Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing the game through five times on PC, I never encountered any bugs outside of the aforementioned one at the embassy. But when I recently picked the game up again for the PS3, I ran into a ton of AI glitches, wonky broken cameras and some save game problems (I would reload and sometimes every enemy in the zone would be despawned until I reached the next checkpoint).

I don't know enough about game development to know why or how two different version like this could be so adversely affected, but now I at least understand the complaints about AP being a relatively buggy mess on consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I think even just opening it fucks you up, because a similar thing happened to me. Probably the only real glitch in terms of plot action->reaction in the game, despite the "Obsidian glitch fest" reputation.

I've opened it at the end (for access to the sniper rifle drop) and haven't got any flags about killing Marines; this was on an xbox.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Great Lakes Log posted:

Playing the game through five times on PC, I never encountered any bugs outside of the aforementioned one at the embassy. But when I recently picked the game up again for the PS3, I ran into a ton of AI glitches, wonky broken cameras and some save game problems (I would reload and sometimes every enemy in the zone would be despawned until I reached the next checkpoint).

I don't know enough about game development to know why or how two different version like this could be so adversely affected, but now I at least understand the complaints about AP being a relatively buggy mess on consoles.

I got the no enemies spawn thing a few times on the PC. I didn't mind though, it only happened to me on levels with nameless mooks, and it isn't like the combat in AP is anything special. A quiet stroll is just fine.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

I got the no enemies spawn thing a few times on the PC. I didn't mind though, it only happened to me on levels with nameless mooks, and it isn't like the combat in AP is anything special. A quiet stroll is just fine.

It lost Brayko on me once. Sure made that fight easier.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

MrXmas posted:

You might not have actually done that; there's a glitch that makes the game think you did if you sneak into the Embassy through the upstairs door, or something like that. The one major bug in the game, really.

That must have been it exactly! I was so bummed because I purposely loaded up on tranq rounds when I found out I had to fight through the embassy. I even made sure to not knock out the patrolling guard outside because :america:. Imagine my surprise at the end of the game when Leland said I couldn't go back due to my murdering US marines. It really was a gut punch moment, and I'm glad to hear that it was a bug and not my carelessness that got those men killed.

I'm currently fighting the urge to start up another game in AP. I am trying to force myself to take a little bit of a break from it, I tend to burn out if I let myself go all in on a game like AP. I want to space out my run throughs so I can get maximum enjoyment.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Protip for new players: listen to the radio at the very end. What is said changes depending on what you did over your run.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

USMC_Karl posted:

That must have been it exactly! I was so bummed because I purposely loaded up on tranq rounds when I found out I had to fight through the embassy. I even made sure to not knock out the patrolling guard outside because :america:. Imagine my surprise at the end of the game when Leland said I couldn't go back due to my murdering US marines. It really was a gut punch moment, and I'm glad to hear that it was a bug and not my carelessness that got those men killed.

I'm currently fighting the urge to start up another game in AP. I am trying to force myself to take a little bit of a break from it, I tend to burn out if I let myself go all in on a game like AP. I want to space out my run throughs so I can get maximum enjoyment.

Maybe Leland spread lies about you and made you out to have killed the US marines who died fighting the actual attackers.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

USMC_Karl posted:

That Leland scene really annoyed me since it doesn't give you the option to deny anything, even though G22/VCI literally blows up the loving place and shoots it out with the guards. And I'm the one getting blamed for killing them? Having it triggered by a bug made it worse, making me sit there while Mike confesses to something he didn't do :freep:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus Christ I had no idea Alpha Protocol was an Obsidian game and an RPG! I follow gaming news pretty intently but I still missed this. How much difference is there between versions? Is the PS3 one adequate?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Jesus Christ I had no idea Alpha Protocol was an Obsidian game and an RPG! I follow gaming news pretty intently but I still missed this. How much difference is there between versions? Is the PS3 one adequate?

Sounds like it might be quite buggy, do PC if you can.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Sounds like it might be quite buggy, do PC if you can.

