Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Also I just got my first review on a mod and it was so nice! :3: I've got warm fuzzies.

That lasts until the next patch when you're going to get a flood of complaining that it set someone's house on fire and stabbed their kitten in the throat.

And then you're like, "gently caress, maintaining stuff sucks rear end."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I am truly Deathpecker I think that it's time to put this game down until the rest of the tiers are ready. Sadly I never found a cape to go with this deadly armor.

Are mannequins in the game yet? Those or being able to give your npcs armor will be necessary when the game is done and I can build my fortress containing one of every racial armor. If you can give mannequins or npcs weapons, then... It will never be over.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

xzzy posted:

That lasts until the next patch when you're going to get a flood of complaining that it set someone's house on fire and stabbed their kitten in the throat.

Maybe, they are only vanity items so if it does happen we'll all be in trouble I think.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So I bought a 4-pack for me and a few friends. Two of those people no longer want it so I have them up for grabs. $11.25 if anyone wants to save a few bucks and help someone out at the same time :) Hopefully this okay to post.

PM or Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/poxin

Edit: all gone!! thanks

poxin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 18, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Should I post my bug dudes on the forums?

It's got nothing to it right now, but poo poo, neither do half of the other race mods.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Babe Magnet posted:

Should I post my bug dudes on the forums?

It's got nothing to it right now, but poo poo, neither do half of the other race mods.

Can't be worse than the Homestuck or MLP races.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
My quest to populate the universe with research stations continues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7Gfn0_x0M

I will conquer the stars for science! :science:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For some reason the invisible lights used by the default ships to illuminate various sections are not invisible on my ship. :confused:

Though just to try something different I made most of the shipblocks the same fore and background blocked but not solid block type as the cockpit. Seems to work better.

Still not sure how to go about making the outside look better.

From a design perspective, you have a lot of clashing ideas going on. Some of the ship is rounded and beveled and has that 'alien space whale' thing going on. But, you also have these completely flat hard angles on the front and back which look very boxy. You should pick a theme and stick with it throughout your design.

The top/back looks like some kind of space nautilus -- which could be cool.
The top/front looks like a space corvette or jetliner -- which could be cool.
The bottom looks like a very simplistic flying cargo container -- which could be cool.

Everything together looks like a mess though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, I'm basing it on a previously existing thing.

I'm probably just messing up the shading. :v:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The wings are part of the clash, on your source photo they have some slope on them and on your ship they are rectangles.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If I were you, I would experiment with moving the wings further back or removing them entirely. They're outboard wings, and having them appear behind rooms that would be in the main hull just makes everything look a little off. Also, maybe add a little slope to them, maybe round out some corners and add a little shading around the leading edges to give them a little depth.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

What's the IRC channel guys? #starbound on Synirc won't let me in (getting +K error?)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ColHannibal posted:

The wings are part of the clash, on your source photo they have some slope on them and on your ship they are rectangles.

Katsuma posted:

If I were you, I would experiment with moving the wings further back or removing them entirely. They're outboard wings, and having them appear behind rooms that would be in the main hull just makes everything look a little off. Also, maybe add a little slope to them, maybe round out some corners and add a little shading around the leading edges to give them a little depth.

Yeah, I haven't really touched the wings yet or the very front of the nose.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I'm not an artist, but I think it mostly looks off because it's much bulkier than your source:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

AceClown posted:

What's the IRC channel guys? #starbound on Synirc won't let me in (getting +K error?)
There's a thread for that you know.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

peepsalot posted:

There's a thread for that you know.

Found it, thanks!

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
I can't bring myself to go through building the robot a third time only to know my current character will be wiped. They said there's only going to be one more wipe right? Did they give an estimated date?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Redkist posted:

I can't bring myself to go through building the robot a third time only to know my current character will be wiped. They said there's only going to be one more wipe right? Did they give an estimated date?

They said there's going to be at least one more wipe, and no, we don't have an estimated date.

It's not like they do it for fun or to be assholes or anything, sometimes changes to the game structure just necessitate it.

If you're not okay with losing things, you really should be waiting to play until phase 2 of the beta.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

poxin posted:

So I bought a 4-pack for me and a few friends. Two of those people no longer want it so I have them up for grabs. $11.25 if anyone wants to save a few bucks and help someone out at the same time :) Hopefully this okay to post.

PM or Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/poxin

Taken one of these through Paypal, thanks poxin

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
New mod!

I've been making some in-game tools to help with the biome mod I'm working on, and figured some others might find use.

It's a set of four guns that let you dispense water & other liquids - acid, lava, and a new liquid, medigel. Medigel is a breathable liquid meant for long-term immersion, and to that end it'll temporarily quell your hunger while it slowly heals your wounds. It also won't extinguish torches, making it useful both for mining and building.

