Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Marv Albert posted:

Strangely, melatonin makes no difference in sleep quality for me, but 5-htp, which becomes melatonin, does.

Hey, same here (and I try to take 100mgs around bedtime too). That's curious.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

God, I've been getting so irritable and angry lately, I feel like I'm spinning out of control. I don't have any hope left and I really, really wish I could die rather than keep trying bullshit treatments and talking to shrinks I know who won't care. It's either complete numbness or feeling like giving up entirely

:( It sounds like the Strattera really isn't working out. Most of what you've mentioned in your last few posts are known side effects. Did you manage to talk to a psych about switching to another medication? Or even just stopping it at this point, because it sounds like it's just been making things worse. As far as I know, unlike most other antidepressants it doesn't induce withdrawal. But I'm not a doctor.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What does building up a tolerance to Adderall feel like? I've been on 10 mg XR for over a year now (previously 5mg IR, and before that Strattera (ugh)), and I'm not sure if it's stopped working well, or I'm becoming tolerant to my caffeinated drinks, or if there's something else going on.

Also, do magnesium supplements actually help with reducing tolerances when taken during medication breaks?

Edit: and is there any way to turn three 10mg capsules into two 15mg capsules without screwing up the instant/delayed ratio

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 16, 2013

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Tomorrow I'm going up to 100mg Strattera capsules! Wish me luck everybody!

By the way, now that I've started Strattera twice, I can tell you all that taking the capsule right before bed does wonders for mitigating the side effects. You may wish to buy those cheap mouth guards. The first time I titrated up I had teeth grinding issues. It didn't happen the second time.

I actually had an Adderall ir for the first time the other night. Mind you, I was already on Strattera so maybe it was a result of stacking the two, but it actually made me drowsy and I felt like my mind was blank. I didn't talk my boyfriend's ear off because I just didn't have anything to talk about. Now I see where the stereotype of the robot Ritalin kid comes from. It was kinda cool though, I felt pretty zen. I'd try it again for sure.
I didn't get that effect from the xr. Well, I didn't feel like 20mg xr was doing much except making me anxious. I wonder though if the low doses don't affect me because two years ago I was doing a lot of cocaine and I ruined my dopamine receptors or something.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Edit: and is there any way to turn three 10mg capsules into two 15mg capsules without screwing up the instant/delayed ratio

Dunno about your other questions, but this one's not possible with XR. Also, you're on a really low dose! 10mg XR is just 5mg and then in a while another 5mg. A 15mg XR is 7.5 + 7.5, and there's just no way to get there with 10 mg XR pills. As far as I can tell, the instant and delayed balls are indistinguishable, and I wouldn't suggest messing around with trying to crush them.

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?
Has anyone noticed their reflexes have sharpened after being medicated? Now I can reach out and catch things falling that I only see in my peripheral vision - without even thinking about it. Wish I'd had anything like that when I was a kid in phys ed class. Might have mitigated the terror!

As much as I enjoy the few hours of feeling like I'm not an utter fraud, the comedown can be pretty hard. Both physically and mentally exhausting. I sometimes wonder if it's just too late for me. Was in a state of survival mode for so long that the part of me that ever wanted anything out of life can't seem to resurface. Don't want to do better at my job, don't want a better future for myself, don't want to read or play an instrument or draw, don't want to learn or take classes. I'm only fulfilling part of the second tier of Maslow's hierarchy of needs and certainly nothing above it. How do you make yourself want something? I feel like if I could WANT something, the Vyvanse would give me the kick in the rear that I wouldn't have otherwise had. My work ethic is better now but I don't know what to do with it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Goddamn posted:

Dunno about your other questions, but this one's not possible with XR. Also, you're on a really low dose! 10mg XR is just 5mg and then in a while another 5mg. A 15mg XR is 7.5 + 7.5, and there's just no way to get there with 10 mg XR pills. As far as I can tell, the instant and delayed balls are indistinguishable, and I wouldn't suggest messing around with trying to crush them.

too late, I took a capsule apart last night and poured half of it into each of two other caps. it seems to work fine

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

atomicthumbs posted:

What does building up a tolerance to Adderall feel like?

