Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RareAcumen posted:

Guys, I know that with the Beta out no one goes on the forums anymore but I'm happy to report that things don't seem to have improved over there.

:frogsiren:Chucklefish is Corrupt:frogsiren:

It's got everything you'd expect! :argh: Feminism! :pedophiles: Censorship! :shrug: And: 'I don't even see what I did wrong' to top it off.
I actually feel this was handled very well. The guy complains about how his opinions are being forced into line and the response is just "You don't have to change your opinions, just keep them to yourself. This isn't the place for that. This is the place for video games." Instead of trying to challenge his opinions or explain why he's wrong they take the much easier lateral route (that I wish so many others would) of just telling him to take it somewhere else. Chucklefish's General Forum is not the place to debate feminism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone mod Florans to drop lots of plant fibre, thanks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

XboxPants posted:

I do want to note that, as near as I can figure out with my limited skills, liquids seem to be extremely limited compared to other things like monsters and objects and gear. Part of it is just that we don't have the function/variable names, but a big part is they don't seem to be able to interface with Lua scripts.

But even then, you can at least make liquids that activate statuseffects, which you can then customize to a pretty decent degree, even without Lua, including the visual effects.

I tried a few days ago to make an invisible liquid for simulating atmosphere in moonbases, in preparation for the "no air" feature (whenever it shows up). I got it breathable and providing warmth but there's no way to disable swimming and/or the sound muffling. I sent Tiy a message on the official forums asking if we could get those features added, but I imagine he gets thousands of messages, so I'm not expecting a reply. One other thing that occurred to me since then was that setting a liquid as breathable might not even work once planets are airless, but I guess that's something we'll find out eventually.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Novasol posted:

I have Tabula Rasa installed correctly, but when I try to launch Starbound with your mod, it says it's missing the dependency tabularasa.

EDIT: This is fixed by editing the dependency line in ballooncannon.modinfo to read "tabularasa1.3" instead.

Sweet, thanks a lot! I haven't updated my Tabula Rasa for a while, so that's exactly the kind of bug I wouldn't have caught but would have broke things for people. Also I hope the Rasa dev doesn't just keep changing that mod's name every patch. I'll fix that before I upload it.

Pilchenstein posted:

I tried a few days ago to make an invisible liquid for simulating atmosphere in moonbases, in preparation for the "no air" feature (whenever it shows up). I got it breathable and providing warmth but there's no way to disable swimming and/or the sound muffling. I sent Tiy a message on the official forums asking if we could get those features added, but I imagine he gets thousands of messages, so I'm not expecting a reply. One other thing that occurred to me since then was that setting a liquid as breathable might not even work once planets are airless, but I guess that's something we'll find out eventually.

Similar results here. I wanted a thick, difficult to swim through liquid, but there seems to be pretty much no way to alter an individual liquid's physics. I considered modifying the base character's physics to make them slower, then applying a permanent buff to the player to simulate normal movement, and then making the thick liquid temporarily disable the movement buff, but I couldn't figure out any way to cancel a buff.

If you could activate techs or tech-like results through status-effects, you could probably turn off the underwater multijump mechanic, but like I said I couldn't figure out any way to do that. The best workaround I can imagine is generating invisible objects in the water that serve that purpose but that's not exactly practical.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 19, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

This would actually be pretty easy. All you have to do is make a recipe where the required item is the one to break down, and the items you receive are its various crafting materials. Here, I'll give you an example:

The furnace recipe is: Some cobblestone, a campfire, and you get a furnace.

All you have to do is reverse that: A furnace, and you get some cobblestone and a campfire, and so on.
Cool, I thought it might be something like that but that's even simpler than expected, just need to rename it to something and it has the pictures taken care of it seems, thanks.

Also, while I appreciate the insight, when I said this was crazy I was more referring to the self realization of "I want to recycle wood and stone because :spergin:"

I have no idea why I really like stone and log cabins filled with sleek titanium beds and hologram projectors. Maybe for how simple it is to get the parts compared to making everything out of space metals and crystals? Then again, the Glitch space ship has stonework ramparts on it so at least the game is accepting of this outlook :downs:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

Then again, the Glitch space ship has stonework ramparts on it so at least the game is accepting of this outlook :downs:
I wish we could get smooth neat stone out of our crafting. Without mods, I mean.

