Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

zolthorg posted:

I should ask my blatantly obvious question, I have only been playing super casually as I'm letting a friend's progress dictate when I progress in Starbound, so I'm currently locked to the Alpha and Beta sectors as he doesn't want to be spoiled on how to unlock the next sector. :rolleyes:

Are non Avian and Apex settlements more common in Gamma / Delta and X ? I've literally only seen those two races and one extremely rare Glitch settlement or two which will be one guy in a cart or a 1 room castle.

Settlements are randomly distributed. You've just been unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

zolthorg posted:

I should ask my blatantly obvious question, I have only been playing super casually as I'm letting a friend's progress dictate when I progress in Starbound, so I'm currently locked to the Alpha and Beta sectors as he doesn't want to be spoiled on how to unlock the next sector. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure how to progress being unclear is just an artifact of the game being in beta. :confused:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure how to progress being unclear is just an artifact of the game being in beta. :confused:

But the game gives you a lot of hint recipes. I had an inkling that the next thing to do was to craft said robot before I'd looked it up online. Also given how it mirrors the Tier one order of Craft everything you can. Despite there being no explicit quest that gives you a reasoning to make a pet robot. Also the next Crafting Bench requires a Microprocessor Chip that is one of the only Robot parts you can't craft.

I still think it's adorable how much fun my friend has just exploring the limited biomes he has access to in tier 2 :3:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

zolthorg posted:

Are non Avian and Apex settlements more common in Gamma / Delta and X ? I've literally only seen those two races and one extremely rare Glitch settlement or two which will be one guy in a cart or a 1 room castle.

If you don't mind a bit of a spoiler Hylotl settlemnts are not currently in, and really human ones are only 'sort of' as a dungeon; Glitch have a couple settlement types, and so do Florans.

Also the longer you guys tool around the more unlikely he is to figure it out, my friend and i figured it out pretty fast by just keeping track of what changed at our crafting stations whenever we moved up a tier but that will probably just get harder to keep track of the more 'normal' it becomes.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For some reason the invisible lights used by the default ships to illuminate various sections are not invisible on my ship. :confused:

Though just to try something different I made most of the shipblocks the same fore and background blocked but not solid block type as the cockpit. Seems to work better.

Still not sure how to go about making the outside look better.

Try and imagine it as a physical thing, where various bits would need to be plugged in or bolted on for it to actually hang together like a single object. Shade around that. If there would need to be a seam, draw a seam. If it's grown rather than constructed shade softly around it. Bits that are further back or recessed should be darker. Etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For some reason the invisible lights used by the default ships to illuminate various sections are not invisible on my ship. :confused:

Though just to try something different I made most of the shipblocks the same fore and background blocked but not solid block type as the cockpit. Seems to work better.

Still not sure how to go about making the outside look better.

There's a whole thread for pixel art problems!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480211

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, I was hoping after taking a week off to let some features get added someone would have figured out why the steam overlay isn't working for some people, myself included. Sadly it looks like nobody who has the same problem on the official forum has got it working yet either. All I want to do is take screenshots without needing an external program... :sigh:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Overlord K posted:

Man, I was hoping after taking a week off to let some features get added someone would have figured out why the steam overlay isn't working for some people, myself included. Sadly it looks like nobody who has the same problem on the official forum has got it working yet either. All I want to do is take screenshots without needing an external program... :sigh:

I take screenshots all the time using steam? F5 bam screenshot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A floran prison on a magma planet is pretty hardcore. Seems ridiculous at first, but actually makes a lot of sense-where would the prisoners have to go if they escaped?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

IronicDongz posted:

A floran prison on a magma planet is pretty hardcore. Seems ridiculous at first, but actually makes a lot of sense-where would the prisoners have to go if they escaped?

And if they escape you find them and they're cooked. Double bonus.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There is no instrument on which the Mortal Kombat theme doesn't sound great. It's my litmus test for all new ones I find.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So I just found this sweet legendary 2-handed sword. It shoots out three clouds each time it swings which each do I think around half its base damage, but it doesn't have any sort of symbol for that effect like fire/poison/whatever do. Is this something that's in progress, or are there just supposed to be really special items with undisplayed effects?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

So I just found this sweet legendary 2-handed sword. It shoots out three clouds each time it swings which each do I think around half its base damage, but it doesn't have any sort of symbol for that effect like fire/poison/whatever do. Is this something that's in progress, or are there just supposed to be really special items with undisplayed effects?

All legendaries in the unmodified game are special like that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dog kisser posted:

So, uh, planning to make a complete tutorial on how to get this all working in game for a theoretical someone making a race?

