Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Their paint burns up upon reentry.

Half the goodness is the Game, the other half is oh my loving god you modders are amazing :allears:

And this is coming from a wierdo who tends to stubbornly stick with vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Fair enough.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Hopefully by the time you get around to writing Examine dialog they'll have added file merging support. :v:

Also I think the ship should be slightly more white. Space Rome would build ships out of solid Marble with Gold detail work.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Yeah I'm going to need that file merging business. I'm super psyched out modding these guys in, haven't lost my steam yet, but the real tedious stuff is coming up soon. Also I can edit color values tomorrow, I'll make a note of that and see how lighter looks tomorrow.

I usually stick with Vanilla-ish with my games, too. I don't install anything that feels too "cheat"-ey or changes the way the game actually plays too drastically. Mostly just content stuff for me.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Outstanding work. Are the devs aware of your work? They should be.

If they still read this thread (probably not likely?) then yeah they might be, otherwise the only other place I post these pictures is tumblr. I haven't even signed into the forums except to download reference mods. I'll probably post there eventually, but I want these guys to be more feature-complete first.

VVV Thanks! VVV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 19, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Babe Magnet posted:

^^^ Yeah I'm going to need that file merging business. I'm super psyched out modding these guys in, haven't lost my steam yet, but the real tedious stuff is coming up soon. Also I can edit color values tomorrow, I'll make a note of that and see how lighter looks tomorrow.

I must say, it's absolutely gorgeous spritework. I'm in awe. :swoon:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Cernunnos posted:

Hopefully by the time you get around to writing Examine dialog they'll have added file merging support. :v:

Oh god, just thinking about modding examinations and npc dialogue without that drives me to despair. They really, really need file merging.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That ship is a thing of beauty. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MShadowy posted:

Oh god, just thinking about modding examinations and npc dialogue without that drives me to despair. They really, really need file merging.

I felt writing one each for the stock races for my bonfire was despair-inducing (because I'm bad at writing non-Florans).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Writing the Glitch should be easy. Just be plain and factual, really get Wikipedia with it, and then put whatever emotion you need at the beginning.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Babe Magnet posted:

Okay, now you need to make a huge version of that, warhammer 40k style.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Writing the Glitch should be easy. Just be plain and factual, really get Wikipedia with it, and then put whatever emotion you need at the beginning.

Yeah, Glitch and Floran were easy, and the Humans weren't too bad either, but the others, cripes.

I still expect negative reviews on the mod just because the inspect dialogue isn't very good/isn't "dark souls enough". :ohdear:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It's weird. As a writer, myself, writing the examine text seems like it would be the most fun part.

I think the hardest to write would probably be either the Avians, since I don't really understand a lot of their lore and it's so integral to a lot of what they say.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Babe Magnet posted:

Example:
Unimpressed. This species has an unhealthy fixation with gold.
Shocked. The craftsmanship of their blade makes it comparative to glitch tech.
Irritated. The constant droning of water running is like buzzing in my head.
Dubious. Harnessing the dead seem primitive, even to the Glitch.

I enjoy writing glitch stuff. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mantizi are probably going have...

Sort of an... exaggerated Shatner-esque dialect. Short, simple - nay, descriptive. Spoken word.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just go watch the Rome series and go from there.
That is one seriously awesome ship, I can imagine it majestically descending through a planet's atmosphere while trumpets play.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've seen all of Rome and regard Spartacus as one of the greatest television shows to ever exist.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Are there still functioning coordinates for the rainbow cape?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Actually, while I'm thinking about it, I might as well run some general design ideas about these guys I'm working on past you lot, if you wouldn't mind terribly:

----

Soma-

Bipedal and humanoid, for obvious reasons; they'd have selectable hornstyles similar to Apex beards or Avian beaks, be partially covered in scales--mostly on their extremities (more akin to a Pangolin than a reptile, not that that will be depictable on a tiny little sprite) have claws/talons on their hands and feet, and maybe have a stubby tail, but that might be a bit too much of a pain to work in. I'd probably have it so that the horns and scales would be colored rather than their hair.

Soma equipment is generally a bit impractical. A general love of showing off, combined with a love of flashy whiz-bang stuff leads to visually impressive gear which, while not ineffective, is typically rather over designed. At high levels, some gear incorporates small force fields which provide a buffer against direct damage or something else if that's already taken by some other faction.