Anyone willing to help me out by downloading it to make sure it works? Download here You'll need Tabula Rasa, too: Tabula Rasa Mod

Really, medigel is just a proof-of-concept for adding new liquids to the game, which you may want if you're working on new biomes or dungeons.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I never die to those things ever. Just activate them from the max possible range and then immediately jump away from them as quickly as possible. If they produce blue or yellow smoke, jump into it for high jumping or glowing. Otherwise, just don't go near the thingy until it disappears. Green smoke is poison, explosions are bad, I think I've seen other weird poo poo but whatever it doesn't matter. Touch from far away, run away, blue or yellow smoke good, everything else bad. You are now immune to being killed by giant spinning rectangles.

(They're totally useless but glowing and high jump are kinda fun so I always touch them anyway)

edit: Getting instagibbed by the explosion should make matter blocks. THEN people would be excited to find those things.

Goddamn that's the best suggestion for those I've heard so far. :haw:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 18, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also, be aware that while there may only be a few more forced wipes, every once in a while they'll suggest you make a new character anyway or you won't have access to some new features.

I haven't even played in like a week, since there's nothing to do for half the tiers and the primary thing I like doing (building bases) isn't going to matter until the next update when you can just teleport right to it.

He Who Wears Pants
Mar 18, 2007

Who's the 'King of Pop' now, bitch?
I finally broke down and paid in my 15 bucks and I'm totally sold, it's a terrific game. It oozes charm, it plays pretty great, and I love the music, but I am also definitely feeling its beta-ness. I'm getting a little antsy waiting for stuff to be hammered out and exciting features to be implemented (like being able to choose where to teleport to.) That and I don't want to get too attached to a character if it won't be able to use said exciting new features, so I'm giving Starbound a little break until it's a little more feature-complete (or until the next big update at least), and taking the opportunity to finally dig into Terraria, as the 1.2 update is super-keen. Chucklefish already has my money, though, so I'll be back.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For some reason the invisible lights used by the default ships to illuminate various sections are not invisible on my ship. :confused:

Though just to try something different I made most of the shipblocks the same fore and background blocked but not solid block type as the cockpit. Seems to work better.

Still not sure how to go about making the outside look better.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just want to throw in and say that I love the look of the original picture you posted (is it from something, or just a sketch?) and have enjoyed watching this get churned out. If I had the pixel-art chops (and the time) I'd love to do something similar.

That said, from what I can tell by the shading on the original, it looks like the front-bottom is supposed to be rounded off, rather than squared as you have it. I think rounding that corner would make it look a bit more sleek. And yeah, I think a strip of shading or something along the entire bottom of the "cargo section(?)" would help give it the appropriate rounded look.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know they're waiting until it's more substantial in terms of content to release the next patch, but honestly I wish they'd just pushed out a quick update the second they had that "warp to home planet" feature in. If you guys are working on Tier 5, that's cool, and I really look forward to that. But just give me my teleport, it looks really really useful, plus I am an impatient child and I WANT IT, LET ME HAVE IT.

xzzy posted:

One refreshing thing about Starbound VS say, Minecraft is that most mods will actually remain functional between updates. While they will occasionally get disrupted by core changes (like the series of patches we're in now, where Bartwe's changing the actual modding system itself), for the most part the references and in-game hooks utilized by mods won't change, and don't need an infrastructure to support them like Minecraft's Forge. So once the mod format stabilizes, presumably after this upcoming merge-based update, most mods will keep working and need no real maintenance. Which is a really awesome feeling.

I also wanted to point out that XBOXPants' mod really gives me a lot of hope. Adding something even as involved as a new liquid seems so much more easy and accessible. In Minecraft even with mod frameworks it was so much work I never managed to get it functioning, but here the beta's been out what, two weeks, and people are already tossing in breathable healing liquids that don't extinguish fires.
I can only begin to imagine all the amazing mods we're going to get in like a year's time. It's going to really be something.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 18, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guys, I know that with the Beta out no one goes on the forums anymore but I'm happy to report that things don't seem to have improved over there.

:frogsiren:Chucklefish is Corrupt:frogsiren:

It's got everything you'd expect! :argh: Feminism! :pedophiles: Censorship! :shrug: And: 'I don't even see what I did wrong' to top it off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really really wish there was an emoticon version of that 'my brain is full of gently caress' image of Jackie Chan with his hands on both sides of his head looking like "whaaat???" in utter exasperation but I'll just have to settle for :cripes:.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

CJacobs posted:

I really really wish there was an emoticon version of that 'my brain is full of gently caress' image of Jackie Chan with his hands on both sides of his head looking like "whaaat???"

:psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't wait for the day that developers learn that running official forums are an enormous waste of time. There's literally no way for the developer to come out of it looking like the good guy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like that he's somehow an MRA without knowing what they are. That's the worst part of it to me. (Even if it's probably a lie.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That works too! The idiocy of some people :psyboom:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, official forums are pretty much 'oh god our fans are idiots'

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

xzzy posted:

I can't wait for the day that developers learn that running official forums are an enormous waste of time. There's literally no way for the developer to come out of it looking like the good guy.

Honestly, poo poo like this is why I like Chucklefish so much. This just reaffirms that the staff are Good People.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

I also wanted to point out that XBOXPants' mod really gives me a lot of hope. Adding something even as involved as a new liquid seems so much more easy and accessible. In Minecraft even with mod frameworks it was so much work I never managed to get it functioning, but here the beta's been out what, two weeks, and people are already tossing in breathable healing liquids that don't extinguish fires.
I can only begin to imagine all the amazing mods we're going to get in like a year's time. It's going to really be something.

I do want to note that, as near as I can figure out with my limited skills, liquids seem to be extremely limited compared to other things like monsters and objects and gear. Part of it is just that we don't have the function/variable names, but a big part is they don't seem to be able to interface with Lua scripts.

But even then, you can at least make liquids that activate statuseffects, which you can then customize to a pretty decent degree, even without Lua, including the visual effects.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

RareAcumen posted:

Guys, I know that with the Beta out no one goes on the forums anymore but I'm happy to report that things don't seem to have improved over there.

:frogsiren:Chucklefish is Corrupt:frogsiren:

It's got everything you'd expect! :argh: Feminism! :pedophiles: Censorship! :shrug: And: 'I don't even see what I did wrong' to top it off.

everythingWasBees posted:

Honestly, poo poo like this is why I like Chucklefish so much. This just reaffirms that the staff are Good People.

I kind of like the chucklefish moderator's "NO" macro:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So far the mods of the Chucklefish forums have been the only good thing about them. I've had more than one 'like' from them when I post to call someone out for being ignorant.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

XboxPants posted:

New mod!

I've been making some in-game tools to help with the biome mod I'm working on, and figured some others might find use.

It's a set of four guns that let you dispense water & other liquids - acid, lava, and a new liquid, medigel. Medigel is a breathable liquid meant for long-term immersion, and to that end it'll temporarily quell your hunger while it slowly heals your wounds. It also won't extinguish torches, making it useful both for mining and building.

Anyone willing to help me out by downloading it to make sure it works? Download here You'll need Tabula Rasa, too: Tabula Rasa Mod

Really, medigel is just a proof-of-concept for adding new liquids to the game, which you may want if you're working on new biomes or dungeons.

Goddamn that's the best suggestion for those I've heard so far. :haw:

I have Tabula Rasa installed correctly, but when I try to launch Starbound with your mod, it says it's missing the dependency tabularasa.

EDIT: This is fixed by editing the dependency line in ballooncannon.modinfo to read "tabularasa1.3" instead.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 19, 2013

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boo_radley posted:

I kind of like the chucklefish moderator's "NO" macro:

That mod is your very own Braww.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

I know they're waiting until it's more substantial in terms of content to release the next patch, but honestly I wish they'd just pushed out a quick update the second they had that "warp to home planet" feature in. If you guys are working on Tier 5, that's cool, and I really look forward to that. But just give me my teleport, it looks really really useful, plus I am an impatient child and I WANT IT, LET ME HAVE IT.
I know the feeling there, and I've never gone past steel, beating the brain bot is as far as I've gotten for various reasons. But that Teleport to homeworld button will give me a big incentive to finally make that nice wood and stone homestead.

Also, do not bother chucking Diamonds into the Ore refinery. Like all the other combined ore items you can chuck into the refinery, it is worth twice as much as diamond ore according to the files (100 for the diamond ore, 200 for the Diamond)... But you need FOUR diamonds Ores to make a Diamond. At least tweaking the refinery recipe is easy enough even I can do it, but still.

Oh god, now I'm thinking about seeing if I can learn to make workbench recipes to break down all wood and stone crafted objects into their basic plank and cobblestone parts. This is crazy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 19, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If only that image could have the chucklefish.wav embedded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section Z posted:

Oh god, now I'm thinking about seeing if I can learn to make workbench recipes to break down all wood and stone crafted objects into their basic plank and cobblestone parts. This is crazy.

This would actually be pretty easy. All you have to do is make a recipe where the required item is the one to break down, and the items you receive are its various crafting materials. Here, I'll give you an example:

The furnace recipe is: Some cobblestone, a campfire, and you get a furnace.

All you have to do is reverse that: A furnace, and you get some cobblestone and a campfire, and so on.

• Locked thread