Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bouchacha posted:

I don't understand, why do people pay other people to watch them play video games? I would sort of understand if they're putting together an elaborate Let's Play with some witty commentary, but it looks like they're just playing and being kind of boring. What are people exactly paying for?

Nerds pay for many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bouchacha posted:

I don't understand, why do people pay other people to watch them play video games? I would sort of understand if they're putting together an elaborate Let's Play with some witty commentary, but it looks like they're just playing and being kind of boring. What are people exactly paying for?

A sense of superiority and a target for trolling.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Bouchacha posted:

A lot of people find it entertaining( Me including) and some of these people feel obliged to pay a some to the entertainer if they think they have a good time( I don't, i am poor as is anyway!). I personally like watching informative streams with calm people playing games i try get good at and stay far away from any rage-type streamer. I myself is a really calm person that never rages out on video games. Now think a bit about for example, how a large part of the MOBA community is like, and what they might find entertaining. :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Minecraft requires creativity and effort.

Gonna be honest, I find Minecraft extremely boring. I'm really bad at just coming up with projects :shrug:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Magres posted:

Gonna be honest, I find Minecraft extremely boring. I'm really bad at just coming up with projects :shrug:

I tried to get into it and couldn't, then tried again when my friend put up a little server. All I ended up doing was griefing him (shoving him into holes, rearranging mine tunnels behind him) and carving dicks into the landscape.

I am not very creative when it comes to art.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Slime posted:

carving dicks into the landscape.

That's not griefing that's the "Hello World!" of Minecraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Slime posted:

I tried to get into it and couldn't, then tried again when my friend put up a little server. All I ended up doing was griefing him (shoving him into holes, rearranging mine tunnels behind him) and carving dicks into the landscape.

I am not very creative when it comes to art.

Sounds like you need to play modded minecraft.

Action Tortoise posted:

That's not griefing that's the "Hello World!" of Minecraft.

You can program a computercraft turtle to do that for you, you can also use a computercraft speaker to start streaming out curse words of someone's speakers. Some people have made juke boxes using them. Elloram was looking at them and made a giant fuckoff quarry using them. Direwolf ususally uses them to automate tasks or make houses, or simplify/solve annoying problems.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got a short and sweet one for you. Last year, I signed up for APB: Reloaded, back when it was all the rage. I didn't have enough ram to play properly, so I left it by the wayside. This week, I picked it back up. In the game, there are threat levels, which are a quick way to show if the player wins or loses missions a lot. There's unranked/green, bronze, silver, and gold. The general idea is that gold players are very good at the game, and they win a lot.

My 2nd day in the game, I manage to beat a gold threat player in a mission, as a bronze threat player. This sent the gold player into a frothing rage, as he accused me of using god mode and teleporting hacks to evade his gunfire and beat him. I decided to steel an armored truck, and was very slowly tooling around town, just egging this guy on to see where he would go. It turns out that he wanted to go for over half an hour, constantly spouting rage and insults in world chat while trying to ram my truck off the road with his tricked out, tiny rear end ricemobile. He even went and got some friend of his to log on just to try and smack around the truck. Eventually, he got mad enough to remember how to add me to his ignore list. Unfortunately, he never seemed to realize that players that aren't in missions can't damage other players or their vehicles. He also curiously ignored his friend's insistence that he was getting just as much lag as he was.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The problem I ran into when playing Minecraft was the inescapable pointlessness of it all. You can make megaconstructions in single player that will last, but since they are single player you will never do anything but look at them, and you can't share them with other people except by taking screenshots, which is sort of boring. On multiplayer, it WOULD be different, if it weren't for the fact that the servers have eternally been buggy pieces of poo poo that will crash and corrupt for like, no reason, and even if they don't crash and corrupt, the overall apathy and entropy of the server population will have people clamoring for a reset after most people have decent houses.