It feels like you don't know why you take these pills, everything is the same struggle it was before you started taking them.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Then you stop taking them for a few days and you're like oh wait, they were still helping me after all, I can't seem to remember poo poo or get anything done but hey that cloud looks like Pinocchio.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

So I need to get my prescription filled next week, kind of freaking out here and need some advice.

Backstory: So I was diagnosed about 3-4 months ago with inattentive ADHD. My doctor started me on 10mg Adderall IR at first, and the turnaround was unbelievable. Within a couple days it was like someone flipped a switch and suddenly I was a... functional human being? The brain fog and complete lack of energy I'd struggled with for years was gone, I could actually pay attention to things/focus on what people were saying without having to strain so hard that I ended up completely exhausted, and simple things like walking down the street to check the mail didn't seem like an insurmountable ordeal anymore. Heck, a couple of times I even made plans to meet up with people and i actually managed to leave the house and get there on time. I had less anxiety, was more social and outgoing, and just overall less of a drowsy scatterbrained blob.

My only complaint was that some of the effects wore off about halfway through the day, so the doc bumped me up to 2x10mg. After that, things were perfect. Last visit, he gave me the next two months' worth of prescriptions and scheduled me for a followup in January.

Aaaaand that's where things kind of fell apart.

That weekend when I reached the date on the first prescription, I stopped by my pharmacy. Turns out they were out of stock and weren't getting a shipment in until around wednesday, but I only had enough left to last another day or two. Started calling other places and everyone said the same thing, except with varying degrees of treating me like the sketchiest person alive - grilling me with tons of questions about my prescription, putting me on hold forever and then getting their manager on the phone, or just straight up refusing to tell me whether they had it in stock unless I showed up in person. 2-3 hours and some 25+ pharmacies later, I finally found one that had it.

But after a few days I noticed there was a huge drop-off. The constant exhaustion/fatigue came back a bit (granted, not quite as bad as before), and other than that I may as well have not been taking it at all. At first I thought I had built up a tolerance, so I took a couple days off - didn't help one bit. On top of the lack of positive effects, I got some annoying side effects - frequent headaches, irritability/anxiousness, trouble sleeping, and extremely dry skin (maybe unrelated, but it started right around the same time). I checked the label and noticed they were from a different manufacturer - Corepharma instead of Sandoz. Did some googling and saw apparently the different generics are really hit or miss with people, so I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

Which brings me to now. My second prescription is dated this Sunday, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way of handling it:
  • I really don't want to go through another ordeal like last time, and want to make sure my pharmacy will have it in stock. Is it possible to drop the prescription off early and have them order the meds (if they're out) and/or reserve them for me until the date it's good for?
  • If so, is there some limit on how early I can drop it off? (I'm in Virginia, if that matters)
  • Is there any way to make sure I get Sandoz, short of calling around and asking every pharmacy until I find one that a) has it, and b) will actually tell me they do? (with so many places refusing to say whether they even had it in stock, I imagine it'd be even harder to get details like that out of them)
  • Can( will?) a pharmacist order Sandoz if they don't have it? From what I read, it sounds like they usually just get sent whatever's cheapest at the time, but if they could special order it I wouldn't mind paying the difference or whatever
  • If they push back about that, I saw a field on the prescription that said something like "brand name medically necessary, y/n". If the doctor can request the brand name meds, can he also request a specific generic?
  • Or are all of these things a YMMV crapshoot?

Sorry for the wall of :words:, but I'm just dreading having to spend another afternoon desperately calling around town being treated like a criminal, and/or having to go another month with meds that straight up do not work for me :smith:

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I left my ritalin at home for the holidays and, of course, my doctor cannot call in a prescription to a pharmacy near my hometown. Because drug scheduling I want to shoot myself in the face.

Question, is anyone else more of an rear end in a top hat on ritalin? I don't know if I must just be kind of an rear end normally but am usually too tired/unfocused to express it unmedicated, but I find myself getting into stupid arguments when i'm on it. But the way it makes me functional and just amazing at life in all other areas makes up for it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Fluorescent posted:

Question, is anyone else more of an rear end in a top hat on ritalin? I don't know if I must just be kind of an rear end normally but am usually too tired/unfocused to express it unmedicated, but I find myself getting into stupid arguments when i'm on it. But the way it makes me functional and just amazing at life in all other areas makes up for it.

