Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Good lord.

So I guess Adam Sandler decided he wanted to go to Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

muscles like this? posted:

So I guess Adam Sandler decided he wanted to go to Africa.

quote:

After a bad blind date, a man and woman find themselves stuck together at a resort for families, where their attractions grows as their respective kids benefit from the burgeoning relationship.

Directed by the guy whose job seems to be to make Happy Madison movies (Waterboy, Wedding Singer, Click, Zookeeper, Here Comes the Boom).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Helmacron posted:

You don't get to buy someone's art because of price (Monet), supply (Mondo), sanctity (Watterson). That's all?

One of these things unlike the others. I can buy a reproduction Monet, replicated down to the brush stroke, for far cheaper than an original Monet painting costs. They're out there, they're available. Bill Watterson might not be making new Calvin & Hobbes, but the compilation books are out there, they're continued to be published.

Mondo prints are none of these yet by all rights they should be. It costs them less than 5 bucks to produce a poster, in a medium known for its mass production, and can be reprinted for less than a dollar added. We know they're doing all this poo poo in Illustrator and it's not like they're deleting the files. They could run preorder campaigns for reprints, since the setup costs for reprints drop significantly with larger lots. The preorders hit a certain number, BAM, time for a new lot.

Anyone who knows how to screenprint knows their process and, if they were larcenous enough, could reproduce them easily if they had a high-quality image of them. It's not a mystery. I'm surprised that there isn't more bootlegs of them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't understand why everyone gets so het up about Mondo. They interior design industry is crammed full of high-priced products with artificial scarcity (cutlery, ornaments, lamps, chairs etc). One of the guiding principles or sales techniques behind these sort of thing is to sell you something for your home that you can't 'just buy'. Something that dinner party guests will coo and marvel over, thus proving your oh-so-discerning taste.

If everyone could buy one it would remove them from the interior design industry and place them smack dab in the posters for college students market. I think people get so mad just because it's a high profile example of the world of interior design overlapping with traditionally consumerist nerd spheres.

edit:

To paraphrase this thread: "These posters suck! And to make matters worse we can't buy them!"

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 18, 2013

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
"This food is awful, and the portions are too small!"

Goon run Mondo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Flunchy posted:

To paraphrase this thread: "These posters suck! And to make matters worse we can't buy them!"

It's more "shut up and take my money". Even sites like Teefury whose gimmick is "you buy this shirt for one day only and then it's gone" have gone back to a "greatest hits" selection of shirts because there's high demand (even though it's mostly Doctor Who or video game poo poo).

The way you solve the exclusivity problem is that you price the items at exorbitantly high prices, so you still get your pound of flesh and people think you're so rich for having one (hell, this is how the diamond industry works!).

Or even better, you make a "limited edition run" of 200 posters or whatever and then you sell the other ones normally. That's been done for forever in lots of fields.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Young Freud posted:

We know they're doing all this poo poo in Illustrator and it's not like they're deleting the files. They could run preorder campaigns for reprints, since the setup costs for reprints drop significantly with larger lots

So the original print files are actually worth a lot because of the artificial scarcity. It would be funny if a sly fox got his hands on one and started printing "fakes". They could sell them on ebay indefinitely.

computer parts posted:

The way you solve the exclusivity problem is that you price the items at exorbitantly high prices, so you still get your pound of flesh and people think you're so rich for having one (hell, this is how apple works!).

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 18, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I would have imagined somebody scanning in their Mondo poster to sell fakes by now.

And yet.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So... You thought every time Mondo sold a poster they're eating about a 100 dollars?

No? The guy asked how much it would cost to print, and I quote "Just one poster".

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So... You thought every time Mondo sold a poster they're eating about a 100 dollars?

No because you would not have to create a new screen and wash it out for every poster, that's all a one time thing, which is the big reason screen printing is cheaper in bulk. Much of the cost is the setup.

AndyP posted:

Was that drawn by Marjane Satrapi?