Griefing, too, inevitably becomes pointless because the malleability of the world means that anything you do is dreadfully temporary. Even if you blow up an autism tower utterly, the fact is that the autism tower existed, and given sufficient time and masochism (which is endless) it will exist again. The reactions of the people are also painfully normalized unless you do something they really didn't expect, which is why custom servers with idiotic rules are the best to mess with, but those are usually extremely high-effort griefs.

The best return I got was one time when I was on a server mostly with my friends and they'd made their little hamlet in a valley, complete with pointless towers and such. I ended up collecting a ton of water buckets and dirt, building up to the sky like 50 tiles, and making a big scaffolding around the hamlet. Then at random intervals, I'd dump a water bucket over the scaffolding and destroy the scaffolding, causing a big waterfall from the heavens to rain down.

After the waterfalls were set and the hamlet was mostly drowned, I went down and set a couple of signs proclaiming the pillars of water from the sky to be the baptizing blessing of Almighty God and other such weirdness.

The inhabitants tried swimming up the waterfalls to grab the magical waterspout to drain the town, but they had a tendency to accidentally scoot out of the pillar of water, which would result in them falling about 10 stories to their deaths. Eventually they just whined to the server owner enough that he regenerated the world. :v:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Coolguye posted:

which would result in them falling about 10 stories to their deaths. Eventually they just whined whined whined

Sounds like you got griefed. You need to find yourself some cool people to play with. I recommend checking the Private Games Servers thread for some modded minecraft servers with some responsible badmins to play with.

Edit: you can also check the OP for the minecraft modding thread for some servers.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 16, 2013

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

That's pretty creative; the most griefing I ever do in League of Legends is to just play this character

And prattle endlessly about eggs while setting explosive poisoned gas traps all over the map, turning it into a hellish minefield. I make sure to chide people about eating too many eggs whenever they trip over one and die, too.

From last page - but I prefer playing Recon Teemo - calling Jungle, building AP, and then spending the entire match without leaving the Jungle talking about Viet Cong / Charlie on the perimetre, bringing down the napalm, and other Vietnam war related comments. People either hate you or love you.

Mostly hate.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Sounds like you need to play modded minecraft.

All of the mods I ever played with just pushed back the 'oh hey this is all stupid and pointless' feeling about five hours by giving me a new tech tree to conquer. I'm a very visually uncreative person and in general I'm a "set an obstacle in front of me so I can smash apart that obstacle" kind of gamer. I hit Diamond gear in Minecraft as was done within like five hours because the game had no objectives left to offer me :shrug: Only project I ever really enjoyed was building a floating tower on my university gaming club's server so I could coat one side of it with cannons and shell the (indestructible) newbie town at my leisure. Then the loving save corrupted and I haven't really played Minecraft since.

That said, if you know of any mods that decently ramp up the faint hint of survival horror the game has (there's nothing like your first night on a fresh world if you refuse to just build a tiny box around yourself and wait ten days for daylight and don't have a fort built yet). The problem I had with Minecraft is that it becomes so loving routine - the only challenge for me was "can I pour in enough time to get this project done before I want to uninstall this game?" I want like semi-invincible monsters from which I have to run screaming or die. Make cave exploring actually dangerous and scary instead of tedious and boring when you inevitably get lost in those loving things.

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 16, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Magres posted:

All of the mods I ever played with just pushed back the 'oh hey this is all stupid and pointless' feeling about five hours by giving me a new tech tree to conquer. I'm a very visually uncreative person and in general I'm a "set an obstacle in front of me so I can smash apart that obstacle" kind of gamer. I hit Diamond gear in Minecraft as was done within like five hours because the game had no objectives left to offer me :shrug: Only project I ever really enjoyed was building a floating tower on my university gaming club's server so I could coat one side of it with cannons and shell the (indestructible) newbie town at my leisure. Then the loving save corrupted and I haven't really played Minecraft since.