Are you using other stimulants as well, namely caffeine? Ritalin + caffeine can exacerbate stress and irritability. But even Ritalin alone can do that if you are sensitive to stimulants.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

CORN NOG posted:

Which brings me to now. My second prescription is dated this Sunday, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way of handling it:
  • I really don't want to go through another ordeal like last time, and want to make sure my pharmacy will have it in stock. Is it possible to drop the prescription off early and have them order the meds (if they're out) and/or reserve them for me until the date it's good for?
  • If so, is there some limit on how early I can drop it off? (I'm in Virginia, if that matters)
  • Is there any way to make sure I get Sandoz, short of calling around and asking every pharmacy until I find one that a) has it, and b) will actually tell me they do? (with so many places refusing to say whether they even had it in stock, I imagine it'd be even harder to get details like that out of them)
  • Can( will?) a pharmacist order Sandoz if they don't have it? From what I read, it sounds like they usually just get sent whatever's cheapest at the time, but if they could special order it I wouldn't mind paying the difference or whatever
  • If they push back about that, I saw a field on the prescription that said something like "brand name medically necessary, y/n". If the doctor can request the brand name meds, can he also request a specific generic?
  • Or are all of these things a YMMV crapshoot?

Sorry for the wall of :words:, but I'm just dreading having to spend another afternoon desperately calling around town being treated like a criminal, and/or having to go another month with meds that straight up do not work for me :smith:
Until fairly recently I was a certified pharmacy technician. The below answers are based specifically on experience as a pharmacy tech in the state of Georgia, working for Kroger pharmacies. HOWEVER I AM STILL JUST A RANDOM GUY OFF THE INTERNET AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I WAS ACTUALLY A PHARMACY TECH.

It is my understanding based on what my boss told me that the handling of schedule 2 prescriptions and the regulations regarding them vary from state to state. Record keeping for schedule 2 drugs is regulated by the DEA, but states can have their own regulations regarding dispensation, pharmacies can have their own policies, and insurance companies have their own poo poo too.

In my pharmacy,
1a) You cannot drop off a schedule 2 prescription before its fill date. We wouldn't be allowed to accept the prescription if it could not be filled that day. This includes if we don't have the medication in stock.
1b) Get familiar with your drug formulary from your insurance company. There are tons of different drugs out there. Adderall is particularly abusable, so you're going to look weird if you go in asking for adderall IR freaking out about it. For all you know concerta might work better.
3) A pharmacy manager can order whatever brand they want. Different brands may be more or less expensive. The pharmacists at my location were exceedingly helpful and would be willing to order whatever a patient wanted if they didn't think it was going to be an issue of abuse. They would get fined or worse if they dispensed drugs to someone they thought was going to abuse them. One guy always wanted the Watson brand of hydrocodone for example, and we gave it to him, because he wasn't taking amounts we thought were abusive, and the script came from a reputable doctor.
4) I've never heard of ordering a specific generic through the psych, however if your doctor orders it my pharmacist would've done their best to secure the drug.
5) YMMV. Read up on the laws within your state and find a pharmacist you like. Establish a good relationship with that pharmacist, so they trust you. Right now you're some random guy off the street and its their job to use their judgment and not give you abusable poo poo if they think you might abuse it.

My advice, and this again is just MY advice based on my experience working for really good and helpful pharmacists, is to find a pharmacist that you like, just like you find a psych that you like. Explain the situation to them, and say you're having trouble finding adderall in stock. Maybe adderall isn't a good fit for you, so when you find a pharmacist that will listen to you, see what is unlikely to be out of stock. Compare with your formulary to see that it's covered by your insurance, and talk to your doctor about it. Again, talk to your doctor. See if they will get you a script for something that doesn't have such a shock if you run out, or something that is at least easier to get so you're unlikely to run out in the first place. Do your homework, because this is important to you. If you can't get the pharmacist or the doctor to take you seriously, find new ones.

