Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What the gently caress ever dude. Dead Space might blow rear end but that armor he made is loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Friend gifted this to me, I vastly preferred Terraria over Minecraft so he told me I would love this even more.

First impression was "god drat everything looks so pretty now".
Second impression was "oh god why is there a hunger meter and a cold meter why would you include realism elements"
Third impression was "oh god why does laser shooting down a tree take fifteen seconds now"
Fourth impression was "OH GOD WHY IS THIS COMBAT SO CLUNKY"

I have died five times just trying to dig around for iron ore, which has now apparently decided to replace Chlorophyte on the scale of rarity.
I'm sure this gets better once I get higher up the tech tier but right now I'm really missing the player mobility and speed in Terraria. I really liked the instant response of the early weapons in there as well, not too thrilled about this delay all of the weapons have in Starbound--or the speed loss that comes with nocking the bow. :saddowns:

Ah well. Back to the grind.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah SB is way harder than Terraria, at least in the beginning.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

TerminusEst13 posted:

Friend gifted this to me, I vastly preferred Terraria over Minecraft so he told me I would love this even more.

First impression was "god drat everything looks so pretty now".
Second impression was "oh god why is there a hunger meter and a cold meter why would you include realism elements"
Third impression was "oh god why does laser shooting down a tree take fifteen seconds now"
Fourth impression was "OH GOD WHY IS THIS COMBAT SO CLUNKY"

I have died five times just trying to dig around for iron ore, which has now apparently decided to replace Chlorophyte on the scale of rarity.
I'm sure this gets better once I get higher up the tech tier but right now I'm really missing the player mobility and speed in Terraria. I really liked the instant response of the early weapons in there as well, not too thrilled about this delay all of the weapons have in Starbound--or the speed loss that comes with nocking the bow. :saddowns:

Ah well. Back to the grind.
Three of my mods here help with combat (namely, *tweakmod and weapondropmod) in that guns and melee weapon drops are suddenly not useless.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/witless-tweak-qol-modpack.277/

Hopefully next build will be better about this, but if it isn't (which is likely) I'll update it as usual.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

graynull posted:

Watching 'Alien Resurrection' on cable, now hoping someone makes a survival/horror dungeon or planet mod for release. I wonder if an environmental effect can be done to dim the flashlight/torch effects in certain areas.

Lemme just quote myself from a few pages back:

Nyyen posted:

Here is a preview of the current proof of concept of a moon spanning prison/sanitarium/hive world I am playing with. Pretty heavily influenced by the prison blocks available in the game, but much more claustrophobic and darker. I intend to mod in a whole lot more grafitti and creepy art objects as well, but I need to teach myself how to properly set up the responses to everything and what not.

After building across about a tenth of a small moon I have pretty much resigned myself to waiting for a world editor to finish it.

I've worked out the visuals and layout for a toxic waster landfill, a subway system running under it all, a sewer system with 2 block high pipe mazes for all you metroid ball tech havers, and I am currently trying to figure out the best way to do a refinery/geothermal plant. Fluids being unmovable is annoying but I am assuming it will be added eventually.

I hope to completely convert one entire small moon to one gigantic connected series of structures as soon as I don't have to place everything entirely by hand. I am so tired to duping poo poo, and even with a crazy sped up matter manipulator it takes forever to tear apart anything tougher than dirt in large quantities.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Excellent!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TerminusEst13 posted:

Stone axes and picks are WAY faster than the matter manipulator at their respective tasks and don't take many materials to build.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

How does one go about getting guns? I've been dicking around Beta sector a while and they still aren't showing up. Are there places I need to explore? Do I need to go to further sectors? etc

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
edit: nm, i'm dumb

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 21, 2013

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I'm really hoping it'll be easy to add additional random structures and dungeons to the game. It'd be cool to have some one post their cool home base or building and be able to have it added into the game as something that can randomly show up on a planet along with glitch towns and such.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

As of right now, it's a tough process to learn but once you get everything down it's not too bad to do. Time consuming though, yeah.

Also someone here is working on a Dungeon Editor which is nice since structures like towns and houses are considered Dungeons.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm not really into mods as it's all too overwhelming to me, but has someone made a bike mod or is working on one? I want my ship to be filled with bicycles :3:

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Kly posted:

I'm really hoping it'll be easy to add additional random structures and dungeons to the game. It'd be cool to have some one post their cool home base or building and be able to have it added into the game as something that can randomly show up on a planet along with glitch towns and such.

