Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hmm, there's a bug with granting counties to your heir under gavelkind if you offer him the lower titles too. He'll only actually receive the barony level titles. I assume this has something to do with preventing gaminess wrt gavelkind? You can't offer him any counties after that either, so he's stuck as a Baron until he inherits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

Just remember there's a cap now on theocracies and grand cities which is like 10% or so of your total kingdom, so don't revoke everything and get a giant tyranny opinion only to be left with counties you can't give to bishops.

On that note, I saw the new patch allowed you to give a "higher than duke" title to one theocracy, but I tried giving the kingdom of Burgundy to a duke-level theocracy and it didn't show up on the list of titles to grant, what gives :(?
Did you click the "give all lower titles" checkbox?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I am getting regularly skunked trying to revive Zoroastrianism. I think the best bet is to pick the Turkmens and invade the muslims to the south with your allies Cumania, invade Merv (taking a Zoroastrian concubine in the process), and then if the stars have aligned and you haven't been invaded by Khazaria, the Saffarids, 20 Zoroastrian uprisings and the 50 other things that can go wrong, then you have a 20% shot at invading the Saffarids depending on how their levies (they will be more than doubling you at this point if they haven't had ill luck. I'm thinking maybe liberal use of raiding is the one thing that I've been neglecting that could turn my favour). Thoughts?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

James The 1st posted:

Did you click the "give all lower titles" checkbox?

I think I did? But now I am not sure, I will try it again next time I load up my game.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

hellsjudge posted:

I think I did? But now I am not sure, I will try it again next time I load up my game.

I just tried to do this in my game as 2 well and it didn't give me the option either.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Man there are still some stupid loving bugs in this patch. I started in 867 and want to change my succession law, but I can;t because I haven't held my primary title for 10 years, which is all well and good except I've been holding my primary title since 200 years in the future. :shepface:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fuligin posted:

Really? That is... silly. If people want to roll over everything as the Golden Horde I don't see why the devs ought to stop them.

For the same reason we need constant nerfs patched in for anything - every game is an esports title. The Mongols are imba in the pvp meta and created a lot of 8-2 matchups.

Pictured: the future ruler of the Satanboner Empire. The only reason I'm looking forward to picking up SoA at some point is for all the silly extra events. Playing unmodded, with everything but SoA, just doesn't have enough fun flavor events. The only break from constant war is watching the entire clergy puke on their shoes every two years.

Speaking of events, is there any reason why starting at ~1300 I get a popup every few months asking me to torch a trade post and one every year from one trade republic wanting to hire me to fight another trade republic? I've been telling them to go away since at best it only ever got me a pittance, but if I'm blocking an event chain I'd like to know.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, I've managed to get all of De Jure Norway and Finland, and the only thing between me and forming the Empire of Scandanvia now that I've reformed the Norse and converted most of the future Empire is Sweden, who I can't seem to successfully slip a member of my dynasty into any places of inheritence, because the king has no living children, and his heir has nothing but sons (And me without any daughters to try and matrilineally marry and then start stabbing dudes).

Any good ways of getting control of Sweden that don't involve snipping small chunks off it any time I can forge a claim or intercept a rebellion. Because while I have a fairly capable king and a drat solid council (And my heir has three years to go and already has Stewardship 12, a ton of good traits, and he's being trained by a Grey Eminence), that'd take a really loving long time. I am the Fylkir if it matters, and I've got something like 81% Moral Authority.

(Incidentally, I managed to reform the Norse something like 20, 30 years after I started in the Old Gods start point. It's pretty hilarious how we're pretty much geograhically as strong as the Muslims are, and a fairly solid contender to Christianity if the hilarious British Isles clusterfuck is any indication)

Alectai fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 18, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Mailer posted:

Speaking of events, is there any reason why starting at ~1300 I get a popup every few months asking me to torch a trade post and one every year from one trade republic wanting to hire me to fight another trade republic? I've been telling them to go away since at best it only ever got me a pittance, but if I'm blocking an event chain I'd like to know.

Joining an embargo can actually net you a lot of gold if you win, the event to trash a trade post is basically flipping a coin on whether you get 100 gold though.

Speaking of embargoes, I noticed that in every recent game I have played, I haven't been asked by other republics to embargo other dudes, is that because I have made it a habit to form a vassal republic in every new game? I wish my vassals would ask me to embargo, at least...