I'm not sure who drew it but it really looks like her style. I'm a big fan of it, even though as someone else pointed out you can't really tell he's holding on to a real doll and not just woman. It's more effective for someone who's seen the movie I guess, so it's better as a piece of art than a movie poster.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

It's more "shut up and take my money". Even sites like Teefury whose gimmick is "you buy this shirt for one day only and then it's gone" have gone back to a "greatest hits" selection of shirts because there's high demand (even though it's mostly Doctor Who or video game poo poo).

The way you solve the exclusivity problem is that you price the items at exorbitantly high prices, so you still get your pound of flesh and people think you're so rich for having one (hell, this is how the diamond industry works!).

Or even better, you make a "limited edition run" of 200 posters or whatever and then you sell the other ones normally. That's been done for forever in lots of fields.

For a dirtier example, Chive and t-shirts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KinkyJohn posted:

So the original print files are actually worth a lot because of the artificial scarcity. It would be funny if a sly fox got his hands on one and started printing "fakes". They could sell them on ebay indefinitely.

You wouldn't even have to do that. You must have missed my last paragraph in that post: it's very possible to reverse-engineer a print off an high-quality image and color match their inks, especially on the simpler designs. It's not like there's some sort of secret formula or mystery method, it's a very well-known process.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fayez Butts posted:

No? The guy asked how much it would cost to print, and I quote "Just one poster".

Oh well, that makes sense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

LesterGroans posted:

Poster for a Kevin Costner/McG/Luc Besson joint:

This poster just makes me surprised we never got to see a movie with Paul Walker as Kevin Costner's son.

Is this meant to make me think anything other than "I liked Scarface"?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is this meant to make me think anything other than "I liked Scarface"?

"This is poo poo."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

zandert33 posted:

I think this is way extreme. The movie very fun to watch, and had some hilarious moments, and some parts were so over the top and insane I had a huge grin on my face. The main fault of the movie is that Chow was obviously too old to play the main role, so some other younger actor played the part, and it's clear he's "being" the Chow character.

I'd really like to know how you can think it's one of the "worst movies" you've ever seen though.
It relied a lot on slapstick comedy that fell flat most of the time. Stephen Chow's always excelled in over-the-top physical comedy, but there was just a kind of mindless approach to this here. Two problems:

1) Most of the scenes are written only for comedy to happen. It sounds like, "duh, that's what comedies are about", but good comedies -- even those based on absurd, over-the-top sequences -- have a good excuse for their scenes to happen. The first scene in Journey to the West where a monster attacks a village was just an excuse for fat woman A to do wacky thing, silly man B to be in the way. It's related to the rest of the film only very tangentially, something you couldn't say about more successful Chow films like Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, both of which had very compelling storylines.

2) As you mentioned, the acting was bad. Comedy needs to be delivered; the lead character was a plank of wood. I have no doubt Chow would have nailed at least some of the scenes. The supporting characters are all atrocious too, though, having rewatched the trailer, I pity them for the lines they have to deliver: "How can I help?" "Get out of my way." "Okay!!"

It was literally one of the worst films I've watched because cringe-worthy comedy is painful, especially when it tries so hard to be edgy.

Not referring to you in particular, but in general I think there's a tendency for film critics to paint Chow as some genius. But his forte has always been delivering lines (he's actually great in a Journey to the West film he did in his younger years), not directing or writing.

For some actual content, this is the non-hand drawn version of the poster.

That floating box is so bad :wtc:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw man. Sucks that that Journeybto the West movie, well sucks. Maybe the one Neil Gaiman is supposed to be writing will be better.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Vegetable posted:

That floating box is so bad :wtc:
Are you complaining about the bad compositing of the box in particular on a poster full of bad compositing, or are you actually implying it's floating? I get how the sleeve of the arm holding it up can be easily confused with part of the costume of the guy behind it, but it "is" supported.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Directed by the guy whose job seems to be to make Happy Madison movies (Waterboy, Wedding Singer, Click, Zookeeper, Here Comes the Boom).

Isn't that the plot to "Just Go With It"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Go_with_It

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Mondo is so tricky for me, because this is movie poster thread, and therefore it has to be talked about, but y'all get so friggin stupid with it that I literally wince every time it is brought up.

