Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I emailed support and they just gave me my purple OBW from the tournament. The system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there an order to the lightning rounds?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I would mail them to complain but my Obw is already at 3 purple so :shrug:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Ratatozsk posted:

Anyhow, I picked up some boosts against Doombots last night. Have I just missed those up until now, or are they a possible hint of upcoming PvE content?

I'm really, REALLY confused as to why the Doombot boost is even in the game. You NEVER fight Doombots outside the loving prologue. What a waste.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

seravid posted:

Is there an order to the lightning rounds?

It goes Hood, Doom, Loki, Magneto, Ragnarok. It usually ends with Magneto midday Thursday.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Bandire posted:

It goes Hood, Doom, Loki, Magneto, Ragnarok. It usually ends with Magneto midday Thursday.

Thanks. For some reason I always miss Ragnarok's rounds...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really cant be bothered with LRs anymore. Too much effort and scuffling.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I do 2 fight to reach 50 and get the standard roll and that's about it.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I really cant be bothered with LRs anymore. Too much effort and scuffling.

I feel the same way, and it's a shame that they serve pretty much exclusively to strengthen the players who already have powerful villains by rewarding them with more powerful villains. Obviously that's a smart approach from a business standpoint, since it's content that focuses on your whales and hardcore players.

But it really wouldn't be all that difficult to establish at the very least a desirable "2nd tier" where you don't need to have a Rag / Doom / Mag levelled up to make even a little bit of progress. Frankly, if they loosened the Heroic Token bracket even slightly, that would probably improve things given the sheer volume of players in competition.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ratatozsk posted:

I tried throwing a low level team into the SHIELD training with the hopes I'd get attacked left and right and then be able to reload my A-Team and rake in the Iso. The drop in level has been slower than I expected, despite Bagman being that team's power hitter.
SHIELD training is something done exclusively for the PvP ISO rewards, so it's more active when people aren't throwing themselves at Lightning Rounds, and the pool of opponents to participants is much larger so you're less likely to get picked anyway. I for one don't even evaluate the teams I'm fighting beyond "will this wipe me?" because it's non-competitive and skipping to find weak teams takes time I could be using to gain ISO.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bruceski posted:

I emailed support and they just gave me my purple OBW from the tournament. The system works!

I emailed and got mine too.

Also, they didn't take away the BW Modern purple, either. :getin:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Edit: Wrong thread

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

Chuds McGreedy posted:

To get some quick ISO: If you don't have the time/inclination to do a whole lightning round, you could play a few matches to get to 100 points. This gets you 390 ISO + 100 from the inevitable arrow stab Hawkeye you sell from your token at 50 points. 490 ISO + the 70/140 from each of the matches you do.

Then put in the guest villain and two unleveled characters and retreat from a battle, then go back to work or whatever. You'll get attacked a bunch putting you into the lower echelons of matchmaking for when you really do have time to play, then you whoop rear end and see less 112 Rags.
This is what I have been doing this week, and it' been working out wonderfully. Now all I face in the the lightning rounds are 1-stars that are sub level 20. It's great. Last week it was 112 Rags all the time which meant I needed boosts for every match and they took forever, but now it only takes a few minutes to get up to the 100 point level.

I even spent 400 HCs on my 30th slot just so I could recruit Bag-Man for this maneuver. (The Sandbag-Man?).

I wonder if this affects the other PvP arenas outside of the lightning rounds? I didn't see a single 112 Rag in the No Holds Barred tournament, and managed to get the 900 point reward and scored 2nd place.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
For whatever reason, the Hood rounds are always much fiercer than all the others.

I've Top 2'ed in Magneto and Top 8'ed in Ragnarok and Loki. Using the same basic team, I tanked Magneto and Ragnarok and played Hood seriously, and I just got knocked out of the top 100.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

bubbapook posted:

I feel the same way, and it's a shame that they serve pretty much exclusively to strengthen the players who already have powerful villains by rewarding them with more powerful villains. Obviously that's a smart approach from a business standpoint, since it's content that focuses on your whales and hardcore players.

But it really wouldn't be all that difficult to establish at the very least a desirable "2nd tier" where you don't need to have a Rag / Doom / Mag levelled up to make even a little bit of progress. Frankly, if they loosened the Heroic Token bracket even slightly, that would probably improve things given the sheer volume of players in competition.

