Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't had any issues with it at all.

He can check in the cellular settings to see what is using data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nask26 posted:

Is their a Verizon acknowledged issue with data on a 5s? My dad switched from AT&T to Verizon on launch day and has gone over significantly the last few months. They are saying hes used almost 8gb this month. He had 2gb on AT&T and never once went over. He doesn't watch YouTube or Facebook or anything like that, I think he has like 2 apps installed. He's going to call them today and ask but I have a feeling they are going to give him the run around.

I doubt siri could use that much data, But is it possible hes using features like that more? Phantom data is a bitch, I had a few iPhone customers on AT&T with that issue and I never had an explanation for em.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Has anyone here ordered the iPhone 5s at full price to keep their unlimited plan (unlimited plan originated from when I had a Blackberry a long time ago but have since been using an iPhone 4)? I'm trying to order it on Verizon's page on the month to month option so I'm paying full price. When I get to the plan detail page during the ordering process it shows my minutes, text and data options but when I proceed to the next checkout page it doesn't show my calling plan in the plan details. I'm afraid if I order it this way Verizon will gently caress me over and force me into a tiered plan if I try to make any changes to the calling plan portion.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Has anyone here ordered the iPhone 5s at full price to keep their unlimited plan (unlimited plan originated from when I had a Blackberry a long time ago but have since been using an iPhone 4)? I'm trying to order it on Verizon's page on the month to month option so I'm paying full price. When I get to the plan detail page during the ordering process it shows my minutes, text and data options but when I proceed to the next checkout page it doesn't show my calling plan in the plan details. I'm afraid if I order it this way Verizon will gently caress me over and force me into a tiered plan if I try to make any changes to the calling plan portion.

What is stopping you from ordering it from Apple or buying it in a retail store? If you don't have a 4G sim, you can buy one from a Verizon store and activate it there.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

The Apple store is probably my best bet. I went to the Verizon store the other day and they kept insisting you couldn't keep your unlimited phone even buying the phone at full price so I gave up and decided it would probably be easier online. I would have went to the Apple store first but I know how much of a clusterfuck it is this time of year.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Buy one from the online store and let the mail system take the phone to you, or just use the store pickup option:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/personal_pickup

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

I'm seeing unlimited data being shown on both screens. Looks like no problems to me.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

Sigma posted:

Buy one from the online store and let the mail system take the phone to you, or just use the store pickup option:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/personal_pickup

I tried going through the ordering process on the Apple page but when you choose your provider it forces you to change your data plan and doesn't have an option for full price. It also appears the unlocked contract free phones they sell won't work with Verizon. Looks like I'll just have to go to the store.

hoobajoo posted:

I'm seeing unlimited data being shown on both screens. Looks like no problems to me.

It isn't the data plan that isn't showing up in the plan details, its the calling plan. Notice the $40 monthly price difference.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

It isn't the data plan that isn't showing up in the plan details, its the calling plan. Notice the $40 monthly price difference.

That's because the account level charges won't be displayed on a single line. Totally normal.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get screwed later.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

EbolaIvory posted:

I doubt siri could use that much data, But is it possible hes using features like that more? Phantom data is a bitch, I had a few iPhone customers on AT&T with that issue and I never had an explanation for em.

And people wonder why we hold onto our Unlimited with such obsessive tenacity.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I bought my Maxx 2 weeks ago today for $499. Today it dropped to $449. Any chance of getting VZW to refund the $50?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

stormrider posted:

I bought my Maxx 2 weeks ago today for $499. Today it dropped to $449. Any chance of getting VZW to refund the $50?

Give it a try in a store. I bought it full price in August and 10 days later they dropped it by $50. They couldn't give me a $50 refund but they gave me a bill credit instead.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

stormrider posted:

Go in or call in today; more than likely you can get the $50 as a credit. Won't be a refund, but it's still money.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got an email today about going into a Verizon Wireless store and downloading ISIS/signing up for American Express Serve and getting a $50 credit. I'm planning on checking it out.

quote:

Visit your nearest Verizon Wireless store and ask how to get a $50 American Express Serve Account credit after you download the free Isis Mobile Wallet® app and sign up for a new American Express Serve Account by 1/6/14. Pay for your purchases, access money-saving offers, and participate in loyalty programs — directly on your phone! Accepted at over 200,000 locations nationwide, the Isis Mobile Wallet® is the smarter way to pay. Learn more now.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006
Has anyone successfully used a transferred upgrade through motomaker? I'm trying to get one of them wooden phones and any transferred upgrades aren't recognized by the motomaker site.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Twain of Pain posted:

Has anyone successfully used a transferred upgrade through motomaker? I'm trying to get one of them wooden phones and any transferred upgrades aren't recognized by the motomaker site.