And the Florans could make Floran things. etc.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

XboxPants posted:

Similar results here. I wanted a thick, difficult to swim through liquid, but there seems to be pretty much no way to alter an individual liquid's physics. I considered modifying the base character's physics to make them slower, then applying a permanent buff to the player to simulate normal movement, and then making the thick liquid temporarily disable the movement buff, but I couldn't figure out any way to cancel a buff.

If you could activate techs or tech-like results through status-effects, you could probably turn off the underwater multijump mechanic, but like I said I couldn't figure out any way to do that. The best workaround I can imagine is generating invisible objects in the water that serve that purpose but that's not exactly practical.

Yeah, for all the ease of modding some aspects there's a lot of stuff that seems hardcoded, at least currently. I'm hoping they'll open things up a bit more, which they seem to be doing. For example, the only way to place/remove blocks from a script at the moment is with projectiles but there's lua commands for placing and damaging blocks coming in the next patch.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I've updated my "More Bows" mod to fix an issue where the bow sprites wouldn't display. It's also compatible with Tabula Rasa now.

Custom projectiles and different bows are coming in the next update.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

I actually feel this was handled very well. The guy complains about how his opinions are being forced into line and the response is just "You don't have to change your opinions, just keep them to yourself. This isn't the place for that. This is the place for video games." Instead of trying to challenge his opinions or explain why he's wrong they take the much easier lateral route (that I wish so many others would) of just telling him to take it somewhere else. Chucklefish's General Forum is not the place to debate feminism.

Agreed.

That being said, I do love his that his defense is either the "I'm too stupid to read" gambit or possibly the "I reject your reality and substitute my own" reversal. Audacious, but not terribly effective.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It would be neat to have the ability to be able to craft your race's specific blocks and furniture, because it's annoying breaking down an Apex Lab or Avian Temple for their bricks. Then again, it is fun looting and pillaging those settlements, so I dunno.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The dude with the pig avatar in this thread made a great mod called "homesick" that lets you craft all that stuff with easy to get material like cobblestone, wood and iron. I think you can find it on the starbound mod forum too.

edit : here it is http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/homesick-over-80-diverse-building-blocks-now-craftable-from-the-start.44722/

Kly fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 19, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've also seen at least one mod that lets you craft your race-specific furniture from the start.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kly posted:

The dude with the pig avatar in this thread made a great mod called "homesick" that lets you craft all that stuff with easy to get material like cobblestone, wood and iron. I think you can find it on the starbound mod forum too.

edit: here it is http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/homesick-over-80-diverse-building-blocks-now-craftable-from-the-start.44722/
I am planning to use it next time I start a character, yes, but it's the sort of thing that you shouldn't need a mod to do, you know?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Yah, it'd be nice if it was in vanilla. At least let you craft race specific blocks/furniture/decorations that they use in racial dungeons and towns and then collect blueprints for other races like the food and armor.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
First ever monster killed with the Brain Extractor and bam Superior Brain :cool:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

edit: wrong thread sorry.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

MeinGott posted:

First ever monster killed with the Brain Extractor and bam Superior Brain :cool:

How are you supposed to find a superior brain? I spent like two hours killing monsters and I only realised I had one when looking through my inventory later

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MeinGott posted:

It's loving annoying you don't get one from the Apex if you kill them with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sweeroy posted:

How are you supposed to find a superior brain? I spent like two hours killing monsters and I only realised I had one when looking through my inventory later

They have a flat 7% chance to drop from any monster, not sure if that includes playable race-based ones. That means there's a 93% chance of getting an inferior one which is infuriating if you're on a bad luck streak.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CJacobs posted:

They have a flat 7% chance to drop from any monster, not sure if that includes playable race-based ones. That means there's a 93% chance of getting an inferior one which is infuriating if you're on a bad luck streak.

It seriously made me want to add in a superiorbrain.recipe that takes like 50 inferiors or something and mashes them into a superior brain.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Take a trip to a Threat 1 world in the Alpha Sector, so your brain extractor oneshots most things. It's where I got my superior brain, and not needing to wear down enemies as much or at all helps speed up your odds.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Section Z posted:

Take a trip to a Threat 1 world in the Alpha Sector, so your brain extractor oneshots most things. It's where I got my superior brain, and not needing to wear down enemies as much or at all helps speed up your odds.