I have a super lovely PC, how much I can downgrade the graphics and stuff in this game? Also, can you window it? I never understood PC gaming, for example Splinter Cell: Conviction runs perfectly, AssCreed: Brotherhood is a bit chuggy but playable, a lot of emulator games are perfect (gamecube Zelda's and whatnot) and then some old rear end poo poo like Jade Empire or Witcher 1 is unplayable. You never know what you get, console games at least always work.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I played on PS3 and didn't run into anything too out of the ordinary, but the PC does have higher resolution textures and stuff, so that gives it a leg up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, PS3 player with no issues here. Probably one of the more stable games I've played on the console, honestly (but to be fair, I mostly play open-world RPGs, which are known to poo poo themselves on the system).

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

I played on PS3 and didn't run into anything too out of the ordinary, but the PC does have higher resolution textures and stuff, so that gives it a leg up.

Did you do a lot of the sidequests and other extra stuff? I almost bought New Vegas for PS3 until I found out it was basically broken, that poo poo traumatized me. Current gen's open ended gaming leaves a lot room for improvement: I'd rather play a linear game like The Last of Us that is beautiful and loving works than something that needs to be patched every moth for years to come to have it properly working.

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, PS3 player with no issues here. Probably one of the more stable games I've played on the console, honestly (but to be fair, I mostly play open-world RPGs, which are known to poo poo themselves on the system).

Okay, heading for the store tomorrow!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Did you do a lot of the sidequests and other extra stuff? I almost bought New Vegas for PS3 until I found out it was basically broken, that poo poo traumatized me. Current gen's open ended gaming leaves a lot room for improvement: I'd rather play a linear game like The Last of Us that is beautiful and loving works than something that needs to be patched every moth for years to come to have it properly working.

New Vegas is on a notoriously bad engine, every Gamebryo engine game was a buggy wreck on PS3, that's not a dev problem. Also AP isn't an open world game or anything like that, there are no sidequests or side content, you basically have hubs with like 3-4 missions in their own separate maps that you can choose to do in whatever order you please, it's not a game where you explore hidden nooks in crannies, it's a game where every decision you make is reflected by the game at various points.

Technically speaking, AP is a pretty linear game in that you always have the same beginning and only a handful of different endings, but your middles will be vastly different; people you thought were allies in one game turn out to be secretly working against you, and in a third game, you may find out there's a secret third party playing the both of you, causing you to put aside your differences. Stuff like that.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 9, 2013

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ManOfTheYear posted:

It's one of the cheapest used games you can find and you'll honestly feel bad about how much of a steal you can find it for.

edit: Though South Park: Stick of Truth is finally coming out in March, so that'll be how I give money back to Obsidian.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 9, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

It's one of the cheapest used games you can find and you'll honestly feel bad about how much of a steal you can find it for.

edit: Though South Park: Stick of Truth is finally coming out in March, so that'll be how I give money back to Obsidian.

Wait, it's been pushed back to March now?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
AP is Spygames Mass Effect with better dialog, a better dialog system, actual reactivity, and a gently caress ton more bugs. It is also one of the best games I've ever played.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Soonmot posted:

Wait, it's been pushed back to March now?

Indeed, March 4th. But at least this is one of the delays that comes with an actual release date, so... maybe this time.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Crappy Jack posted:

people you thought were allies in one game turn out to be secretly working against you, and in a third game, you may find out there's a secret third party playing the both of you

...and in a fourth game, you shoot that secret third party in the knee. There's so many characters that AP makes you learn to hate, and so many immensely satisfying ways to deal with those characters. And then there's Heck :allears:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I've been playing Alpha Protocol on-and-off over the years, but I'm still unclear on whether it's possible to kill both Surkov and Brayko in the same playthrough. Any experiences? I'm sure a lot of people must have attempted it before, right?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's most definitely possible. The decision to kill Brayko can be made after you figure out that Surkov has been pulling the strings. Then you get the mission to go after Surkov, and as far as I can recall killing him is always on the table.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gimmick Account posted:

I've been playing Alpha Protocol on-and-off over the years, but I'm still unclear on whether it's possible to kill both Surkov and Brayko in the same playthrough. Any experiences? I'm sure a lot of people must have attempted it before, right?

I've never done it, but you should have the option to execute Brayko after he gives you the intel and unlocks the mission.

edit: beaten

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not only is it possible, it's necessary to get the "kill everything that moves" achievement I think.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's possible to kill almost every single NPC if you're so inclined. The only ones who will always survive are Grigori, Hong Shi and Steven Heck. Though in a single playthrough you have to choose between killing Albatross or SIE.