So, for now, this seems to work:

:siren:NEXT TEN POSTS MUST HAVE A NON-MONDO POSTER IN THEM OR YOU ARE PROBATED:siren:

(Last time I did this it was five, I will keep adding to it every time this derail happens.)

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Well then, here's a terrible thing:

I can't unsee his face between her legs and not his own fingers. He is super mad at her vagina.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

Well then, here's a terrible thing:

I can't unsee his face between her legs and not his own fingers. He is super mad at her vagina.

Those are his fingers, I think. He's putting his hand on the camera lens.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Hey look, a remake of a throwaway 80s movie that was also a play:

Hey look, an actually interesting poster despite being a pretty cliché design:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Someday I'm gonna make my way through this progression of completely unrelated films.

Bonus, less-:effort: poster for Murder 101:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TheJoker138 posted:

Those are his fingers, I think. He's putting his hand on the camera lens.

Vargo posted:

Mondo is so tricky for me, because this is movie poster thread, and therefore it has to be talked about, but y'all get so friggin stupid with it that I literally wince every time it is brought up.

So, for now, this seems to work:

:siren:NEXT TEN POSTS MUST HAVE A NON-MONDO POSTER IN THEM OR YOU ARE PROBATED:siren:

(Last time I did this it was five, I will keep adding to it every time this derail happens.)

Heeeey, we made it a whopping two posts! STARTING OVER. 10 POSTS. MUST HAVE POSTERS. NOT MONDO.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I bring you posters from my land.

Classics from Tin-Tán, amazing comedian, and the art from the posters was well received before in this thread:

And from a recent Mexican comedy where they thankfully didn't go for the usual red letters and white back colors.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

It's... Geoffrey Rush in some movie!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I like this must post a poster concept. Gives me the idea of dipping into a random year. How about... 1991!

You thought Photoshop was bad these days? Here's James Belushi like he's never existed before!

Strong girl though. I don't know anyone that could carry Belushi, let alone hold him up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vargo posted:

Heeeey, we made it a whopping two posts! STARTING OVER. 10 POSTS. MUST HAVE POSTERS. NOT MONDO.

Apologies. Here is my favorite ever VHS cover to make up for it. The quote slays me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I'm guessing this is pretty much everyone in the film

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You thought Photoshop was bad these days? Here's James Belushi like he's never existed before!

God drat this just makes me think of how badly I hate John Hughes movies.

Post your favorite posters of people holding people up in weird ways!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I like this must post a poster concept. Gives me the idea of dipping into a random year. How about... 1991!

Strong girl though. I don't know anyone that could carry Belushi, let alone hold him up.

John Hughes films are all about people leaning on or towards things.

Rob Liefeld?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh hey, this is actually a pretty decent movie. Its original title was Scarfies, in reference to University of Otago students who often wear blue and gold scarves that are the university and local rugby team colours. I guess a name-change in the US was inevitable, but I wish they came up with something better than loving Crime 101.

Here's the far more simple, but far more effective poster.

The same director also made a film called Out of the Blue, about the Aramoana massacre of 1993. It's worth checking out, and is probably the best movie starring Karl Urban who would go on to play Bones and Judge Dredd.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Red_Museum posted:

Is that really Owen Wilson?
:aaaaa:

This Owen Wilson?!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Is that really Owen Wilson?
:aaaaa:

This Owen Wilson?!

Are you face blind or something?

edit:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Red_Museum posted:

That's a hell of a cast, but man, I saw the trailer for it before Dallas Buyers Club the other day (not the first time I'd seen, but first time I'd seen it in theaters) and it did not look entertaining in the least. While there are a couple that I dig, I'm not a big fan of most of Wes Anderson's movies, and this one looks like it uses the same "HEY LOOK AT THIS ISN'T THIS QUIRKY?!?!?!" style as a lot of his movies. Not to mention that part of it is filmed in 4:3 :ughh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Are you face blind or something?

I was blinded by Zack Snyder*

Owen looks very,very different in that poster from his usual look, must be just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's been 10 posts, so here is Mondo's Home Alone where they just show you every single trap. Just showcased today - on sale tomorrow.

Also some LoTR Two Towers - details here with process of how they designed it: http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/12/18/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-two-towers-and-home-alone-on-sale-info/