That said, if you know of any mods that decently ramp up the faint hint of survival horror the game has (there's nothing like your first night on a fresh world if you refuse to just build a tiny box around yourself and wait ten days for daylight and don't have a fort built yet). The problem I had with Minecraft is that it becomes so loving routine - the only challenge for me was "can I pour in enough time to get this project done before I want to uninstall this game?" I want like semi-invincible monsters from which I have to run screaming or die. Make cave exploring actually dangerous and scary instead of tedious and boring when you inevitably get lost in those loving things.

I'm the exact same way and I'm going to unironically recommend Ace Of Spades. Pick it up during a nice sale for sure but sneaking around and destroying your/the other team's base and then playing dumb when someone goes to check rarely gets old for me. Then add in simple gunplay and short-average matches and that's the game in a nutshell. It's super pick-up-and-play and the playerbase is really, really bad at FPS. They also sperg the hell out when you nonchalantly put holes in their masterpiece while claiming that you're trying to help.

It's fun once in awhile.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait, tons of badpubs who I can own while I break their precious towers and they'll rage about it?

Sign me the gently caress up.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got a short and sweet one for you. Last year, I signed up for APB: Reloaded, back when it was all the rage. I didn't have enough ram to play properly, so I left it by the wayside. This week, I picked it back up. In the game, there are threat levels, which are a quick way to show if the player wins or loses missions a lot. There's unranked/green, bronze, silver, and gold. The general idea is that gold players are very good at the game, and they win a lot.

My 2nd day in the game, I manage to beat a gold threat player in a mission, as a bronze threat player. This sent the gold player into a frothing rage, as he accused me of using god mode and teleporting hacks to evade his gunfire and beat him. I decided to steel an armored truck, and was very slowly tooling around town, just egging this guy on to see where he would go. It turns out that he wanted to go for over half an hour, constantly spouting rage and insults in world chat while trying to ram my truck off the road with his tricked out, tiny rear end ricemobile. He even went and got some friend of his to log on just to try and smack around the truck. Eventually, he got mad enough to remember how to add me to his ignore list. Unfortunately, he never seemed to realize that players that aren't in missions can't damage other players or their vehicles. He also curiously ignored his friend's insistence that he was getting just as much lag as he was.

Griefing in APB reloaded is about the only reason I played it for more than a few days, honestly. The best thing to do is get a garbage truck, they are really slow to accelerate but after a while they move fairly quickly. They also are heavy enough that if you hit another vehicle with them they aren;t even slowed down and will send who you hit absolutely FLYING sometimes, I once hit someone head on that was chasing someone else for a mission and they flew over an entire overpass.

Once you learn the quirks though, you can kill people with them even when you aren't in a mission with them since friendly fire is on in missions, by hitting them into their car or vice versa. My friend and I had a "circuit" we would run on the waterfront level that is just a figure 8 following the main road and would often kill multiple people per pass.

The best thing we did though, was one day we found 2 other people on the opposing faction doing the same thing and between the 4 of us we had all 4 of the (limited) Garbage truck spawns. We decided to make a roadblock with them by lining them up front to back under the bridge on the main road in Waterfront and blocking it off for like an hour, and every 30 seconds or so you would see a car chase come flying straight into the bridge. The weirdest part of it all though is that despite the community being almost League of Legends bad, I never got raged at once for doing it. People just found it funny and often would join in themselves. Also I once hit another goon with one so hard against a building that his car just outright exploded, which shouldn't even be possible since I wasn't in a mission with him and was thus neutral, and he was IN his car not standing near it. You could also destroy custom player cars with it and those cost money each time you pull them out from the garage.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
All the talk before of celebrities ruining game conventions had me thinking: who was the comedian that did a game award show and her entire act was just virgin jokes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Aisha Tyler? She's the only female comedian that has done gaming related stuff that I know.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC8HnyZVrOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That's definitely one of the least griefy videos he has done. The people he was talking to seemed pretty unphased and all around chill about his high-pitched antics.

