Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rhymenoserous posted:

And I guess I'm history degree number six.

Time to discuss the Divine Right of Sysadmins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TWBalls posted:

This is me. And that one cert I have is a lovely old A+ from 1998.

At least mine is an expired CCNA. :smith:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

stevewm posted:

Yeah, that would never fly in my company.. It was hard enough getting approval to replace most of these computers.
There's nothing stopping you from doing it though, MDT works perfectly fine this way. MDT and the EULA also disagree on what "media" is. I recall reading though The EULA for something Windows related and found that the EULA believes all media is physical while MDT calls any Windows files that allow you to install Windows media. If you follow the EULA to the letter you're not using physical media so it's allowed. I can't find it again but I remember it.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 18, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dick Trauma posted:

Time to discuss the Divine Right of Sysadmins.

That's creepily close to the truth. Whenever someone gets a 'new' computer, IT has already spent a night with it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Well that was pleasant...

My clients CEO went right to the owner with an intranet issue at one of the satellite locations. This is the first I've heard about this location having any kind of issue in months. Nobody has reported it to me until today when I was CC'd on the email to the owner. The owner went off on me like he did before with the other internet issue earlier and added some more fun when he started accusing me of entrapment and trying to get the Sr fired by enabling auditing. Apparently its a company policy not to security audit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

Well that was pleasant...

My clients CEO went right to the owner with an intranet issue at one of the satellite locations. This is the first I've heard about this location having any kind of issue in months. Nobody has reported it to me until today when I was CC'd on the email to the owner. The owner went off on me like he did before with the other internet issue earlier and added some more fun when he started accusing me of entrapment and trying to get the Sr fired by enabling auditing. Apparently its a company policy not to security audit.

Do you need to borrow money to put a down payment on a car or something? Why haven't you put in notice?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you need to borrow money to put a down payment on a car or something? Why haven't you put in notice?

Ive just had a quick phone interview.. don't have the job yet..

Edit: Although I will be including the definition of 'Entrapment' in my resignation letter to that owner.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Next time the Sr idgit breaks something don't fix it. Files and folders mysteriously vanish? Guess they have to be reloaded from back up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blackswordca posted:

Apparently its a company policy not to security audit.

I don't even know if :stonk: is a strong enough emoticon to respond to this statement.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't even know if :stonk: is a strong enough emoticon to respond to this statement.

Is there a :stonkicide: ?

No. No there is not. Maybe :shepicide: ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Really not convinced your company owner knows what entrapment means.

Hint: It's not discovering that someone is loving up.

With someone that stupid running things every else makes a lot more sense.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 18, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I think it's now painfully obvious that the company he works for makes its money by fraudulently creating billable tasks, and that this business model has the owner's backing. That is literally the only sane reason to chew someone out for turning auditing on - they don't want their fraud to be exposed.

blackswordca, I too am rooting for you to get the hell out of there and will join the pool of people willing to throw :20bux: into a car fund if you end up needing one for the next job.

Once you're out and have a confirmed position somewhere else, I would consider reporting the fraud to someone.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 18, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

blackswordca posted:

and added some more fun when he started accusing me of entrapment and trying to get the Sr fired by enabling auditing. Apparently its a company policy not to security audit.

what the gently caress

rolleyes posted:

I think it's now painfully obvious that the company he works for makes its money by fraudulently creating billable tasks, and that this business model has the owner's backing. That is literally the only sane reason to chew someone out for turning auditing on - they don't want their fraud to be exposed.

this is the only explanation

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

rolleyes posted:

I came to that conclusion a long time ago. The writing was on the wall. Now it's printed in neon colors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If he wants the option of a car fund then I too will throw in :20bux:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Caged posted:

I once got told to "phone Microsoft and ask them when Skype is coming out on the Xbox, we have a project that wants to use 3 of them for video calls".

Some people just have no idea that someone like Microsoft won't comment on future releases, and doesn't give a gently caress about your purchase of 3 Xboxes.
Well if this was an original XBox they had probably heard about how moddable they were. 360, they probably saw a lot of media about the apps on the box.

XBox One? http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/apps/skype-faq

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Started off with an IT degree, realized I knew more than the dude teaching the first couple of classes (I hate jumping through hoops), switched to photography, realized it's impossible to get a job not doing wedding photography, went back to IT, then dropped out all together because of more hoop jumping. One of the guys I replaced at the job I have now is a history major though.

Edit: I don't have much but I'm willing to throw :10bux: at blacksword. He really needs to be anywhere that's not his current job.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen now you need to have a VLK/MAK key, which means buying OS licenses for computers that already come with OS licenses....

I could have sworn you could get a bare-metal machine from Dell, but I can't find any way of doing that anymore.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It wouldn't matter anyway - volume licensed Windows are upgrades only, you need a qualifying OEM license on the hardware.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

stubblyhead posted:

I could have sworn you could get a bare-metal machine from Dell, but I can't find any way of doing that anymore.

