Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

MShadowy posted:

Yeah, ideally I want people to have fun with this and would really rather not burden anyone with any hypothetical personal issues that I may or may not have.

And I will strive to make things as Metal as possible! Probably more Hair/Glam than the properly brutal dark metal death metal metal metal.

Well, I... thanks. Not much else I can say to that.

A number of the existing races have rebel or under/over-class factions of some sort, a black metal theme could maybe work for one here. I dounno.

IronicDongz posted:

Just saw on the Starbound reddit:

And this happened, so this might very well be a thing!

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdYUOSrIfe8&t=340s was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Sadly this pendulum swings the other way, too ("it's too 'easy' to fly around!" results in wood no longer being available for fuel and the joke 10:1 wood:coal ratio), but it's way more rare, at least.
But I actually agree with this change.
I don't think it's the case of the pendulum swinging the other way so much as it is simply not agreeing with every change. And hey, that's fine too, because modding is so easy I could turn wood back to fuel in about ten seconds.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
I'm currently in Beta sector (Threat level 2) and looking to move to the next threat level but don't know how. Anyone further that knows how?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MShadowy posted:

And I will strive to make things as Metal as possible! Probably more Hair/Glam than the properly brutal dark metal death metal metal metal.

Essential research:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

Essential research:

Well, I have it on Steam, so convenient, that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Even better! One of my favorites.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Is there a version of the Homesick mod for the current update?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pound_Coin posted:

Is there a version of the Homesick mod for the current update?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqc4ekn9n4l1q19/Homesick%20E.rar
Hopefully this should work. Let me know if it doesn't. It's the same as before, but the concrete recipe's fixed and it's got a modinfo file for the new system. Just extract it to your /mods directory.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Vib Rib posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqc4ekn9n4l1q19/Homesick%20E.rar
Hopefully this should work. Let me know if it doesn't. It's the same as before, but the concrete recipe's fixed and it's got a modinfo file for the new system. Just extract it to your /mods directory.

Thanks a lot, appears to be working fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DreadNite posted:

I'm currently in Beta sector (Threat level 2) and looking to move to the next threat level but don't know how. Anyone further that knows how?

Build a robot, murder it for it's components then build a robot table.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Improbable Lobster posted:

You know, it does make me wonder how a robot you built yourself could contain more than you put into it.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Vib Rib posted:

You know, it does make me wonder how a robot you built yourself could contain more than you put into it.

They're evolving. :tinfoil:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Johnny Five wasn't built with an emotion chip, so naturally the thing to do is to disassemble him to find out exactly how he works, then use the components to build better weapons.

This game has a morally worse protagonist than Spec Ops The Line.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also essential research is Vice's True Norwegian Black Metal.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're welcome.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Great, thanks. On an unrelated note, is there a hotkey to send unwanted items to your trash?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

More like...

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Does anyone else have a problem with this game and Optimus GPU switching? Optimus refuses to switch to the dedicated GPU when I play Starbound which fucks the framerate to hell.

Forcing it through the nVidia control panel doesn't work either, it just switches right back after a few seconds. Anyone have a solution before I throw this loving laptop out the window?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apologies but I've been MIA for thousands of posts... Do we know when the next big patch and/or wipe is expected? (Exactly or roughly?)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Feenix posted:

Apologies but I've been MIA for thousands of posts... Do we know when the next big patch and/or wipe is expected? (Exactly or roughly?)

One time Tiy said they try to test on thursday for a patch for friday, but obviously that didn't happen this week so no, no ideas. Well... they did say they wanna patch in a new tier ever 1-2 weeks, and it's been a week since the last patch. So hopefully not much longer than a week? Or tomorrow. :D

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Feenix posted:

Nope!

But it should be the last wipe, if things go according to plan.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What the... I just found a slime biome underground and got attacked by a giant white blood cell. :psyduck:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

If I live on a moon world, do I have to wear the winter clothes forever?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pound_Coin posted:

If I live on a moon world, do I have to wear the winter clothes forever?

You could put heaters in your home/base.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Just saw on the Starbound reddit:

And this happened, so this might very well be a thing!

Of course he he's got a fedora, why wouldn't he?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dez Orwell posted:

Bird-boys have swag, Bird men have class:smugbird:

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
That is an awesome site. Thank you. o_O

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Dez Orwell posted:

That's not a fedora. :colbert:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Awesome.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm not waiting for "major update" so far as I'm waiting for HOMEWORLD TELEPORT, and expecting another case of "We managed to avoid a wipe, but you need a new character for these new mechanics to kick in". Which to be fair is still better than a full wipes.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, I'm almost done with my Type-A Free Trader.

Just need to draw the drive nozzles and we're good.

