Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

This looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Arex posted:

Awesome, my spawn location on my starter planet was under poison water.

From the recent stream:
Kyren: "What's the function of this piece of code that ensures the teleporter will spawn players on top of a flat bit of terrain? I don't see a problem if players are beaming down on uneven areas. I'll just remove it."

ahahahaha

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Vib Rib posted:

To answer the earlier question:

No, the "Mrs. Claus" outfit is not the same on men.
Yes, it is (at least) as skanky.

What happens on Florans?

Note: i love that floran "genders" are nonsense, it makes my inner queer feminist happy.

Truant
Oct 23, 2008

Rayjenkins posted:

Sounds like a cool place to build a base. Where do you find a place like that threat-level-wise?

Anywhere. One of my characters had them on the starting planet. I made a sick tower by taking apart the ruins and rebuilding them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My starter planet appears to be an inhospitable death world where all wildlife can breath fire, everywhere is poison, the land is dead and resources are scarce. This may be a tricky way to start the game.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
How do you make an oxygen tank for surviving on moons/asteroids? I can't seem to find how to make it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Isorenieratane posted:

How do you make an oxygen tank for surviving on moons/asteroids? I can't seem to find how to make it.

Remake the first star map

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tulip posted:

What happens on Florans?

Note: i love that floran "genders" are nonsense, it makes my inner queer feminist happy.

Still a binary choice though :sigh:

Highly problematic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So if this update wasn't a character wipe, when will it come? :ohdear:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Remake the first star map

Second one! The one that unlocks gamma.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Highly problematic.

It's pretty much just cute icons for male/female, the body types match the gendered variants of the other races...

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So when I place a chest in my ship, it gives it a new spawn of items inside. Guess that is a new bug!

Truant
Oct 23, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

My starter planet appears to be an inhospitable death world where all wildlife can breath fire, everywhere is poison, the land is dead and resources are scarce. This may be a tricky way to start the game.

It's certainly better than having your starting planet be an asteroid and having no choice but to restart.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Highly problematic.

Florans are real progressive when it comes to gender equality though. :v:

And all my stuff on my ship got nuked and I lost my crafting stations. :suicide:

At least I still have my electric bass guitar though.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 23, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Truant posted:

It's certainly better than having your starting planet be an asteroid and having no choice but to restart.

If true, that's almost certainly a bug which should be reported.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

IronicDongz posted:

So if this update wasn't a character wipe, when will it come? :ohdear:

Honestly don't worry about it. When you bought the game, it was with the explicit understanding that wipes will happen, as frequently as needed. They try to have as few wipes as possible, but every update has the potential to.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh god I need to figure out merging gently caress. :supaburn:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

A shrubbery! posted:

Honestly don't worry about it. When you bought the game, it was with the explicit understanding that wipes will happen, as frequently as needed. They try to have as few wipes as possible, but every update has the potential to.

They apparently said they would need to do just one more character wipe to transition to a scheme where they won't need to wipe characters for future changes. It'd be neat if they could get that over with sooner rather than later. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay, that was easier than I thought. :shobon:

Anyone who was using my Estus Flasks mod, it's now Angry Koala compatible!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

With every new patch they advise you to make a new character anyway so you can experience the patch changes to the best effect. This patch wiped out all the stuff on my stuff so it's basically like starting from square one anyway. At least I have Durasteel Tier equipment and both a Diamond Drill and Pickaxe so I should be able to make up lost progress real quickly though and at least now I can reconfigure my ship without any hassle now.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008
Hey folks, for those of you who can't/don't want to wait for a hotfix or update to fix the broken instruments, there's a workaround that works from bartwe's twitter.

bartwe ‏@bartwerf posted:

I broke the songbook.config, you can fix instruments by removing '"B" : "D",' and '"E" : "G",' if you feel adventurous.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:catstare: Every time I pick up + place a primitive chest, it suddenly has new loot/randomly generated stuff inside.

for clarification: Small primitive chest I found on my starting planet, I picked it up and brought it along, placed it on my ship, and it suddenly had some stuff again.

and then again, and again and again.
It even dropped a copper pickaxe, not bad for only being 5-10 minutes after character gen.

e: It even dropped platinum ore and a doctor spawner.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
So now that airless planets are in, how hard is it to make the basic spacesuit?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

I secretly hope you can terraform a planet by planting enough trees to create an atmosphere :V

Having your own personal asteroid planetoid with a full blown mini-ecosystem would be hilariously awesome.

Someone should mod this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

the night dad posted:

So now that airless planets are in, how hard is it to make the basic spacesuit?

20 Durasteel and 1000 pixels, requires tier 3.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So, who wants infinite instant carrots?

:dance:

e: version 2-

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 23, 2013

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Vanadium posted:

Second one! The one that unlocks gamma.