Go hog wild:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starstructor-the-starbound-toolset.152/

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Cool, does this editor let you open world files to copy and export things built in game? Like TEdit for terraria you could open your world, drag a box around something you built in game then export that building to another world. Something like that but with the option of adding the building to the random dungeons list would be incredible.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Starbound - Space-Nazis in Space [SS Early Access]

Stop loving talking about Nazis nobody loving cares.

In non-Nazi related news, the first version of my Dead Space mod is finally finished. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the crafting recipes now and then it'll probably maybe be released later today.

The top left Isaac has mismatched skin colors on his hand and face. Excellent work otherwise.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008

Kly posted:

Cool, does this editor let you open world files to copy and export things built in game? Like TEdit for terraria you could open your world, drag a box around something you built in game then export that building to another world. Something like that but with the option of adding the building to the random dungeons list would be incredible.

Not yet, but that's something I really want to add once the basic stuff is out of the way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tunahead posted:

The top left Isaac has mismatched skin colors on his hand and face. Excellent work otherwise.

He doesn't, I just didn't darken the hands on that part to show off that the patient suit doesn't have any gloves on it. The colors on the image were kind of bright so I darkened all the non-suit-parts to emphasize them.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I'm trying to figure out what is hemmorraging bandwidth on my computer, since Comcast recently decided to gently caress me over in regards to download limits. What is required to play starbound online? How much bandwidth does it take up?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

E-Tank posted:

I'm trying to figure out what is hemmorraging bandwidth on my computer, since Comcast recently decided to gently caress me over in regards to download limits. What is required to play starbound online? How much bandwidth does it take up?

The common 500mb patches are going to kick your bandwidth's rear end when they start up again, I'd imagine. That's the biggest bandwidth cost with this game at the moment.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

For all that I'm sure nobody care, here's a screen of the ship I've been building.

It's missing a few pieces of inbetweener rusty metal (I ran out :saddowns:), and I was intending to put a few more decorative-style things in the cargo bay, but hey good enough for now. I also couldn't find a satellite dish type object for the comm array, so I used a gong :shepface:

Anyone who wants to dick around with my ship/character can download my save data Here, just drop the "player" folder into your root Starbound directory and click the "merge" option when it asks, then you should be able to load it; It worked with a friends game, so let me know if there're any problems.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Shoehead posted:

See I'm ok with them as a race of enemy Space-Nazis. Fighting the Nazis is great, it's just tearing down huge Nazi party flags and hanging them in your ship that makes me feel a bit gross.

If I could kill a bunch of Nazis IRL I goddamn sure would tear down a huge Nazi flag and hang it in my spaceship.

"Oh that, yeah, that's a trophy from the time I killed all those Nazis. Yeah, about a thousand of them, it was basically just Captain America, Rambo, and me, kicking some Nazi rear end, or as I like to call it, Monday." :smug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Desideratus posted:

I also couldn't find a satellite dish type object for the comm array, so I used a gong :shepface:

Use the Distress Beacon.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Babe Magnet posted:

Use the Distress Beacon.

You're my hero, why didn't I think of that :buddy:

I also keep intending to add NPCs, but I can never find any NPC spawners (I know you can make civilian and guard); The one stim merchant spawner I found, I tried to scan into the 3D printer and it just ate it without giving me the ability to craft more :saddowns:

The biggest problem I had making that thing is the sheer amount of materials it took (Somewhere around 30,000 blocks, I think); Especially harder-to-find (Or maybe I just had bad luck) blocks like Metal Object and Support Block. I think after the next wipe, my "ship" is gonna be a small city built inside of an asteroid; That way I can play around with a ton of different and/or rarer blocks, so I don't depend so much on having fucktons of 2-3 types in particular.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Babe Magnet posted:

Use the Distress Beacon.

