Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Mimic posted:

Aw yeah. That magical crystal looks perfect. My dream of a safely inhabitable asteroid base has been realized.

They also double as decent light sources:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Whats the way you can transfer the stuff you've built on single player to multiplayer servers? I recall someone mentioning you can do it.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
It's beautiful, but I hope that the Devs will implement something similar themselves (or adobt your mod), as my friends for some retarded reason don't like running mods on our little privat server. :(

Edit:
The planets are saved in your universe folder, you can transfer those files from your installation to your server.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Holy crap I didn't know about that "range" parameter, that is awesome. I had no idea campfires worked like that. Nice mod.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

XboxPants posted:

Holy crap I didn't know about that "range" parameter, that is awesome. I had no idea campfires worked like that. Nice mod.

Yeah, I used a campfire as the framework because it's both simple and because of the range modifier - I figured that it was basically a radius that the status effect "projected", and I was right.

Someone in the thread that caused me to start working on the Oxystones is trying to make an invisible fluid that accomplishes the same thing, so you have an "airtight" building (if you use an airlock, anyways), but I dunno if that'll work, since don't all fluids automatically make you swim? I think you were working on a bacta tank-like fluid and ran into that?

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Edit:
The planets are saved in your universe folder, you can transfer those files from your installation to your server.

Thanks!

Did anyone else get another update a few hours ago? There's nothing on the changelog about it, I was surprised due to the update yesterday.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

The Mimic posted:

Aw yeah. That magical crystal looks perfect. My dream of a safely inhabitable asteroid base has been realized.

Do you still need to have 2 camp fires every few steps to not freeze to death, or is it less annoying now?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So, you can buy Red Stockings at the Toy Bench for 1 Holiday Spirit a pop. Place it, mine it down, and it drops a coal. I've set up a room in my house specifically for farming coal from my kills. :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So uh... they work in more than just outer space.

So if an underwater base has ever been appealing to you go, go hog wild!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

DanrewS posted:

Do you still need to have 2 camp fires every few steps to not freeze to death, or is it less annoying now?

Find a space heater, scan it in your 3D printer, replicate it. It has more range than the campfire, you need to place less of them. Also higher tiered armor will provide enough heat to make you able to explore astroids/moons without having to care for external heat sources. At least my Glitch Lancer outfit is enough on all moons and astroid belts I've encountered yet.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Feindfeuer posted:

Find a space heater, scan it in your 3D printer, replicate it. It has more range than the campfire, you need to place less of them. Also higher tiered armor will provide enough heat to make you able to explore astroids/moons without having to care for external heat sources. At least my Glitch Lancer outfit is enough on all moons and astroid belts I've encountered yet.

My current armor isn't as powerful for heat value as the snow armor, and it's still fully capable of letting me survive in asteroid or moon environments with the space backpack. However if you go straight up from the surface of a planet and reach space that way, yes, you need ridiculous amounts of heat sources and armor appears to do nothing.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I was playing with a buddy and we were on a low gravity planet that had a castle on it, when we got within a certain distance of the castle the gravity changed to normal.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I used a campfire as the framework because it's both simple and because of the range modifier - I figured that it was basically a radius that the status effect "projected", and I was right.

Someone in the thread that caused me to start working on the Oxystones is trying to make an invisible fluid that accomplishes the same thing, so you have an "airtight" building (if you use an airlock, anyways), but I dunno if that'll work, since don't all fluids automatically make you swim? I think you were working on a bacta tank-like fluid and ran into that?

Yup. I tried a lot of methods but I couldn't get past that barrier. If you don't mind swimming physics it works fine, though, and before this patch it didn't even put out your torches.