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Alectai posted:

So, I've managed to get all of De Jure Norway and Finland, and the only thing between me and forming the Empire of Scandanvia now that I've reformed the Norse and converted most of the future Empire is Sweden, who I can't seem to successfully slip a member of my dynasty into any places of inheritence, because the king has no living children, and his heir has nothing but sons (And me without any daughters to try and matrilineally marry and then start stabbing dudes).

This is one of the reasons why I avoid reforming the faith until after I have the Empire, the Subjugation CB is the only way to effectively take over your Norse neighbours in a timely fashion. The other reason being that if you reform you take the pagan attrition in Finnish lands and are usually too far away from having sufficient military organisation to negate it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Argh so frustrated. I have been trying for 2 days to get a Zoroastrian start going, and got skunked AGAIN by a claimant after trying out slowly as Karen rather than doing the Tengri invasion method. Was literally one province away from forming Persia (kingdom) which would have allowed me to absorb the Zoroastrian minors and become unassailable. :negative:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I love this game's events
What the fuuuuck :catstare:
Can this happen to one of those fancy eunuchs you sometimes get my event? Having one of those being able to reproduce would be amazing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

What the fuuuuck :catstare:
Can this happen to one of those fancy eunuchs you sometimes get my event? Having one of those being able to reproduce would be amazing.

It's a part of the Demon Child event chain.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I am getting regularly skunked trying to revive Zoroastrianism. I think the best bet is to pick the Turkmens and invade the muslims to the south with your allies Cumania, invade Merv (taking a Zoroastrian concubine in the process), and then if the stars have aligned and you haven't been invaded by Khazaria, the Saffarids, 20 Zoroastrian uprisings and the 50 other things that can go wrong, then you have a 20% shot at invading the Saffarids depending on how their levies (they will be more than doubling you at this point if they haven't had ill luck. I'm thinking maybe liberal use of raiding is the one thing that I've been neglecting that could turn my favour). Thoughts?

Since you're taking a Zoroastrian concubine I'm guessing you're not starting as a Zoroastrian ruler? If so just pick the Mongols.

When in doubt, pick the Mongols.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Oh cool, CK2+ for 2.0.2 has been released, might as well check the changelog-

CK2+ posted:

Minor Additions:
- Added Hellenic Holy Orders

why

but also hooray!

CK2+ posted:

- Changed the base mod to use all English title names

DrPop fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 18, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm still waiting for a Pope Insanity event chain.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Man there are still some stupid loving bugs in this patch. I started in 867 and want to change my succession law, but I can;t because I haven't held my primary title for 10 years, which is all well and good except I've been holding my primary title since 200 years in the future. :shepface:

Yeah there are tons of bugs popping up on the official forums. Looks like I'll be waiting for ANOTHER bug fix patch, hopefully they'll actually just fix bugs this time instead of just mucking around with stuff and breaking new things.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 18, 2013

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It's a part of the Demon Child event chain.

So you can have a male Demon Child?

I had that event proc for me, but on a girl while I was playing a Republic... which just meant she killed all her siblings and screwed over my planned inheritance, before being functionally useless after coming of age. I married her off to some bum in Scotland and she's apparently a happy mother of 3 that I haven't heard from since...

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Edison was a dick posted:

This is one of the reasons why I avoid reforming the faith until after I have the Empire, the Subjugation CB is the only way to effectively take over your Norse neighbours in a timely fashion. The other reason being that if you reform you take the pagan attrition in Finnish lands and are usually too far away from having sufficient military organisation to negate it.

Actually, I've got all of Finland already, so that's not a huge deal.

But yeah, guess it's the Hard Way then :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Skyl3lazer posted:

Huzzah, the Game of Thrones mod finally added Essos today as well as a ton of new poo poo

http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic4502.html

I've been trying like loving crazy to get this to work, and I'm really disappointed. Every time I launch the game, I get as far as "Painting" in the loading screen before I get either 1.) an errorless CTD or 2.) some runtime error in ck2.exe that doesn't give me any real diagnosis text. Every single time, with one frustrating exception, when it let me get about a month into a game as Doran Martell before a crash to desktop.

The more frustrating thing is that this is apparently happening to others, though the official Citadel forum has such a small community that it's really had to gauge how massive the issue is. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem - a complete reinstall of CK2 and the mod, deleting and redrawing the map cache, nothing works.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Drone posted:

I've been trying like loving crazy to get this to work, and I'm really disappointed. Every time I launch the game, I get as far as "Painting" in the loading screen before I get either 1.) an errorless CTD or 2.) some runtime error in ck2.exe that doesn't give me any real diagnosis text. Every single time, with one frustrating exception, when it let me get about a month into a game as Doran Martell before a crash to desktop.

