Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I usually do go for the stunners first but I keep getting held up on the little shits due to bad luck lately. I can go up the exact same team and still lose because of lovely luck. Everyone has max Thor and Wolverine now and there's no way to get through those battles without losing someone unless you use buffs...which is STILL no guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

death .cab for qt posted:

Don't bother with winning them unless you have a leveled Rag. Just grab the low level stuff and keep going, the 60 day reward is a green Rag anyway. After that, just keep rolling your luck until you can either break in with a level 85 Thor and Modern Storm in the Jungle, or abuse a high leveled villain you have kicking around.

I've been hitting top 50 in LIghtning Rounds consistently for the last few weeks but I really don't like the time investment. Another green Ragnarok coming up is awesome info though, I'll probably just end up buying the last three levels for it.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

seravid posted:

Lower-left - Forest
Lower-right - City
Up - Lab

Hah, wow...I never noticed that. Thanks!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

seravid posted:

Lower-left - Forest
Lower-right - City
Up - Lab

Holy crap, mind blown.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the 5 zone ring, clockwise starting from bottom left it's City, Forest, Lab, Latveria, City.

Every environment but Forest, Lab and Arctic suck though. Mmmm hot dogs.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Gallow posted:

Everyone has max Thor and Wolverine now and there's no way to get through those battles without losing someone unless you use buffs...which is STILL no guarantee.

That doesn't sound right; what's your A-Team?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do different characters get different amounts from environment tiles, or is it just based on level?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's on their stats screen. A couple of people have a natural 4, but the vast majority just have 3.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Also, a buffed character has that buffed as well, which will usually bump them to the front.

Got two more covers for one of my last remaining villains Loki, of course. I'm tempted to keep him at 3/5 just because Trickery is Not Very Good and they might give him a third skill someday. (2/3 now, so I have time to consider this.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Well the good thing about Mag's round is that he's fun to play even at level 15. Getting my uber-turns with Moonstone and Storm is always hilarious. I even get Control Shift off in the forest level!

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

seravid posted:

That doesn't sound right; what's your A-Team?

I usually start with max 5/5/3 Thor, max 4/5/4 Wolverine (working on a max green replacement one now), and then experiment with the third slot. I have a 3/5/4 lvl 54 Spidey, a 5/0 lvl 63 Doom, a 5/5 lvl 58 Daken, a maxed CStorm, a 5/3/2 lvl 102 IM 40, and a bunch of other miscellaneous crap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you using boosts at all?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Going against Thor and Wolverine with your own Thor and (non-optimal) Wolverine is asking for trouble. I'd go all in on Spidey and use IM40 as a tank; third slot... maybe CStorm for her green ability, or Thor to play it safe, or 5/3/5 Wolverine when you get him (good luck with that, I'm still missing three covers).

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I usually don't use boosts until the last hour of the tournament or if there's a progression reward I really want. I figure if I need a boost to beat someone, they'll just beat me right back and make the whole thing futile. If there's only a half hour left, there may not be enough time for them to retaliate.

My biggest problem is I seem to be on the bad side of the Cascade Goddess today. When Thor is involved, whoever gets off the first yellow attack usually wins, especially if they one shot someone. It also seems that most of my good characters all need red, either for attacks or to turn into strike tiles. No red, no chance.

EDIT: I think I found the team combo I've been in desperate need of. IM 40, Spidey, and Wolverine. IM 40 and Spidey together are the saving grace, because IM tanks for the blue matches instead of leaving Spidey vulnerable. Now I've ended the past four matches trying to get enough yellow together to heal the team up with seven or so web tiles out. Add Wolverine's strike tiles to that and I haven't had to worry too much about using a nuke attack yet. What a relief!

Gallow fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 18, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Wow.....my last fight in that Magneto LR turned into the longest fight I've ever played, sorry goons.

All was going well until my Thor suddenly got splattered when I ran out of stuns from Spidey and their Thor landed all three powers at the same time on him. Fine, so I have Magneto and Spidey left, I can take out his Thor and Magneto. Until Thor manages to again splatter Magneto when I literally am one turn away from stunlocking him again.

So now it's Spidey alone vs Thor and Magneto. I swear to god, it took loving days but I killed them both. Long Live Spidey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I jumped into NHB this morning in the hopes of getting into a slacker ladder. I wasn't really hoping for anything outside of the 400 progression reward (hero points) which I just managed to reach and some more using:

37 storm / 37 Thor / 28 grey widow. Widow and Thor are as high as covers will allow and storm I'm working to get to 50 ASAP.

With the All AP+RY stockpile boosts I can start the match with a mistress of the elements and just begin a chain reaction of cascades that's amazing to pull off. After a few matches I can smash poo poo down with Thor and finish off whatever survives with more cascades.

It's absolutely hilarious to play.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Are you all buying covers with HC (cash I assume?) or are you just very lucky. I have a lot of characters - like 23, but I've gotten very few multiples of any 2s and 3s outside of spiderman from getting 2 top 5's and moonstone from like every god drat thing ever. Like, the one rag cover I got was cool, but at level 15 he doesn't do too much for me. Same thing with Iron man 40

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Most of my upper tier characters are prizes. Either heroic tokens or actual covers from events. The only thing I bought with cash was more cover space.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Karnegal posted:

Are you all buying covers with HC (cash I assume?) or are you just very lucky. I have a lot of characters - like 23, but I've gotten very few multiples of any 2s and 3s outside of spiderman from getting 2 top 5's and moonstone from like every god drat thing ever. Like, the one rag cover I got was cool, but at level 15 he doesn't do too much for me. Same thing with Iron man 40

I'm at about 26 roster slots and all but two are spoken for. A few weeks ago I had saved up 2500 hero points and drunkenly spent them on my Ragnarok that had two red covers making him 0/4 (I was in between him and Spidey's blue on who to spend two power levels on). This turned out to be an awesome investment because lightning rounds are reliably every week, and the higher level your villains are, the further you go and less you're attacked.

