Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

So I warped home on the latest update to find my base and all my items gone. Hadn't realised there was going to be another wipe. :(

On the plus side I landed right in the middle of a huge Apex town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
So these smaller ships are pretty badass: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ecca-721-apex-shuttle.537/

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/inquisition-spectre-shuttle.413/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 24, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Keeping my old character but junking all his armor. 2 matter manipulators means I can upgrade one to my modded cheat version and not feel bad.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just encountered the first truly interesting stuff in the game- a small derelict penal colony with murderous robots a Legendary bonehammer that fires a spread of caustic bones every swing, then a planet with a monkey-people city. They don't seem very friendly.. They initially rushed me until I put away my sword, then they have all these mine altering stations and unhappy people. If I go in bonehammer blazing and try to murder them all, will I just get spanked?

There needs to be more "life" out there. I like finding that kind of stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to accelerate time when you're taking a nap or something?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Didn't someone on here create/mention a mod that allows guns to drop in all sectors just balanced out? Would anyone be able to link it?

Also Hylotls are great, upon inspecting the Avesmingo they complain there are too many flavours to appreciate.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

These are beautiful, I'd love to start with tiny ships like these to emphasize your "just starting out" status - as long as you'd be able to upgrade it quickly, that is.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

LordSaturn posted:

I think it's more that openings in the background drain liquids.

ColHannibal posted:

I think it's more water is limited to a set minimum thickness so if it spreads to far a de spawn timer activates.

Testing proves the former to definitely be true. The latter also seems to be true, but it seems to be more than that. I've tried filling something to the top, something that should be small enough to that the water wouldn't be too 'thin', but it still doesn't go all the way to the top, it stops a few blocks short.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you need a cool starter planet try Alpha Mu Per 952 I, (x 80412894 y -8936735) forest world with lots of sandy areas also and a TON of chests and I think at least 2 techs and an intrument? And Glitch Castle. Basically owns, haven't even gone down much to see if there's anything cool underground.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I've always wondered what you guys would do for fun after level 10. I hit it and I feel like I'm lost. From what I'm seeing people just use that mod that lets you customize your ship but that's about it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cowabanga posted:

I've always wondered what you guys would do for fun after level 10. I hit it and I feel like I'm lost. From what I'm seeing people just use that mod that lets you customize your ship but that's about it.

There's nothing in the game past level four.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cowabanga posted:

Build stuff? There's really not all that much yet.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I think a lot of people are just playing through the existing content and then learning how to mod in their own. If the loot were a bit better balanced you'd have a lot of replay value just in playing through with different characters and items. Right now you can just craft the best weapons in your tier immediately and blaze through tiers lightning fast without even having to explore more than one planet a tier, though. I hope they change the boss-fight items to require loot from dungeons to kind of tie in exploration with progression a bit better.

edit: Could also do "challenge modes". No crafting weapons or mining allowed, gotta persist off the bars and weapons you find in chests.

edit2: someone make a dungeon editor that makes modding new dungeons easier pls. Or convince the devs to add a multiplayer dungeon maker mode. I'm eagerly awaiting the day we can put together a goon-approved mod pack.

Coach Sport fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 24, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well I hope their endgame involves story stuff. You've crafted up as high as you can go so it's time to face your race's nemesis and do whatever your starter backstory said your goal is.

Like burning the Floran homeworld :black101:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Coach Sport posted:

I think a lot of people are just playing through the existing content and then learning how to mod in their own. If the loot were a bit better balanced you'd have a lot of replay value just in playing through with different characters and items. Right now you can just craft the best weapons in your tier immediately and blaze through tiers lightning fast without even having to explore more than one planet a tier, though. I hope they change the boss-fight items to require loot from dungeons to kind of tie in exploration with progression a bit better.

edit: Could also do "challenge modes". No crafting weapons or mining allowed, gotta persist off the bars and weapons you find in chests.

Not only that but the blatantly obvious duping glitch I see people use hasn't been patched since the game's release.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The White Dragon posted:

Well I hope their endgame involves story stuff. You've crafted up as high as you can go so it's time to face your race's nemesis and do whatever your starter backstory said your goal is.

Like burning the Floran homeworld :black101:

Given the strong implications that the Hyotl started it, I suspect the Floran are going to come out smelling like roses regardless. :razz:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowabanga posted:

Not only that but the blatantly obvious duping glitch I see people use hasn't been patched since the game's release.

You are aware that the game is in early beta and missing the majority of the content planned, correct?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Verranicus posted:

You are aware that the game is in early beta and missing the majority of the content planned, correct?

I very much am. But it being an early beta doesn't really make it an excuse to not patch something that's not really complicated, especially considering people jump levels so fast using it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowabanga posted:

I very much am. But it being an early beta doesn't really make it an excuse to not patch something that's not really complicated, especially considering people jump levels so fast using it.

