thing to Bruce" is going to be some major loving plot point, especially since there are no further Iron Man solo movies on the horizon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't one of the few concrete things said about Avengers 2 that Pym wasn't going to be in it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also no mention of Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver who will likely be big characters since Whedon loves them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Isn't Ant Man supposed to largely be a stand-alone film with an emphasis on the action-comedy blend that it's director typically does so well? I thought it wasn't intended to have any strong ties to other Marvel films.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I'm just going on the assumption that any truth in those rumors is at best a lucky coincidence

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Isn't Ant Man supposed to largely be a stand-alone film with an emphasis on the action-comedy blend that it's director typically does so well? I thought it wasn't intended to have any strong ties to other Marvel films.

Originally yes. Now it's part of Phase 3.

Harsin
Aug 1, 2004

Diabetic posted:

Apparently Roger Wardell has a good track record for Marvel spoilers.

https://twitter.com/RogerWardell

However, these are coming from a Twitter account called RogerWardell2.

https://twitter.com/RogerWardell2

Roger Wardell's actual Twitter says this:

quote:

For the record, I do NOT have a second account. Don't know where that's coming from.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't one of the few concrete things said about Avengers 2 that Pym wasn't going to be in it?
Yes they have said that before.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

That Avengers 2 nonsense is as legit as everybody mysteriously "knowing" the post-credit scene to Days of Future Past like 5 minutes after X-Men: Apocalypse was announced and mysteriously knowing nothing else about Days of Future Past.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The guy just goes too far into detail. It'd be one thing if he made a much more generalized prediction like how he has it on good authority that Mandarin will play a role later on or that Mandarin and Ultron are related, but with dozens and dozens of smaller, exact predictions he turns it farcical. To believe him, you'd have to believe that he is either Kevin Feige, or that he has access to complete scripts for several movies that are years away.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I could almost, almost, almost see it if the Avengers are huddled together in a meeting room or something, going over the files, mission review or whatever, and they start talking about how the next big threat is the Mandarin. Tony pipes up with "The Mandarin wasn't even real. He was a figurehead meant to spook governments into behaving. He was an actor hired by a mad scientist to play a roll of foreign terrorist. I took him down using all my super Iron Man toys and blew up the real criminal mastermind behind it all. It was on TV. That's the magic picture box, Cap. He's no threat and he never was."

*Ultron roars onto the screen* "RAWR! The Mandarin lives! I am his vassal! I will destroy all of humanity! RAWR! Mandarin!"

*Iron Man blinks a few times* "OK, guess I got it wrong."

Unless that happens, this is just really oddly specific fanboy speculation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seriously, that whole thing sounds like the fever dreams of a complete idiot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like SuperShadow if SuperShadow was obsessed with Marvel films instead of Star Wars.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Movies do weird things to people. Nobody gave a poo poo about the Mandarin for years, or any Iron Man villain really, but people were mad they did portray him accurately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oscar-winning Argo writer Chris Terrio is rewriting the Movie That Has Superman & Batman & Wonder Woman In It.

• Locked thread