I guess not all people are actually bad on Second Life.They're still playing SL. So still bad.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Edit: Wrong Thread.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
After reading the entirety of the thread, I have a minor World of Warcraft grief of my own that I hadn't seen mentioned yet. This occurred during Noblegarden, which is just Easter with another name.

During this event, you can buy a bunch of cosmetic poo poo such as Easter dresses, an Easter suit set, rabbit ears, a mage spell that turns stuff into a rabbit, an ugly mount and a stupid companion that showcases why you spay and neuter your pets. You buy this poo poo with Cadbury creme eggs found in Easter eggs that spawn in the towns in the starting areas for each race. There's a chance to find most of these things in the Easter eggs themselves. There's also a bigger chance that when you open an Easter egg, you also get turned into a rabbit that craps smaller, sparkling versions of Easter eggs that cannot be looted.

Also when you loot the Easter egg, there is something like a 1.5 second cast time for this.

As previously mentioned, in World of Warcraft there's an item called the Piccolo of Flaming Fire, which, when used, causes people to dance uncontrollably. And as also mentioned, Blizzard has nerfed this thing to hell. I did this for two Noblegardens before it got nerfed.

To make this grind a little less soulcrushing, what I would do during Noblegarden is, as a rabbit, disarmingly hop up to people camping spawn points for the Easter eggs. I would wait for them to open the egg--which is shown by a tinkering animation--and then use the piccolo to make them dance, which, at this time, disrupted their cast. I would loot the egg from underneath them and hop away, hopefully having shat a mocking replica they couldn't loot while they're trying to figure out what the gently caress just happened.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There was a Dust 514 hotfix that supposedly fixed the "get teammates banned" trick I wrote about a few days ago. This means I've fallen back to just being a conscientious player, i.e. invading tactilol sniper nests and wrecking their poo poo. This is way less mean as it sounds, by the way.

In Dust, the "standard" game mode is won by holding on to more of the map's control points than the enemy team. It's a bit like the Battlefield series, where control points can be several hundred meters apart, and beyond the points and installations there are often large swaths of land that are mostly empty. These huge empty areas are of course a natural magnet for the sniperus idiotus, also known by the common name "xXx_tactilol420_xXX".

Just like in the Battlefield stories posted recently, these players are completely useless to their team. This is because they sit in one spot and pick off the same couple of derp-lords on the enemy team who are incapable of figuring out how to not run across the one or two open areas the sniper has a clear view of. So team-killing them might actually help you win, because if you can get them to stop being useless (or quit the game altogether) you'd then maybe have a teammate who was contributing something.

Also like the recent Battlefield stories is the fact that most of these players have very serious cases of Special Snowflake Syndrome and will rage at you with little provocation. Unlike Battlefield however, Dust gives freedom fighters like myself a hand in the form of the Drop Uplink. These little gadgets are an equipment item that most players can carry around the map with them, which can be placed on the ground to create a semi-permanent spawn point. Snipers love uplinks because they allow them to instantly respawn in the super-remote corner of the map in which they prefer to hide. Often these spots are inaccessible without flying to them with a dropship, a vehicle that is expensive and easy to get blown up. So it's best if a sniper can place an uplink early, as it allows them to then only risk the loss of one dropship per match.

But as it is important to keep mentioning, now one of the main game modes has friendly fire. So every time I die in this mode, I look over the map and see if there are any lone teammates off in the corner next to an uplink. If so, I spawn next to them, melt the sniper before they realize what's happening, then smash the uplink. It only takes about ten seconds, but for the rest of the match you'll feel that warm feeling in your heart that you've done your good deed for the day. And best of all, you don't need to e-stalk some blowhard's Twitch stream, since again...you're on the same team.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 20, 2013

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that old school Starcraft grief where you played as a Terran, sent your flying command center off into a far corner of the map, then waited for your opponent to rage quit?

