Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Cicadas! posted:

I'm working on one, as it happens. Less rock and more gemstone, though. I'm tentatively calling them Geodes, though the name may be subject to change. They evolved to sapience under a strange sun waaaay on the uncharted rear end-end of the universe, untouched by any other intelligent life until a human escapee crashlanded on their little dirtball. They're made up of formations of rocks and gemstones held together in a vaguely humanoid fashion by a low level magnetic field, and their brains/cores are enormous crystals that function as advanced fiber optics networks, saving information as light patterns. They can also project light patterns to communicate, and I'm hoping to work some sort of light-bending racial tech in somewhere.

Unfortunately for the Geodes, their cores make them very valuable for all the wrong reasons, and they're viewed as a resource rather than a sentient race proper by the rest of space. Word was spread of their qualities by the escapee, after they helped fix his ship, and they were driven away from their homeworld by headhunters, forced to live in small, nomadic colonies to avoid discovery. Some geodes even turn to the dark side, and use their connections to hunt down their fellow gems, becoming something like black market barons.

All of their starting clothes and much of their armor are long, large, or otherwise billowing garments to better hide their form. I'm thinking their ship will be a sort of just-lifted-out-of-the-ground cave looking thing, interspersed with gems and a big old gemstone in the center of it that projects an overlay hologram of their home planet's environs over the ship when active, so they can take their home with them wherever they go. That's about as far as I got, though. Sorry for the tl;dr effortpost, I'm just kind of exited about the project.

e: Where is my brain, here is a picture. Male on the left, female on the right. Colors do not represent final product.

My word, that's some beautiful work! Excellent use of your pixel space thar.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these crystalline fellows in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CapnBry posted:

Thank goodness someone else had the same luck I did. I was up past 190 when one finally dropped. 7% my rear end!
All your luck was taken by people like me who dropped one with the first kill we got. :smug:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This is realy weird, when there was a wipe threatening my character saves with every patch I wanted to play and explore as much as I can... now that I know there is probably only one big one coming I can't get myself to play until said wipe. What's wrong with me?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Feindfeuer posted:

This is realy weird, when there was a wipe threatening my character saves with every patch I wanted to play and explore as much as I can... now that I know there is probably only one big one coming I can't get myself to play until said wipe. What's wrong with me?

Same with me.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
So how far along is this game? In what "stage" is the beta according to that link in the OP?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Average Bear posted:

So how far along is this game? In what "stage" is the beta according to that link in the OP?

Still stage 1. I'm pretty sure the OP will be clearly indicated when stage 2 starts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'd be surprised if Starbound hits V1.0 within the next six months, if you compare what we've got now to that list of things they're planning to add. This first beta phase is likely to be the longest, as they're going to be adding major gameplay elements and figuring out at least basic balance for them.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I have a copy of Starbound to give away on Steam, and I'm running a small contest for it here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596226

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

The beta has only been out for a couple of weeks. It will probably be a couple of more months at the very least before it's out of stage 1.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dominic White posted:

I'd be surprised if Starbound hits V1.0 within the next six months, if you compare what we've got now to that list of things they're planning to add. This first beta phase is likely to be the longest, as they're going to be adding major gameplay elements and figuring out at least basic balance for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The beta has only been out for a couple of weeks. It will probably be a couple of more months at the very least before it's out of stage 1.

That said, it's a surprisingly robust and coherent beta. There are some weird bugs and places where content is obviously missing, but it plays like a rough-around-the-edges but charming indie release as opposed to a game still under heavy development. If you're eager to play it and want to contribute input to the course of its development, I'd say it's worth buying now. You'll still own it when beta's finished :)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

metasynthetic posted:

I have a copy of Starbound to give away on Steam, and I'm running a small contest for it here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596226

Welp I was going to do this for another copy of the game to gift but good lord have some of the entries been hilarious.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Angry Diplomat posted:

That said, it's a surprisingly robust and coherent beta. There are some weird bugs and places where content is obviously missing, but it plays like a rough-around-the-edges but charming indie release as opposed to a game still under heavy development. If you're eager to play it and want to contribute input to the course of its development, I'd say it's worth buying now. You'll still own it when beta's finished :)

They really nailed down the core of the game. Everything now seems to be a matter of balance and content creation which is nice and suits the public beta model.

A good early release game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just saw on the Starbound reddit:

And this happened, so this might very well be a thing!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

Just saw on the Starbound reddit:

Tiy is probably the coolest developer that ever existed. I hope they make many, many more games once Starbound is finished.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
These devs are awesome for doing stuff like that.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

That is loving awesome. You could make some serious networks between cities/excavation sites like that.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

I'm working on one, as it happens. Less rock and more gemstone, though. I'm tentatively calling them Geodes, though the name may be subject to change.

e: Where is my brain, here is a picture. Male on the left, female on the right. Colors do not represent final product.

This is outrageous.

This is truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Can't wait to see them.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So how do you cook advanced stuff, I've not found any cooking furniture that has more than one space for ingredients.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I added these awful garments to my Star Trek mod. :gonk:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/star-trek-tng-uniform.84/

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Geokinesis posted:

So how do you cook advanced stuff, I've not found any cooking furniture that has more than one space for ingredients.