General visual aesthetic is going to be 80's sci-fi--no scratch that--bad 80's sci-fi with some old school pulp stylings and east asian fantasy elements thrown in and probably some additional whatever the hell I feel like.

Soma are best decribed, in terms of personality, as relentlessly enthusiastic. They are natural risk takers and are prone to wild flights of fancy. The general consensus is that they have the creativity and genius of many of the best minds of other races, and the forethought of a five year old. The species has never had a stable government of any kind, and are generally quite baffled by the idea that a government might last for more than like 20, 30 years tops. As such they don't quite grok entities such as the USMC USCM (which they commonly think means something like Uniform Serial Matrix Computing Computational Matrices -- which in turns leads to the ridiculous conflation that human prisoners are in fact human researchers driven to violence by their appalling working conditions.) The species loves research, discovery, and explosions. Boom!

Soma are essentially nomadic, driven in an endless quest of discovery by an almost insatiable curiosity. It is generally considered likely that the species will eventually filter out of the local cluster of the galaxy in pursuit of new unknowns in a few centuries.

The Soma worship trickster spirits generally called the Hiders, who according to Soma myth hid all knowledge in the world and challenged an ancient Soman Chieftan (each tribe claiming that said Chieftan was an ancestor of theirs) to the fulfill the impossible task of finding it all. Each tribe has their own set of Hiders they follow and venerate above the others, which in turn tend to shape that tribes area of expertise. Unlike some other mythical figures, the Hiders at least probably never really existed... maybe. Finding out for certain is especially impossible, but also a favorite boast of young and eager Soma braves. (<-- Probably could use a bit more fleshing out)

In terms of relationships:

Apex - Guarded: The general Apex populace isn't quite sure what make of the Soma, so they tend to be (very) cautiously optimistic. Soma and the Minikog have often come to blows, and in a few instances have even successfully driven off the Apex organizations enforcers. Which in turn leads to massive crackdowns as the Minikog reinforces the garrison; the Soma habitually fail to realize the scale of the problem and are typically long gone.

Avian (Grounded) - Sorta Friendly: The Soma think of the Avians as charming and cute. The Avians tend to think, correctly, that the Soma are dangerously reckless but at least not overtly hostile.

Floran - Ssstaaaaab Friendsss: Sssuper fun times for all! Sssoma agree with Floran! (External analysis suggests that this is something akin to a "freindly rivalry")

Glitch - Wearily. The Soma are nothing but trouble. The species, once discovering the Glitch, have become terribly interested in the mechanics of Glitch Self-Awareness. Educational. As a result, the species often troubles Glitch populations in an effort to determine the mechanism by which Glitch individuals may become Self-Aware, so far without success. Also, they smell.

Humans - Sorta Cool I Guess Hostile: Previously humans had had somewhat unstable but generally "okay" relations with the various Soma tribes they'd had contact with. Since the destruction of Earth, however, there's been a general glut of rumors that the Soma were responsible for the giant tentacle monster; after all, what other species of hugely irresponsible, impulsive, dubiously sane space mad-scientists/star barbarians are there out there?

Hylotl - Dismissive: Seems to sum up Hylotl relations with everyone though, so... Especially Dismissive: Soma are only a step above the Floran in Hylotl eyes; a reckless and dangerous species and entirely too fixated on technology. Also, their sense of aesthetics is terrible. Ugh, so 80's. Leg warmers? Puh-leeze. That jacket? A fashion disaster. That armored battled bikini? Oh come on. The less said about their work clothes the better. Soma, for their part, think Hylotl are hilarious.

----

So, yeah. Probably needs some work but I think the core concept is okay... ish.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 19, 2013

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
So they're living in all those "world of tomorrow" magazines from way back when? neat :sun:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
So I just made the robot boss and died fighting it. It seems to have despawned. Is that the case?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

MShadowy posted:

As such they don't quite grok entities such as the USMC (which they commonly think means something like Uniform Serial Matrix Computing)
It's USCM btw :ssh:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

joshtothemaxx posted:

So I just made the robot boss and died fighting it. It seems to have despawned. Is that the case?

Do you want the bad news or the super bad news?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Do you want the bad news or the super bad news?

gently caress. Oh well.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Derp. Wellp, doesn't particularly change things at least, but does make me feel dumber than usual.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

joshtothemaxx posted:

gently caress. Oh well.

