Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you want to figure out how air is flowing on the hood or over the roof, you take some yarn, painters tape, and a GoPro and you can get an idea of where the air is going.

It basically looks like a real time graph of a differential if you've taken calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've taken a ton of math and calc classes and had no idea what you were talking about until I googled it. I've never seen a plot with all the vectors plotted like that. :downs:

I get what you're saying but I guess it seems kind of pointless to me still for most things. If you want front downforce, add a splitter. Rear, spoiler/wing. I guess it would make sense to try if you were looking for a good hood vent location or something but otherwise I don't see much point unless you're designing a race car body piece by piece. And at that point you hopefully have more in your budget for aero than a ball of yarn.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
It seems like it'd be useful to increase the max speed down a straight.
Here's an article about tuft testing: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=108656
pt2 http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=108674
pt3 http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=108675
pt4 http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_108676/article.html
pt5 http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_108677/article.html

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 20, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

I've taken a ton of math and calc classes and had no idea what you were talking about until I googled it. I've never seen a plot with all the vectors plotted like that. :downs:

I get what you're saying but I guess it seems kind of pointless to me still for most things. If you want front downforce, add a splitter. Rear, spoiler/wing. I guess it would make sense to try if you were looking for a good hood vent location or something but otherwise I don't see much point unless you're designing a race car body piece by piece. And at that point you hopefully have more in your budget for aero than a ball of yarn.

I couldn't remember the name of the type of graph, but it has to do with vectors at points of a differential, etc. (aka im bad @ math) It's an easy way to do A/B testing; however, Vitamin J only did the B portion of the testing. Like, he drilled holes in poo poo and then tested it, versus test-do thing-test.

The very basics of it is that enthusiasts don't normally have access to modeling software, and even if you do, you have to recreate the Miata and whatnot. So modeling is the cheap technology alternative to wind tunnel modeling, but practical testing like that is a shitload of money. So you have a ball of yarn and tuft test it using simple measurable metrics like Vin, Vout, top speeds, minimum speeds, and other things that are obtainable with an OTS datalogger.

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 20, 2013

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Why don't you ask the people on this forum who told me to do it?

Sold that car and put the money towards my Miata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOB6f8GZhps

e: fuel pump went out this morning arg

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 20, 2013

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Larrymer posted:

I guess it would make sense to try if you were looking for a good hood vent location or something but otherwise I don't see much point unless you're designing a race car body piece by piece. And at that point you hopefully have more in your budget for aero than a ball of yarn.

A lot of people don't. It's a great way to understand what's going on in places where it's not necessarily intuitive (base of the windshield, the rear roofline slope, the entire back end of the car, the hood just aft of the front bumper).

People get even more involved and attach manometers to the hood to find out exactly where the best place to locate a hood vent would be.

String flapping in all sorts of directions = high drag
String flowing straight in one direction = attached flow = low drag

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Savington posted:

A lot of people don't. It's a great way to understand what's going on in places where it's not necessarily intuitive (base of the windshield, the rear roofline slope, the entire back end of the car, the hood just aft of the front bumper).

People get even more involved and attach manometers to the hood to find out exactly where the best place to locate a hood vent would be.

String flapping in all sorts of directions = high drag
String flowing straight in one direction = attached flow = low drag

Its not quite that simple though. In the early part of laminar flow developing its higher drag than turbulent flow. Towards the fully developed side of laminar flow its lower drag.

