Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

inklesspen posted:

All I know is that has gotta rank up there with Panty Explosion Perfect in the annals of ill-advised RPG titles.

or it could be intentional and with tongue firmly in cheek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

I am unironically enthused by this idea. I am not giving them any money, but I am looking forward to the product.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sion posted:

Yeah man it is okay because they are doing it ironically.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sion posted:

TK-31 posted:

Yeah man it is okay because they are doing it ironically.

Take it to the industry thread if you wish to debate what is appropriate for the industry to produce or what to not produce, particularly re: poo poo that is long past bidding on.

ETA: Seriously, people are welcome to debate that poo poo in there. One line zingers accomplish little other than making GBS threads this thread up.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 23, 2013

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It lives!:
http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/heroquest-25-aniversario/necesidades/

The Hero Quest kickstarter re-re-started on a spanish kickstarting site.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

jammu posted:

It lives!:

Man, I was for this before but I dunno, bailing on KS proper to go somewhere they won't be taken down for their shady IP issues is just sketchy as hell to me. And shipping is now $40 international. Goddamn.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

jammu posted:

It lives!:

Well, I have to respect their determination, if not their sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there folk wisdom for allocating shame on "fool me thrice?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

moths posted:

The price is already super steep too, for $200 USD I can get the original and all the expansions and probably a night out at a bar. drat.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

moths posted:

Shame on the gullible nerds?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

This Heroquest version is a tribute remake of the original game to commemorate its 25th anniversary. All illustrations, board, miniatures, rules and any other components are brand new and property of Gamezone Miniatures.

It's HeroQuest in name only. I mean, OK, inspired-by, but customers can expect to get a dungeon-crawl board game and that's about as far as this goes. What kills me is that they could just name it something different and then run the kickstarter in the US with no problems whatsoever. It's entirely due to the insistence on using the HeroQuest name to get customers that they had to do this whole thing over in Spain in the first place, and that really raises the question of whether the game is actually worthwhile on its own.

They could even advertise such a game as a "spiritual successor to HeroQuest, honoring 25 years of that game's legacy" or whatever and probably be OK. All they have to do is name it something else.

e. And yeah $200 for a dungeon-crawl miniatures game might be worth it or might not be worth it, but with nothing but concept art and no rules to review, it's way too much money to risk.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

jammu posted:

It lives!:

I loving hate my country. They will probably bail with the money once they see it is impossible to finish the game in time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

They could even advertise such a game as a "spiritual successor to HeroQuest, honoring 25 years of that game's legacy" or whatever and probably be OK. All they have to do is name it something else.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they just don't change some names, certainly they've earned enough attention with their copyright chicken to move on and do their own thing. The Heroquest name is valuable, no doubt, but it can't be worth all this hassle and possible liability.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
For people who backed the Horror on the Orient Express reprint last year, links to pdf proof copies have gone out.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Well, my copy of Serpent's Tongue finally showed up!

Some of the components got a tiny bit beaten up in shipping and you have to put the spell codices together yourself, but overall I'm happy with the quality. The rules look dense as all gently caress and definitely are intended as a reference rather than a teaching tool. They have a two part introductory walkthrough on the website though, so once everything calms down from the holidays I'll have to round up a friend or two and try it out.

It looks really damned pretty, though.

It also just makes me feel stupidly happy that the books are full of little snippets of world building and rules reminders in addition to just holding the cards.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If you backed Grim Worlds with a tier high enough to receive a pdf of the book, check your kickstarter inbox: the game's pdf is ready.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I noticed that my local gaming shop has a copy of Ogre for sale.

Godamn, that thing is massive. I did not believe all the talks on just how HEAVY that thing is, but when I lifted the drat thing myself, it was still hard to imagine!

I am pretty tempted to grab it.

Also: Anybody else following Ryuutama's post Kickstarter upates? Anybody tried the things they've released?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cosmic Afro posted:

Also: Anybody else following Ryuutama's post Kickstarter upates? Anybody tried the things they've released?