Verizon Wireless Moto X FAQ posted:

Can I buy a Moto X - Designed by You in a store?

You can purchase a voucher for a Moto X device in a store, but you’ll still have to design your device through Motorola’s Moto Maker.

XDA posted:

Can I buy a Moto X - Designed by You in a store?

You can purchase a voucher for a Moto X device in a store, but you’ll still have to design your device through Motorola’s Moto Maker.

Seems like this should work. Apparently you just need to roll into store and get someone that knows what they're doing. :shrug: (this would obviously be the most complicated part of the process)

You could try doing it through telesales too, I don't know if that would work any better. Try to avoid mentioning "SAV MAH UNLIMITIDS" at all costs though because that's only going to further complicate the process. If asked just say "oh the <line getting phone> broke their phone and I just need to get a new one :words:"

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Seems like this should work. Apparently you just need to roll into store and get someone that knows what they're doing. :shrug: (this would obviously be the most complicated part of the process)

You could try doing it through telesales too, I don't know if that would work any better. Try to avoid mentioning "SAV MAH UNLIMITIDS" at all costs though because that's only going to further complicate the process. If asked just say "oh the <line getting phone> broke their phone and I just need to get a new one :words:"

I guess I'll try it with telesales, because apparently you can't use the vouchers to purchase the bamboo ones. Thanks though

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I pulled the trigger on the MAXX today on the off contract price. Definitely worth every penny, I can't believe I didn't do this earlier. Right now you get the $50 isis credit and 2 years of 50GB Drive so it's an even better value.

My only gripe is no IR blaster, I was using that to control my TV.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 21, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
With 28 days to go til my upgrade date, I dropped my HTC Rezound and broke the glass for the second time. I called Verizon and the first CSR was nice enough to get me an exception so I would be allowed to upgrade early but said I'd need to order from them and couldn't go to a store. I thought it was pretty nice that they were letting me move my upgrade date at all but wasn't ready to buy yet, so I came here to figure out what to get.

Between this thread and the Android thread I was set on either a MAXX or Moto X. I called Verizon again to ask how my data plan would transfer and a few other questions and that CSR was like "No, what they're doing is not okay, my supervisor moved your upgrade date to today, just go to the store and get your new phone." Since I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow this was great news. I'm now home with my new Motorola MAXX installing updates and synicing. I sprung for the Otter Box because I seem to drop my phone a lot. It is a little big for my girl-hands with the otter box on it but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Also they let me keep my 4 gigs of data from when I got that in a promotion two years ago, which was super cool of them. Really happy with Verizon today, that was way better and easier than I expected to be treated. :)

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
How much are you paying for 4 gigs? My wife has the 6gb max plan for 30/mo. I use the 8gb max + hotspot for 50/mo.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The 4GB plan is $30/mo, same as the 6. It's what we were offering to all customers between refusing to grandfather unlimited and transitioning to share everything.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So i went to check out new phones today as my razr maxx is showing signs of slow down after neary 2 years. Also, it not getting kit kat has made me interested in a phone as well. So i went to the store to look at the prices on phones @ full price since i wanted to keep my unlimited data. I was surprised that most phones were only in the $500 range. I was expecting $650+. However, i left and went to best buy. It was there i learned of the nexus 5, which i later found out cant be on verizon which was disappointing. The new note and galaxy 4 seemed good but i didnt settle on one. So im curious, when would the next line up of phones drop, and are there any standouts that look to be amazing?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Zotix posted:

So i went to check out new phones today as my razr maxx is showing signs of slow down after neary 2 years. Also, it not getting kit kat has made me interested in a phone as well. So i went to the store to look at the prices on phones @ full price since i wanted to keep my unlimited data. I was surprised that most phones were only in the $500 range. I was expecting $650+. However, i left and went to best buy. It was there i learned of the nexus 5, which i later found out cant be on verizon which was disappointing. The new note and galaxy 4 seemed good but i didnt settle on one. So im curious, when would the next line up of phones drop, and are there any standouts that look to be amazing?

