Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soral
May 30, 2009

shiksa posted:

Question for you people working on race mods: Sorry if it's been asked before or you've clarified, but do these add a new slot to the character select or do they replace an existing race?

The game is designed to accept content by just plugging poo poo in and pointing the game at the new stuff, so every single race mod I've taken a look at leaves all the vanilla races alone. Typically the modders include files to update the character creation screen to fit more races in. Amateur "racist" Babe Magnet has posted an image of his custom race in this very thread showing an edited character creation screen with room for a load of new races.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure other explorers might have found this out, but what's the with Activateable Banana statue in the Apex towns that has a keyhole in it?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure other explorers might have found this out, but what's the with Activateable Banana statue in the Apex towns that has a keyhole in it?

Obscure internet reference to Banana Lock.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's still no word on when the highly anticipated "home planet" patch will finally arrive, but I noticed no one posted this content teaser for more stuff that'll be included:

Logic gates and full wiring too, apparently.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

There's still no word on when the highly anticipated "home planet" patch will finally arrive, but I noticed no one posted this content teaser for more stuff that'll be included:

That pressure plate is gonna be fantastic for modding. Getting poo poo to trigger by contact with normal blocks, yes loving please.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Has anyone used the microphone yet? Holy smokes it's horrible. Pretty great to run around with on servers though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just finished taking apart an entire large sewer dungeon dungeon, foreground and background, and putting it into my pack because I wanted the blocks. Especially the pipes.

Took over 6 hours. :shepface: Gonna have to find a use for these, now.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

IronicDongz posted:

I just finished taking apart an entire large sewer dungeon dungeon, foreground and background, and putting it into my pack because I wanted the blocks. Especially the pipes.

Recreate a NES Mario level, obviously.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Vib Rib posted:

What i would really love to see is rails that you can put in the background and then have stuff like platforms and sentry guns move along them.
A tupe/pipe system like industrialcraft/redpower would also be great.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Onion Knight posted:

I loved MShadowy's Vagyr-esque ship, but I wanted a bigger one so I got started on a solidly frigate-sized one. Maybe I bit off too much. Oh well.

I don't think I'm going to make a custom race for it, but I'm hoping I can make a solid collection of ships and maybe create a rare dungeon that acts as a shipyard storefront of sorts. I'll have to see how ship upgrades are implemented in the future.

This seems more Hiigaran to me than Vagyr. Maybe it's just the solid colors and the white stripes. It still looks really cool, though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Vib Rib posted:

Wait so I won't have to make AND gates out of doors anymore?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

IronicDongz posted:

Now go mine poop blocks for another 6 hours.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I already mined all the poop and threw it away, there were only 248 blocks. :colbert:

I kinda wanna make some sort of underground chamber with pipes snaking all around a central hub, but I don't know which planet to 100% commit to making my home on. This one with an avian village is cute, but it's also T1 so I won't get any good ores mining this out.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Unless you just really really like tearing down blocks, I'd just get the trainer in the mods section and dupe everything. Too painful to tear down structures for materials.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
What is it with the golem or whatever it is that you find kicking around underneath some Glitch outpost?

I came across one of those tonight, the Glitch guarding it shouted "Hark! A vagrant!" when he spotted me. :allears:

So I slayed him without remorse and took his crown.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'd really like it if they'd improve drilling speed through harder blocks to make it feel less like that should be the right option. I hate using cheat mods, even if the purpose is not expressly for cheating.

My solution to harvesting unique blocks is lots and lots and lots of bombs. :frog:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, even with a diamond pickaxe and drill it takes forever to take structures apart.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I already mined all the pstrip mine.hrew it away, there were only 248 blocks. :colbert:

I kinda wanna make some sort of underground chamber with pipes snaking all around a central hub, but I don't know which planet to 100% commit to making my home on. This one with an avian village is cute, but it's also T1 so I won't get any good ores mining this out.

Keep your home planet beautiful, there's plenty other worlds to stripmine.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Reiley posted:

Keep your home planet beautiful, there's plenty other worlds to stripmine.

Plenty of other planets to become your home planet!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
In my opinion, you should have three criteria for a homeworld right now:

1. Giant planet
2. Tier 10
3. A biome/landscape/encounters that aren't incredibly loving boring or useless. I like being next to glitch or floran towns.

