Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm kinda looking forward to my Chengdu life. It's a fresh start and I feel like I can live the uni life I didn't get to have first time round, do what I want learn my trade and generally be happier than ever! Gosh I can't wait!

whitepeople.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

To be fair here in the uk, any 'eve' is a working day. Suck though.

Right before Chinese New Year is also the biggest human migration event in world history, so it'd be nice to officially get some time in advance to actually go home.

Bloodnose posted:

Theoretically, private companies can still give their employees the day off. These are only the holidays they are required by law to give.

When I worked for a local company, they let employees go home an hour and fifteen minutes early on holiday eves.

So generous.

Yeah but you know Chinese companies would never do this.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm kinda looking forward to my Chengdu life. It's a fresh start and I feel like I can live the uni life I didn't get to have first time round, do what I want learn my trade and generally be happier than ever! Gosh I can't wait!

Man you're really going to fit in over here

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Don't listen to GrandFromage I'd much rather have a 150aqi day in China than Korea. Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Japan were all better than Seoul when the aqi was the same. I start feeling lovely when outside at around 70.

We did have a big coal cloud roll through though. I couldn't see some of the buildings in front of my apartment. It was bad for 2 or 3 days and gathered in the valleys making its way South. My friends school was in one such valley and he had never seen anything that wasn't vibrant there. It was fun seeing him 'uncomfortable'.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You get used to it. 140 doesn't bother me now but it did when I got off the plane. You also get used to the smell of poo poo. If you're a history buff, you can think of it as time travel! This is what cities smelled like before plumbing!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DontAskKant posted:

Don't listen to GrandFromage I'd much rather have a 150aqi day in China than Korea.

Well, you live in Seoul. Ulsan is the cleanest major city in Korea. :smug:

Ten years ago it used to be one of the dirtiest. And think about the US in like the 70s. It is a fixable problem if anyone bothers to put the effort into it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't know anything about Ulsan because I have been to Korea twice, and still haven't met Grand Fromage :qq:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

I wouldn't know anything about Ulsan because I have been to Korea twice, and still haven't met Grand Fromage :qq:

Come a day that isn't literally the only day the entire year where I absolutely couldn't cancel my plans. :argh:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have been to Ulsan and I have not met Grand Fromage. Ulsan is cool. So shiny at night.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

The Worst Muslim posted:

whitepeople.txt

Hey you're right! Being excited about big changes in life is an exclusively white privilege!

Stop being such a Debbie downer. Buy a ballon!

goldboilermark posted:

Man you're really going to fit in over here

It'll be fine. I'll fit just as well as a foreigner in any other country.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 19, 2013

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey you're right! Being excited about big changes in life is an exclusively white privilege!

Stop being such a Debbie downer. Buy a ballon!

Your naivety is cute.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

B-Rad posted:

Your naivety is cute.

I've been told I am a cutie! :v:

I've been to Chengdu twice in the last two years, place is pretty cool. Girlfriend's family are amazing, I'm sure my naïveté will lead to many wondrous misadventures!

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I've been to Chengdu twice in the last two years, place is pretty cool. Girlfriend's family are amazing, I'm sure my naïveté will lead to many wondrous misadventures!

China: come for the culture, stay for the cancer!

In all seriousness, though, it's good that you're excited. Living here will become mundane pretty quickly, in my experience, but that's not a bad thing.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You will be called cute multiple times a day, even if you are in fact loving ugly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You too will become a bitter and cynical China thread regular, Facepalm Ranger.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How many other countries have you lived in to definitively make this statement?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I have a 10 hours layover in Amsterdam on my way to Beijing... No way I'm staying in the airport.

The hotel HR booked us is the Somerset ZhongGuanCun, in Haidian District. Anybody been there, is it cool?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

How many other countries have you lived in to definitively make this statement?

Sorry I should have said, "I'll fit in as well as any other average Foreigner". Does that sentence work better for you as a generalisation rather than a statement of fact?

Also as a Scot living in England, you discover white folk are horrendously xenophobic of their own kind.

Jeoh posted:

You too will become a bitter and cynical China thread regular, Facepalm Ranger.