The more frustrating thing is that this is apparently happening to others, though the official Citadel forum has such a small community that it's really had to gauge how massive the issue is. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem - a complete reinstall of CK2 and the mod, deleting and redrawing the map cache, nothing works.

I'm getting this same issue, except mine crashes at "Loading Rivers" after graphics. I found that unchecking ALL DLCs fixes it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DrSunshine posted:

I'm getting this same issue, except mine crashes at "Loading Rivers" after graphics. I found that unchecking ALL DLCs fixes it.

But doesn't that remove factions, which are pretty critical to the GoT experience?

Edit: more reading on the GoT mod forums leads me to believe it's hosed fifteen different ways to Tuesday, with some solutions working temporarily and others not working at all. For some people, deactivating all DLC will work, then results in a CTD six months in, and for others it doesn't work at all. Apparently the mod was released with basically no playtesting.

Oh well, I've waited this long, I'll wait a few weeks/month longer for the inevitable fix.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 18, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drone posted:

But doesn't that remove factions, which are pretty critical to the GoT experience?

Edit: more reading on the GoT mod forums leads me to believe it's hosed fifteen different ways to Tuesday, with some solutions working temporarily and others not working at all. For some people, deactivating all DLC will work, then results in a CTD six months in, and for others it doesn't work at all. Apparently the mod was released with basically no playtesting.

Oh well, I've waited this long, I'll wait a few weeks/month longer for the inevitable fix.

Factions are an addition to the base game and don't need any DLC. Since I have not played the GoT mod for a very long time I don't know if some factions in the mod don't need some part of a DLC to function properly, but the base game should normally be enough.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DrPop posted:

Oh cool, CK2+ for 2.0.2 has been released, might as well check the changelog-

why

but also hooray!

What's wrong with Hellenic holy orders? I guess this is my natural thing, I love crazy old religions that tear down the old ones. (The best thing would literally be if I could be an Old Egyptian, reforge the crown of the upper and lower Nile and go all Set on everyone.)

also what is the female module of CK2+? I assume it's just letting females rule/be chancellors/landed/etc.?

Also on the topic of events, is CK2+ as dense with events as like the Prince and the Thane? I've been watching arumba do that playthrough and that mod looks so amazing. (Albeit super female hating.)

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Haha wow taking money from the bank of Rome is amazing, I have a pope I helped elect and ended up going from 200 gold to over 5000 before he told me to gently caress off.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Eimi posted:

What's wrong with Hellenic holy orders? I guess this is my natural thing, I love crazy old religions that tear down the old ones. (The best thing would literally be if I could be an Old Egyptian, reforge the crown of the upper and lower Nile and go all Set on everyone.)

I'm all for alternate history and poo poo, I guess I just have a plausibility threshold--and would just hope that the CK2+ team would be focused on more important poo poo than holy orders for a one-off religion that only has a chance at seeing the light of day in-game through the efforts of the most dedicated spergs.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DrPop posted:

I'm all for alternate history and poo poo, I guess I just have a plausibility threshold--and would just hope that the CK2+ team would be focused on more important poo poo than holy orders for a one-off religion that only has a chance at seeing the light of day in-game through the efforts of the most dedicated spergs.

Every other religion (including Romuvans, Slavic pagans, and Zoroastrians) aside from Generic Pagans got at least one holy order that can be created or exists from game start in the SoA update, so I'm not too upset that the CK2+ group modded in one for the Hellenic religion.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 18, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I tried to play the Sengoku mod that someone linked a page or two ago.

Hm.

Might be because I installed it in the game-directory mod folder, rather than the 'my documents' mod folder? I'll try again tonight, maybe.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, don't install any mod in the game-directory mod folder. It used to be that way, but it's not now. Dunno why.

Put it into the my document's/paradox/ck2/mod folder.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eimi posted:

Guess what: you can, since CK2+' Hellenic religion comes from the Ancient Religions mod, which also includes ancient Celtic and Egyptian religions.

In my experience, CK2+ isn't really dense with flavour events compared to something like Prince and the Thane or VIET - it's more of a mechanics and systems mod (though it implements many of those systems through events).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PleasingFungus posted:

Might be because I installed it in the game-directory mod folder, rather than the 'my documents' mod folder? I'll try again tonight, maybe.

There's even a text file in the game directory mod folder saying "DON'T PUT MODS HERE."