I haven't heard rumors of anything really on the immediate horizon. The galaxy s5 will apparently be sometime in March according to some quick googling. The newest Note, the Galaxy S4, the HTC One, the Moto X and the Droid Maxx are goon favorites, I don't think you would be upset with any of them. Personal recommendation from me is the droid maxx, even better battery life than your razr maxx with actually useful manufacturer features and kit kat rollout has already started for it. The price on it just dropped off contract to $449 too.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Isn't the maxx only a dual core?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

That really doesn't matter at all FYI. It's just as fast if not faster than any other flagship phone. It's like the megapixel myth all over again. I just picked one up and it's an AMAZING phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zotix posted:

That's something that doesn't matter.

Also keep in mind that Motorola doesn't cheat in benchmarks like every other manufacturer (see the I Can't Believe I Still Have To Update This Table section).

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Now that I'm home, I think I'm going to go with the Moto X. Apparently the Black Friday Today show deal was back on for today, so I applied for the $150 coupon to get a no contract version of the phone which the deal says I can use on Verizon. I guess I should be able to get the phone for about $300, and then take it to Verizon and activate it to keep my unlimited data. If anyone is familiar with people who have done this, does it seem like it should work out okay?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zotix posted:

Now that I'm home, I think I'm going to go with the Moto X. Apparently the Black Friday Today show deal was back on for today, so I applied for the $150 coupon to get a no contract version of the phone which the deal says I can use on Verizon. I guess I should be able to get the phone for about $300, and then take it to Verizon and activate it to keep my unlimited data. If anyone is familiar with people who have done this, does it seem like it should work out okay?
Did this exact same thing for my girlfriend and it was easy. You could do it in the store, but we activated hers through the website since the X ships with a SIM in it. You can also do it with a call from a third phone if you have one around.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The Moto X box has the sim and serial on it, you can just do it through the website like Doctor rear end in a top hat says.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I decided not to pull the trigger, just yet. My coupon is good until the end of the day Christmas Eve. I'm going to shop around a bit more. I'm curious though, why don't some people like the LG G2, I saw Doctor rear end in a top hat's post where he disliked it in the Android thread, but I didn't see an explanation.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Zotix posted:

I decided not to pull the trigger, just yet. My coupon is good until the end of the day Christmas Eve. I'm going to shop around a bit more. I'm curious though, why don't some people like the LG G2, I saw Doctor rear end in a top hat's post where he disliked it in the Android thread, but I didn't see an explanation.

After using a moto and an lg g2, I say get the moto.

If the battery is the kicker, get the maxx. The only thing besides a nice screen and awesome batt like on the g2 is the kick rear end camera.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Has anyone who purchased a Maxx in the last two days received the 4.4 OTA yet?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

FordPRefectLL posted:

Has anyone who purchased a Maxx in the last two days received the 4.4 OTA yet?

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten the update. Ive heard whispers of the update causing problems so it might be best to wait till the bugs have been ironed out. My old phone was a gnex so I'm used to waiting for the new hotness :smith:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The 4.4 update is currently only in soak test. It won't start rolling out officially until this coming week at the earliest.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I got 4.4 on my droid ultra yesterday.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

The 4.4 update is currently only in soak test. It won't start rolling out officially until this coming week at the earliest.

It officially started rolling out 2 days ago, it's not in soak anymore:

https://twitter.com/VZWnews/status/413679991449059329

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
The Maxx update was apparently pretty problematic for a lot of people, and it's the weekend before Christmas.

I got overzealous and wanted to get a copy of the update from the XDA forums, and nearly bricked my phone in the process. I would just be patient. Unless there's some new killer feature you need desperately, just wait it out.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zotix posted:

I love my g2.
I also got it free.

I would not pay 500 for it. Go moto x or RAZR maxx if you're about to fork out big money.

Now if you can snag a g2 for 200ish or less. Go nuts. Its a great phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Stuff like Touchless Control really sets the Maxx above the G2 regardless of specs unless you really game a ton on your phone, which I personally almost never do and if it is it's an old Genesis emulator.

I don't know if the G2 can do this, but I absolutely love that my Maxx disables my lock screen when I have my LG Tone connected.

• Locked thread