The problem is that liquids are extremely inflexible. There's a few things about their appearance and behavior that you can change, and they can grant status effects, but status effects are very limited. There's no real way to set specific physics. You could turn off the underwater multijump through the player config files for all liquids if you wanted, but not for specific ones. What you'd really need is access to lua scripting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kly posted:

I was playing with a buddy and we were on a low gravity planet that had a castle on it, when we got within a certain distance of the castle the gravity changed to normal.
Interesting. I know they were initially against variable gravity because it messed with a lot of the jumping spaces and platform dynamics of dungeons (for instance, jumping too high in that apex lightning chamber and getting zapped on the ceiling). I guess their solution was to fix gravity, but only around those areas.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Kyrosiris can you upload your version of the lanternback with airtank built in?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I have the Inactive Robot, but it says "I should take it to the planet surface before powering it up." I'm on the loving surface of the planet. What?

Edit: Figured it out.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 24, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

FrancoFish posted:

I have the Inactive Robot, but it says "I should take it to the planet surface before powering it up." I'm on the loving surface of the planet. What?

Are you on a platform above the surface or not enough flat space around it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

az posted:

Kyrosiris can you upload your version of the lanternback with airtank built in?

Sure thing. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcd0qpjmkf1wj87/Airstick.zip

Edit: Should also note it's also twice as bright as normal.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 24, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Turns out other people are having my problem. Oh well.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/map-in-list-__merge-add-overwrite-issues-aka-object-in-array.58227/

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I think I found the king of all starter planets, and one I would happily make my home planet.

-88811071,-91319238 Alpha Iota Cen 441 V

It has a matter machine, a shop selling stimpacks, starts you off right in the entrance to the science station with the matter machine, a bunch of clothes vendors, and more that I haven't managed to find yet because the planet seems to be absolutely huge. There are a bunch of surface chests so far as well.

Someone else take a look and let me know what you think, but I think I hit the jackpot finding this.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speed booster is the best loving mod :allears:

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Arsonide posted:

The gigantic craftable weapon mod still needs a few names - namely human weapon names. It's odd how all the other races filled up so quickly, but humans are filling up last. We could use one more push. Thanks for any assistance.

http://goo.gl/Xs5wOs

The bigger the pun, the better. Could use some help with human weapons, but other races still have a few holes as well. I think Hylotl is the only one that's finished.

Edit: Holy crap goon rush on a spreadsheet... http://screencast.com/t/fNqfQX6Yy

Thanks guys. Mod should be neat.

I am totally the guy who chipped in, like, 90% of the Hylotl gun names.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wow acid rain. Just loving wow.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

MShadowy posted:

Edit: So I'm not just repeating the well deserved oohs and aahs here, which do you think works better between these two craft? On it's own I'd definitely say I think the top one works better but I'm not sure how well it would go together with the later upgrades, where the lower one is very awkward looking but I've got a rather clear idea of where I want to go next on it (namely, more bow).

I just wanna note that i don't think there necessarily needs to be a super close progression between the different tiers. To me it's more interesting if tier [n] isn't just tier [n-1] but elongated/with an extra bit stuck on, it's more important that each design works on it own than as part of the series.

Looking at the original inspiration for this, the Vagyr ships from Homeworld 2, the Corvette -> Frigate -> Destroyer -> Battlecruiser/Carrier progression is definitely recognizable as the same race but they each have a pretty distinct design as well, with the destroyers dual hull falling out of line the most.

That said, i agree with the general opinion and like the top one better.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I thought the Starbound ship progression will be original + additional room so that you could actually keep your stuff on the ship while upgrading. This would not be possible if the complete layout of the ship changes. But that was just something I assume how ship progression would be handled, I've no hard facts (tweet, Dev posts) about it.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 24, 2013

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think my favorite power I've found so far is targeted blink, really combines great with a 2h hammer, and also for exploring so you don't need to be switching between dash and jump (is there an easy way to switch your selected tech?).

Also, can you craft stims, or do you need to find someone that sells them? Bandages work quite nicely for a while, but eventually you have to really start burning through them, and the beds take forever to heal you up at that point too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

Also, can you craft stims, or do you need to find someone that sells them? Bandages work quite nicely for a while, but eventually you have to really start burning through them, and the beds take forever to heal you up at that point too.