[edit] Oh and figure out how to add some different doors and platforms.

I think this looks nice, and the larger ship space overall means that (unless they add important stations too tall for such a ship) you don't NEED the twice as tall as a person situation so you fan loving fit a single chest on top of a Furnace, Crafting table, anvil, cooking table, etc.

God I can't wait until "wall" items like banners and the tiny light strips for legit ships are true background items. You can't place floor objects like the pixel converter if there is a banner on the wall, or a treasure chest on a platform by the ceiling if there is a light in the way. Go ahead, move one of those lightstrips (you can even remove them with a pickaxe in vanilla) to crafting station height and try to put down a crafting station or bed, or anything. You can't.

THIS, should be your main concern with low vertical space. For the moment it seems like each station only takes up as much physical height as the player at most (like the pixel compressor and ore refinery) so your ship should be fine, but that could change.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

Forcing it through the nVidia control panel doesn't work either, it just switches right back after a few seconds. Anyone have a solution before I throw this loving laptop out the window?

You probably need to figure out how to force it on the actual game exe and not the launcher.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I remember someone mentioned it, but I'm having trouble finding it now, but there is a way to take your world files, save them, then shove them back in the right folder to get back to your world, right? Because that sounds like exactly what I want to do even if it means no new stuff on my home planet.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You know I'd dig something like those sky rails except instead of the player traveling on them you have platforms that work as 'lifts' (although really capable of moving in any direction). Wire compatible of course.

Red input moves to the next 'station' block, purple to previous.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 21, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

You know I'd dig something like those sky rails except instead of the player traveling on them you have platforms that work as 'lifts' (although really capable of moving in any direction). Wire compatible of course.

Red input moves to the next 'station' block, purple to previous.
Variable speeds so you can have a big slow cargo elevator to have fights on.

It's hardly a videogame at all without one of those sequences.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Zereth posted:

Variable speeds so you can have a big slow cargo elevator to have fights on.

It's hardly a videogame at all without one of those sequences.

I'd make speed depend on rail type and how massive your giant rear end elevator platform is.

A small platform and a fast rail would have potential to hurl players violently / crush them trap style.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Whoo, the vote sale is Risk Of Rain for next 7 hours or so. I am TERRIBLE at Roguelikes (FTL is only thing close I've beaten), but this looks cool and is Chucklefish relevant.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

IronicDongz posted:

I remember someone mentioned it, but I'm having trouble finding it now, but there is a way to take your world files, save them, then shove them back in the right folder to get back to your world, right? Because that sounds like exactly what I want to do even if it means no new stuff on my home planet.

I made a post about it a while back, and it's pretty simple and easy. In your Starbound main directory is a folder called "Universe". In it is every planet you have visited as well as several other files that deal with what you have unlocked and what not.

To save a specific planet look at the names of the .world files in the folder. Each planet gets three of these, and by sorting them by their sector followed by their x,y coordinates you can get all three side by side. Copy these files and put them in another folder. This will save everything about that world including chests and their contents, any surface changes, and any additions or buildings you have added. When you want to recover a world just place those three files back in the Universe folder, accept the overwrite, and you are back to how they were when you copied them.

As a side note, this can be used to dupe items in chests as you can place them, copy the world, go back and retrieve them, then overwrite the world with the old version to get them back. Until their is a world editor (there is a pretty spiffy .dungeon editor that will eventually work with .world files already released) that and trainers is the only way to get more items. You can also do the same thing with your ship files to recover that.

By deleting the .world files in your universe folder you can also reset worlds to their pristine state if you want to reroll them after an update.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 21, 2013

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Section Z posted:

Whoo, the vote sale is Risk Of Rain for next 7 hours or so. I am TERRIBLE at Roguelikes (FTL is only thing close I've beaten), but this looks cool and is Chucklefish relevant.

Risk of Rain is tough as nails but it's also fun as hell so if you like fun games and you like hard games then this is a game for you.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Why do I get this really crazy feeling that making the game SO open to modding is their true intent on early access? Because hot drat if it isn't a good loving idea. The face that RACES can be added into the game blows my mind sky high and everything else is just the icing on the cake.

This is REALLY turning out to be an outstanding game from already high expectations. I shudder to think what else will make it into the game (skyrails begets mass transit probably, imagine a gigantic goon metropolis with skycockers and monorails flying all over the whichway).

The biggest problem right now is that the game can't handle multiple NPCs well so performance drops whenever you're in a city with lots of NPCs or even sometimes just in the wilderness because a lot of monsters spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
After pooping about I finally decided to try building something! And realized that there should be some cloaking device that casts the shadow stuff in rooms so that you can hide your secret underground base from murderous goons in multiplayer.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 21, 2013

• Locked thread