Well what happens when your opponent is so bad at the game that he's ungriefable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKRSE4Ccl_A

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Remember that old school Starcraft grief where you played as a Terran, sent your flying command center off into a far corner of the map, then waited for your opponent to rage quit?

Well what happens when your opponent is so bad at the game that he's ungriefable?

Hilarious. If this tera is <= 8 years old and lives in an age of no interests, this level of badness would be acceptable.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Oh Jesus, the video that it links to next is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvGCrilWik

You don't need to know anything about Starcraft to enjoy it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dreggon posted:

Man, the guy seems pretty decent when he seems to win, but then as soon as the tables turn he gets really bitter about it and starts calling the other guy a noob.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dreggon posted:

This is so good, I've never even played starcraft and its hilarious. The commentator actually starts choking when it happens

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
The lagtv guys have some great videos, though the two hosts get a little obnoxious sometimes. Their gimmick is that they do pro style analysis of low level games, and they have a couple of long running series where they do cheesy bullshit games between low level players which usually end up being rather hilarious.

For more goofy bullshit in starcraft see the funday Monday videos by YouTube user day9tv. I've never even played starcraft and I watch him religiously.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess while we're on starcraft briefly, I have always loved the Low APM Challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kgj5uatbo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RentACop posted:

I guess while we're on starcraft briefly, I have always loved the Low APM Challenge:

That paid off way better than i had expected.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainJuan posted:

The lagtv guys have some great videos, though the two hosts get a little obnoxious sometimes. Their gimmick is that they do pro style analysis of low level games, and they have a couple of long running series where they do cheesy bullshit games between low level players which usually end up being rather hilarious.

For more goofy bullshit in starcraft see the funday Monday videos by YouTube user day9tv. I've never even played starcraft and I watch him religiously.

I agree, they can get fairly "gamers.txt" at times. But their "When Cheese Fails" series is really great for a begginer SC 2 player like me. Seeing not only how to defend cheese, but also what cheesers do wrong is really helpful.

Here are 2 of my favorite casts of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHSxETDE8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fkSG5UwsY

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

RentACop posted:

Zeez is the goon group on Starcraft 2 btw so that guy is most likely a goon.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is that staged? That can't be real. Jesus :psyduck: christ.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Dreggon posted:

Holy poo poo, this one is worth a watch. One of the commentators is wearing a loving MONSTER energy drink tshirt and I still can't say this isn't worth watching.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Is that staged? That can't be real. Jesus :psyduck: christ.
They cast games like that all the time. Morons who move a dozen reapers straight into a group of banelings and losing every single one or cannon rushing without proper scouting to make sure that they're building cannons at the correct place. The list goes on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Poil posted:

They cast games like that all the time. Morons who move a dozen reapers straight into a group of banelings and losing every single one or cannon rushing without proper scouting to make sure that they're building cannons at the correct place. The list goes on.

One of my favorite responses to a cannon rush was a Planetary Fortress drop rush. They'd often realize that my Command Center they'd carefully leapfrogged cannons to wasn't there anymore about the same time it was hitting the ground right next to their base and growing a big gun out the top. Think I also did something similar amusing against a 2-gate proxy.

I'll see if I can find a replay of one of them games and FRAPs it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

You guys are talking in Korean, right? I've always wondered what it would look like to transliterate all those ovals into the Latin alphabet.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Otisburg posted:

One of my favorite responses to a cannon rush was a Planetary Fortress drop rush. They'd often realize that my Command Center they'd carefully leapfrogged cannons to wasn't there anymore about the same time it was hitting the ground right next to their base and growing a big gun out the top. Think I also did something similar amusing against a 2-gate proxy.

I'll see if I can find a replay of one of them games and FRAPs it.

Yeah I use a two pool strategy to scout command centres and prevent base rushes by blocking, usually with a baneling and a druid/priest for support I have no loving idea what this is please translate.

It's funny if everyone can get the joke! Jargon isn't too hard to translate, if you put the effort in.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

What's APM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

fondue posted:

What's APM?