Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, they ARE planning ship combat in the far future, so maybe visible armaments will play a role at some point. Didn't they say it could end up being something like FTL, or am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Tiy said if he had a choice that's what he'd want his combat to be like, and if/when they do implement it they'll strive towards something like that.
It's probably my most anticipated post-release feature, after the Director Mode. That's gonna be some crazy poo poo.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
So I've noticed something interesting. Chests seem to be universal on specific clients, but not actually between clients it seems. I've gone to the same planet twice after breaking the game with my modding restarting a character to find the same legendary sword. I wonder if it's just dumb luck or it actually is like that.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Tiy said if he had a choice that's what he'd want his combat to be like, and if/when they do implement it they'll strive towards something like that.
It's probably my most anticipated post-release feature, after the Director Mode. That's gonna be some crazy poo poo.

So I have a query: If it'll be like FTL, Does this mean that *we'll* be the crew members, and on multiplayer servers we all can man a station?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

nullEntityRNG posted:

So I've noticed something interesting. Chests seem to be universal on specific clients, but not actually between clients it seems. I've gone to the same planet twice after breaking the game with my modding restarting a character to find the same legendary sword. I wonder if it's just dumb luck or it actually is like that.

My first guess is that the contents are based on a seed generated with your character (the file name appears to be completely random, for instance.) But if you recreated a character and it's still the same, it must be from something else entirely. Interesting.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Speedball posted:

Would it be too game-breaking if there was a tech that let you teleport when you weren't under the sky?

Hopefully we'll be able to craft some sort of "teleport beacon" that you can set up anywhere and then use to return to your ship. Of course it would also be a selectable point to return to when you beam down from the ship again.

At least that's what I'm rooting for.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

It can't be an accident how phallic that is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
With humans, even less likely to be a coincidence.

On the subject of teleporters, they did mention that stargate-style inter-world transport would be added eventually. I look forward to seeing how that changes up the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How well does this run on a system with low RAM? I'm running a netbook with a Core i3 and an Intel HD chip, but only 2GB RAM.

It will run on 2 GB but it won't like it. Use the OpenGL version and close all web browsers and other intensive applications before playing.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I sort of wish that grappling hooks would be the norm for air travel and underground shenanigans. Since I hit top tier I can fly around really fast infinitely with bubble and butterfly boost no problem, and with judicial energy use I can even fire off my grenade launchers while I do it. I would rather they make the flying techs either prohibitively expensive, or more like a gravity enabled jet pack where you had to use energy faster than you regained it, and just tapping it would just let you hover a bit longer.

As it is now, the flying techs make double jump, gravity negation, rocket jump, and the blink techs worthless, as well as making the grappling hook just a toy. PvP and exploration would be more fun in my mind if it took some actual effort to get around. That said though, the lack of overhead things to grab above ground, and the claustrophobic nature of most underground spaces seems to already make the grappling hook largely useless.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 18, 2013

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Nyyen posted:

I sort of wish that grappling hooks would be the norm for air travel and underground shenanigans. Since I hit top tier I can fly around really fast infinitely with bubble and butterfly boost no problem, and with judicial energy use I can even fire off my grenade launchers while I do it. I would rather they make the flying techs either prohibitively expensive, or more like a gravity enabled jet pack where you had to use energy faster than you regained it, and just tapping it would just let you hover a bit longer.

As it is now, the flying techs make double jump, gravity negation, rocket jump, and the blink techs worthless, as well as making the grappling hook just a toy. PvP and exploration would be more fun in my mind if it took some actual effort to get around. That said though, the lack of overhead things to grab above, and the claustrophobic nature of most underground spaces seems to already make the grappling hook largely useless.

Keep in mind Grapping Hooks were only added like 3 days ago, and we are only seeing the first 4 tiers of 10. I agree with you though, and that's why we should continue adding feedback.

I mean poo poo we already have a flying car, mechs, etc. I'm sure after Tier 4 even our current Techs will be outdated by Tier 6.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fair to Midland posted:

I mean poo poo we already have a flying car

Wait, we do?