It does make the Thorton Inc. ending pretty hilarious, since Mike's list of allies ends up being rather short.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I finally installed this game after having it sit in my library for some time. I completed the first mission on Saudi Arabia and I enjoyed the 2 hours I've played so far... except when it bugs out.

It freezes my computer at the most random times, I just get a black screen with the music spazzing out. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, I have to force restart my computer. So far it has already happened 3 times, once during the tutorial, another when I was in the mission, and last one just after I loaded the game.

I don't think it's my hardware, as I've played more modern games without any problems whatsoever. I've also rechecked the game's integrity with Steam.

If anyone has encountered anything like this before please help, it seems like a good game but it hates my computer for some reason.

My specs:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
i5 3570K
8Gb RAM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I played through it with your specs except I have an i3 and things worked fine. Do you have the latest drivers?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Samuel Clemens posted:

It does make the Thorton Inc. ending pretty hilarious, since Mike's list of allies ends up being rather short.

Thorton: Yeah, and I've been building up my contacts. I've got... Steven Heck.
Leland: :aaa:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The only thing better than the Thorton Inc. ending where you have all the allies is the Thorton Inc. ending where you have none of them. Leland has the same facial expression because it's the same animation, but in the first one it clearly conveys the "Oh poo poo, I'm way out of my depth" factor and in the second one it looks a hell of a lot more like "I got beat by this guy?"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Thorton: Yeah, and I've been building up my contacts. I've got... Steven Heck.
Leland: :aaa:

I wonder if part of that is because Chris Avellone insinuated that Heck was the one playing both sides in Taiwan and told Omen Deng that you were the assassin, so Leland may now think he was being played by Heck as well. Or Heck is playing everyone. Which he is.

Anyone got a funnel?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Thanks for the clarification on the Surkov/Brayko-issue, everyone! First time I've seen that particular series of events happen.

I have another death-related question for the veterans, though: When you're back in the Graybox for the finale, do killed guards actually count against you in the ending in the same way that killed marines/cia agents elsewhere do? Because then I would have to change my strategy accordingly - I'm trying to do my first 100% 'patriotic' run this time.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gimmick Account posted:

Thanks for the clarification on the Surkov/Brayko-issue, everyone! First time I've seen that particular series of events happen.

I have another death-related question for the veterans, though: When you're back in the Graybox for the finale, do killed guards actually count against you in the ending in the same way that killed marines/cia agents elsewhere do? Because then I would have to change my strategy accordingly - I'm trying to do my first 100% 'patriotic' run this time.

No, they don't.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder if part of that is because Chris Avellone insinuated that Heck was the one playing both sides in Taiwan and told Omen Deng that you were the assassin, so Leland may now think he was being played by Heck as well. Or Heck is playing everyone. Which he is.

Anyone got a funnel?

Wait, where did avellone say that? Curious minds want to know

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

double nine posted:

Wait, where did avellone say that? Curious minds want to know

Someone tweeted the theory at him and he replied that it would be just like Heck to do something like that.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Someone tweeted the theory at him and he replied that it would be just like Heck to do something like that.

Heck wasn't written by Chris Avellone. You'd have to ask Travis Stout (Who's working on a new Assassin's Creed AFAIK.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pringles_School posted:

Heck wasn't written by Chris Avellone. You'd have to ask Travis Stout (Who's working on a new Assassin's Creed AFAIK.)

Avellone was the main game writer so presumably he'd be most familiar with the overall plot. Also someone gave you up in Taiwan as the assassin.

I want to play an Assassin's Creed game with Steven Heck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pringles_School posted:

Oh I didn't even know that when I asked. I'll see what I can find out.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Avellone was the main game writer so presumably he'd be most familiar with the overall plot. Also someone gave you up in Taiwan as the assassin.

I want to play an Assassin's Creed game with Steven Heck.

Travis was the lead overall on Taiwan fleshing everything out. he was also working on Heck before Avellone even joined the project. Heck being the one charachter closest to his original form (before Avellone).

So, its hard to say.

Travis also worked on FNV writing Raul and Lily as well as writing half of Old World Blues. IIRC.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Chris Avellone's prominence kind of overshadows the other writing talent at Obsidian, so it's nice to find out who actually wrote certain parts of their games and know that, eg, Eric Fenstermaker and Travis Stout are names to pay attention to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Travis, like most everyone who's been at Obsidian, is also a hell of a cool guy.

• Locked thread