You have to put together another robot to try again. Sorry buddy. Take this time to remember why he killed you, and make every effort to avoid your mistakes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

You have to put together another robot to try again. Sorry buddy. Take this time to remember why he killed you, and make every effort to avoid your mistakes.

Translation: cheese the fight and exploit the AI until the devs get further along in development and address the problems.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I've seen all of Rome and regard Spartacus as one of the greatest television shows to ever exist.

Make them speak like the Crier guy who reads the news. How you convert that to text, I don't know.

This Post brought to you by the Brotherhood of Millers. The Brotherhood uses only the finest flower; true Roman bread for true Romans.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I killed a big glowey platypus and got a club made of skeletons that launches energy balls that explode into bones.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
My robot was not robot-y enough for my tastes.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I've updated my flamethrower mod to version 2.0. When you kill aliens with it, they will now drop cooked alien meat. Should help ward off those hunger pains!

I've also posted it on the official mod forums as well here

Direct download link here because you guys are special like that :h:

edit: I'm also working on a gun that covers an area in toxic goo, but can't seem to get the recipe to show up for some reason

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 19, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Meat chunks would be more appropriate. :colbert:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Green Calx posted:

I've updated my flamethrower mod to version 2.0. When you kill aliens with it, they will now drop cooked alien meat. Should help ward off those hunger pains!

I wish the basic "on fire" status effect did that, now that you mention it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Are there any decent tutorials for this? Any of the Youtubers I've found are annoying as poo poo .

I'm finding myself overwhelmed with all of the possibilities.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Anyone know coordinates of a planet with an avian settlement near the beam-down spot?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm personally clinging to the hope that ships will get more and more garishly decorated as they get bigger. The biggest Floran ship should just outright have, like, giant flowers blooming on the top or something, covered spines and thorns (and maybe skulls on the thorns?????)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I loved MShadowy's Vagyr-esque ship, but I wanted a bigger one so I got started on a solidly frigate-sized one. Maybe I bit off too much. Oh well.

I don't think I'm going to make a custom race for it, but I'm hoping I can make a solid collection of ships and maybe create a rare dungeon that acts as a shipyard storefront of sorts. I'll have to see how ship upgrades are implemented in the future.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

He Who Wears Pants posted:

I just want to throw in and say that I love the look of the original picture you posted (is it from something, or just a sketch?) and have enjoyed watching this get churned out. If I had the pixel-art chops (and the time) I'd love to do something similar.

That said, from what I can tell by the shading on the original, it looks like the front-bottom is supposed to be rounded off, rather than squared as you have it. I think rounding that corner would make it look a bit more sleek. And yeah, I think a strip of shading or something along the entire bottom of the "cargo section(?)" would help give it the appropriate rounded look.

Slow reply (been distracted by War Thunder all day). Its a Vargr Tramp Freighter from the classic Pen and Paper RPG Traveller. And yes, I know the bottom is rounded, I haven't nearly finished the exterior detail/design. The prow area and the wings both have basically received no attention beyond quick and dirty panel lining.

If I ever get finished with it, I might go and do the classic Beowulf Class Type-A Free Trader, which is pretty much the signature ship of Traveller (or maybe thats the Suleiman Class Type-S Scout/Courier). The Beowulf has the advantage of having some excellent side view lineart I can use.

[edit] in fact, I suddenly am fighting the urge to set the Vargr Tramp aside for a bit and start working on the Beowulf...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 19, 2013

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Onion Knight posted:

I loved MShadowy's Vagyr-esque ship, but I wanted a bigger one so I got started on a solidly frigate-sized one. Maybe I bit off too much. Oh well.

I don't think I'm going to make a custom race for it, but I'm hoping I can make a solid collection of ships and maybe create a rare dungeon that acts as a shipyard storefront of sorts. I'll have to see how ship upgrades are implemented in the future.

Oh my god yes. This looks absolutely fantastic, and if you finish it I'm downloading it right away.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If I ever get finished with it, I might go and do the classic Beowulf Class Type-A Free Trader, which is pretty much the signature ship of Traveller (or maybe thats the Suleiman Class Type-S Scout/Courier). The Beowulf has the advantage of having some excellent side view lineart I can use.

Old-fashioned scifi like this is how I pictured the human vessel. The space RV just doesn't cut it in comparison.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Question for you people working on race mods: Sorry if it's been asked before or you've clarified, but do these add a new slot to the character select or do they replace an existing race?

• Locked thread