You can get N series for some of the products, which ships without an OS. Though since volume licensing requires an OEM key you're screwed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Caged posted:

It wouldn't matter anyway - volume licensed Windows are upgrades only, you need a qualifying OEM license on the hardware.

I remember when I did support in college being explained this by my boss. He said he just needed any Windows license on there to be complaint. If I recall correctly he as ordering Vista Home Basic with each tower as it was the cheapest at the time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think a Campus Agreement is the only way you can get away with that - everything else needs a Pro version.

Edit: MS licensing is so so so terrible to try and work out. The fact you pretty much have to defer it to a reseller means you can never really be sure if they are trying to gently caress you over to increase the sale.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You know, I really hope blacksword tips off the client he works with about the fraud when he leaves.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Apparently I should have actually majored in Russian instead of CS.

Not really though, the Russian profs were slave drivers.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Holy poo poo, thats shady beyond belief, black. I wasn't so sure at first, the phrase "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" came to mind but... holy poo poo.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
I'm stupid, wrong thread.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

Ive just had a quick phone interview.. don't have the job yet..

Edit: Although I will be including the definition of 'Entrapment' in my resignation letter to that owner.

Send it as a response to the email he sent you, and CC every client.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Yaos posted:

This is correct. Also, there's certs for Microsoft licensing, I'm not joking, that's how complicated this poo poo is.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam.aspx?id=70-671

If you think you understand Microsoft Licensing, you don't understand Microsoft Licensing

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Because I didn't want to have a billion e-mails to read when I got back, I decided to check my e-mail.

A client replied to me... CC'ing my bosses bosses boss...

Who then saw my Out of Office and forwarded my users request to my direct managers...

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh things'll be fun when I get back.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Microsoft Licensing that can be spoken is not the true Microsoft Licensing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FISHMANPET posted:

You can get N series for some of the products, which ships without an OS. Though since volume licensing requires an OEM key you're screwed.

We ordered some Optiplex 3010s a couple months back and buying then without the license was actually more expensive than buying them with.

:iiam:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Are we at the point where maybe it just makes sense to kick start a new car for poor blackswordca?

Blackswordca I hope you are printing every email :gonk:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Caged posted:

They also changed from wanting to collect the busted parts at the same time as giving you a new one to letting you arrange the collection for the faulty part separately, so you don't need to be around when the UPS man arrives.

My predecessor RMA'd a 24 port switch from Cisco. And apparently sent it to the wrong address. I've just this week had the second email about it. Now I gotta waste some time searching his mail.

fake edit: bonus licensing story

So 3 weeks ago I buy a couple of Office licenses with some new machines. The reseller submits the addition to my Volume Licensing. I check the next day, hoping to see a slightly larger number next to my allowed activations. The first thing I notice when the list of licenses comes up is that it's whole pages longer and there are exciting new categories like "Software Assurance". I decide that when my sales rep consolidated all the email addresses associated with our IT purchasing in VL, that unlocked vast new tracts of previously unknown licenses for me to use. I click the Keys entry for a license I actually need right now and was about to pay for. Click.

The details expand. There are indeed lots of licenses listed. All of them next to the names of companies I don't recognize. I check the long list of domains we have registered. I research the names. I resort to asking one of our founders. We have no idea who these people are.

I screenshot it, shoot it off to my rep, and wait. Ha ha, my reseller was doing two Volume Licensing permissions updates at the same time and messed up a copy & paste operation. That was two weeks ago. I hope the manager I spoke to can get this sorted out this week. The next step of escalation is to call my counterpart at the company whose licenses I have access to.

fake edit 2:

quote:

One of the engineers will call you during the business hours.

Regards,
Support

There's gonna be a second batch of bottle openers someday.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Yaos posted:

Next time the Sr idgit breaks something don't fix it. Files and folders mysteriously vanish? Guess they have to be reloaded from back up.

Hah you think they have backups. :allears:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Send it as a response to the email he sent you, and CC every client.

Actually this is a horrendous idea. Apparently Canadian whistleblower laws are utter poo poo and even though you'd be right, you'd open yourself up to a libel case. IANAL and what not.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

chia posted:

Hah you think they have backups. :allears:

There are backups.. in another city.. on a shared 3mbit connection..

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

blackswordca posted:

Please add "on a raid 0 array"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

blackswordca posted:

..so you don't have backups then?

Moey posted:

I remember when I did support in college being explained this by my boss. He said he just needed any Windows license on there to be complaint. If I recall correctly he as ordering Vista Home Basic with each tower as it was the cheapest at the time.
You can only upgrade your license to the same "version" as the original, so you'd need an XP Pro to get a Win 7 Pro. However, you can upgrade from an XP Pro to a 7 Enterprise (if you have Software Assurance) or Ultimate (if you pay more).

Crowley fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 19, 2013

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Crowley posted:

..so you don't have backups then?

Hey, the backups are there. They can't be restored of course but they do exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope in future you're just going to start running restores when people's poo poo gets moved around instead of trying to locate it. I mean since the guy isn't out to sabotage anything he can't be moving it on purpose because then he'd email you when he made changes.

• Locked thread