Use your crafting table to make a cooking table. You will need wood and copper.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

IronicDongz posted:

As if this game/Chucklefish wasn't awesome enough. :swoon:

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
The skyrails thing is definitely getting added to the next update. https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/414093816702828544

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Geokinesis posted:

Craft a cooking bench (like a crafting bench). Find recipes on bookshelves in various locations to increase the range of food to craft.

Also, despite never playing infinite, that rails integration is TOTALLY going to be part of my space bases. Holy.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's funny, they kinda took things a step further than Bethesda in terms of going whole hog into modding. Although they'll need to be careful with integrating player ideas into the vanilla game, they could get themselves into hot water with some sperglords raising a hissy fit about MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY :qq:

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

It's funny, they kinda took things a step further than Bethesda in terms of going whole hog into modding. Although they'll need to be careful with integrating player ideas into the vanilla game, they could get themselves into hot water with some sperglords raising a hissy fit about MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY :qq:

I think the early steps they've already taken to be way more awesome than mojang/bethesda puts them in clear water of spergs like that. Besides, I would hope that someone wouldn't get their panties in a knot over their cool idea being added to a base game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arkitektbmw posted:

Besides, I would hope that someone wouldn't get their panties in a knot over their cool idea being added to a base game.

Oh, they'd get them in a knot. They'd get them in a knot and expect to be compensated for it with real life money (because they're morons).

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Oh, they'd get them in a knot. They'd get them in a knot and expect to be compensated for it with real life money (because they're morons).

I hope they stay in MC-land.

I hope the goons in process of making really cool poo poo here are approached with the same intentions. I'd love to see goon-made content in this game.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Why do I get this really crazy feeling that making the game SO open to modding is their true intent on early access? Because hot drat if it isn't a good loving idea. The face that RACES can be added into the game blows my mind sky high and everything else is just the icing on the cake.

This is REALLY turning out to be an outstanding game from already high expectations. I shudder to think what else will make it into the game (skyrails begets mass transit probably, imagine a gigantic goon metropolis with skycockers and monorails flying all over the whichway).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CJacobs posted:

Starbound devs seem savvy enough to laugh away those chucklefucks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Zenzirouj posted:

I think they are doing a great job so far, and honestly, the only thing they need to do to keep themselves clear is make a modder sign a document, at the worst.

I've absolutely fallen in love with this game so far. It is pretty much everything a randomly generated open world game should be, and it isn't even finished development.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

FraudulentEconomics posted:

This is REALLY turning out to be an outstanding game from already high expectations. I shudder to think what else will make it into the game (skyrails begets mass transit probably, imagine a gigantic goon metropolis with skycockers and monorails flying all over the whichway).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I think they are doing a great job so far, and honestly, the only thing they need to do to keep themselves clear is make a modder sign a document, at the worst.

I've absolutely fallen in love with this game so far. It is pretty much everything a randomly generated open world game should be, and it isn't even finished development.

I imagine that's exactly what went down in IRC (since Tiy asked the person working on it to "come have a talk").

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, I'm almost done with my Type-A Free Trader.

Just need to draw the drive nozzles and we're good.

[edit] Oh and figure out how to add some different doors and platforms.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 20, 2013

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For what it's worth, I really, really like this. Getting into the very top compartment looks like it'll be a pain, but other than that I think the shorter decks look great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Paradoxish posted:

For what it's worth, I really, really like this. Getting into the very top compartment looks like it'll be a pain, but other than that I think the shorter decks look great.

Nah, I tested that, its not hard to get up there. It'll be even easier once I put some platforms between decks.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I am actually incredibly impressed by all of the modders so far(ok, not all, some are just horrible and that is to be expected)
Galaga, your ship looks awesome, I can't wait for it to be finished.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

- Experimenting with smaller figurehead
- More texture detail on figurehead
- touched up bas relief
- cool racing stripe to break up flat grey exterior

Next on the agenda: finish codexes, add a bunch of names, and get to work on clothes maybe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think the most impressive part of this whole development process is how responsive they've been to their audience. On top of adding new stuff at a pretty quick pace (monster capturing, for instance) they always throw into each patch stuff that the players have been clamoring for. Weapons not balanced? Patch them. UFO too strong? Tweak it. No reason to dig? Expand underground biomes and rebalance deep ore. No drive to make a home base? Add "warp to home" button. Ships too small? They're already working on ways to make them bigger. There's lots of other features they worked on in immediate response to player complaints, but I can't recall them all off the top of my head.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I think the most impressive part of this whole development process is how responsive they've been to their audience. On top of adding new stuff at a pretty quick pace (monster capturing, for instance) they always throw into each patch stuff that the players have been clamoring for. Weapons not balanced? Patch them. UFO too strong? Tweak it. No reason to dig? Expand underground biomes and rebalance deep ore. No drive to make a home base? Add "warp to home" button. Ships too small? They're already working on ways to make them bigger. There's lots of other features they worked on in immediate response to player complaints, but I can't recall them all off the top of my head.

Sadly this pendulum swings the other way, too ("it's too 'easy' to fly around!" results in wood no longer being available for fuel and the joke 10:1 wood:coal ratio), but it's way more rare, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Oh and figure out how to add some different doors and platforms.

Could you make a version where the rear-mid two rooms have no floor splitting the bottom area and the mid-level? As a large, cargo space type thing for the pilot to rebuild as needed? I'd fly the hell out of that.

• Locked thread