Once you get those things you can basically transition your endgame into Terraria until real content gets added in.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you're on a multiplayer server I think Tier 1s are the best home planets, that way all your friends can safely come and visit you!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The last tier of tech better have the ability to completely consume a planet :colbert:

It's us. We are the aliens who will devour everything for their delicious coloured dirt.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Screw homeworlds, build home ships with a free form mod and live amongst the stars!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mirthless posted:

My solution to harvesting unique blocks is lots and lots and lots of bombs. :frog:

I need to work on that saltpeter/bomb making mod, don't I?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Mirthless posted:

My solution to harvesting blocks was modifying rocket.projectile to point to rocketexplosion.config (it points by default to boring regularexplosion2.config). I then upped the damage of rocketexplosions to something reasonable for block destruction, like 150.0.

The rocket launchers suck as weapons anyway since they have weird hitboxes, so I made them useful for something.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wasn't there going to be a "Send to ship" function and your ship had infinite storage? Right now I feel like I need to stuff it with crates and lockers since I keep wanting to hoard stuff.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 19, 2013

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I hope they add the ability to plant new trees.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I hope they add the ability to plant new trees.

Pretty sure one of the devs confirmed this will be in the game eventually.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Reiley posted:

If you're on a multiplayer server I think Tier 1s are the best home planets, that way all your friends can safely come and visit you!

Not if I'm colonizing a meteorite, they can't. :getin:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Starhawk64 posted:

Wasn't there going to be a "Send to ship" function and your ship had infinite storage? Right now I feel like I need to stuff it with crates and lockers since I keep wanting to hoard stuff.

I don't remember seeing that, but I'd love something similar to Guild Wars 2's "Collection" pages for storing crafting materials. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a page accessible from a bank or crafting station that has most meaningful crafting items, and you can store up to 250 of each (well, 1000 of each now if you like spending cash). Even better, you can deposit no matter where you are in the game world from your inventory.

I somehow don't see this happening.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Rynoto posted:

The last tier of tech better have the ability to completely consume a planet :colbert:

It's us. We are the aliens who will devour everything for their delicious coloured dirt.
Like I like to tell people, Starbound is actually a game where you play as the aliens from Independence Day, going from planet to planet, consuming all the resources and killing the locals before moving on to the next.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Like I like to tell people, Starbound is actually a game where you play as the aliens from Independence Day, going from planet to planet, consuming all the resources and killing the locals before moving on to the next.

But with cute retro themed graphics, so it's totally okay.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Just caught up with the thread and figured I would chime in, we currently have 4 goon mods including myself on the official forums, it really is interesting how differently they view poo poo. The amount of reports for 'trolling' just because someone doesn't agree with you is staggering.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You must not have seen the post about the guy that got permabanned on the official forums because he kept starting threads complaining about anti feminism and because the mods told him to shut up about it he started ranting about them being feminist pigs or some poo poo.

The official forums are horrifying.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Metronomy just released their new music video, and it's very Starboundy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQS4oa-dgLY

I want that ship in my game :allears:. Also, the huge cats. Someone mod in huge bald cats, please.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

ViggyNash posted:

You must not have seen the post about the guy that got permabanned on the official forums because he kept starting threads complaining about anti feminism and because the mods told him to shut up about it he started ranting about them being feminist pigs or some poo poo.

The official forums are horrifying.

It would be more horrifying if the mods did nothing about it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Why are you doing all this crazy beautiful cosmetic poo poo when the shadow of another reset looms large?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sledra posted:

The amount of reports for 'trolling' just because someone doesn't agree with you is staggering.

Doesn't that occur here, too, to a lesser extent? Like, isn't there a note in the D&D rules explicitly about that?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are just a lot of people on the official forum. The official forum does have a lot of nice people and people making some really cool things, but with that many people you are always going to get some absolutely terrible people as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Eonwe posted:

There are just a lot of people on the official forum. The official forum does have a lot of nice people and people making some really cool things, but with that many people you are always going to get some absolutely terrible people as well.

Yeah, and it depends what subforum you try, too. I haven't ventured into the off-topic forum, but the modding forum is a pretty decent place. Different sort of crowd.

• Locked thread