If, by the time I finish up my custom race to the point where I'm satisfied with it, no one has made a proper race tutorial, I would be happy to do so. Until then, feel free to ask my any questions and I'll answer it if I can!

Smoremaster posted:

To all you modders,

I started working on a custom race, and based it on humans as a template. I got it showing up in the character creation screen, and I can successfully make a character of my new race (which at the moment is mostly just human except for a few variations), but I can't get the skin color to work properly. Whenever I try to modify the colors of the skin tones it defaults to the generic skin tone. I even tried copying over color values from hylotl and avian to see if that would give me interesting colors, but it still only shows one skin tone, the default. I'm editing the "bodyColor" field in the .species file for my race. Is there something else I need to change, or am I doing something wrong?

I was scrolling quickly but I didn't see an answer to this, and it's something I spent several hours loving around with yesterday. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but my internet cut out and I didn't see this.

This is what you're editing, right?

Okay, as you can see, mine has a few extras compared to the other races. Behind the comment section up top is "shell", that's just so I can remember what that area of the body is called. You'll also see:

primary : light : medium : dark

Those are your important columns. These determine what colors get replaced with what other colors. By default, if you copy the skin tones from the humans, you should be set as far as body color goes, but I'll go into a little more detail here in case you want to mess around with it further or your problem doesn't go away.

Basically, in each column, you have a Hex value before the comma, and one after. You'll notice the value after the comma is the same in every row, that's because that is the color you'll be overwriting. So you'll want to do a little something like this:

For each color, find the hex value you want to overwrite and replace whatever in that row (after the comma) with it, and do that for every row. The first part of the comma is the new color, so for my third row "light blue", I would be using this:

Go through and do all that for every color. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and it takes forever, but whatever. You can usually just copy values from one of the other races.

If that doesn't solve your problem, if you want, you can send me the file and I'll mess around with it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Can we just get this put into the OP?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Can we just get this put into the OP?

Yeah, times I've been rewarded with something I really wanted: maybe 1?
Times I've been instagibbed from full health: a billion

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It seems to be about 50-50 whether I get exploded or get an essentially pointless boon for a few seconds. So, yeah, I don't bother triggering them anymore.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I never die to those things ever. Just activate them from the max possible range and then immediately jump away from them as quickly as possible. If they produce blue or yellow smoke, jump into it for high jumping or glowing. Otherwise, just don't go near the thingy until it disappears. Green smoke is poison, explosions are bad, I think I've seen other weird poo poo but whatever it doesn't matter. Touch from far away, run away, blue or yellow smoke good, everything else bad. You are now immune to being killed by giant spinning rectangles.

(They're totally useless but glowing and high jump are kinda fun so I always touch them anyway)

edit: Getting instagibbed by the explosion should make matter blocks. THEN people would be excited to find those things.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 18, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Do they ever respawn?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I couldn't help but to think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJ9KnLwHfw

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

On the topic of npc dialogue, I love that it's player specific. I was playing as an avian, my friend a human and we found a little avian hut. The NPC asked him to run away together, and got grossed out that I was looking at them.

Truly this is excellent AI when it can distinguish between goon and non-goon.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
They are called statuspods (assets/objects/generic/statuspod/statuspod.object)

code:
  "projectileOptions" : [
    {
      "projectileType" : "healingstatusprojectile",
      "projectileParams" : { }
    },
    {
      "projectileType" : "burningstatusprojectile",
    },
    {
      "projectileType" : "poisonstatusprojectile",
    },
    {
      "projectileType" : "runstatusprojectile",
    },
    {
      "projectileType" : "jumpstatusprojectile",
    },
    {
      "projectileType" : "glowstatusprojectile",
    }
  ]
Interesting enough, it has no set percentage spread. It's equally random. Theoretically, you could add your own effects to this thing and remove the negative ones, if wanted.

They do NOT respawn. And there's no where in the code that dictates that.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Man I love this game, but it stutters and on traveling to a new world, I often have to wait for big chunks of it to load; Would an SSD help with this at all, or is that just a symptom of how early-beta the game still is? Also is there any way to screenshot large areas other than zooming out and taking a steam screenshot (I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one), cuz I'm building an enormous ship that I wanna screencap, but manually editing together a bunch of screenshots is like :effort:

I have 25 hours played in three days, when this game fully releases my life will be over :negative:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Babe Magnet posted:

If, by the time I finish up my custom race to the point where I'm satisfied with it, no one has made a proper race tutorial, I would be happy to do so. Until then, feel free to ask my any questions and I'll answer it if I can!