I'm fairly jaded, is that enough of a pass for now until I get to China?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Facepalm Ranger posted:

This is so cute... you don't have any clue at all as to the meaning of the word "jaded".

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Sorry I should have said, "I'll fit in as well as any other average Foreigner". Does that sentence work better for you as a generalisation rather than a statement of fact?

Also as a Scot living in England, you discover white folk are horrendously xenophobic of their own kind.

No true Scotsman would live anywhere but Henan! (guestbob.txt)

Also, your jadedness will level up considerably here because it will, perhaps metaphorically but definitely literally (ponder that), get covered in slime, soot, and choking dust...

...before lunchtime!

:china:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

This is so cute... you don't have any clue at all as to the meaning of the word "jaded".

I can see a cycle forming here. A very condescending cycle.

blinkyzero posted:

Also, your jadedness will level up considerably here because it will, perhaps metaphorically but definitely literally (ponder that), get covered in slime, soot, and choking dust...

...before lunchtime!

:china:

What a country! Sign me up!
gently caress the haters, I'm still looking forward to it.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 19, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Senso posted:

I have a 10 hours layover in Amsterdam on my way to Beijing... No way I'm staying in the airport.

The hotel HR booked us is the Somerset ZhongGuanCun, in Haidian District. Anybody been there, is it cool?

Schiphol is really close to Amsterdam (20 minutes by train), when are you flying over? I might be able to entertain you or something. No Yoda business.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

That's the right attitude. We're just getting the ritual hazing out of the way now because it's China and no one will remember to schedule it otherwise (until 5 minutes before it needs to happen).

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

blinkyzero posted:

That's the right attitude. We're just getting the ritual hazing out of the way now because it's China and no one will remember to schedule it otherwise (until 5 minutes before it needs to happen).

Do I get my very own membership card at the end of it, or is that just my residency permit? :v:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 19, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Do I get my very own membership card at the end of it, or is that just my residency permit? :v:

When you get excited amused that you took a solid poo poo and have not filled the bowl with what appears to be a fragrant curry dotted with things you do not recall eating... that shall serve as your membership card.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 19, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Jeoh posted:

Schiphol is really close to Amsterdam (20 minutes by train), when are you flying over? I might be able to entertain you or something. No Yoda business.

I'm landing in Beijing on Dec 30th at 10am. I'm not sure how much work I'll have to do, the planning for our trip is completely lovely. I might have to work 16 hours/day or not at all. If the latter, I will definitely want to go out. I'd like to see the nightlife and club scene and whatnot. Especially on NYE!

I'm in the wechat group (as Manu) but I didn't talk yet, you guys are intimidating with 800 messages per day.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

When you get excited amused that you took a solid poo poo and have not filled the bowl with what appears to be a fragrant curry dotted with things you do not recall eating... that shall serve as your membership card.

For me this didn't happen until after I left China. Now I make Bristol proud on the reg. :coal:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

Henan, the poor man's Skinflats.

In other news: my family has begun its annual Christmas goat exchange. Tearfund recently contacted us to say that we are collectivley responsible for 20% of the Feta currently being produced in Sub-Saharan Africa. Send them some olives too, maybe they can make a salad.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

GuestBob posted:

Henan, the poor man's Skinflats.

In other news: my family has begun its annual Christmas goat exchange. Tearfund recently contacted us to say that we are collectivley responsible for 20% of the Feta currently being produced in Sub-Saharan Africa. Send them some olives too, maybe they can make a salad.

gimme dat feta

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey man, just come on over. I root for all China newbies :china: Give me a visit in HK sometime. And if you got girlfriend/inlaw problems post here. I'm the model Filial Son and the darling of all Chinese parents. Keep your chin up, learn some Chinese and roll with everything. If things go bad :justpost: If things go good :justpost:

Do you have wechat? Join our wechat group, and maybe get PLECO Optical Character Recognition module.

The only thing you have to beware is that goons will try to give you constructive criticism and suggestions, but may be brutally honest and most likely call you a dumbass/idiot for getting things wrong. Everyone likes to say "WE TOLD YOU SO!".

