Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gazaar posted:

There's a proper grapple you make a bit later on but it's useless. By the time you can make it you will have found at least one tech and pretty much all of them remove any need for vertical climbing tools.

By "tech" do you mean "1000 blocks of dirt" cuz that pretty much negates any need of climbing tools of any sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gazaar posted:

There's a proper grapple you make a bit later on but it's useless. By the time you can make it you will have found at least one tech and pretty much all of them remove any need for vertical climbing tools.

Useless nothin'! It generates pure awesome at a rate matched only by the Butterfly Boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there currently any way to use game files to fill your inventory up with crafting materials so you don't have to scour the galaxy for structures to demolish?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Tulip posted:

By "tech" do you mean "1000 blocks of dirt" cuz that pretty much negates any need of climbing tools of any sort.

Yeah that too but the time it takes to find an energy dash or pulse jump is so quick I don't know why you don't just loving start with a permanent grapple, or make the base grapple rope recipe the permanent version. That way you don't look like a total shitbird having to lay a block of dirt every 30 feet just to scale a plateau.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Is there currently any way to use game files to fill your inventory up with crafting materials so you don't have to scour the galaxy for structures to demolish?

If you know exactly what materials you wanted you could add them to the starting chest in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\treasure\default.treasurepools

I think there's also a "Creative Mode" mod.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Umberger posted:

If you know exactly what materials you wanted you could add them to the starting chest in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\treasure\default.treasurepools

I think there's also a "Creative Mode" mod.

Would you happen to know what the creative mode mod is called?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of block building, for those who've used Homesick, how do you feel about the material production balance? I feel like most of the wood/sand/stone recipes are fair, since you'll be getting those in such high quantities, and because they're mostly scaled with the existing materials of wood planks and cobblestone. But I'm not sure how well the metal materials balance, especially since so many need iron, and a few even use steel.
If anyone's tried building with it, let me know how you feel about the costs and outputs.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why take the risk of landing when you have a perfectly serviceable Star Trek style beaming thingy?

Because it's there! :shepface:

Mostly I just think that the early game feels kind of disconnected from most of the rest of the game. If your ship is initially stuck on your first planet then you have a clear objective to start with, and it's easier to introduce players to the meat of the game in a more natural way (seriously, I had to look up how to fuel your ship because I didn't expect to be able to just dump coal in the gas tank, and I still don't really know what the 3D printer does, or how to use schematics). It'd also make the fact that you're probably going to be keeping most of your stuff on your boat instead of building a house on the planet feel a little less awkward. I don't have any like, gameplay reason why your ship needs to be able to land after that, I just think it'd be a nice touch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

XboxPants posted:

Useless nothin'! It generates pure awesome at a rate matched only by the Butterfly Boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

God have mercy, it's the return of Worms Armageddon ninja rope battles. Looking forward to pulling off some sick dragons and wizards and pooping a mine onto some poor fool's head.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ernie Muppari posted:

Because it's there! :shepface:

Mostly I just think that the early game feels kind of disconnected from most of the rest of the game. If your ship is initially stuck on your first planet then you have a clear objective to start with, and it's easier to introduce players to the meat of the game in a more natural way (seriously, I had to look up how to fuel your ship because I didn't expect to be able to just dump coal in the gas tank, and I still don't really know what the 3D printer does, or how to use schematics). It'd also make the fact that you're probably going to be keeping most of your stuff on your boat instead of building a house on the planet feel a little less awkward. I don't have any like, gameplay reason why your ship needs to be able to land after that, I just think it'd be a nice touch.
Well, the tutorial isn't even finished yet. I'm sure things will be more understandable when you're actually led through it, rather than going straight from "here's how to mine" to "now beat the UFO boss".
As for keeping things on your ship, keep in mind that permanent bases are going to become a much bigger thing once we get the multi-teleport Tiy showed off.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is that going to be basically a town portal scroll for your home planet? Cause that's the number one thing I want in the game right now.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Get yer guns in the Beta Sector (They're kinda bad :ssh:)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Talorat posted:

Is that going to be basically a town portal scroll for your home planet? Cause that's the number one thing I want in the game right now.

Yep. He showed off a feature wherein the teleporter at your ship goes to either the current planet you're at, OR your Home Planet.

So the whole "keep everything on your ship" shtick will become unnecessary.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Malek posted:

Terminator Armor please. Thanks.

It's getting harder and harder for me to say that this game doesn't need a Warhammer total conversion mod.

gently caress sakes, if they get this stuff done in the next few months i'll make it myself.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh thank Christ. I'm so glad the devs are responsive to small but obvious game play flaws like that. This is shaping up to be a really good game. Especially if they keep updating at this pace.

Edit: I also am having that problem where starmap upgrades are only unlocked server side. This is a problem because my friend who runs the server we play on just moved and is reliant on comcast to get new internet. Is there any option to recover those upgrades without having go through all the trouble of fighting the dragon boss and such again?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Babe Magnet posted:

I like how after a certain point, the ship just gets a bunch of rooms you can't even access because there's no holes or doors.
Looks like they are adding elevators.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Oh man, seeing their proposed ship layouts is handy for me. Not sure how well I'll be able to keep the Zeppelin/blimp type layout yet on ym ship series though.