Yeah it'll oneshot anything in TL1. I've done it 4x now and it's never taken over 5 or 10 mins to get one

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Starhawk64 posted:

It would be neat to have the ability to be able to craft your race's specific blocks and furniture, because it's annoying breaking down an Apex Lab or Avian Temple for their bricks. Then again, it is fun looting and pillaging those settlements, so I dunno.
As was mentioned already (woo, my pig avatar is memorable!) I'm working on a mod for this. I agree with what's been said: it shouldn't have to be a mod, and I think making more blocks/furnitures craftable probably is going to be implemented in the unmodded game. I'm sure Florans will be able to craft primitive furniture off the bat, for instance. But it's also probably not a big priority right now, so stuff like my mod is just a temporary fix while they work on other more important things.

That said, I do have plans for expanding the scope of the mod. I want to incorporate almost all racial and advanced furnitures, but I also want to leave out a few things that you'd only be able to get from dungeons, so that there's some decorative bonus for exploring those, like looting the huge avian wall statues and the like. The main questions that remain are how the slightly more generic recipes should get divided (for instance, a lot of the "Apex" stuff is really just modern/light-future stuff that's generic enough to go to anyone, like the default paneling in the spaceship), and how to disperse the recipes.
After all, I don't want non-Glitch to never be able to make Glitch furniture, but the question becomes how best to distribute it. I mean, maybe each race crafts their own starter recipe book, so they can trade them with friends? Play with an Avian and ask him to teach you the secrets of Avian furniture? It's just decoration so I don't want to make it a huge hurdle, but I want there to be at least some discrepancy between types. I could theoretically also add
Or if I don't want it to be [solely] player-craftable, I could add the books to certain merchant loot tables, once I figure those out. The new merge methods will hopefully make that possible without interfering with other things, so maybe visiting an Avian town will let you make the furniture yourself, instead of just grabbing it all when you get there. Especially since, in the near future, they won't look too kindly upon that.

Lots of details remain, but honestly at this point I'm still just slogging through all the furnitures (there's like 1000+, easily) to figure out what should be craftable, what race gets what, and what the recipes should all be. It's gonna be a long road. With the bricks and materials, I only had like 80 things I needed to work with.

Babe Magnet posted:

I've also seen at least one mod that lets you craft your race-specific furniture from the start.
Do you have a link? I want to see the scope of this and if it's worth doing my own version.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Yessssss :getin: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/april-fools-gag-gun-sounds.44371/

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I'm working on a mod for this.

I really dig the mod, the only small complaint I have is that all the new blocks really clutter up the crafting table list. The crafting decorations doesn't matter all that much to me since the 3D printer seems to work fine for all that kind of stuff, but if you do add in crafting for that I'd like to be able to craft any of the junk that appears in towns of your race and have blueprints be purchasable from stores in those towns like you mentioned. Maybe make crafting of the dungeon items use higher tier ore or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Speaking of crafting table clutter, is there any way to reverse the change they made and make the crafting menu automatically start with the search box in-focus?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think I've gone too far.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

Maybe very slightly, yes.

Edit: Actually, while we're on the subject, I've finally managed to get enough material for the species I'm doing that I might be able to manage an initial release in the next day or three. We'll see.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Babe Magnet posted:

You went the perfect amount of distance.

Too far would be if you made the statue's cup golden.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was debating that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
...do it :getin:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Space Rome would make their spaceships as absurdly grandiose as possible. Maybe it's not far enough. Put a fountain in there somewhere.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Babe Magnet posted:

Not far enough. Make the goblet golden.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Space Rome would make their spaceships as absurdly grandiose as possible. Maybe it's not far enough. Put a fountain in there somewhere.
They would've painted their buildings/statues too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zereth posted:

They would've painted their buildings/statues too.

Their paint burns up upon reentry.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Fantastic work, that is a Good Spaceship.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I really hope that, similar to the Florans, they don't actually "build" their ships but instead just steal other races' ships and glue statues to them.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Babe Magnet posted:

Their paint burns up upon reentry.

For the SPACE EMPORER. But seriously, I'm loving the work you're doing with these guys. They really look like Chucklefish has been working on them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks guys. I'll probably get around to tidying up some of the stuff that's bothering me RE: shading and stuff tomorrow. That thing's all I've been doing all day and I just want to do something else.

Tomorrow I'll probably get all their clothes in and begin on armor, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Outstanding work. Are the devs aware of your work? They should be.

• Locked thread