Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Imaginary Friend posted:

After pooping about I finally decided to try building something! And realized that there should be some cloaking device that casts the shadow stuff in rooms so that you can hide your secret underground base from murderous goons in multiplayer.

I really like the grass to metal transitions and just the whole look of the place. Keep up the awesome work. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Section Z posted:

God I can't wait until "wall" items like banners and the tiny light strips for legit ships are true background items. You can't place floor objects like the pixel converter if there is a banner on the wall, or a treasure chest on a platform by the ceiling if there is a light in the way. Go ahead, move one of those lightstrips (you can even remove them with a pickaxe in vanilla) to crafting station height and try to put down a crafting station or bed, or anything. You can't.

THIS, should be your main concern with low vertical space. For the moment it seems like each station only takes up as much physical height as the player at most (like the pixel compressor and ore refinery) so your ship should be fine, but that could change.

Well, I could see if sticking the interior lights in the ceiling would work. However that'd make them unremovable.

Otherwise I'm putting the finishing touches on now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Doug Lombardi posted:

The biggest problem right now is that the game can't handle multiple NPCs well so performance drops whenever you're in a city with lots of NPCs or even sometimes just in the wilderness because a lot of monsters spawn.

Yeah, my frame rate is awful in cities, but it's just as worse in those huge apex labs, and I'm not sure why.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Imaginary Friend posted:

After pooping about I finally decided to try building something! And realized that there should be some cloaking device that casts the shadow stuff in rooms so that you can hide your secret underground base from murderous goons in multiplayer.

This is cool, I hope you find one of those glitch secret trap doors to put in the floor of the little house to finish the job.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, I could see if sticking the interior lights in the ceiling would work. However that'd make them unremovable.

Otherwise I'm putting the finishing touches on now.
Oh, you have plenty of vertical room at the moment there for crafting stations. Right now if there is enough room to stand without your head being on level with a wall item, there is enough room for a crafting station (pixel compressor looks taller but the top edge of it clips a bit into blocks just above your head). Just bringing it up because it can make putting items on wall shelving more iffy. I think you have enough room for a bookcase, my current characters haven't bothered to loot any so I cant check the clearance height needed.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Fun fact: I drew part of that! Little sub airlock in the bottom right corner with a red sub with tentacles.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Section Z posted:

glitch secret trap doors

These exist? :aaaaa:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Smoremaster posted:

These exist? :aaaaa:

Yes, I have found ONE so far. It was in a very tiny basically one room and tiny shaft down castle with a mad glitch queen inside (She called me a vagrant :saddowns:) who I looted a crown from. Over the obvious shaft were off color compared to the building bricks, I pushed E and they recede into the wall and you can drop down. You can copy them in the 3D printer, and they take 1,000 pixels to print.

They are called "Glitch Hidden Trapdoor" in game, listed as a Door item. The inventory description is "Something isn't quite right with these bricks".

EDIT: Oh my god, they have both floor, AND normal position hidden doors :aaa: I just poked through the files till I saw em. Assets/objects/glitch. the castlehiddendoor folder, and castlehiddentrapdoor folder.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 21, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Section Z posted:

I think you have enough room for a bookcase, my current characters haven't bothered to loot any so I cant check the clearance height needed.

Bookcases are 5 blocks tall.

Also, damnit, I can't figure out how to add platforms to my ship by default.

code:
    {
      "value" : [163, 73, 164, 255],
      "foregroundBlock" : false,
      "backgroundBlock" : true,
      "backgroundMat" : "apexshipwall",
      "object" : "steelplatform"
    },
Something like that isn't working. :argh:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Higher level NPCs seriously need some rebalancing eventually. I had a planet with an Avian temple and all the avians had plasma snipers that killed me in one hit even with the best armor available at that point.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bookcases are 5 blocks tall.

Also, damnit, I can't figure out how to add platforms to my ship by default.

code:
    {
    },

I haven't done any ship design, but are you sure that would be an object? Is "object" how you add other stuff, like lights? Usually the objects in this game are interactable stuff.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

code:
    {
    },

Platforms are foreground materials, not objects.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The human mech should, instead of the guns it has now, use whatever guns you have in L+R. That way it would be worth using(use 2 two-handers at once!)

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
For some reason the furnace quest never finished for me. I can't seem to make it finish and accidentally put it in the "abandoned" portion for my quest. Now I can't get my distress beacon to work. Anyone have any ideas on how to get that to work?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rails SDMM posted:

Platforms are foreground materials, not objects.

So what would the entryfor that be? "foregroundMat" : "steelplatform", ?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ASSTASTIC posted:

For some reason the furnace quest never finished for me. I can't seem to make it finish and accidentally put it in the "abandoned" portion for my quest. Now I can't get my distress beacon to work. Anyone have any ideas on how to get that to work?

You should just plant it on the ground and then press E on it. You can still fight the boss even after you do the quest.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I tried using that foreground mat thing and the platforms didn't show up. Oh well. I think I'm just gonna call this done.

Tomorrow I'll figure out how to package it up as a proper mod and put it up for download. Oh and I'll do a version where the cargo hold is a big open space instead of two decks.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 21, 2013

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Motherfucker posted:

TECH IDEA: Drone, When used with F it deploys a flying drone, the drone sports whatever gun or weapon you are holding when you pop it (pistol and flashlight for exploring? Grenade launcher and pistol? Rocketlancher?) and stops all energy regen. Taking damage or firing your weapon lowers its energy till it eventually winks out of existence, flying too far away from your player causes it to wink out of existence.

I had a similar idea for a Probe item, but with different strengths and weaknesses.

