Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jackard posted:

Also I'm surprised you chose to have each deck only six blocks high. If you wanted to show more of the ship, just make it larger?

As stupid as it may sound, I find 6 block decks a more "realistic" ceiling height than the default ships. I guess most find them too small though? :v:

Anyways, Progress!

Just need to set up the cockpit, adjust the windows, neaten the top turret/dome and further detail/neaten the visible parts of the exterior a bit more and I honestly think I'll call this done. Oh, and figure out how to add objects that aren't part of the default ship (I want platforms in there and some of those Modern Sliding Doors in the top deck.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kikas posted:

For rock people I'd go for something like the WH40k Orkz, that they just keep on spreading. Bacsue you Can't Stop the Rock :downsrim:

I'd personally go in the other pun direction and make then music themed. Maybe they're hollow rock people and their inner cavity is great at resonating and amplifying sound, essentially turning their whole body into a musical instrument. Let's call then "Rokkers", because why not. The members of the species carve intricate holes and grooves into themselves as well as other body mods to to allow increased control over the air reverberating through their body, making them better musicians. When also playing an instrument they can do things with sound previously unheard of.

Their society is a purely talent-based system where the more talented you are, the more money you make, and the higher your social status. The recent boom in body mod development has kind of completely hosed up the system, though. Proper body modification is expensive, so there is now a rapidly increasing poverty gap as the rich families get better and richer while the lower classes flounder with little chance of surmounting the increasingly high barrier for entry into the "big time" Many poor Rokkers have perished or become permanently mutilated trying to self-mod or being suckered into shady black-market mod shops. The only hope one has now of breaking into the business is by a) being born a prodigy or b) waiting for a professional modder to give out charity mods; and The Glam Five (the current #1 Rokker band in the universe) has taken steps to ensure neither of those things will happen. At least, not legally, for the latter.

Rokkers' relationships with other species tend to be... strained. Being nothing more than consciousnesses in animate rock bodies, they lack any capability to see, perceiving the world purely through the ebb and flow of sound waves, in particular identifying living creatures by the sounds they make. Many members of a particular race tend to sound alike to Rokkers leading to the generally held belief that Rokkers are self-absorbed and mildly racist when the latter is not true and the former is true only, like, 75% the time. The only race Rokkers are are truly good terms with are the Avians, having an easier time distinguishing between their more melodious voices and finding them quite pleasing to listen to. Their least favorite race would have to be the Florans. Their scratchy, hissy speech rarely sits well with a Rokker's inner cavities.

I imagine the Rokkers having a Glam Rock aesthetic, with wild outfits and flashy lights and poo poo-tons of glitter. Their weapons would be styled off of musical instruments.

e: Holy poo poo I wrote a lot of words about something I don't have one iota of the talent needed to make reality. :saddowns:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 20, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As stupid as it may sound, I find 6 block decks a more "realistic" ceiling height than the default ships. I guess most find them too small though? :v:
Yup. You've kind of gone overboard with "realism" and drawn yourself into a corner:
  • interior barely fits within the ship background
  • impractically tight living spaces that hinder customization and make movement awkward
  • inconvenient and unattractive placement of ship functions
I'd suggest more thought on how actually playing with this ship would feel:
  • dont adhere so closely to the deck layout designed for another game
  • you could probably fit another ship function or two in an expanded cockpit
  • either reduce the interior to fit within the background or expand the background to accommodate the interior
  • replace the hardcoded floors with platforms
  • lower the teleporter into the floor
  • less doors everywhere

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 20, 2013

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

What if the rock race all talked like The Rock?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

I'm working on one, as it happens. Less rock and more gemstone, though. I'm tentatively calling them Geodes, though the name may be subject to change. (...)

(...)

Oh hell yes. That looks amazing; particularly fond of how they don't really have faces. Geodes is a good name. Geodudes is also acceptable. They have a terrible surfer accent and surf on solar winds all day. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Superstring posted:

What if the rock race all talked like The Rock?