At this stage of the beta, content creation is a higher priority than fixing a bug people can simply elect not to exploit if it bothers them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why do you care that other people are "cheating"? Unless you're playing on a multiplayer server with them it doesn't really effect you.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why do you care that other people are "cheating"? Unless you're playing on a multiplayer server with them it doesn't really effect you.

But that's exactly what I do. I never play solo.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Cowabanga posted:

Are you talking about the ship/disconnect dupe trick? You do realize that characters are stored client-side, correct? And that even if your particular bug happened to be squashed the people could still back up their save, beam down to a planet, drop the items they want to dupe in a chest, restore their save and reload the game and rinse and repeat, right?

Until there are server-side characters and a forced teleport off-of-ship as soon as there's a disconnect, you're not going to have your precious "cheat free" server. I don't really get the problem with it either, since the endgame is sandbox building at this point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I still don't see the problem unless their blowing your poo poo up with duped bombs or something, why do you care if they built a to-scale Eiffel tower using duped iron instead of spending 8 hours mining or are off in X-sector planets because they didn't feel like redoing the grind after another beta character wipe?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Speaking of cheating, what's the easiest way to give myself a new robot to fight? I died and when I came back he de-spawned, and I really don't feel like farming up another brain.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cowabanga posted:

to not patch something that's not really complicated
Out of curiosity, how do you know it's not that complicated?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowabanga posted:

Complaining about cheating in a game like this is literally one of the stupidest things you can possibly do.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Kyrosiris posted:

There! How's that?

Awesome, moonbase here I come. Although when I saw your first post about them I thought it could look cool if you had a large one with smaller ones floating/orbiting around it.

On a side note to this mod, how easy is it to detect enclosed areas? Say use something like this to just give oxygen inside your base rather than a set radius.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Complaining about cheating in a game like this is literally one of the stupidest things you can possibly do.

I find enjoyment out of finding stuff for myself instead of having it cheated for me.

That said, when my friends dupe me items or the like it's a simple matter of just not using the items.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Luminaflare posted:

On a side note to this mod, how easy is it to detect enclosed areas? Say use something like this to just give oxygen inside your base rather than a set radius.

Y'know, I'm not sure. I'll work on tinkering with it, see if blocks restrict the air or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe the devs just don't care much about duping at this juncture. If it's getting people later into the game faster, that might not necessarily be a bad thing for testing purposes. They'll have dupes fixed by the time the game is released, but I just can't imagine it being a very high priority right now.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Revol posted:

A new gif was posted on Reddit yesterday.

With this, the vanilla morph ball, and the Avian race we're well on our way.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
e: welp

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
The potential of this game is incredible.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Given the strong implications that the Hyotl started it, I suspect the Floran are going to come out smelling like roses regardless. :razz:

I very much wish it to be true that the Hylotl started the war with the Floran because Hylotl are vegetarians and, well, the Floran are, essentially, walking vegetables...

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zenzirouj posted:

the vanilla morph ball

Speaking of which, is there any particular use for this thing?
I mean, I'm a huge Metroid fan and my character is basically space-dryad Samus so I was really happy to pick it up, but I'm extremely underwhelmed by what it actually does--especially since I can't have it active at the same time as other techs like teleportation, dashing, or doublejump.

I'm still gonna hang onto it for flavor's sake, but if there's a way to really maximize its use I'll be even happier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, it's completely worthless. Unless you specifically build tunnels for it on your home, I guess, but why not build normal tunnels?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

XboxPants posted:

These are beautiful, I'd love to start with tiny ships like these to emphasize your "just starting out" status - as long as you'd be able to upgrade it quickly, that is.
Yea, it would be nice to have stolen a small shuttle for your intro questline, and taking/upgrading to the basic ship from a racial dungeon or colony. Modify the gen so you are guaranteed to start above a planet with one of these.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 24, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Because rolling around tiny tunnels like an ant hill would be awesome

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TerminusEst13 posted:

Speaking of which, is there any particular use for this thing?
I mean, I'm a huge Metroid fan and my character is basically space-dryad Samus so I was really happy to pick it up, but I'm extremely underwhelmed by what it actually does--especially since I can't have it active at the same time as other techs like teleportation, dashing, or doublejump.

I'm still gonna hang onto it for flavor's sake, but if there's a way to really maximize its use I'll be even happier.

Morph while pulling yourself up with the grappling hook to launch yourself incredible distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowabanga posted:

Stop playing with people who do this, stop playing until the game is actually released, or just stop something I guess. They've already said they aren't nearly done with the game yet and each patch has added a ton of features. Sorry they aren't focusing on the one particular thing that bugs you, I guess.

• Locked thread