The rich truly do get richer, I hit fifth place in the Rag round that just happened and now have a 3 green/5 red ragnarok. If you can do so, strengthen your villains as much as you can, powers and levels. Once you do it's all downhill from there, holy poo poo.

\/\/\/Well, yeah, Loki is the worst villain. It's all about breaking 10k health with someone and then you get skipped a hell of a lot. Synth knows what's up, his doom is super strong. If you can't score high in rag rounds, get those diabolical tokens.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 18, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got a 5/4 Loki. The above advice is a lie!

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

Always an exception to the rule. I have one lonely Loki cover siting there collecting dust.

what I need if they're not going to give up more Rags is blue Dooms. I don't know how I managed to get five blacks and no blues!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm using Wolverine/Thor/Moonstone. All three are level 35-40, and I can completely dumpster teams with level 80+ IM40s/Ragnaroks/Thors/Whatever. Wolverine and Moonstone are so good together it's not even funny. The only reason I'm even doing well in this tournament is because there are no buffed heroes. I can send in my A team and not need to heal for 3-4 fights. I'm up in the 800s and getting all my points via counterattacks. I'm still not sure if I want Grey Suit or Original Black Widow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm using Wolverine/Thor/Moonstone. All three are level 35-40, and I can completely dumpster teams with level 80+ IM40s/Ragnaroks/Thors/Whatever. Wolverine and Moonstone are so good together it's not even funny. The only reason I'm even doing well in this tournament is because there are no buffed heroes. I can send in my A team and not need to heal for 3-4 fights. I'm up in the 800s and getting all my points via counterattacks. I'm still not sure if I want Grey Suit or Original Black Widow.

How does that work with Wolverine and Moonstone? Is each bit of damage per red tile counted separately?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
:woop: placed 88th and my heroic token was a red ragnarok!

EDIT: Also now I have a level 24 ragnark for the next round!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bruceski posted:

How does that work with Wolverine and Moonstone? Is each bit of damage per red tile counted separately?

I'm guessing you use Wolvie to spawn red tiles with the red AP (from his green attack), which doubles as the Photon nuke for Moonstone?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

His green slash does spawn red strike tiles (if the existing red tiles are all strike tiles.)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 18, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wolverine's red doesnt spawn red tiles, and his green only converts basic red tiles. They both work well in that they require reds on the board though.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
He doesn't poof red tiles into play, sadly. Once they're all filled up, you just keep feral slashing.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The strike tile bonus is added after the photon blast damage is calculated, not on each red tile. I just did 1590 from 9 red tiles, 5 of which were strike tiles (234+119*9+57*5).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
My 100 HC daily was an invisible woman. Is she at all playable or just super rare?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She's basically worthless unless you have a blue and a green cover and she's levelled high enough to be matching at least one colour.

I'm still waiting on my green cover to find out if she's not worthless after that :v:

(but yeah, she's super rare)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, I'm sitting here watching my NHB bracket. Nobody's fighting me personally (and I'm not fighting them) but over the last 4 hours I've gone from 13th to 6th and back to 11th. Looks like there's a lot of people trying to tweak their score.

E: and the moment I say that someone swoops in and blows me down 27 points. You here Shuts? You watching, couldn't resist the irony?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 18, 2013

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This loving game has stolen my soul.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who needs a soul when you can have all the red Juggernaut covers you could want?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Who needs a soul when you can have all the red Juggernaut covers you could want?

Playing the lightning rounds makes me feel like an AI controlled Juggs with 30 red AP

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

So uh... this guy has a lv226 4* Wolverine :pwn:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I got a ragnarok from a standard hero token. Do I win yet?

I also have iron man model 40 and the hood, also from standard hero tokens, but I don't know if those are any good.

If Only I had the roster space. with only like 8 slots I'm still super limited. maybe I'll pay real monies for space.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 18, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, gently caress lightning rounds. My highest level character is a 53 moonstone that I'm not even using because 25 rag is just better. I was ranked 30 from start to like 15 minutes left and then every single match it offered me was bullshit with either triple villains, level 80+ thor, or 50+ wolverine and daken. Like, normally, if I spend 30-45 seconds skipping I can find something approaching my own level, and that's how it was up until the final 15 when suddenly I couldn't buy a match where thor didn't 1 shot my guys. Is there some element where you just get dicked hard in the last 15? Or do I have the worst luck.

FAKE EDIT: This game is now an addiction. :(

REAL EDIT: My heroic token is daken, shoot me now

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Karnegal posted:

My 100 HC daily was an invisible woman. Is she at all playable or just super rare?

Once you get enough covers, she's a board wipe (near 100% of all tiles) + AP gain monster.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What is the best way to stop playing this game for the night or something if you plan on switching devices? I've noticed that sometimes I'll finish something on my phone, then log in with my tablet and the thing I've done won't be done- like, selling poo poo covers or levelling someone up. Which, while those are minor but annoying, this morning after loading my game on the tablet, it "forgot" that I used my phone and polished off someone's team that I lost against right before going to bed. It burnt one of my attempts and dropped my reward value and took away my prize. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah poo poo I propelled myself to first place on NHB. Someone please attack me.