Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think I want a Versys.

I mean, I don't really want a Versys more than anything, but I think the closest thing to my "ideal" bike would be the Hyperstrada and I don't know if I want a Ducati. F700GS or V-Strom could both be cool, but I don't know if I want something with a 19" front wheel and could care less about dirt ability. I just want something that sits as upright as possible and can support me riding it for a couple hours at a time without fatigue, but is light and still feels like a sport bike with suspension that you don't immediately have to throw money at to be competent, plus ABS.

Or am I overlooking something?

I rode a buddy's Versys...it's a really wonderful all arounder, if you don't mind that the power is just decent, not awe inspiring like most bikes. It wheelies nice off the clutch in second gear. Good gas mileage, nice looking (IMO), reliable, can get the suspension upgraded. It's basically an evolution of the SV style, somewhat nicer suspension, fuel injection, a nicer seating position, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think I want a Versys.

I mean, I don't really want a Versys more than anything, but I think the closest thing to my "ideal" bike would be the Hyperstrada and I don't know if I want a Ducati. F700GS or V-Strom could both be cool, but I don't know if I want something with a 19" front wheel and could care less about dirt ability. I just want something that sits as upright as possible and can support me riding it for a couple hours at a time without fatigue, but is light and still feels like a sport bike with suspension that you don't immediately have to throw money at to be competent, plus ABS.

Are you sure you don't want an Aprilia Shiver/Dosoduro?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I thought my old SV650A had plenty of power, and honestly my current EX500 isn't that far off power-wise for me either. I enjoy the lightness of smaller displacement bikes more than I enjoy the thrust of big ones, I guess.

Most sport tourers are either going to be too heavy or too leaned over for me to really enjoy. I really like the supermoto / adv bike seating position.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I thought my old SV650A had plenty of power, and honestly my current EX500 isn't that far off power-wise for me either. I enjoy the lightness of smaller displacement bikes more than I enjoy the thrust of big ones, I guess.

Most sport tourers are either going to be too heavy or too leaned over for me to really enjoy. I really like the supermoto / adv bike seating position.

A Ulysses is lighter than a Versys... and about twice as powerful, with better suspension and brakes, probably cheaper too :) *Buellvangelism*

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I really want to try the CB500F/R but all of the dealers in my area are being super sketchy about test rides. One of them even told me they basically weren't going to let me ride one without signed sales paperwork. When I made the point that's a ridiculous policy akin to someone buying a car without driving it he basically said "Welp."

Is this a normal policy or are all the guys in my area just shitlords?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The CB500F/CB500X might also be worth a look, the Tiger 800 in the other direction. I can see the goofy charm the Versys has.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

A Ulysses is lighter than a Versys... and about twice as powerful, with better suspension and brakes, probably cheaper too :) *Buellvangelism*

Jesus, the Versys is that heavy?

The Versys has the Uly beat by 50 pounds. Still, though, power.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 17, 2013

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

I really want to try the CB500F/R but all of the dealers in my area are being super sketchy about test rides. One of them even told me they basically weren't going to let me ride one without signed sales paperwork. When I made the point that's a ridiculous policy akin to someone buying a car without driving it he basically said "Welp."

Is this a normal policy or are all the guys in my area just shitlords?

Depends on the area & your age/riding experience/skin color. I got the same runaround - I was supposed to buy the bike before taking a test ride, with the promise they'd tear up the contract if I didn't care for it (and brought it back unscratched). Decided I'd rather dick around with Craigslist for months than give people like that my money.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think I want a Versys.

*runs into thread, takes deep breath...

Linedance posted:

Are you sure you don't want an Aprilia Shiver/Dosoduro?

gently caress, beat me to it.

Yeah anyway what you've described there is exactly the Shiver/DD - former if you prefer the streetfighter look, latter if you want the motard look. They tick every one of those boxes and look a shitload sexier than any of those bikes you named.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think I want a Versys.

I'll mention the Versys to my dad, he's always ridden Sportsters but then he bought a dirt bike to mess around with and now he says he knows what actual suspension feels like; really has been talking about the V-Strom a lot. I tell him it's boring and that the Ulysses really is the best of both worlds, but he doesn't want anything that old or what he perceives as unreliable (i.e. Buell, anything Italian). Like you, he wants something that's light too, so no R1200GS. He'd also like to avoid a chain, haven't found anything with a belt or shaft that fits the bill though.

Another similar bike is the Honda NC700X (now 750). Also, the Yamaha TDM, which is a bit more sporty.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
:laffo: at "actual suspension" and "vstrom" in the same sentence.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Jesus, the Versys is that heavy?

The Versys has the Uly beat by 50 pounds. Still, though, power.