Finally, just as a personal suggestion, when you do find something that works, find some days you don't need it and don't take it for those days. Keep a backup supply of like a week of medication, just in case you can't get your script filled by the time you run out. Being tired because you didn't take your medicine isn't nearly as big a deal as being tired because you don't have the poo poo available to you.

AGAIN THIS IS ALL PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND YOU SHOULD ONLY TAKE IT AS ADVICE FROM A RANDOM STRANGER ON THE INTERNET

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm on Sandoz IR and my pro tip is go to Costco. You don't need to be a member to use their pharmacy, and you still get to walk around and eat samples while you wait for it to get filled.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

signalnoise posted:

ADVICE FROM A RANDOM STRANGER ON THE INTERNET

Thanks! My plan is to stop by costco later today and talk to the pharmacist, explain my concerns and see what they can do. I saw a lot of people online mentioning having better luck dealing with local mom & pop type places, but there really aren't any nearby. At least the Costco people seemed way more friendly and helpful than the other pharmacies I've been to (plus I can pig out on free food samples, so yay)

I thought about talking to my doctor about what other meds are available but i don't want to fix what isn't broken, and up until i got those corepharma pills everything was perfect. I don't want to jump to conclusions though, in case there's some other reason why it suddenly stopped working. But the drop off was so drastic and right after i started taking those that it'd be a heck of a coincidence.

If the huge difference is due to the manufacturer, I'm way more worried about that than it being out of stock again. I would much rather have to go off meds for a couple of days than be stuck with a month's worth of pills that barely work and just make me feel like crap.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

signalnoise posted:

In my pharmacy,
1a) You cannot drop off a schedule 2 prescription before its fill date. We wouldn't be allowed to accept the prescription if it could not be filled that day. This includes if we don't have the medication in stock.

The pharmacy I go to doesn't care if you drop the prescription off before the fill date. So that's definitely something that varies.

Fluorescent posted:

Vyvanse made me constantly grumpy. Try a different drug; another one might help just as much without affecting your mood. If not, then you can always go back.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CORN NOG posted:

If the huge difference is due to the manufacturer, I'm way more worried about that than it being out of stock again. I would much rather have to go off meds for a couple of days than be stuck with a month's worth of pills that barely work and just make me feel like crap.

There is definitley large differences between brands.

It's also worth noting that Eon = Sandoz. Also Barr = Teva. Sounds like you have just tried Sandoz and CorePharma, so Barr/Teva may work for you and is usually easier to source than Sandoz. The lactitol in Barr/Teva gives me huge digestive problems, though.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I second the recommendation to keep a week's supply, in case they need to order it or something.

Does anyone ever take generic Concerta as 2 18 mg pills, vs 1 36 mg pill?

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

Costco trip was a success! Although a bit of an emotional roller-coaster. When i asked about it, she said it was back-ordered and they had no idea when more would be coming in ( :smith: ). but then she said she'd check what they had left anyway, and it turned out they had enough ( :unsmith: ). But then she was like, "wait i'm sorry, i was looking at the 30mg. let me see if we have any 20 left" ( :smith: ) "oh hey, we do!" ( :unsmith: :toot: )

She let me drop off my prescription and said i can pick it up Monday morning. Also, she checked and it was Sandoz, so yay.

Definitely going to try and keep an emergency stash though. How common are shortages? Like, is that something i'm going to have to deal with constantly?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Fluorescent posted:

I'm definitely more antisocial because of it. At least most of the time. It can make me very talkative at times but it's an egocentric kind of sociability. I also felt like it messed with my behaviour towards my girlfriend which led to us breaking up. I've decided to stop taking it for a year while I'm studying abroad but I honestly can't wait to get back on it. The only thing is I have to be careful with how it affects me when I do decide to start taking it again.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Fluorescent posted:

My husband was a huge jerk to everyone while on Ritalin and Concerta. Tried Adderall afterwards and he's fine now.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

CORN NOG posted:

Definitely going to try and keep an emergency stash though. How common are shortages? Like, is that something i'm going to have to deal with constantly?

When I was on Dexedrine (God I miss that stuff), I always knew that they didn't have it in stock. So, I made sure to have a weeks supply, because I knew that they'd have to order it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CORN NOG posted:

How common are shortages? Like, is that something i'm going to have to deal with constantly?