But there's only so much to spend money on, and ISO is ridiculously overpriced (as are HP purchases, I guess). It seems like it would make much more sense to spread the 3-star covers out - then everybody has a few and might be tempted to spend real money maxing them.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Stickman posted:

But there's only so much to spend money on, and ISO is ridiculously overpriced (as are HP purchases, I guess). It seems like it would make much more sense to spread the 3-star covers out - then everybody has a few and might be tempted to spend real money maxing them.

That's what four stars are for; with megahuge A-listers like Wolverine :siren: wearing a dark suit :siren: and a Woman who can become Invisible, whales can't open their wallets fast enough :shepface:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Venom and Hawkeye's updates are out. Rip team eating Venom.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I only pulled off the team feast once yesterday with only two enemies standing, so I got a brief taste of the forbidden fruit!

I tried the tanking on the round before Doom and it worked great. I didn't start getting challenges until I was already in the top ten. The last ten minutes were annoying because even with boosts I couldn't crack #4 for the life of me. I was 3rd going into it. It's probably because I'm going with the Spidey/Wolverine/Doom team. I usually come out of each match all healed up, but that takes extra time. I got a Top 8 prize, so I finally got my first blue Doom and sold the extra black. All the ISO went to make Spidey level 70. Thanks to him, I can finally start swimming among some of the whales.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Gallow posted:

It's probably because I'm going with the Spidey/Wolverine/Doom team. I usually come out of each match all healed up, but that takes extra time.

Interestingly, do you find Spidey/Wolverine a better pairing with a villain than Spidey/Thor? I've been flip flopping and kind of ended up on Thor for the quick smashes, but I find I do miss those sweet, sweet strike tiles.

edit: seriously, screw D3 for leaving Bag Man as a 2-star, and not changing him at all after changing so many other characters. It's like he's in the Heroic deck as a nice little gently caress you to every player, every single time.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 19, 2013

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

bubbapook posted:

Interestingly, do you find Spidey/Wolverine a better pairing with a villain than Spidey/Thor? I've been flip flopping and kind of ended up on Thor for the quick smashes, but I find I do miss those sweet, sweet strike tiles.

edit: seriously, screw D3 for leaving Bag Man as a 2-star, and not changing him at all after changing so many other characters. It's like he's in the Heroic deck as a nice little gently caress you to every player, every single time.

I seem to always end up getting my Thor clobbered because he's always out front. Plus I don't want Thor making yellows and popping all my web tiles. I can get up to eight or so web tiles without Thor and heal for almost 2k! Besides, building up those web tiles quick is the key to survival because of stunlocking alone. I usually wait to six blue and can stun the whole team in a few turns. If everyone isn't stunned for four or five turns by the time the first enemy dies, I'm having a rough round.

One down side of pairing Wolvie with Doom is when I want to make attack tiles but the reds all got turned to strike tiles already. The most important thing for me right now is to have a tank that covers the blue matches for Spidey. Right now, that's either IM 40 or Doom for me.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Got up to second this morning with less than 30 minutes to go before I had to clock in for work with a 70 point lead over fifth. Check my phone on my break and dropped to top 50 reward. Is there even a reason to try in these things if you can't play the last 30 or so minutes?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you really want the 50th place reward or the iso from beating up dudes?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SynthOrange posted:

Venom and Hawkeye's updates are out. Rip team eating Venom.

Holy Christmas that Take Aim buff makes Hawkeye infinitely better. Tossing that out at the right time starts an insanely damaging cascade. I wish I had Magneto so I could stick the two together.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He still only has a max of 1320 hit points though. That's paper thin.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

He totally pairs with Bullseye now, though! Before it didn't work that well, because of the stupid AP cost, but now I'm actually going to keep a classic Hawkeye around. Hawkeye/Bullseye/Tank basically means "match purple, receive zero damage, deal 5000 damage"

And with Thor doing board churn...

E: Actually, juggernaut would be a way better board churn. Then you can funnel his red AP to Hawkeye for arrow stabs, and keep a solid 3500 hp tank up front. On a jungle board, it's scary as poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still, thats a team with 6k hit points total. Pretty fragile and not much room for error. Good idea for a Z-team tho.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm new, so right now my highest level guy is 31. This buff made my level 15 Hawkeye a viable substitute for either of my ~level 30 Storm/Widow

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Ugh I think I need to start tanking my rating. In the LR I keep getting matched against teams with lv100 Rags that win me 10 points. No way I'll be able to finish these rounds fast enough to get a good reward :smith:

Edit: They revised the NHB rewards! Rank 6-10 would get me a single but very useful green GSBW and 100HP that I could definitely use. But Rank 11-25 would get me all 3 colors of BWO (I need all of those for my collection) and it would be more useful in the here-and-now. But Grey Suit is a rare 3-star! But... black BWO cover! Now I don't know what to get.