Hm, I guess I fail at looking at two numbers and figuring out which is greater. I swore I saw a 50 lb advantage in the Uly's favor...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The NC750X is a weird bike. It fits the niche I'm looking for (a utility standard, for all intents and purposes, but with even more upright adv bike seating position) but they tied the ABS with the dual clutch transmission, the engine is basically half of a Honda Fit motor with the same redline, and it's HEAVY.

As for the Shiver/Dorsoduro - I think both are cool but a little too far in either direction away from what I'm looking for. Put the front suspension of the Dorsoduro on the Shiver and we'd have a winner. They're both really cheap new though, dang.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 17, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

This is the first time I have been made aware of the Dorsoduro, and I find it comes in a 1200?!!?

I am so hard right now

Someone tell me what's wrong with it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This is the first time I have been made aware of the Dorsoduro, and I find it comes in a 1200?!!?

I am so hard right now

Aprilia is terrible at promoting its products that aren't the RSV. You can probably get one at 0% interest with a healthy new-old-stock discount for one that's been sitting on the dealership floor. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but some locales might have a bit of a lead time on spare parts.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
e: wrong thread I am a retard

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Linedance posted:

Aprilia is terrible at promoting its products that aren't the RSV. You can probably get one at 0% interest with a healthy new-old-stock discount for one that's been sitting on the dealership floor. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but some locales might have a bit of a lead time on spare parts.

They promote the Tuono, too. But yeah, to get one, you'd need to find a) An Aprilia dealer and b) either one at that dealer, or one at another dealer that'll ship to yours. My local 'Aprilia dealer' has a grand total of 1 RSV-R and 1 Tuono, and they're also the local Ducati dealer so their workshop rates are out of this world. There are two other dealers in my state, and that's kind of a high number. If you have any need for parts or accessories (which is pretty common for a Versys-style utility bike) you can count on them taking forever from the dealer, costing a lot, and third-party support being light at best.

Which is not to say flat out "Don't buy an Aprilia" but I wouldn't put up with the hassle unless it was something that really stirred the loins, and that really just seems like the aforementioned RSV and Tuono. We'll see what the new Caponord is like, if it gets imported in any quantity to speak of. Something like the Dorsudoro or Shiver, I'd say unless you really wanted that exact bike I'd see what else in the market does it for you.

Standard caveat that this is for US riders only, EU/UK guys like twisto get completely different support networks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I am so hard right now

Some people have described the 1200 motor as a bit disappointing because it gets compared to the V4 more than the 750 does, but that's about it.

The biggest problem is that THEY WON'T PUT IT IN THE loving SHIVER gently caress YOU APRILIA YOU loving DESIGNED IT FOR THE SHIVER WHY ARE YOU WASTING IT ON THE DD AND CAPONORD gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

Ahem.

FWIW, you can get Aprilia parts through any Piaggio group dealer (so Piaggio and Vespa scooter dealers as well as Guzzi, Gilera and Derbi dealers) or just by mail order from AF1 Racing in the States, so while it's not as easy to pick up as a Kawasaki part it's not impossible, and they can also hook it up to Axone to read the diagnostic codes even if they can't do anything about it. My bike's not seen a dealer in 3 years now and it's fine.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

They promote the Tuono, too. But yeah, to get one, you'd need to find a) An Aprilia dealer and b) either one at that dealer, or one at another dealer that'll ship to yours.

Luckily for him, there's a dealer about 5 miles from where he is and I think they have a couple of dorsoduros. Not sure if they have a 1200 though.

Royal, let me know when you wanna head down to Temple City and take a look. I need to take a test ride on that RSV4 at some point.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Now that my wife is interested in riding 2-up with me, I'm looking for a sport tourer that falls much more on the "tourer" side of things than "sport". My first and only bike so far is a curvy SV650S, and I like its power delivery a lot, am not a fan of its front or rear suspension. Budget's in the $6k range so as cool as an Aprilia or Ducati would be, I don't think that's in the range.

The first things that come to mind in that range after a glance at Craigslist seem to be a brand new CB500X, very used ST1300, 2008 or 2009 Concours 14, or a lightly used Versys.

The problem is that I really don't see any want or need for more than 70 HP for 2-up touring, but I'm not sure the Versys is big and comfortable enough for 2 people. I'm 6'1" 180 lbs, and my wife is 5'11" 165 lbs. Is a Connie the best bet for 2 large people? They look like nice bikes and I'm shocked how quickly the Connie 14s have depreciated, but it's literally 2x the power I'm looking for and the fuel range can't great with that monster engine.

Edit: ABS would be very nice to have, and I'd certainly pony up $500 for it if I go for the new CB500X.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Angryboot posted:

Luckily for him, there's a dealer about 5 miles from where he is and I think they have a couple of dorsoduros. Not sure if they have a 1200 though.