My pharmacy has been out of stock when I needed a prescription filled one or two times in the past 5 or so years. YMMV.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION, SO MANY OPTIONS

usha
Feb 14, 2012
Recently I've encountered somewhat of a paradox.
In the recent months I was involved in an intensive mathematics course, which involved heavy amounts of study - both in class and at home. Surprisingly to me, I found it fairly easy to keep up with the course's demands (possibly through the built-in structure of the course), and dropped off the use of the Ritalin SR I was taking early into the course. I found it ineffective.
Now, the situation has completely flipped over. The course ended three weeks ago, and I currently am effectively in vacation. Unmedicated, its easy for me to spend an entire day doing nothing, slowly sinking into a funk. Medicated, I am driven, active, and significantly happier.
It was a bit of a shock to find how much I didn't need the medication during the course, and doubly so finding that outside of it - I was nearly dependent on it. Goes to show how helpful structure can be, I guess.

Thread, do any of you medicate on 'off periods'? Do you have other ways to force yourself being active when outside pressure is nil?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Ha. Luckily you can now switch to any other insurance plan without them denying you. I went and sorted through all the plans available until I found one that covers my meds (generic only but I don't give a gently caress.) Of course if that's your work-provided plan, it sucks that they dropped your meds.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Ugh, I got the exact same letter.

Between pharma companies, the DEA and insurance providers, it feels like there's this war against ADD'ers. Pharma companies are always on the lookout for drugs to re-patent so they can take them off generic and charge out the rear end for them again, since they're back to being a name brand.

The DEA is always limiting the pharma companies ability to produce the drugs we need, creating shortages. And they're always looking for ways to tighten up our ability to get the drugs we need.

And, well, insurance companies that either place ADD meds at the most expensive tier of their fomulary or they're not covered at all!

It sucks that drugs like Adderall can also help normal people perform better or be used as a fun, party drug. I wish our meds worked similar to a person with 20/20 vision trying on someone's prescription glasses: the glasses make your vision 10 times worse, hurt your brain and make you want pretty much want to hand them right back.

Protip: If you're in the States, try getting a Sam's Club membership. I can get a 60-day supply of the generic IR Adderall tablets for ~25 Dollars. Since they're a membership based store, I've never run in to shortage issues. Whereas when I only relied on Walgreens, CVS, etc., I was always having problems finding a store with Adderall in stock.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

usha posted:

Recently I've encountered somewhat of a paradox.
In the recent months I was involved in an intensive mathematics course, which involved heavy amounts of study - both in class and at home. Surprisingly to me, I found it fairly easy to keep up with the course's demands (possibly through the built-in structure of the course), and dropped off the use of the Ritalin SR I was taking early into the course. I found it ineffective.
Now, the situation has completely flipped over. The course ended three weeks ago, and I currently am effectively in vacation. Unmedicated, its easy for me to spend an entire day doing nothing, slowly sinking into a funk. Medicated, I am driven, active, and significantly happier.
It was a bit of a shock to find how much I didn't need the medication during the course, and doubly so finding that outside of it - I was nearly dependent on it. Goes to show how helpful structure can be, I guess.

Thread, do any of you medicate on 'off periods'? Do you have other ways to force yourself being active when outside pressure is nil?

Yes, when in a routine I find it easy to take vacations once its established. When off, I too lose the ability to switch between strategic and tactical thinking and wind up wasting my day(s) doing nothing not even playing video games.

Now I'm taking it every day because Dr. Feelgood and I are genuinely curious if it will result in permanent positive effect.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Man I really hate when I find a female weight lifter who has really good advice and is an instructor at a gym I could possibly go to after I move to the city only to find out they post stuff like "Adhd isn't real! It's just kids needing to go outside and run around for a few hours everyday! Stop drugging your children!"

That might work for you when you're a kid, but it gets incredibly hard to uphold a 2-3 hour a day physical workout when you're in your 20's and need to hold down a job. If only if it was as simple as that.