And don't worry about TWM, he just feels gross about his previous enthusiasm in China. He still likes China and CN goons :china:

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 20, 2013

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

caberham posted:

And don't worry about TWM, he just feels gross about his previous enthusiasm in China. He still likes China and CN goons :china:

We were Darth Vader to his Ben Kenobi and he has become stronger than we could possibly imagine

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

tacoman165 posted:

We were Darth Vader to his Ben Kenobi and he has become stronger than we could possibly imagine

As long as I get to be Princess Leia.

I mean, Henan is pretty much Alderaan.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How in the world do you think the Wechat group would be even remotely helpful for anyone coming over here right now. You seem obsessed with that group, I can't figure out how in the world you can't see how horrifically awkward and cringe-inducing it is to any normal person who is not a complete...I don't know. I don't know what word to use here.

I've been over here for four years and that Wechat group made me want to leave China MORE THAN actual China. The goons, or whoever else some of those people are, that actually post there actually made me want to leave China more than the making GBS threads, spitting, lying, pollution, swearing, staring and straight up lack of manners of normal China. That's impressive.

Now that I'm off that boat I'm back to just sometimes disliking the making GBS threads and spitting and pollution, but those aren't as bad as they used to be, as I'm heading to Japan next week and then I have another business trip to the states in less than 5 months.

Bottom line: If Facepalm Ranger thinks people are being hard on him now, we will seem like a freakin' Disney Classic here compared to how that group interacts. I get it that it is a cute little community that seems to interact somewhat well together but it is certainly not for everyone and trying to get everyone to join that as they are fresh off the boat just seems like a really, really strange idea to me. That's all.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 20, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Caberham's the group administrator so he's drunk with power and wants more people under his thumb. That's my guess.

But yeah it's definitely not a place you wanna hang out if you don't have a thick skin and there's certainly no benefit to being there that you couldn't get by posting on the forums.

That said, if you're into black humor and wanna be super tight bros with a few very specific cliques of China goons, it doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

Also goldboilermark please explain the purpose of your Japan trip in the LAN thread and also answer my questions about your gf asap. Thanks in advance.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

goldboilermark posted:

How in the world do you think the Wechat group would be even remotely helpful for anyone coming over here right now. You seem obsessed with that group, I can't figure out how in the world you can't see how horrifically awkward and cringe-inducing it is to any normal person who is not a complete...I don't know. I don't know what word to use here.

I've been over here for four years and that Wechat group made me want to leave China MORE THAN actual China. The goons, or whoever else some of those people are, that actually post there actually made me want to leave China more than the making GBS threads, spitting, lying, pollution, swearing, staring and straight up lack of manners of normal China. That's impressive.

Now that I'm off that boat I'm back to just sometimes disliking the making GBS threads and spitting and pollution, but those aren't as bad as they used to be, as I'm heading to Japan next week and then I have another business trip to the states in less than 5 months.

Bottom line: If Facepalm Ranger thinks people are being hard on him now, we will seem like a freakin' Disney Classic here compared to how that group interacts. I get it that it is a cute little community that seems to interact somewhat well together but it is certainly not for everyone and trying to get everyone to join that as they are fresh off the boat just seems like a really, really strange idea to me. That's all.

It's just his little way of pretending that hong kong matters, well... that, and a whole bunch of people who are basically some twisted form of chinaboo that don't even live here. Doesn't change the fact that it's a pretty lovely group.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It was actually the Wechat group that was THE reason why I didn't go to the Goon Meet in Beijing. I always thought it would be fun to go to one of those at some point...and then I joined that group. Honest to God I tried to fit in for a while, but I just couldn't do it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I used to enjoy going to goon meets but then caberham kept making fun of my fedora so now I'm leaving the wechat group, hong kong and all the other yoda stuff behind because I don't like fun. I'm a grown rear end man, not a funhaver.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
On the other hand, it's where 90% of the Chengdu meets are actually organized, and basically becomes "Chengdu: It's a Nice City. Ribs?" when that happens, so then it's okay.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I regret never getting to meet any of the Chengoons. They sound like a fun group of well-adjusted people (with a yak obsession).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

My phone can't WeeChat so I want you kids to stop your goatsegnome and get off my lawn.