You launch it from your ship and it appears at the spawn point of the planet. You control it from there, and it can fly infinitely in any direction. Enemies won't attack it. It's equipped with a Matter Manipulator, but has no inventory and cannot pick up blocks. It can also look in chests, but not take anything. You use the probe to explore areas and find interesting stuff. When you find something interesting, you can deactivate the probe, which will cause it to emit a homing signal. When you beam down to the planet, you'll have a little arrow pointing you to the place where the probe deactivated, essentially allowing you to use it like a waypoint.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Rocketlex posted:

I had a similar idea for a Probe item, but with different strengths and weaknesses.

You launch it from your ship and it appears at the spawn point of the planet. You control it from there, and it can fly infinitely in any direction. Enemies won't attack it. It's equipped with a Matter Manipulator, but has no inventory and cannot pick up blocks. It can also look in chests, but not take anything. You use the probe to explore areas and find interesting stuff. When you find something interesting, you can deactivate the probe, which will cause it to emit a homing signal. When you beam down to the planet, you'll have a little arrow pointing you to the place where the probe deactivated, essentially allowing you to use it like a waypoint.

As 100% brilliant as this sounds, it sounds a bit out of scope of the capabilities from the game. I mean theoretically, it should be possible if you say, just changed the model of your character when you 'beam down' and change the properties of monsters to force them to be 100% passive, but beyond that, I dunno if you could without changing the core mechanics.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Watching 'Alien Resurrection' on cable, now hoping someone makes a survival/horror dungeon or planet mod for release. I wonder if an environmental effect can be done to dim the flashlight/torch effects in certain areas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd like to see a tiny planet biome that's made entirely out of wood, like one of the early Alien 3 scripts had.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Imaginary Friend posted:

I'd be down with just being unable to see light through solid objects.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Motherfucker posted:

I'd be down with just being unable to see light through solid objects.

Hopefully this ends up being a difficulty setting: 'line of sight'

It would basically be required for Director Mode anyway.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Kyrosiris posted:

You should just plant it on the ground and then press E on it. You can still fight the boss even after you do the quest.

Awesome. Will try that. I think I didn't press E like retard.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Still pushin pixels. Finishing internals, shading (:shepface:), and a final pass left. Hopefully it'll be done by Christmas.

I'm really happy that some of you guys like it. I wasn't planning on doing a race, but after seeing ship progression (and the Hiigaran comment) I'm thinking about making a race of post-fall-of-empire (or post-ascension remnants) scattered tribes. The player will start with a massive ship they've discovered and managed to get working, and instead of upgrading the ship they'll unlock more and more of it. Maybe with an ancient Arabic/Bedouin aesthetic? Maybe sort of like reptillian/humanoid/pachyderms, most comfortable on desert planets. Intelligent but very much fish out of water, bewildered by most things, but willing to roll with it if it contributes to uniting the tribes and rebuilding their empire.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Onion Knight posted:

Still pushin pixels. Finishing internals, shading (:shepface:), and a final pass left. Hopefully it'll be done by Christmas.

I'm really happy that some of you guys like it. I wasn't planning on doing a race, but after seeing ship progression (and the Hiigaran comment) I'm thinking about making a race of post-fall-of-empire (or post-ascension remnants) scattered tribes. The player will start with a massive ship they've discovered and managed to get working, and instead of upgrading the ship they'll unlock more and more of it. Maybe with an ancient Arabic/Bedouin aesthetic? Maybe sort of like reptillian/humanoid/pachyderms, most comfortable on desert planets. Intelligent but very much fish out of water, bewildered by most things, but willing to roll with it if it contributes to uniting the tribes and rebuilding their empire.

Probably my favorite ship so far, looks fantastic dude.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does anyone know where I can find info on how to package stuff up as a proper mod file? I went through the official forum's mod help section but couldn't find anything (its a mess there).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Onion Knight posted:

Please tell me that is what I think it is (It looks like it is from Homeworld).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocketlex posted:

Exploration without risk really seems against the spirit of the game, to me. Even ignoring that you could check the end of a dungeon safely to see if its loot is worth fighting to, that kind of advanced scouting just takes you too out of harm's way.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdYPGHc_BYc

That didn't take long.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I like the custom ship objects/consoles though, the red realy fits the retarded nazi thing he has going. Something like that would probably be nice for other races too, including the vanilla ones.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
just encountered a game-crashing bug. I tried to play "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger on my hammered dulcimer and the game quit out. I feel this should take precedence over literally everything else because if I can't play god drat Sister Christian what's the point of all of this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's ridiculously well done. It's a drat shame the creator wanted to make it a nazi thing because their talents could be put to better use. :smith:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Given his youtube username, I think it's supposed to be ironic.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
^^^
:argh:

I'm pretty sure it's a joke and the guy isn't an actual Nazi, you guys.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is that the ship based on the one from Iron Sky?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Nobody claimed he was a nazi, only the product is. It's just sad that he put so much work into a joke instead of something people would enjoy to play. Well there is always the small population of wehraboos/nazis who somehow end up playing starbound and will love playing this mod without the ironic/humorous undertone of the video. But at least this will confine them to their own, modded servers, so that's a bonus I guess.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I guess Starbound is now banned in Germany :(

(Seriously I doubt it would be based on someone's bad taste mod, but still.)

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Feindfeuer posted:

the ironic/humorous undertone of the video

Like that scene where they make-believe executed the make-believe jew? Seriously, there's nothing ironic or humorous about that video.

e: Oh wait, maybe the irony here is they're just idiots and not really nazis?

xf86enodev fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 21, 2013

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Yes, like the scene where they trap the space jew. It's weird and moronic, which is why i first refered to it as a retarded nazi theme, but I also doubt that the guys responsible are real nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I hope they eventually add in space station satellites to visit as well. I want me a Monolith Burger to go with my Phleebut and Ortega planets.

• Locked thread