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

explosivo posted:

Wait, we do?

Yeah they successfully modded it on the goon server in PGS, at least it sounded that way when I was playing. I don't think it's officially in the base game yet though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've been getting weird lag when picking up items and while the game is generating new chunks. What's up with that? Movement is fine but mobs, items and such feel like I'm playing with a 1000ms ping.

USMC bases have stoves. Regular, "today-ish" ones.
vvvvv

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 18, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Has anybody found a modern style stove? I have my place all decked out in modern era looking poo poo, with a frickin cobblestone pizza oven in the kitchen.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Are you suggesting that pizza ovens are not rad as gently caress? If I had a spaceship I'd want it to have a brick pizza oven.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FrancoFish posted:

Has anybody found a modern style stove? I have my place all decked out in modern era looking poo poo, with a frickin cobblestone pizza oven in the kitchen.

Yeah, there's a modern style oven. No idea where we found it. Maybe Apex? We use it in the ship galley. You can see it on the lower right.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

FrancoFish posted:

Yes. I found one in an Apex base; I don't have the coordinates though, sorry.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I found a desolate moon with no plant life except for a sprawling tree village inhabited by robots. :catstare:

I also had a chef on my ship but I killed him on accident.

I found butterfly bubble tech and I can't imagine anything being better than this.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Sanzuo posted:

I found a desolate moon with no plant life except for a sprawling tree village inhabited by robots. :catstare:

I also had a chef on my ship but I killed him on accident.

I found butterfly bubble tech and I can't imagine anything being better than this.

I've lost all my ship NPCs by somehow attacking them when I beam back aboard. Tonight somehow I aggro'd my guard so I killed him, and that made my doctor mad at me and attack me.

I think once we get the home planet thing settled in, we can safely place our people there. gently caress I miss being able to buy bombs on my ship.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So I've been away doing finals and poo poo and I come back to like loving 1800 posts (Christ this thread moves fast.)

Can anybody update me on poo poo that has occurred, updates or features announced or implemented? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, it's really awesome that I even get to ask this question, because I don't doubt that it's warranted.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Rotten Cookies posted:

So I've been away doing finals and poo poo and I come back to like loving 1800 posts (Christ this thread moves fast.)

Can anybody update me on poo poo that has occurred, updates or features announced or implemented? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, it's really awesome that I even get to ask this question, because I don't doubt that it's warranted.

There's way too much to even try and sum up, go to their site.

e: http://playstarbound.com/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For some reason the invisible lights used by the default ships to illuminate various sections are not invisible on my ship. :confused:

Though just to try something different I made most of the shipblocks the same fore and background blocked but not solid block type as the cockpit. Seems to work better.

Still not sure how to go about making the outside look better.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Found these, they're right next to each other Horsebutt to the right of redditron some.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Because you're a refugee or whatever and your ship is all hosed up and you had to do a crash-landing. That's why it helps make things make more sense - you're starting at caveman level because your ship and all your technology is all hosed up/broken/out of energy.

Starbound: Birds Projectiles destroyed my starship.

Maybe that could be why you crashed though, birds shot you down.

robotsinmyhead posted:

2-Handers are the way to go, unless you're really slick with the shield.

I REALLY wish that spears worked like they did in Terraria though, they're a bit too difficult right now, and when you stack on the odd disadvantage you have by being on higher ground, it gets tough.
I agree to the superiority of the 2-hand sword arc. But I just like the FEEL of the 2-handed hammer, and it only has a slightly smaller arc so it's still pretty practical.

The 2-handed axes tend to be pretty garbage by comparison though. As much (or less?) than a 1-handed reach, with an overhand arc so tiny it might as well not be there. Which makes me sad because I think they are cool. Spears are kinda hit and miss for me. But that steel spear was a godsend for a PROPER battle with the brain robot boss. If they are indeed adding the ability to aim with them ala Terraria, I will adore them even though they are slower and have no huge gently caress off arc.