The most electrifying pickaxe in ore excavation.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
TECH IDEA: Drone, When used with F it deploys a flying drone, the drone sports whatever gun or weapon you are holding when you pop it (pistol and flashlight for exploring? Grenade launcher and pistol? Rocketlancher?) and stops all energy regen. Taking damage or firing your weapon lowers its energy till it eventually winks out of existence, flying too far away from your player causes it to wink out of existence.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 20, 2013

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

TECH IDEA: Drone, When used with F it deploys a flying drone, the drone sports whatever gun or weapon you are holding when you pop it (pistol and flashlight for exploring? Grenade launcher and pistol? Rocketlancher?) and stops all energy regen. Taking damage or firing your weapon lowers its energy till it eventually winks out of existence, flying too far away from your player causes it to wink out of existence.

Make it a radar drone and have it light up areas of ore (with colors for rarity) and I'll take it. Craftable on the Robotic Crafting Table.

Because putting a copy of the gun I own on anyithng would break the game in half.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Motherfucker posted:

I would love to see drones like this. How would you control the drone though? Are you saying your character would be immobile while the drone flies? Or have some way to control aiming, drone movement and player movement at the same time?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

peepsalot posted:

I would love to see drones like this. How would you control the drone though? Are you saying your character would be immobile while the drone flies? Or have some way to control aiming, drone movement and player movement at the same time?

I was thinking immobile while the drone does its thing since its a tech.

I'd also be down for having a remote you can back into and out of at will and screwing the energy requirements in favor of some other requirement like crafting it from plutonium and rubite, I kinda want turrets and all sorts of baller techno-shite when I reach impervium.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 20, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kikas posted:

Make it a radar drone and have it light up areas of ore (with colors for rarity) and I'll take it. Craftable on the Robotic Crafting Table.

Because putting a copy of the gun I own on anyithng would break the game in half.

It wouldn't be a copy, it'd use your weapons, that way it wouldn't be useless as poo poo later like mech since its offensive abilities are tied to your own. The whole 'winking out of existence' thing is the drone returning to you weapons and all.

For instance if you are holding a sniper rifle and you drone up, your character would be left standing there fiddling with a remote while the sniper rifle in your hands is attached to the side of the flying drone. Try it with a pistol and a flashlight, drone takes off with a pistol on one side and a flashlight on the other, both slaved to your cursor for aiming purposes while WASD control where you fly.

edurt:

Why are you guys asking me how they work, I'm just having a stupid loving idea about a hypothetical feature :psyduck: Your assertions and suggestions are just as valid.

Edumb:

Also: Ore scanner based off flashlight, lights up ores in a cone in front of it but doesn't illuminate anything else.

I'm suggesting all this crap because there is hintings of future tech to come, when fighting robot enemies they occasionally drop copper wires and circuit boards for instance.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 20, 2013

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So what exactly is up with

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

Looks like Seamonkies.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Have a floran inspect it for a joke.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

IronicDongz posted:

Who cares just smash them for their sweet sweet loot filled insides

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

peepsalot posted:

Who caresss just sssmash them for their sssweet sssweet loot filled insidesss

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

They're a thing that happens underground sometimes, maybe they'll expand on them some time?? As it stands they're basically 'plants' right now. You can smash them for pixels.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Those houses need little blood effects and screams when you smash them for extra :gonk:

Soral
May 30, 2009

*grips my throbbing stardude bonehammer with both hands* :gizz:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Tried dropping a suggestion to the devs to do something about getting "double-tapped" and instagibbed with one pixel tall lava (basically invisible if there's glowing lava nearby so I've found it irritating doing deep exploration) and it developed into a spergy argument about what would really happen if someone dipped their toe in lava, as well as the "if anything it should do more damage and be even harder to see. I am awesome at games. Love me, love me!".

Never go on official game forums.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!