Here's the article they linked:
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/rnd-why-we-need-a-little-roughhousing/

My Masculinity!!! :supaburn:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Man I really hate when I find a female weight lifter who has really good advice and is an instructor at a gym I could possibly go to after I move to the city only to find out they post stuff like "Adhd isn't real! It's just kids needing to go outside and run around for a few hours everyday! Stop drugging your children!"

That might work for you when you're a kid, but it gets incredibly hard to uphold a 2-3 hour a day physical workout when you're in your 20's and need to hold down a job. If only if it was as simple as that.

Here's the article they linked:
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/rnd-why-we-need-a-little-roughhousing/

My Masculinity!!! :supaburn:

They're both right.

Also, ask her when she got her m.d. any time she prescribes something a doctor should be prescribing. Why does it matter what she thinks if you get the benefit you need from her? What if she were a ... liberal? Would that affect her ability to train with you? Learn how to educate and/or change the subject gracefully.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CORN NOG posted:

The last 3-4 times I've tried to fill my prescription for Vyvanse at Walgreens they've been out. Of course, the one I normally use is a high traffic store that shares a shopping center with an ADHD specializing medical clinic. The pharm techs will usually call around to the other Walgreens and check stock for you if they're out. Of course, the new Publix that's closer to my house has always had it in stock, so I just go there now. Probably because they don't have as high a prescription customer base due to being relatively new in town.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheBigBad posted:

They're both right.

Also, ask her when she got her m.d. any time she prescribes something a doctor should be prescribing. Why does it matter what she thinks if you get the benefit you need from her? What if she were a ... liberal? Would that affect her ability to train with you? Learn how to educate and/or change the subject gracefully.

It can be useful to remind yourself that everybody has problems and weaknesses, and most people have huge blind spots when the subject is somebody else's problems and weaknesses. Even though somebody is being a dick to you, it's very likely that they just don't know any better.

I have had a little luck dealing with people by using "mindfulness meditation" techniques. They can be helpful when you feel off-balance and under attack.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

signalnoise posted:

Are they covering the Name Brand stuff? Makes me wonder if they cut a deal with Shire. Deals between insurance companies and name brand drug manufacturers are not unheard of. I read a few articles about Pfizer cutting deals with insurance companies when Lipitor went generic. Generic Lipitor was still expensive, but if you got the name brand (at a higher copay) the Pfizer would rebate some of the cost back to the insurance company on the back end.

I don't take Adderall XR so I don't know what the going rate is, but name brand looks like it's around 280 bucks, while generic is running 180 (looking on GoodRX), it sounds like that's what might be happening. Shire rebates the insurance company on the back end making the name brand stuff cheaper than the generic.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Are they covering the Name Brand stuff? Makes me wonder if they cut a deal with Shire. Deals between insurance companies and name brand drug manufacturers are not unheard of. I read a few articles about Pfizer cutting deals with insurance companies when Lipitor went generic. Generic Lipitor was still expensive, but if you got the name brand (at a higher copay) the Pfizer would rebate some of the cost back to the insurance company on the back end.

I don't take Adderall XR so I don't know what the going rate is, but name brand looks like it's around 280 bucks, while generic is running 180 (looking on GoodRX), it sounds like that's what might be happening. Shire rebates the insurance company on the back end making the name brand stuff cheaper than the generic.

I wouldn't doubt it. However I'm on Focalin XR now so hopefully everything stays good

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

signalnoise posted:

I wouldn't doubt it. However I'm on Focalin XR now so hopefully everything stays good

That's what I take as well. We're good until sometime in 2016 or 2017. The patent runs out in 2015, and it usually takes a year or two at least for a generic to come out.

Laserbacon
Jan 22, 2013

ickbar posted:

Just be glad it's not a past regret, it's unimaginable mental torment.

I get many nights like that.

A vivid, very active imagination is a terrifying thing to have if you lack the control to reign it in when it turns towards dark topics -- especially when lying in bed where no real-life distractions will derail it. Those sleepless nights can feel very, very long.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I've had several neurological evaluations and neuropsychological tests done in the past year, as part of being in the mental health system and also having fibromyalgia syndrome, which gets treated both by neurologists and rheumatologists.

