Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

The "crops grow instantly" bug has to do with two different unstackable items of the same name, too. I harvested some tomatoes from a planet, got 4 seeds and 1 seed, and those 4 grow instantly and that 1 doesn't. And the seeds from those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Springly posted:

Welp, my new home planet has super low gravity and acid rain that kills the wildlife. This update is the best!

I went to a random world in the beta sector. Here is our warp point:

:whatup:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

boo_radley posted:

Sweet. Free house! I would totally start terrain modding that and building a city.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Daynab posted:

The "crops grow instantly" bug has to do with two different unstackable items of the same name, too. I harvested some tomatoes from a planet, got 4 seeds and 1 seed, and those 4 grow instantly and that 1 doesn't. And the seeds from those as well.

Hm. Maybe some kind of weird plant genetics code gone wrong?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Goonicus posted:

For those of you sinking tons of hours into this already; any reason? With the character wipes I've been holding off until my character will be permanent. Is it just the kind of game you can consume within a week or two so the wipes don't matter? Do you plan on continuing to play after it exits beta?

Personally, because the game is fun. I you want to rush through the first few tech levels, yeah sure it feels grindy if you do it as fast as you can over and over. But if you take your time and dig and explore it's great. I mean look at this, it's fantastic.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Where do you keep all your poo poo :v:

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Vanadium posted:

I make a dedicated storage room and organize things according to my own arcane sorting systems.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Vanadium posted:

The wrapped gift is also a chest!

Also I'm expecting a wipe sooner than later, so mostly what I can't carry goes in the memory hole.

e: the hay pile is also a bed, I had never seen that before and it cracked me up.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Steam just patched the game, wonder what was in it.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Goonicus posted:

For those of you sinking tons of hours into this already; any reason? With the character wipes I've been holding off until my character will be permanent. Is it just the kind of game you can consume within a week or two so the wipes don't matter? Do you plan on continuing to play after it exits beta?

I enjoy playing the game in general enough that I don't mind losing gear and things I've collected. I like building up my ship's inevitable loot hoard from scratch, there's this weird sense of accomplishment and progress for me.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Hmmm... this is getting pretty funky lookin'... ah, what do you guys think of this progression?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

boo_radley posted:

I landed amidst the Bone Apes

They taught me much of life and living

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
So I got that "instant base just add water" mod working this afternoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUN4pFPTJ0
There's some other assorted tat in the mod - recipes so you can craft all the different kinds of metal table (dunno why they're disabled in the base game), a kitchen counter version of each of those tables, one of those apex pod things that you can get into for rapid healing and a furnace that lets you smelt stuff instantly.

I don't suppose anyone fancies doing a few icons & images for any of that? I'm cack at art. :v:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sweet, that's exactly the kind of mod I'm looking for. What's the size/block/placeable limit on the prefabbed buildings?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

There's some other assorted tat in the mod - recipes so you can craft all the different kinds of metal table (dunno why they're disabled in the base game), a kitchen counter version of each of those tables, one of those apex pod things that you can get into for rapid healing and a furnace that lets you smelt stuff instantly.

I don't suppose anyone fancies doing a few icons & images for any of that? I'm cack at art. :v:

drat that's actually a pretty neat mod. Not necessarily one I'd use except possibly to establish a temporary safespot while building a real base, but definitely a nice utility/QoL thing to have.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

GloomMouse posted:

Sweet, that's exactly the kind of mod I'm looking for. What's the size/block/placeable limit on the prefabbed buildings?

I don't think there's any practical limit on size or object count, though you have to stick with preset stuff at the moment. I'm looking at making them repackable right now, but I'm not sure if you can store information on an object and have it persist - monster taming does something along those lines though, so I've got a place to start at least.

If I can get it working, the aim is to have craftable sensors - you'd put one at each corner of the building, wire them together, interact and your building gets packed into a cube. You then have thirty minutes to move your cube. :v:

MShadowy posted:

drat that's actually a pretty neat mod. Not necessarily one I'd use except possibly to establish a temporary safespot while building a real base, but definitely a nice utility/QoL thing to have.

That's really what it's for, hit a new planet and slap down a quick outpost before you start exploring. You wouldn't make it a home.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

Steam just patched the game, wonder what was in it.

Yeah, I would also like to know.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

I popped open the launcher to see if it had any hotfix notes, but nothing...

Though there is that "Diagnostic" button to the right of the Launch Starbound Server button now, that seems new. Other that that, at the moment your guess is as good as mine.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Probably fixes for the chest bug, instruments crashing the game, monsters not dying and similar bugs that appeared in the last patch.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Speedball posted:

There's a "Diagnostic" button in the launcher now. Beyond that I have no idea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Goonicus posted:

This is the kind of game where "progress" isn't the whole point really. If you enjoy exploring and building now, odds are you will enjoy exploring and building later. It's a make your own fun sandbox.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Made a new human (who looks exactly like my old human) and my starter planet's just like home! ...in the worst possible way.

64321386, 60960326, Alpha Kuma 8543 II c
Be warned you beam in right on top of bandits

Pretty cool that tentacles can be a biome as well as a planet type. Shame the tentacle 'trees' don't drop seeds.

e: Ah, looks like that patch fixed some songs crashing the game when you try to play them

e2: Found a violin in a chest in a tentacle patch to the right of warpin on that planet past the miniboss, if anyone's looking for musical toys

e3: Damnit, starter planet suffers from meteors. Desert planet in the same system (II d) spawns you in right on top of an avian crypt though!

Icedude fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 24, 2013

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Estel posted:

Probably fixes for the chest bug, instruments crashing the game, monsters not dying and similar bugs that appeared in the last patch.

Chest bug is still in game, I just checked.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Morning posted:

Chest bug is still in game, I just checked.