Royal, let me know when you wanna head down to Temple City and take a look. I need to take a test ride on that RSV4 at some point.

Thanks for the info all - it does seem that I have multiple dealers within an hour of me. Unfortunately I'm not in the market anytime soon, but it's nice to have something to look for on Craigslist... once the 690 gets boring I know what to hunt.

Angry I'll let you know... I need some new boots soon so maybe I'll check their selection.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Now that my wife is interested in riding 2-up with me, I'm looking for a sport tourer that falls much more on the "tourer" side of things than "sport". My first and only bike so far is a curvy SV650S, and I like its power delivery a lot, am not a fan of its front or rear suspension. Budget's in the $6k range so as cool as an Aprilia or Ducati would be, I don't think that's in the range.

The first things that come to mind in that range after a glance at Craigslist seem to be a brand new CB500X, very used ST1300, 2008 or 2009 Concours 14, or a lightly used Versys.

The problem is that I really don't see any want or need for more than 70 HP for 2-up touring, but I'm not sure the Versys is big and comfortable enough for 2 people. I'm 6'1" 180 lbs, and my wife is 5'11" 165 lbs. Is a Connie the best bet for 2 large people? They look like nice bikes and I'm shocked how quickly the Connie 14s have depreciated, but it's literally 2x the power I'm looking for and the fuel range can't great with that monster engine.

Edit: ABS would be very nice to have, and I'd certainly pony up $500 for it if I go for the new CB500X.

Why dont you want more than 70 HP?

Generally, smaller displacement bikes are smaller, so if you get a smaller bike expect to be more cramped. Also, budget for an aftermarket seat as oftentimes the stock ones are meh for either the rider or the passenger.

Fuel range is going to be fine on something like the Connie if you ride it sedately, considering the tank is 5.8 gallons and people report approaching 50 mpg on freeway use.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Weinertron posted:

... I really don't see any want or need for more than 70 HP for 2-up touring ...

Depends on the kind of touring you do. High altitude really kills power, so if you see yourselves in Idaho and Colorado and stuff, some of those beautiful 8-12000 ft passes that you just don't want to miss are going to be a bit of a schlep 2 up with 60 a horsepower bike, because it's probably lost 15 or so from sea level. I found myself impatient with the bike pretty much the entire time I was on the Colorado Plateau.

BMW R bikes seem in line with what you're after. They make nice grunty torque in the mid-rpm range but aren't massively powerful, and the suspension is really nice for long distance comfort. You can put touring bags on them too. We rode my wife's R1150R home to western Washington from Yellowstone, and it worked really well.

If you're big, a Ulysses would fit you. I goddamn love mine. They have roomy passenger area, nice suspension, and they're lighter and nimbler than they look. Range is only like 180-200 miles though I think; fuel-in-frame limits the capacity.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Z3n posted:

Why dont you want more than 70 HP?

I guess it would be nice to have, it just seems overkill. The SV650 is really powerful enough, and I'm not looking for peaky 4-cylinder torque delivery. I've never ridden anything with a giant sport-touring engine, so I guess that these guys would make torque everywhere. I haven't looked at a dyno chart of the ST1300 and Concours, but I think the engine style I'm looking for falls much closer to the Honda NC700X, with usable torque but not much power.

Edit: I entirely forgot about altitude because I'm at sea level right now. I will consider that, and is the Uly really that good a bike? I see it recommended a ton here but there's a lot of kneejerk negative reactions from review sites. I've never even seen one in person.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Depending on your area, you can probably get a good r850r or r1150r with a full service history, or a s/st if you prefer fairings. That's gonna be comfy as heck for touring 2-up.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Weinertron posted:

I guess it would be nice to have, it just seems overkill. The SV650 is really powerful enough, and I'm not looking for peaky 4-cylinder torque delivery. I've never ridden anything with a giant sport-touring engine, so I guess that these guys would make torque everywhere. I haven't looked at a dyno chart of the ST1300 and Concours, but I think the engine style I'm looking for falls much closer to the Honda NC700X, with usable torque but not much power.

Edit: I entirely forgot about altitude because I'm at sea level right now. I will consider that, and is the Uly really that good a bike? I see it recommended a ton here but there's a lot of kneejerk negative reactions from review sites. I've never even seen one in person.

The big displacement I4s act a lot more like the SV than they do a 600 I4. Especially at lower revs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, you kind of sound exactly like the market for a big Bandit 1200 or 1250. Inexpensive, torquey engine, roomy for two but not a boat.

If you really want big you can always take a look at Goldwings, a 1500 is probably easily in that price range.

If you're hauling 345 pounds of people, plus gear, plus actually carrying any luggage you're going to want a good bit more than 70 horse.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Weinertron posted:

I will consider that, and is the Uly really that good a bike? I see it recommended a ton here but there's a lot of kneejerk negative reactions from review sites. I've never even seen one in person.