Soral posted:

*grips my throbbing stardude bonehammer with both hands* :gizz:
I use this for digging underground. 1 or 2 hits and you can free shitloads of ore.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Cicadas! posted:

I'm working on one, as it happens. Less rock and more gemstone, though. I'm tentatively calling them Geodes, though the name may be subject to change. They evolved to sapience under a strange sun waaaay on the uncharted rear end-end of the universe, untouched by any other intelligent life until a human escapee crashlanded on their little dirtball. They're made up of formations of rocks and gemstones held together in a vaguely humanoid fashion by a low level magnetic field, and their brains/cores are enormous crystals that function as advanced fiber optics networks, saving information as light patterns. They can also project light patterns to communicate, and I'm hoping to work some sort of light-bending racial tech in somewhere.

Unfortunately for the Geodes, their cores make them very valuable for all the wrong reasons, and they're viewed as a resource rather than a sentient race proper by the rest of space. Word was spread of their qualities by the escapee, after they helped fix his ship, and they were driven away from their homeworld by headhunters, forced to live in small, nomadic colonies to avoid discovery. Some geodes even turn to the dark side, and use their connections to hunt down their fellow gems, becoming something like black market barons.

All of their starting clothes and much of their armor are long, large, or otherwise billowing garments to better hide their form. I'm thinking their ship will be a sort of just-lifted-out-of-the-ground cave looking thing, interspersed with gems and a big old gemstone in the center of it that projects an overlay hologram of their home planet's environs over the ship when active, so they can take their home with them wherever they go. That's about as far as I got, though. Sorry for the tl;dr effortpost, I'm just kind of exited about the project.

e: Where is my brain, here is a picture. Male on the left, female on the right. Colors do not represent final product.
Excellent. I was sort of thinking about having a go myself but you're further along building the lore. I got about as far as calling them "Lapids" (short for lapidary) which you can use if that sounds OK to you.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Kikas posted:

Basically turn it into a spelunker potion but like technological.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Has anything been addressed regarding mechs? They're cool but kinda useless and I'd like to see a lot
more in regards to vehicles or at least letting mechs be tiered/upgraded. Getting a mech on a T10 planet (finally) that does 10 damage a shot and walks slow as poo poo is pointless when I can blink around the screen and fire off 5k one shots that split/ or just use an AR hitting for hundreds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So, hold on a minute. Is there really currently no way to drop/place just one of the items in a stack? I can't find out how but that doesn't seem possible.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Right click?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That just splits a stack in two.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
If I remember correctly, holding the stack on your cursor and right clicking on an empty inventory slot should do the trick.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I ate an apple pie and it set me on fire. :saddowns:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

Excellent. I was sort of thinking about having a go myself but you're further along building the lore. I got about as far as calling them "Lapids" (short for lapidary) which you can use if that sounds OK to you.

Please don't cancel any plans on my account. There's no reason to stop working on an idea that someone else is dabbling in, especially when it would be something to stand out against the imminent horde of animal people. Frankly I think inorganic races are an idea that is kind of overlooked, and I'm sure that the Geodes, or whatever I end up calling them, could use the company in the cold vastness of space. Heck, dijon du jour already pitched a great idea in Rokkers that's completely different from what I'm up to. So, go for it, dude.
Also that's a good name, build on it. Brings to mind some race of incredibly skilled and meticulous craftsmen that people go to when they want things done as finely as possible, like dwarves are sometimes represented. The name alone makes it sound like they would be super-fancy and high-class.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

NightVis posted:

Tried dropping a suggestion to the devs to do something about getting "double-tapped" and instagibbed with one pixel tall lava (basically invisible if there's glowing lava nearby so I've found it irritating doing deep exploration) and it developed into a spergy argument about what would really happen if someone dipped their toe in lava, as well as the "if anything it should do more damage and be even harder to see. I am awesome at games. Love me, love me!".

Never go on official game forums.
More like, drop feedback like this on the Goonbound section of the forums.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Miijhal posted:

I ate an apple pie and it set me on fire. :saddowns:

The fire is actually a good thing. It does no damage, looks cool, and creates quite a bit of light. I think all the desserts and some of the other foods do that.