The thing that keeps popping up is that my concentration and attention are bad enough to be brought up as specific places where I had trouble.

I am currently trying to get seen by adult autism specialists and I know ADD is comorbid with ASD a fair amount of the time, but what I wanna know is: why has no one mentioned the possibility of ADD to me, when my attention span and concentration and distractibility have shown up clearly during two separate instances of being tested? Should I go bother my usual neuropsychiatrist (the one that treats my major depressive disorder) until he agrees to do further tests or prescribes me drugs or should I wait until the ASD specialists see me and bring it up to them? Would they even know anything about it or be more equipped to treat me than my regular neuropsych?

It's not a huge problem by any means, since I've developed strategies to keep myself working while being incredibly easily distracted but I'd like to possibly stop my brain from getting derailed by shiny things and random idiotic thoughts when I'm trying to draw or write or just read a book.

I'm very sick, have impaired mobility due to fibromyalgia-related pain and am constantly exhausted, so if I can consolidate two specialist visits into one, I would like to do that.

Also I guess I'm just posting here because recently I became aware that what I think of as just being impatient and easily distracted/bored might be ADD. I held off on posting for a while, because I was embarrassed to have several conditions that aren't very well-understood and are sometimes hard to treat and I did not want to come across like a drugseeker or a hypochondriac.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Having ADD and not being able to test properly for it is sort of a normal problem for most of us. If we're in a new environment or doing tests about a new subject we're going to be intensely interested (unless you have the comorbid depression and such). That's why when they do the testing they usually ask for stuff like your old grade school report cards, letter from teachers, talking to your parents or spouse etc. It's something that's really hard to pin down in adults but really easy to see in children, plus it's a disorder that's a lifelong thing. You can't just one day "catch" adult Adhd but doctors are pretty bad with keeping up with the medical literature for it.

It might also just be that they think you're tired or overstressed from the other conditions, so unless you're bouncing out of a chair with a criminal record of some kind you can't have it (especially girls! girls can't get adhd :downs:)

Personally I would go back to your neuropsych and tell him that while the medication and therapy you're receiving for the depression is working, it's still not working to the level you need it to be and want to try something different. Tell him you have a friend or two that has Adhd and they recommended you at least entertain the idea of it and get tested. Say that you're willing to be tested and aren't concerned if you get a diagnoses or not - the goal isn't to get adderall or ritalin, it's to treat and manage the condition. When I was undiagnosed I would get unstressed to the point where I was giving myself chronic stress ulcers. They cleared up after I finally got on Adderall because it wasn't just being distracted that was causing it, it was the feedback loops that would endlessly cycle over the same thoughts and self loathing until it got to the point it was causing physical damage. Not saying your fibro is completely psychological but the body can do some really weird things under stress and require some sort of antidepressant or medication to help sort it out.

Honestly just tell him you'd like to get tested for that (and a blood test for your thyroid if you haven't) because it bothers you and you might be able to treat the depression better from a different angle. You might get stuck on non-stimulants for a year, you might get a script for ritalin just for showing up. Either way just emphasize that it's something you'd like to be tested for because worse case you can get more specialized therapy after a diagnoses.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011

Laserbacon posted:

I get many nights like that.

A vivid, very active imagination is a terrifying thing to have if you lack the control to reign it in when it turns towards dark topics -- especially when lying in bed where no real-life distractions will derail it. Those sleepless nights can feel very, very long.

We use visualization/meditation for my ADHD daughter, otherwise sh comes downstairs for 3 hours having bad thoughts. This gives her positive safe thoughts, and she can fall asleep much more peacefully.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Just wanted to add that it's also very possible to have both hypothyroidism and ADHD (no comment on hyperthyrodism; I'm not very familiar with it). But in any case, it's important for everyone to have the thyroid hormone levels tested if they never have; it's just one or two more things to check off while doing a routine blood test. But a surprising amount of doctors never get around to it, since the symptoms of most non-severe thyroid disorders are so vague and easy to mistake for something psychological: altered mood, metabolism, appetite, concentration, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm being punted to endocrinology soon anyway, because neurologists and rheumatologists have run out of ideas of what I could have. :v: Thanks for the advice, guys!