I just made the 2nd starmap (the one you can make after beating the robot) and I still can't see the oxygen tanks. The only thing that could be them is a backpack on the robotic crafting table labelled "replace" which requires durasteel bars, which need the next starmap to make. Do I really have to go all the way to tier 4 before I can even go on any moons/asteroids?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh god I need to figure out merging gently caress. :supaburn:

Dude I know. Overwriting stuff in Player.config was easy but as soon as I got to lists and longer entries my brain leaked out my ears.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Isorenieratane posted:

I just made the 2nd starmap (the one you can make after beating the robot) and I still can't see the oxygen tanks. The only thing that could be them is a backpack on the robotic crafting table labelled "replace" which requires durasteel bars, which need the next starmap to make. Do I really have to go all the way to tier 4 before I can even go on any moons/asteroids?

You'll need to reach tier 3/gamma sector before you can make it, yes.

I disagree with the decision but apparently people were sperging about "realism". :rolleyes:

Edit: You could probably mod the Lantern on a Stick to have the same effect by adding the code from the air tank:

code:
"statusEffects" : [
    {
      "kind" : "breathprotection"
    }
  ],
I'll go try it with my existing lantern mod.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

- Pos no longer 1 hit kill you
Too late, never trust a Po

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

Does anyone remember how to purge characters from the character list? I want to delete all of my old ones with this semi-wipe.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kyrosiris posted:

You'll need to reach tier 3/gamma sector before you can make it, yes.

I disagree with the decision but apparently people were sperging about "realism". :rolleyes:

It's not a matter of realism, it's a matter of giving planets meaningful differences. You know how once you get used to the different appearances, up until now, planets have felt pretty samey? They need to have things like unique challenges. This will be one of them. Weather is another.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Okay, so if you think being restricted from moons/asteroids/etc. until tier 3 is stupid, you can create a mod and add this to its lanternstick.back file:

code:
{
  "__merge" : [],
    { "kind" : "glow",
      "amount" : 2,
      "color" : [89, 83, 71]
    },
    { "kind" : "breathprotection"
    }
  ]
}
(this will also make it twice as bright, which is really nice)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A shrubbery! posted:

I don't think I'd mind the wipes as much if the early game wasn't such a slog. Using the MM to get basic resources, finding a decent amount of ores, grinding pixels, finding enough coal to get to a new planet...it takes a lot longer than I feel it should.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ebenezer posted:

Does anyone remember how to purge characters from the character list? I want to delete all of my old ones with this semi-wipe.

in Starbound/players

Kyrosiris posted:

Okay, so if you think being restricted from moons/asteroids/etc. until tier 3 is stupid, you can create a mod and add this to its lanternstick.back file:

code:
{
  "__merge" : [],
    { "kind" : "glow",
      "amount" : 2,
      "color" : [89, 83, 71]
    },
    { "kind" : "breathprotection"
    }
  ]
}
(this will also make it twice as bright, which is really nice)

I wanna make a Space Snorkel now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I wanna make a Space Snorkel now.

You could append the breathprotection bit to the statusEffects stanza of any armor, really; I just figured most people would be using a Lantern on a Stick because it's handy. :shobon:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think I'd mind the wipes as much if the early game wasn't such a slog. Using the MM to get basic resources, finding a decent amount of ores, grinding pixels, finding enough coal to get to a new planet...it takes a lot longer than I feel it should.

I'd argue it doesn't take as long as it feels to someone doing it multiple times. Remember, you're playing a beta. I know that can be an annoying-to-hear reminder as well as sometimes a little condescending. Fact is though, your average player just does this early game once. You don't want the game to hand you everything on a spoon and be short and challenge-less. That tends to be worse than a little early "slog".

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2013

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Do different planets have different amounts of gravity now, or is that from like an old update that I missed in like week of not really playing?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The rocket sled isn't useable?? What a scam! :argh:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick ways to avoid the slog:

- Knock down two trees and about 8? 10? squares of cobblestone with the MM and you have enough for the first crafting table and a stone pickaxe. Use the pickaxe to get what you need for a stone axe. Never use the MM for digging / harvesting again. Upgrade the pickaxe as you can, and repair it with copper ore if it shows more than a bar or two of damage to keep it at full speed. (Do use the MM to cover over poison pits with dirt because screw that stuff.)

- Don't dig down. Especially in the early game where your pickaxes suck and light is a hassle. Land on a planet, mark your landing pad (I drop two torches) and run left. Mine what's obvious from the surface and keep moving. I don't even explore the little mini-tunnels if there's not something obviously interesting, and almost all the interesting poo poo is on the surface anyway. The only things that will slow you down are the occasional really steep mountains you have to dig through rather than go over.

- Instead of banging random, explore the moons around your starter planet, and the planets around your starter sun, if you're remotely struggling for fuel. Odds are at least one planet is going to be a bonanza.

- Cleaning out one good avian temple, apex lab or similar will give you more than enough pixels for ages, and usually a pile of decent weapons. Don't dump them into the pixel sink of the 3D printer.

Doing this, the only hassle is night time when you can't see the monsters or ore very easily, and I guess now you have to deal with the weather all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Do different planets have different amounts of gravity now, or is that from like an old update that I missed in like week of not really playing?

They sure do. Some planets are ridiculously low gravity now.

• Locked thread