I made 100 pineapple upside-crown cakes and holy poo poo was that ever a good idea. Protip: when you find a food merchant, buy 100 of everything and stash it all on your ship. Being able to periodically go through your recipes, grab some ingredients, and slap together 100+ Ultimate Mega Stimpacks is loving amazing.

In other news, I found the Butterfly Boost yesterday and oh my god everything is glorious now.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Butterfly Boost is basically the One True Tech

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Exodee posted:

If I remember correctly, holding the stack on your cursor and right clicking on an empty inventory slot should do the trick.
Whenever I do this, it just places half the stack. :shrug:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Indecisive posted:

Butterfly Boost is basically the One True Tech

No kidding.

- Butterflies :buddy:
- Full, uninterrupted directional control in mid-jump or freefall
- Unlimited activation and reactivation as long as energy is available
- Fast as hell
- Motherfucking fabulous

It took me about three seconds to get used to not having energy dash on. Then I discovered an Avian village and flew gracefully over their rooftops serenading them with Moonlight Sonata on acoustic guitar, surrounded by rainbows and butterflies. After that I tried to bring the beauty of my magic to a Glitch castle on a world made of bones, but the knights there had no love of music and attacked me, so I destroyed them and flew around some panicked robo-noble farting out rainbows and pixie dust and jamming the A-team theme while he ran in circles calling for the guards (which would never come (because I killed them with my diabolic fey magic)).

I'm never going back. Never

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 20, 2013

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Man, I really wish I had started farming earlier. Apex starts with wheat and banana seeds and a recipe for banana bread, which takes 2 wheat and 1 banana. Both bananas and wheat are done in 10 minutes, so I can make a shitload of banana bread. The bread heals me to 100% and gives me a 20 second super speed buff, and it seems like it buffs my jump height as well. So brokenly powerful for as easy as they are to make.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The fire is actually a good thing. It does no damage, looks cool, and creates quite a bit of light. I think all the desserts and some of the other foods do that.

Yeah, it's a placeholder visual effect for the 'sugar rush' effect that deserts give you.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

harskarenjag posted:

I began thinking my game was bugged because I had gotten over 200 inferior brains before I finally got the drop I needed. I was so loving angry and ready to quit the game.
Thank goodness someone else had the same luck I did. I was up past 190 when one finally dropped. 7% my rear end!

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Cicadas! posted:

I'm working on one, as it happens. Less rock and more gemstone, though. I'm tentatively calling them Geodes, though the name may be subject to change. They evolved to sapience under a strange sun waaaay on the uncharted rear end-end of the universe, untouched by any other intelligent life until a human escapee crashlanded on their little dirtball. They're made up of formations of rocks and gemstones held together in a vaguely humanoid fashion by a low level magnetic field, and their brains/cores are enormous crystals that function as advanced fiber optics networks, saving information as light patterns. They can also project light patterns to communicate, and I'm hoping to work some sort of light-bending racial tech in somewhere.

Unfortunately for the Geodes, their cores make them very valuable for all the wrong reasons, and they're viewed as a resource rather than a sentient race proper by the rest of space. Word was spread of their qualities by the escapee, after they helped fix his ship, and they were driven away from their homeworld by headhunters, forced to live in small, nomadic colonies to avoid discovery. Some geodes even turn to the dark side, and use their connections to hunt down their fellow gems, becoming something like black market barons.

All of their starting clothes and much of their armor are long, large, or otherwise billowing garments to better hide their form. I'm thinking their ship will be a sort of just-lifted-out-of-the-ground cave looking thing, interspersed with gems and a big old gemstone in the center of it that projects an overlay hologram of their home planet's environs over the ship when active, so they can take their home with them wherever they go. That's about as far as I got, though. Sorry for the tl;dr effortpost, I'm just kind of exited about the project.

e: Where is my brain, here is a picture. Male on the left, female on the right. Colors do not represent final product.

A post this great doesn't deserve to be on the tail end of a page, I really want to play as one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

IronicDongz posted:

Whenever I do this, it just places half the stack. :shrug:
In that case I'm probably confusing this game with Minecraft. :v: I hope they'll add the functionality in, at least.

• Locked thread