I really like mine. It does everything I need a bike to do, does it well, and it's generally easy to work on. Reviewers don't seem to like idle shake or a clattery engine - I don't really get that, it's fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weinertron posted:

I wouldn't be concerned about the power. Youre over thinking it. Those bikes are like tractors, you can run them all the time between 2 and 5k, and it will feel a lot like the SV with a bit more kick, or you can spin it out and get warp speed for passing or fun.

If you buy a Buell, and dont do your own work, you're going to have a bad time. Even if you do your own work, it's got some quirks that wouldn't make it a great ST ride imo. Belt drive is one, adjusting gearing is difficult and expensive and belts can fail catastrophically due to an errant rock, the meh engine is another - it has some issues with fueling, has a tendency to leak oil, vibrates a lot, and a bunch of other small things that an experienced owner and mechanic will have few issues with but could ruin the ownership experience, especially when compared to a bike that doesn't have those issues.

Plus, with the demise of Buell, I guarantee you're going to end up with an equivalent to the $500 aprilia futura rear wheel bearing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Chains and shafts fail catastrophically, belts exit stage rear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Clutchpuck has genuinely lost all perspective.

Generally I think if you aren't dead-set on a buell for some specific reason and just want <good bike>, get a bandit 1200 or a bmw tourer or something.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I agree with everything else z3n mentioned. But belts are objectively better :colbert:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Weinertron posted:

Maybe a V-Strom? Same motor as the SV. Much cushier and roomier than a Versys. Suspension isn't great but it's better on the 2012's.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Shafts, sure. Chains? No, you can inspect the links, and you can see. A chain just failing "out of nowhere" is essentially a non-issue. The GSX-R that I built had a chain that was raced on, had ~10k of abuse after that with questionable lubing done, and it was quite obvious it had been abused (3 bound links), and it still didn't fail, and could probably be ridden on for another 5-10k before it would snap.

On the flip side, a bad rock to your belt and it is done. And good luck finding a replacement on the fly, chains are at least standard.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Before clutchpuck replies with his tale of replacing the belt in a parking lot I'll point out that he already was carrying a spare belt (and maybe tools and instructions, I can't remember) because he was expecting it to go.

I really don't think the chain vs belt argument has much merit either way but like Slavvy said, if you're not already a Buell Enthusiast there are probably a lot simpler options for getting what you want than seeking out a Ulysses.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Surprised no one has suggested a Ninja 250? I'll throw that in the ring.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Compared to what happens when a chain or shaft checks out, a belt failure is going to be way less catastrophic though. Heck I've seen a belt pass a rock right through it and keep on working with a hole in it until we got home.

It is true that belts can be more spontaneous in that regard, though there are wear signs like cracks between the teeth and frayed edges. The flip side is you get way more life out of a belt than a chain without fussing with cleaning, tension, or lube (the Goodyear I have right now has a replacement interval of never) plus they shave pounds off the final drive.

Coming back to the discussion: The Ulysses is the greatest motorcycle ever made, and belts are objectively better :colbert:

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 19, 2013

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

Shafts, sure. Chains? No, you can inspect the links, and you can see. A chain just failing "out of nowhere" is essentially a non-issue. The GSX-R that I built had a chain that was raced on, had ~10k of abuse after that with questionable lubing done, and it was quite obvious it had been abused (3 bound links), and it still didn't fail, and could probably be ridden on for another 5-10k before it would snap.

Let's not forget that it was also encrusted with road salt. I don't think we're giving my horrendous abuse of that wonderful bike full due here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Compared to what happens when a chain or shaft checks out, a belt failure is going to be way less catastrophic though. Heck I've seen a belt pass a rock right through it and keep on working with a hole in it until we got home.

It is true that belts can be more spontaneous in that regard, though there are wear signs like cracks between the teeth and frayed edges. The flip side is you get way more life out of a belt than a chain without fussing with cleaning, tension, or lube (the Goodyear I have right now has a replacement interval of never) plus they shave pounds off the final drive.

Coming back to the discussion: The Ulysses is the greatest motorcycle ever made, and belts are objectively better :colbert:

I've seen chains exit with no drama. Sure, a belt failure is less catastrophic in terms of potential damage, but it can still fail at pretty much any moment despite proper maintenance due to bad environmental factors and strand you. A chain isn't going to do that ever. It might go to poo poo, but you can still ride on it even in poo poo condition. I haven't had to replace a chain that hasn't been neglected, but I would consider the reasonable limit on a chain to be 40k+ with proper care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

Surprised no one has suggested a Ninja 250? I'll throw that in the ring.

KLR650!
Ulysses!

I got nothing. All of my favorite bikes are pretty sweet once you overlook their flaws.