I forget which version they phased that folder out in (Legacy of Rome, maybe?), but it's way more convenient to have everything in My Documents.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Guess what: you can, since CK2+' Hellenic religion comes from the Ancient Religions mod, which also includes ancient Celtic and Egyptian religions.

In my experience, CK2+ isn't really dense with flavour events compared to something like Prince and the Thane or VIET - it's more of a mechanics and systems mod (though it implements many of those systems through events).

Really? Is there anything special I'd have to do to get to play as that faith? Or is it just available from the start? I mean like in vanilla CK2 I can set my religion to Hellenic but it does nothing, is it like that, or is there a way to at least get a chaplain as that faith to start converting?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eimi posted:

Really? Is there anything special I'd have to do to get to play as that faith? Or is it just available from the start? I mean like in vanilla CK2 I can set my religion to Hellenic but it does nothing, is it like that, or is there a way to at least get a chaplain as that faith to start converting?

I know that Ancient Religions included events to start the process of re-embracing your culture's old religion (for Celts a mysterious druid/"court wizard" can show up) but they're different for each religion and I'm not sure how the Egyptian religion gets kickstarted.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I know that Ancient Religions included events to start the process of re-embracing your culture's old religion (for Celts a mysterious druid/"court wizard" can show up) but they're different for each religion and I'm not sure how the Egyptian religion gets kickstarted.

Ah, well since I have no compunctions about cheating, time to dig through the files. Thanks for that!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

I mean, if that's all you can give, that's okay.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Bah, my Norseman run died because of a massive faction death-spiral. I go to capture the last Finnish duchy, and one guy declares Independence at 70% and gets an extra 1.5K heavy infantry from "Masses of Rebels!". Winds up loving up my force after I finish mopping up that duchy, and then three other guys prop up Pretenders shortly afterwards from Factions they formed right as the clusterfuck started. Wind up losing all of my titles between them all, and none of my allies would help me :(

It's especially weird because I was on good relations with most of my vassals, but apparently them liking my rule won't stop them from stabbing me in the back as soon as I show weakness.

Seriously though, I thought they fixed event troop spawns? One lovely Finland county with one castle and no other holdings, with minimal tech shouldn't be able to poo poo out 3K with about 2K of that being all Heavy Infantry.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 18, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alectai posted:

It's especially weird because I was on good relations with most of my vassals, but apparently them liking my rule won't stop them from stabbing me in the back as soon as I show weakness.

There's a Machiavelli quote that comes to mind.

Dickish vassals make me wanna pull the North Korea maneuver. And then they act surprised and offended when I'm always trying to undermine their power and keep them destitute or in irons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alectai posted:

Bah, my Norseman run died because of a massive faction death-spiral. I go to capture the last Finnish duchy, and one guy declares Independence at 70% and gets an extra 1.5K heavy infantry from "Masses of Rebels!". Winds up loving up my force after I finish mopping up that duchy, and then three other guys prop up Pretenders shortly afterwards from Factions they formed right as the clusterfuck started. Wind up losing all of my titles between them all, and none of my allies would help me :(

Seriously though, I thought they fixed event troop spawns? One lovely Finland county with one castle and no other holdings, with minimal tech shouldn't be able to poo poo out 3K with about 2K of that being all Heavy Infantry.

The event's more likely to fire if the rebels have a lot less troops than you, and the number of troops spawned is based on YOUR total available realm levies - something like 75%, I think? Someone posted all the math and details a few pages back.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

hellsjudge posted:

I mean, if that's all you can give, that's okay.

Yeah, being bffs with the pope has some cool benefits, sexy nuns aside. Were nunneries around in the medieval ages? What would women do, I don't think they could have been nearly as active with the community as they can be now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

grancheater posted:

Since you're taking a Zoroastrian concubine I'm guessing you're not starting as a Zoroastrian ruler? If so just pick the Mongols.

When in doubt, pick the Mongols.

I did try starting as the Turkmens, but you are extremely vulnerable to rebel uprisings. I've found that the buff to Karen's event troops makes up for the lack of invasion cB so you can slowly chip away at the muslims and end wars quickly without having to siege down the top holding in every province.

I've done the Zoroastrian start before ironman and chieves came out, but the little changes (and not being able to reload) have made it a hell of a lot harder. The saffarids for instance could be immediately neutered with a rapid war dec after holy warring khiva, but now, the unique ruler's starting martial ensures that he has a poo poo ton of troops.

• Locked thread