EDIT: In other news picked up two cans of un opened ATE super blue at goodwill for $2.50 each. No idea what they were doing there.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 21, 2013

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Is the following '05 actually a LS, and if so, is it worth purchasing at $2200 given that it has 238k miles on it?

http://www.fitzmall.com/Inventory/Detail/0930857769191/USED-2005-Mazda-MX-5%20Miata

It drove significantly tighter and more responsive than my friend's near immaculate '93 NA with 61k on it. I'm aware that it would need a timing belt and water pump replacement, and would likely benefit from having the radiator & cooling system hoses replaced, and trans & diff oil changed, too. It needs tires and a right rear caliper to pass state inspection.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

pr0craztinazn posted:

Is the following '05 actually a LS, and if so, is it worth purchasing at $2200 given that it has 238k miles on it?

http://www.fitzmall.com/Inventory/Detail/0930857769191/USED-2005-Mazda-MX-5%20Miata

It drove significantly tighter and more responsive than my friend's near immaculate '93 NA with 61k on it. I'm aware that it would need a timing belt and water pump replacement, and would likely benefit from having the radiator & cooling system hoses replaced, and trans & diff oil changed, too. It needs tires and a right rear caliper to pass state inspection.

I'd say its a decent buy. By 05 they came standard with all the good stuff, being best of na/nb lineage. It won't resell easily but if you plan to drive it for a while it should last.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does the Bose audio option in NBs use the same lovely fiberoptic cabling that it did in Mercedes of the era? Is it easy to replace the head unit and keep the stock speakers, or does it all have to be pulled?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

blk posted:

Is it easy to replace the head unit and keep the stock speakers, or does it all have to be pulled?

It's standard cabling but the speakers are a non-standard impedance (0.5 ohm or something), and it's driven by a non-standard output amp rather than the head unit directly.

Common recommendation is to pull and replace the whole lot.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been looking for a clean NA/NB at the right price and have been struggling in my neighborhood. There's a dealer near me with a 55k mile MSM that they really seem to want to get rid of; they're asking 10k but I think there's some wiggle room. It'd be above my budget but night mot matter since I plan on resale in a year or two. What do you guys think a 70k MSM would be worth 8k in a couple of years?

Edit: gently caress it, I'm going to go put an offer on it tomorrow.

blk fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 22, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In my seemingly never ending quest to find a roadster I like, I've found a NC Miata that I'm digging but I'm having a hard time identifying what a fair price would be.

2009 Grand Touring soft top w/ premium package, suspension package and the side skirts/spoiler. ~24k miles, manual, dark blue w/ tan top & tan interior & an extended warranty to 7yr/100k (doesn't add any value for me). I've hit the usual suspects - NADA, KBB, Edmunds and I'm getting a range of prices from as low as 14k for private party sale on Edmunds to 19.5k on Motortrend & NADA. I'd say somewhere around 17k is what I think would be a fair price but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

I've been looking for a clean NA/NB at the right price and have been struggling in my neighborhood. There's a dealer near me with a 55k mile MSM that they really seem to want to get rid of; they're asking 10k but I think there's some wiggle room. It'd be above my budget but night mot matter since I plan on resale in a year or two. What do you guys think a 70k MSM would be worth 8k in a couple of years?

Edit: gently caress it, I'm going to go put an offer on it tomorrow.

Do eeeeeeeeet....

Rain the last few days so I've been driving like a loon in the NC.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
17-18k sounds about right for that mileage to me.

If you're looking at roadsters, is there a reason you're looking at NC Miatas over an S2000? Just curious for people's reasoning on this- my wife wanted my car to have a hardtop, so that discounted the Honda for myself, but the high rev limit and extra horsepower was tempting.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 23, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are OEM hardtops for the S2000. You might need to search a bit, but they're out there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

There are OEM hardtops for the S2000. You might need to search a bit, but they're out there.

They exist and get sold fairly frequently on the S2000 forums, however they fetch a hefty price. Typically 2-3K for an OEM one in good+ condition. Seeing Miata people bitch about 900 dollar OEM tops makes me laugh now :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

They exist and get sold fairly frequently on the S2000 forums, however they fetch a hefty price. Typically 2-3K for an OEM one in good+ condition. Seeing Miata people bitch about 900 dollar OEM tops makes me laugh now :(

SHOULDA BOUGHT A MIATA BRO.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NC hardtops retail for like 3.5k and you can buy them from Mazdaspeed for like 2.3k shipped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

NC hardtops retail for like 3.5k and you can buy them from Mazdaspeed for like 2.3k shipped.