Certain foods made at the cooking table, such as Hamburgers and Banana Bread, provide insane amounts of fast healing. Banana Bread is amazing and is the best reason to play an Apex from a powergaming perspective because they start out with that recipe and the seeds for it.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 24, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Certain foods made at the cooking table, such as Hamburgers and Banana Bread, provide insane amounts of fast healing. Banana Bread is amazing and is the best reason to play an Apex from a powergaming perspective because they start out with that recipe and the seeds for it.
Florans get a nice recipe which just uses meat and a fruit they start with the seeds for, too, although wild boneboos haven't been dropping seeds for me recently so that might not work as well now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I started a new Apex to try the new patch and the game farted out a grey-skinned aging Grinch named Rainbow Banana. So naturally I changed nothing, because how can you improve on perfection? With a Mrs. Claus outfit, of course.

The planet immediately adjacent to my starter world has a fuckoff massive forest of rainbow trees. I have a functionally infinite supply of rainbow wood and rainbow seeds. Life is good for Rainbow Banana. :buddy:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MShadowy posted:

Oh my. That's really something.

Edit: So I'm not just repeating the well deserved oohs and aahs here, which do you think works better between these two craft? On it's own I'd definitely say I think the top one works better but I'm not sure how well it would go together with the later upgrades, where the lower one is very awkward looking but I've got a rather clear idea of where I want to go next on it (namely, more bow).

Top one has a better flow of movement between ship functions.

Needs crystal blocks so we can rebuild the moon palace from Final Fantasy 4.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 24, 2013

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Glassing new players's ships is my new favorite grief, since it takes forever to remove with the MM. Rainbow wood background is also a good one, but it's time consuming to remove the background.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hey, Mshadowy and other guys who are posting neat ships: Is there a guide, tutorial or guideline on how to set up/make custom ships? It seems kinda fun, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

e: I honestly didn't think about checking out the main forums. :downs:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/create-your-own-ships-photoshop-template-modding-guide.42404/
+
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/s2f-learning-basic-pixel-art-and-putting-it-into-the-game.57153/

In case anyone else wants em'.

e2: huh, that's surprisingly simple, kudos to the Starbound peeps for making it this easy.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 24, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Quick edit for floor teleporter

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is there any benefit to the different colored flashlights? I just found a green beam one and I don't know why it is a thing.

Also, this weird-rear end lightning sword I found made short work of the UFO. I was paranoid to fight it with everyone talking about it, but it wasn't that bad.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Is there any benefit to the different colored flashlights? I just found a green beam one and I don't know why it is a thing.

Also, this weird-rear end lightning sword I found made short work of the UFO. I was paranoid to fight it with everyone talking about it, but it wasn't that bad.

It's been nerfed/balanced heavily, actually.
At 'launch' I and a friend had to cage it up, and stood there smacking it with swords for an age, while it's shots, and the minions could reliably one or twoshot us.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I had no problem with it with iron armor, iron now and a few bandages, a few week ago.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What happens if you're playing a modded race and you join a server that doesnt have that mod?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Those looking to make underwater bases can do so using this mod, a water cannon. While the sprite work is horrific, it gets the job done.

It looks like Starbound has strange rules for pooling water, though. Unlike what the mod says, you can't just flood a planet. Water only collects in ditches, pools, real holes. If there isn't an obvious hole for the water to collect in, the ground just soaks it up

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Revol posted:

Those looking to make underwater bases can do so using this mod, a water cannon. While the sprite work is horrific, it gets the job done.

It looks like Starbound has strange rules for pooling water, though. Unlike what the mod says, you can't just flood a planet. Water only collects in ditches, pools, real holes. If there isn't an obvious hole for the water to collect in, the ground just soaks it up

I think it's more that openings in the background drain liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I think it's more water is limited to a set minimum thickness so if it spreads to far a de spawn timer activates.

• Locked thread