Can... can you summon the UFO on your ship? :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bah, I can't figure out how this .modinfo packaging stuff works. I might just resort to the classic "manually toss the files into the proper folders" method. :argh:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

boo_radley posted:

Can... can you summon the UFO on your ship? :ohdear:

Has to be on a planet with line of sight to the sky. Also I think you're invulnerable while on the ship, though I guess it could smash open all your chests...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bah, I can't figure out how this .modinfo packaging stuff works. I might just resort to the classic "manually toss the files into the proper folders" method. :argh:

This is literally the entire contents of mine:

{
"name" : "UnsubRedun_Mantizi",
"version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
"path" : ".",
"dependencies" : ["charactercreationmod"],
"author" : "UnsubRedun"
}

And the file's name is UnsubRedun_Mantizi.modinfo

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, here is what mine look like:

code:
{
  "name" : "BeowulfFreeTrader",
  "dependencies" : [ ],
  "author": "GalagaGalaxian"
}
code:
{
  "name" : "BeowulfStandard",
  "dependencies" : ["BeowulfFreeTrader"],
}
code:
{
  "name" : "BeowulfTallHold",
  "dependencies" : ["BeowulfFreeTrader"],
}
Beowulf Free Trader contains a set of the blocks and background images for both versions of the ship for each race's ship folder. Then the other two are just a dropship.structure file for each race that is supposed to overwrite the default one for the purposes of creating a new character. Only one is meant to be used at a time and you're meant to remove them if you don't want your next character(s) to start with my Beowulf.

However, using the BeowulfFreetrader and BeowulfStandard in the mods folder creating new characters just gives me the default ships.

It IS reading them, cause it spat an error at me at one point when I forgot a comma in one of the modinfo files. I suspect the problem might be overwriting the default Dropship.structure files.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2013

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I want a propeller powered airship as my ship. Gotta be wood.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't know if it's because I'm tired or what, but I'm having a slight bit of trouble parsing what you're saying.

You've got three mods, which are all just three different versions of the same ship, right? Or is it that you've got a base "mod" with all the assets, and then two mods that use those assets to actually do stuff to the game?

If it's the latter, I would just do the former. A little extra work, but people can just choose whatever version of the mod they want and discard the rest. If you are doing something like that, and it's still not working correctly, I don't think there's a lot we can do without looking at the rest of your files. Your modinfos seem to be in order, so I don't think they're the problem.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was doing the latter (trying to be clever I suppose) but I shall try the former. The thing I wanted to do though was have the player be able to see Beowulfs (for multiplayer) while not being forced to make the ship of new players a Beowulf.

[edit] Ok... that isn't working either.

The path for the mod files I want is [ROOT MOD FOLDER]/Assets/Ships/[races] , right? With the .Modinfo in the Root Mod Folder?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 21, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ No Assets. The Mod folder is the Assets folder, I believe.

So if you've got stuff in a .../[modname]/assets folder, move them out into the .../[modname] folder.

Yeah, I don't know if that'd be possible right now. Sounds like you'd have to make a copy of a race and set their ship to the Beowulf. I don't think there's any way for two players of the same race to have different ships.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 21, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
:siren: Chucklefish is visiting servers for christmas, tweet Tiy your server IP if you're hosting a public server with 3 or more people on it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fedoras aren't allowed on my server, so I'll pass.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I didn't name my shipblocks or background png. to dropship.blocks or shipship.png and they show up just find, as long as the modified dropship.structure referenced them. When I popped onto my friend's multiplayer server with my Beowulf my friend was able to visit the ship, the background was just invisible to him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And he has the files?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I should try to learn .abc just to be able to have a Harlock character play this on an ocarina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-E8ijTeAE

Because I am a massive nerd.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Most .abc files I've tried the Ocarina sounds like poo poo.

Babe Magnet posted:

And he has the files?

He does not. Once created the player's .shipworld file holds the player's ship once it does and includes a reference to the background. If a player lacks the referenced background, they simply see nothing.

For example, creating a new guy with my mod installed:

Save, Quit, close Starbound, remove mod, restart Starbound, reload character:

I think what I'll do is make 3 versions. Standard, TallHold, and "Backgrounds" which just has the background files for multiplayer with friends.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Most .abc files I've tried the Ocarina sounds like poo poo.

:ohdear:

Also, holy poo poo, the hunting knife gives you more pelts?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ernie Muppari posted:

:ohdear:

Also, holy poo poo, the hunting knife gives you more pelts?!

Yeah, the hunting knife has the same more-item-drops properties as the hunting bows do. Make two and dual wield them for maximum ridiculousness.

• Locked thread