I want one soooooo bad. But 2.3 is a lot for something I don't need.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

SHOULDA BOUGHT A MIATA BRO.

No way :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

But, think of the track days!

(BRO)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

GOD IS BED posted:

If you're looking at roadsters, is there a reason you're looking at NC Miatas over an S2000? Just curious for people's reasoning on this- my wife wanted my car to have a hardtop, so that discounted the Honda for myself, but the high rev limit and extra horsepower was tempting.

Insurance is killer on S2000 vs. Miatas, at least in Ontario.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Nodoze posted:

I just bought one that was the wrong color for $1000. Sellers wont budge down to the reasonable prices, which i thought was around $800. I found one for $300 once, but it was missing quite a bit of fiberglass, including its rear striker hook bit!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GOD IS BED posted:

I can get a newer NC with less mileage for a good bit cheaper than I could find an S2000 for, insurance is cheaper, aftermarket is more plentiful & (most importantly) the wife likes it more than the S2000.

Still, somewhat of a stigma to get over.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Something about angry headlights and chicks who hate their dads.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

GOD IS BED posted:

S2000 is designed for people the size of Phone.

Phone is short.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TooLShack posted:

S2000 is designed for people the size of Phone.

Phone is short.

I am 6'1" and I fit in my S2000 great. I don't even have the seat all the way back either

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I am 6'1" and I fit in my S2000 great. I don't even have the seat all the way back either

I'm 6'2" and the closest I came to fitting my legs in an S2000 had my knees wrapped around the wheel like a gokart. I knew from that day on I could never have one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Well then get out of here you S2K lover, this is the Miata thread, not the daddy issues thread :colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I want one soooooo bad. But 2.3 is a lot for something I don't need.

You don't need a hardtop unless you DD a Miata in the north or race it imo.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Dealership didn't take my red MSM offer, although there's someone at a sister dealership who might try to pull some strings for me.

Today I was in the grocery store parking lot and saw a little old lady get out of a gray MSM in a disability spot - she had orthopedic shoes, poorly dyed hair, the whole shibang. I left her a note offering to buy it - I'm 4/4 for getting replies from notes like that; hopefully she's in the market for something more comfortable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Or don't want to worry about the top getting slashed? My buddy's top was cut 4 times in 2 years and he never locked the doors.

But mostly they look cooooool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, dude.

From here. The first line is a load of poo poo, they're mostly second hand chassis off the road but with the latest bumper.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
He starts with a new chassis. Last one he got he offered the interior for sale on Facebook.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Or don't want to worry about the top getting slashed? My buddy's top was cut 4 times in 2 years and he never locked the doors.

But mostly they look cooooool.
And my top was cut zero times in seven years and I always lock my doors. Anecdotes are dumb.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

leica posted:

Well then get out of here you S2K lover, this is the Miata thread, not the daddy issues thread :colbert:

:( I like Miatas too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

destructo posted:

And my top was cut zero times in seven years and I always lock my doors. Anecdotes are dumb.

Your face is dumb!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is there a trick to finding rebuilt, or even upgraded miata engines for sale? I'd love something with a stronger bottom end, or even just a freshened motor, and sadly i dont have the skill or space to rebuild one myself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What are you trying to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is there a trick to finding rebuilt, or even upgraded miata engines for sale? I'd love something with a stronger bottom end, or even just a freshened motor, and sadly i dont have the skill or space to rebuild one myself.

Flyin' Miata sells them, you can custom order exactly what you want done but it's gonna cost you.

OR you could find out where your local Miata racers get their motors built, that's worth a shot. There's a guy near me that rebuilds and balances them out for spec Miata guys, and from what I remember was pretty reasonable.