Been sidelined from actually playing much Starbound from shitloads of shoveling. At this point I'm considering waiting till the next wipe or major update to start fresh, but I suspect I'll get back to screwing around just because even if it is two seconds to wipe o'clock.

Also, holyfuck those ship previews. I know they said it was going to be a thing, but having some development pictures to go along with it is nice.

Regarding the upcoming ability to Teleport to your homeworld. I am SO looking forward to this. But they will need to tweak how you select your homeworld, or you will never need to fly your ship anywhere. Because at the moment, you can set anywhere on the map as your homeworld, even if you are not at that star, even if you have never BEEN there. Abusable as all gently caress, but all they need to do to fix that is only make worlds you are orbiting able to be set as home.

On the cooking subject, God I wish a cooking table could be used to COOK ALIEN MEAT, but nooo I still need a campfire inside my ship, next to the nice table used for baking bread and stuff.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

An update to my flamethrower mod for those who are interesed:

Download link here

Biggest change is it has it's own new status effect, more powerful than the default burning effect. Damage/energy/recipe has been balanced a bit as well.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 18, 2013

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

The Green Calx posted:

An update to my flamethrower mod for those who are interesed:

Download link here

Biggest change is it has it's own new status effect, more powerful than the default burning effect. Damage/energy/recipe has been balanced a bit as well.

And why haven't you made a gun that vomits toxic blood?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game runs incredibly hot on my MBP. It's not even particularly old, just a few months. Does this happen for anyone else?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still not sure how to go about making the outside look better.

Add wear and tear? Burn the exhausts on the engine units, scrape up the bow of the ship's paint. Too uniform of paint, maybe section up some of the really broad panels with smaller patches?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Pollyanna posted:

This game runs incredibly hot on my MBP. It's not even particularly old, just a few months. Does this happen for anyone else?

Far as I know, Macbooks just run hot in general when used for gaming.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Section Z posted:

On the cooking subject, God I wish a cooking table could be used to COOK ALIEN MEAT, but nooo I still need a campfire inside my ship, next to the nice table used for baking bread and stuff.

Pretty sure you can find a regular oven, but those are for regular jerkoffs.

Real men cook their food over a burning oil drum.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's also the nanocooker or whatever it's called which is a boss rear end little blue flamed camp stove for on your ship if you want to be high tech.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It will run on 2 GB but it won't like it. Use the OpenGL version and close all web browsers and other intensive applications before playing.

I'm gonna assume the Linux version is probably less optimized than the Windows version, so I'll just stick to playing on my desktop then, thanks.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

It ain't compensating, it's advertising.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Huszsersvn posted:

It ain't compensating, it's advertising.

Is that green snow? :3: Do you have co-ordinates handy?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm gonna assume the Linux version is probably less optimized than the Windows version, so I'll just stick to playing on my desktop then, thanks.

From what I remember, they finished the Linux versions before the windows version during patching.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

joats posted:

From what I remember, they finished the Linux versions before the windows version during patching.

In so far as they compiled them first, yes.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I used the expensive Floran bio-lights, the ones that cost 500pix apiece.

Planet: X 54 Leo 04 III
X: -10450015
Y: 65814041

And just in case this kind of thing works here's the WORLD file. I assume you can paste it into your Starbound/universe folder.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

zolthorg posted:

Is that green snow? :3: Do you have co-ordinates handy?

They're some sort of bio light, I think. I've seen them in floran dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I should ask my blatantly obvious question, I have only been playing super casually as I'm letting a friend's progress dictate when I progress in Starbound, so I'm currently locked to the Alpha and Beta sectors as he doesn't want to be spoiled on how to unlock the next sector. :rolleyes:

Are non Avian and Apex settlements more common in Gamma / Delta and X ? I've literally only seen those two races and one extremely rare Glitch settlement or two which will be one guy in a cart or a 1 room castle.

• Locked thread