Happy Bear Suit fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 19, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So, I was dubious of people's strategy of starting a lightning round then swapping in a poo poo bag man team and leaving to come back later, but holy crap did it work. I just came back to a round with 45 minutes left, rolled a bunch of guys and took 11th with my team of 15 hood/53 Spiderman/25 rag. If I had come back a few minutes earlier I probably could have got a little higher. Sadly, because it was a hood round, I probably would have been better with the token than the cover, but still way better than my previous best finish (top 25 vs top 100) playing the whole round.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Karnegal posted:

So, I was dubious of people's strategy of starting a lightning round then swapping in a poo poo bag man team and leaving to come back later, but holy crap did it work. I just came back to a round with 45 minutes left, rolled a bunch of guys and took 11th with my team of 15 hood/53 Spiderman/25 rag. If I had come back a few minutes earlier I probably could have got a little higher. Sadly, because it was a hood round, I probably would have been better with the token than the cover, but still way better than my previous best finish (top 25 vs top 100) playing the whole round.

What's the strategy? Play a match with your A team and then play with a bag man team?

What happens after? People don't want to fight bag man or he's good CPU controlled?

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

BDawg posted:

What's the strategy? Play a match with your A team and then play with a bag man team?

What happens after? People don't want to fight bag man or he's good CPU controlled?

I think in this case he just wants to get beaten so he can queue up a bunch of easy revenge battles for more points towards the end of the tournament.

Also, swapping out the A team for losers in a Lightning Round and losing the round on purpose means that you'll most likely be in a slacker bracket for the next round, as I pulled off last night. I tanked on Hood because Doom was next and I wanted his blue cover.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Just did the intentional tanking trick, got into the slacker bracket, came #25 and got black Doom :woop:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So help me out here.. Let's say I play a Lightning Round for a bit before bed, then put the game down. When I come back, I'm down 35 points on the No Holds Barred tournament overnight because I still have my level 15 Doom leading my group! What do I need to do at the end of the night to ensure I don't have a poo poo party protecting my precious points?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Does anyone know how the bracket generation works?

I did my first NHB fight this morning with 1 d 13 hours left in the event. I killed one team got 30 points and ended up in 1st place. The event had been going on for 11 hours at this point...

Did I just randomly end up in a brand new bracket?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

So help me out here.. Let's say I play a Lightning Round for a bit before bed, then put the game down. When I come back, I'm down 35 points on the No Holds Barred tournament overnight because I still have my level 15 Doom leading my group! What do I need to do at the end of the night to ensure I don't have a poo poo party protecting my precious points?

Are you sure that's the case? I'm pretty sure your last played team in that tournament defends you, otherwise you could be defending in a LR without a villain?

Sometimes even with your A-team defending you'll get whomped all the same. Way it goes.

Murgos posted:

I did my first NHB fight this morning with 1 d 13 hours left in the event. I killed one team got 30 points and ended up in 1st place. The event had been going on for 11 hours at this point...

Yup. Each tourney (except for LR's) has brackets between 200-1000 players, and you just land in whichever one has space when you complete your first fight. The slacker bracket approach is waiting right until the last second to try and land in a bracket with people who aren't really playing, but as that becomes more prevalent actually you end up with a bracket full of people sprinting for the finish. Seems like generally now it's just down to luck whether you get a slacker bracket or not.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 19, 2013

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Murgos posted:

You join brackets as you win your first fight, so you just joined a new bracket yes. There's one every 200 players I think in NHB

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

New Leaf posted:

Fight a HAMMER story mission with your best team. You'll take next to no damage because the opponents are all lvl 2-3 and will ensure your best team is in place.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I like when you come across someone who is clearly trying to tank. I saw someone running a minimum levelled team of Bag-man, Yelena and Classic Hawkeye

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

New Leaf posted:

The individual events keep track of the last team you completed a fight with and use that for defense. The next time you go to start a fight it will suggest the last team you used, but that does not necessarily represent your defending team.

Zero Star posted:

Fight a HAMMER story mission with your best team. You'll take next to no damage because the opponents are all lvl 2-3 and will ensure your best team is in place.

Thankfully this isn't necessary, otherwise there'd be no way to manage more than one ongoing event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Zero Star posted:

You don't need to do all that, your defending team is the last team you used in that particular tournament.

Link: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=242&p=1387#wrap