I tried out the two Primitive Chests I had; When I put them on the ground, they had new loot inside. Emptied them, picked it up, put it down, no loot. I think the bugged chests will only do it once now; after you pick it up it's the 'right' kind of chest now.

Tried out my bugged seeds, potato in this case. Put them in the ground, they grew instantly. Harvested them, and the seeds were combining with my other stack; putting those in the ground leads to the normal sprout and growing time. I think these bugs have been fixed, the bugged items have to be used once more to revert to their correct versions, though.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

How do I build a space helmet again? I want to play on asteroids. :(

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Summary of the latest patch changes as far as assets are concerned:

code:
 default_actor_movement.config                                    |   1 +
 default_movement.config                                          |   2 +-
 items/armors/backitems/spacetank/spaceairtank.back               |   4 +-
 items/generic/unsorted/sapling.sapling                           |   4 +-
 monsters/ground/captiveState.lua                                 |   8 +-
 monsters/ground/knockoutState.lua                                |   4 +
 monsters/ground/socializeState.lua                               |   2 +-
 objects/generic/sapling/sapling.object                           |   1 +
 objects/holiday/holidaycraftingtable/holidaycraftingtable.frames |   4 +-
 objects/holiday/holidaycraftingtable/holidaycraftingtable.object |   4 +-
 objects/holiday/holidaycraftingtable/holidaycraftingtable.png    | Bin 2198 -> 4167 bytes
 objects/human/jukebox/jukebox.object                             |   2 +-
 planetgen.config                                                 |   5 +-
 scripts/API/entity.lua                                           |  57 ++++
 scripts/API/monsterHooks.lua                                     |  26 ++
 scripts/API/npcHooks.lua                                         |  46 ++++
 scripts/API/objectHooks.lua                                      |   8 +-
 scripts/stateMachine.lua                                         |  12 +
 songbook.config                                                  |   4 +-
 tech/jeep/jeep/bulletmuzzle1.animation                           |   7 -
 tech/jeep/jeep/bulletmuzzle1.frames                              |   6 -
 tech/jeep/jeep/bulletmuzzle1.png                                 | Bin 2828 -> 0 bytes
 tech/jeep/jeep/flamemuzzle.frames                                |   6 -
 tech/jeep/jeep/flamemuzzle.png                                   | Bin 3046 -> 0 bytes
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeep.animation                               | 397 ----------------------------
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeep.tech                                    |  51 ----
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeep.techitem                                |  10 -
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepbackground.frames                        |  19 --
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepbackground.png                           | Bin 3275 -> 0 bytes
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepbleg.frames                              |  19 --
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepbleg.png                                 | Bin 3275 -> 0 bytes
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepbody.frames                              |  13 -
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepbody.png                                 | Bin 462 -> 0 bytes
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepfleg.frames                              |  20 --
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepfleg.png                                 | Bin 5672 -> 0 bytes
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepgun.frames                               |  13 -
 tech/jeep/jeep/humanjeepgun.png                                  | Bin 2997 -> 0 bytes
 37 files changed, 176 insertions(+), 579 deletions(-)
(I have assets/ checked into git and try to make a commit for each patch. - means lines removed, + means lines added. Bin means binary file. Things going to -> 0 bytes means they have been deleted...there was a jeep, apparently?)

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Testing my birdperson's shiny new accordion, and Air Supply "All Out of Love" works perfectly. GOTY.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

Also, the log spits back gibberish instead of actual information now, so that's pretty cool.

You need to scroll up until you see the section with the error. Alternatively, search --> "error".

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
For some reason whenever I try and play a song on any of my instruments now, the game crashes.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Reupdate, it should be fixed now.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

trinary posted:

Summary of the latest patch changes as far as assets are concerned:

*snip*

(I have assets/ checked into git and try to make a commit for each patch. - means lines removed, + means lines added. Bin means binary file. Things going to -> 0 bytes means they have been deleted...there was a jeep, apparently?)
http://mod.gib.me/starbound/diffs/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pilchenstein posted:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Everything works now, it is good. Hail to the fish people.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Starhawk64 posted:

Florans are real progressive when it comes to gender equality though. :v:

And all my stuff on my ship got nuked and I lost my crafting stations. :suicide:

At least I still have my electric bass guitar though.

You know- a bit late...but...why/how do Avians have boobs, now that I think about it...? Birds don't produce milk- they just chunder into their kids' mouths. :crossarms:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ok, since I don't really have time to tidy this mod up before christmas or test it myself, I've slung it up on the Chucklefish site for people to break: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/base-in-a-box-v0-1.58547/ Feedback (especially of the "I did something you hadn't anticipated and now your mod is on fire" variety) is much appreciated.

This too is very much appreciated mate. Version 0.2 will be "Base In A Capsule". :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pilchenstein posted:

You're doing god's work.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Freakbox posted:

You know- a bit late...but...why/how do Avians have boobs, now that I think about it...? Birds don't produce milk- they just chunder into their kids' mouths. :crossarms:

You really don't want to go there. There-in lies madness and pages-long derails.

The quick answer is that all player sprites are based on a set of base models, one male and one female. So all females in the game have the same body shape (breasts included) because that's the shape of the base female model.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I know that that makes sense- I guess I just always feel a bit :spergin: about humans assuming that every alien will have: A) two binary genders, and B) Boobs and/or a penis.

Eh- I'm sure eventually someone will come up with a non binary, asexual, or differently-gendered species. That'd be super neat. :gifttank:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Its because starbound is whacky space adventure sci fi not hard sci fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Freakbox posted:

Let's not get all DnD dragonborn debate up in here.

At this point I'm really starting to wish building blocks could be made via pixel printer. I don't understand how it'd unbalance anything to let me make soft brick blocks en masse. Makes big builds a huge hassle right now.

• Locked thread