I actually appreciate the premade ships a bit more than the freeform, since they give a fairly good impression of each species respective personalities I feel.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

God have mercy, it's the return of Worms Armageddon ninja rope battles. Looking forward to pulling off some sick dragons and wizards and pooping a mine onto some poor fool's head.

Nothing will top the classic Worms ninja rope, which was actually stiff when it wasn't in contact with a surface and could be used to push you in a direction by extending it. You could do a lot of really weird technical bullshit by exploiting that behavior. This seems like a neat really elastic grappling hook, but my heart still remains with Worms Armageddon's Ninja Rope.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nothing will top the classic Worms ninja rope, which was actually stiff when it wasn't in contact with a surface and could be used to push you in a direction by extending it. You could do a lot of really weird technical bullshit by exploiting that behavior. This seems like a neat really elastic grappling hook, but my heart still remains with Worms Armageddon's Ninja Rope.
Worms 1's ninja rope could push you straight up into the air. And then you could fall to the left.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Babe Magnet posted:

Got a couple of hairstyles and the color customization fixed and working.

So, uh, planning to make a complete tutorial on how to get this all working in game for a theoretical someone making a race?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It worked that way through Armageddon and Worms World Party, too. I got so good with that drat thing.
Wiggle at close range, extend suddenly, and over the top you'll go.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zereth posted:

Worms 1's ninja rope could push you straight up into the air. And then you could fall to the left.

Yep, it was like this in 2, Armageddon, and world party as well. It was really great, but not the easiest thing to get used to. By the time they introduced .png file map importing into Armageddon, people were making crazy huge and complicated ninja rope race courses. It was awesome.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wild bropoker might be my favorite item name of all time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yep, it was like this in 2, Armageddon, and world party as well. It was really great, but not the easiest thing to get used to. By the time they introduced .png file map importing into Armageddon, people were making crazy huge and complicated ninja rope race courses. It was awesome.
I remember it not working like that in 2 and later.

To be clear, I mean you could fire it straight down into the ground you were standing on and push yourself straight up into the air. And then fall to the left, but only the left.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zereth posted:

To be clear, I mean you could fire it straight down into the ground you were standing on and push yourself straight up into the air. And then fall to the left, but only the left.

Hmm, Perhaps in Armageddon you had to use the physics to maneuver yourself to the proper position before you could push yourself straight up, but you could certainly do so. Only you could fall in either direction.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

There, done at last with the HMS Capitalism. I do agree that it's nice to see some premade ships, but I don't feel that people who want to build their own free form ship should be pigeonholed into the premade ships. They could make custom ship building something that happens later. Personally I just wish they'd slice up the backgrounds and greeblings and let each race craft those to add to their custom made ships. Then you can have personality and a nice big open canvas to build your space base in.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think humans already have this.

He can't do the sonic boom but right from the start I found a spear that shoots energy bolts, close enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zereth posted:

This was in Worms 2 and after for sure, it was called the Indian Rope Trick. I think they made it so you couldn't fire straight down using the ninja rope, so you had to do it with another weapon, hop, and in midair switch to the rope and fire to do it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

This was in Worms 2 and after for sure, it was called the Indian Rope Trick. I think they made it so you couldn't fire straight down using the ninja rope, so you had to do it with another weapon, hop, and in midair switch to the rope and fire to do it.
Ah, I see! You could fire it straight down in 1, which made it much easier.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There, done at last with the HMS Capitalism. I do agree that it's nice to see some premade ships, but I don't feel that people who want to build their own free form ship should be pigeonholed into the premade ships. They could make custom ship building something that happens later. Personally I just wish they'd slice up the backgrounds and greeblings and let each race craft those to add to their custom made ships. Then you can have personality and a nice big open canvas to build your space base in.

It's probably a good thing to have the premade ships. With the ability to port to your home planet whenever you feel your ship can act as fancy transportation as opposed to a flying minivan stuffed to the brim with lockers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
With bigger ships and instant home teleportation, I can make my awesome tree fort in a jungle of my choice, and then cover my ship in thorns, spikes, and skulls! Floran are the best.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How well does this run on a system with low RAM? I'm running a netbook with a Core i3 and an Intel HD chip, but only 2GB RAM.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

This is pretty fantastic.

I sort of thought about having a go at Starbug but that's about as cramped as the current default starter ship.

realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013

Gashroom posted:

He can't do the sonic boom but right from the start I found a spear that shoots energy bolts, close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661f-EPkJE0

It really does go with everything

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Reiley posted:

Tiy just tweeted "Well you wanted ship upgrades"

I'm more interested in the fact that apparently the ships now are *armed*. :catstare:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They've always been armed. Look at the front of the ships, by the bridge. There's forward cannons.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Would it be too game-breaking if there was a tech that let you teleport when you weren't under the sky?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That tech exists, it is called "save and quit". :v:

And yeah, the Human ship has always had blaster cannons.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

They've always been armed. Look at the front of the ships, by the bridge. There's forward cannons.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well goddamn, I feel blind. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That tech exists, it is called "save and quit". :v:

:argh:

But yeah save an quit once you hit Core, its long, but it's longer to get back up

• Locked thread