My housemate is running a PbP of it; here's a link to the recruitment thread if you wanted to take a look: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597703

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Since Devastation of Indines was well received enough to get its own thread, I might as well mention that the Kickstarter for Argent: The Consortium is wrapping up within a week. Anyone who has followed a Level 99 Games Kickstarter should know that they are very good at Kickstarter, and are learning more with each one. Unfortunately, one of the lessons learned from Devastation is to not have a ton of add on stuff, so I think the only real Kickstarter bonus (not exclusive) content is a free mini expansion that is pretty lightly themed (warning: it is very anime in theme). Still, the game looks like a promising twist on the worker placement formula, as all your workers are different, each player has different abilities and can customize it more throughout the game (shades of Kemet?), each worker does different things, variable turn lengths so that you never know when time is up, etc. It also seems like the kind of game you'd need to play to see if it actually works, but like I said, promising.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah I super wanna back that game, I just wish I had the money to :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just received my copy of Achtung! Cthulhu. Jesus Christ are they nice looking hardcovers. I'll post pics later.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Backers of Inverse World: Check your emails.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

HOLY poo poo I'M PUBLISHED (a little) :bubblewoop:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Judging from the description and some updates/comments, this kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/the-game-designers-toolkit-meet-your-new-project?ref=live seems all about throwing a variety of unsellable crap into a cardboard box and telling people to make their own board game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

gnome7 posted:

You realize that you didn't use BCC when sending out those e-mails, right? My e-mail address just got shared with all the digital-tier backers of Inverse World, and theirs have been shared with me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My experiences tell me you were supposed to say that via reply-all.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

jivjov posted:

You realize that you didn't use BCC when sending out those e-mails, right? My e-mail address just got shared with all the digital-tier backers of Inverse World, and theirs have been shared with me.

Woops. My bad, nothing I can do about that now :shrug:

On the upside, due to how google mailing lists work, there were four batches! So not everyone's email was shared with everyone, just 30%/30%/30%/10%.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Judging from the description and some updates/comments, this kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/the-game-designers-toolkit-meet-your-new-project?ref=live seems all about throwing a variety of unsellable crap into a cardboard box and telling people to make their own board game.

I think I preferred the same idea it when it was called Emperor's New Clothes.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Are you allowed to just repackage and sell components from other games like that? Seems a little fishy.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Emperor's New Clothes was genius.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The best/worst thing about the Emperor's New Clothes is that people just did not get it, until the last day people were waiting for some big "reveal" of what the "real" game was going to be. It would have been amazing if instead of the guy having to spell out the product in detail that he would have just shipped out the white box to the morons who pledged to something that they didn't know they were buying.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Emperor's New Clothes was a half-funny troll that turned into a rip-off in the eleventh hour. It also started a huge derail that got this thread locked.

Cross-posting from the miniatures thread:

I made these with the Wargames Bakery Basius pad (the Ruined Imperial Highway one) and it was easy and awesome. They could still use a bit of tidying up, but for the most part they're done.

The pad itself is excellent, it's a chunk of resin slightly larger than one of those individual Pizza Hut pizzas and mounted on rubber footies so you can push down on it without worrying that it'll crack. Big thanks to signalnoise for importing / distributing these stateside from the KS! Except for the Plague stuff I've already done from Warpath, this is going to be the standard for all my Deadzone. I'm very happy with that, and it'll be easier than doing regular bases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Awesome! I haven't had a chance to play with the pads myself but I'm happy to see they work so well

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Mine arrived as well, and I am stoked to take them for a spin. Much thanks!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are you allowed to just repackage and sell components from other games like that? Seems a little fishy.

It's the company that owns the games that's running the kickstarter. As for running a kickstarter that does it, in the past Kickstarter has killed similar projects.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
The Mega Man Kickstarter just unlocked international shipping. So now us filthy foreigners can get in on that sweet sweet super fighting robot action.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
The description of that Mega Man boardgame sounds worryingly vague and like a reskinned Munchkin/any other draw and play competitive card game, which is rather deterring me from going for it despite liking Mega Man a lot.

Nice pieces though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Those who backed Golden Sky Stories might wish to check their kickstarter inbox. I got to say that I'm loving this new, alt setting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I didn't think they would do it, but Argent: The Consortium reached its plastic minis tier, which they haven't shown off yet and are unlikely to before the end of the campaign. They also reached a stretch goal for a mini expansion to Pixel Tactics, which is a pretty fun game in its own right. The founder has also said there are various component upgrades that aren't tied to a stretch goal since the estimates from the printers about the various upgrades, like extra cards or better components, are still a bit up in the air.

But yeah, if you want it and are interested in any of the extra bits, I imagine they would cost extra when this game hits retail, which will be later than when the backers get it, so pick it up now. It's in its last 35 hours as of this post, so not a lot of time left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Argh, I really want to buy in on Argent, but I also want to buy it through my LGS, partly because I have been buying too many games away from them and partly because they have a tendency to order 2 copies of whatever is ordered through them and put the other on the shelf, and I'd like to spread awareness that way.

• Locked thread