I was scrolling quickly but I didn't see an answer to this, and it's something I spent several hours loving around with yesterday. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but my internet cut out and I didn't see this.

This is what you're editing, right?

Okay, as you can see, mine has a few extras compared to the other races. Behind the comment section up top is "shell", that's just so I can remember what that area of the body is called. You'll also see:

primary : light : medium : dark

Those are your important columns. These determine what colors get replaced with what other colors. By default, if you copy the skin tones from the humans, you should be set as far as body color goes, but I'll go into a little more detail here in case you want to mess around with it further or your problem doesn't go away.

Basically, in each column, you have a Hex value before the comma, and one after. You'll notice the value after the comma is the same in every row, that's because that is the color you'll be overwriting. So you'll want to do a little something like this:

For each color, find the hex value you want to overwrite and replace whatever in that row (after the comma) with it, and do that for every row. The first part of the comma is the new color, so for my third row "light blue", I would be using this:

Go through and do all that for every color. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and it takes forever, but whatever. You can usually just copy values from one of the other races.

If that doesn't solve your problem, if you want, you can send me the file and I'll mess around with it.

Thanks a lot, man! This makes perfect sense. I'll see if I can get it working now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No problem. There no real documentation on it, and at the time I couldn't find anything through google, so if I find anything else out, I'll add to it.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The dragon is loving hardcore. After almost getting killed I whipped out my flamethrower and nuked it. I won but it felt super cheesy.

A hollow victory, devoid of value or meaning.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I never die to those things ever. Just activate them from the max possible range and then immediately jump away from them as quickly as possible. If they produce blue or yellow smoke, jump into it for high jumping or glowing. Otherwise, just don't go near the thingy until it disappears. Green smoke is poison, explosions are bad, I think I've seen other weird poo poo but whatever it doesn't matter. Touch from far away, run away, blue or yellow smoke good, everything else bad. You are now immune to being killed by giant spinning rectangles.

(They're totally useless but glowing and high jump are kinda fun so I always touch them anyway)

edit: Getting instagibbed by the explosion should make matter blocks. THEN people would be excited to find those things.

This is great in theory but I'm fairly certain the speed boost is also green which is the only boost worth getting.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

The dragon is loving hardcore. After almost getting killed I whipped out my flamethrower and nuked it. I won but it felt super cheesy.

A hollow victory, devoid of value or meaning.

Seriously, I'm trying to find a decent gun before I take on that son of a bitch again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I beat the dragon with only a 24 dps shotgun. :shepface:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The dragon is a total pushover once you realize that he can't shoot his fireballs straight down. :ssh:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The dragon is a total pushover once you realize that he can't shoot his fireballs straight down. :ssh:

They have splash damage and a lingering AOE though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So? He absolutely can not hit you as long as you stay directly beneath him and the time between his attacks is long enough for the first fire to go out. Besides, you can just jump over the flames.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And this is why you fight him on wood platforms. :ssh:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

As much as I want to try playing again, I'm just going to wait till the game is at least feature-complete. The kind of things they've mentioned they want to put in makes me excited all over again and I can't wait to see the final game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Arkitektbmw posted:

This is great in theory but I'm fairly certain the speed boost is also green which is the only boost worth getting.

You can just touch the edge of the green cloud if you're that concerned about it. Poison stacks; you can test this by finding poisonous water and briefly touching it, waiting for the poison to run out, then standing in the water for a longer period. Momentary contact with poison will make you lose 3 health per tick, while standing in poisonous water will make you lose 3, then 6, then 9, and so on until you're taking crazy amounts of damage for the next ten to fifteen seconds. Just touching a single cloud from the status capsule will only inflict a minor amount of poison if it isn't the buff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Rho just linked this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqs4bZVXH8

Also I just got my first review on a mod and it was so nice! :3: I've got warm fuzzies.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoehead posted:

Rho just linked this

Also I just got my first review on a mod and it was so nice! :3: I've got warm fuzzies.

Me too. :3: First official one, anyways, all my friends online loving love it and swear by the upgraded bandages now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Rho just linked this

I don't know if I love or hate this.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uhhh the dragon can totally fire his breath straight down, he literally just did that to me. So gently caress that guy until I either install the flamethrower mod or find some better weapons. The titanium tier stuff is not putting a dent in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dreadwroth posted:

Uhhh the dragon can totally fire his breath straight down, he literally just did that to me. So gently caress that guy until I either install the flamethrower mod or find some better weapons. The titanium tier stuff is not putting a dent in him.

Again, fight him on elevated wooden platforms. His fire goes right through them.

• Locked thread