Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What did you use for the shingles?

Those look like glitch roofing tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Personally, I like to visit mostly Tiny and Small planets. Being able to circumnavigate them is a nice feature, just for how I choose to play, since I don't like moving on to the next planet until I have at the very least explored the entire surface of the one I'm on. Also it's quicker to get to the core and find higher tiered ores. Found enough diamonds on my starter planet's moon to make a diamond pick.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Stumbled across this mod of mild interest to Spacestation 13 players: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ss13-chemistry-mod.169/
Now I'm pining for an SS13 total conversion mod... I mean, the game already has space, temperatures and poop, how hard can the rest of it be?

Also looks like somebody is working on that dungeon editor I was wishing for a while back, too: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starstructor-the-starbound-toolset.152/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Won't have internet until Friday, but work on the Mantizi continues. I have all 10 tiers of their shortswords and broadswords done and working in-game, which includes crafting recipes for the appropriate tiers. Hopefully I'll have every weapon set done by the time I can upload pictures again.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Hey, have you updated your homesick mod for the latest version?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kly posted:

Hey, have you updated your homesick mod for the latest version?
No, not yet. Spending the Christmas holiday with my family.
Also, still haven't quite taken the time to figure out how this whole merge syntax works, so probably going to end up having to look up a tutorial for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Vib Rib posted:

Personally, I like to visit mostly Tiny and Small planets. Being able to circumnavigate them is a nice feature, just for how I choose to play, since I don't like moving on to the next planet until I have at the very least explored the entire surface of the one I'm on. Also it's quicker to get to the core and find higher tiered ores. Found enough diamonds on my starter planet's moon to make a diamond pick.

I didn't even know you could circumnavigate a planet or there was a core. The tunnels into ground kind of suck since most of them end really early on. How do you keep going down, just dig randomly?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

goodness posted:

I didn't even know you could circumnavigate a planet or there was a core. The tunnels into ground kind of suck since most of them end really early on. How do you keep going down, just dig randomly?

Some planets are more honey combed and cavernous than others. If you make a habit of placing torches along your descent, you will often shine enough light to spy a nearby tunnel which you dig to and you repeat this so many times until you fall out into some massive rear end cavern which in turn leads into I don't know, a tomb of some long forgotten dead race or god knows what else and if you keep digging long enough you might just fall out into an endless sea of lava (the planetary core).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Some planets are more honey combed and cavernous than others. If you make a habit of placing torches along your descent, you will often shine enough light to spy a nearby tunnel which you dig to and you repeat this so many times until you fall out into some massive rear end cavern which in turn leads into I don't know, a tomb of some long forgotten dead race or god knows what else and if you keep digging long enough you might just fall out into an endless sea of lava (the planetary core).

Ok that makes sense. Compared to terraria, I almost never use torches since I have to spend 2 seconds breaking them down. It should be instant.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Can you actually circumnavigate the core faster than the surface, or is it just a rectangular map that loops at the ends?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

goodness posted:

Usually, on a small sized planet, only a few of the surface tunnels will lead to what I call the "true" underground. So you either find one and follow it down or just do some exploratory digging from a low point, and before you know it you'll find huge, open caverns that put Terraria's to shame. Lots of ore and chests to find down there, not to mention underground sub-biomes which can be pretty drat cool. There are also different enemies depending on depth and biome, which reflects on the "how many monsters per planet?" question a lot of people had when the game wasn't out yet. Estimates were usually pretty low, around 5 unique species per planet was a common guess.

Anyway, the underground is fun to just explore. Just as much as the surface sometimes. And often mineral-rich.

LAY-ZX posted:

Can you actually circumnavigate the core faster than the surface, or is it just a rectangular map that loops at the ends?
That second one.

Most planets are HUGE. A tiny-size planet (the smallest) is only about 2048 blocks wide. But the largest is 16000 across, which takes several in-game days to traverse (far more if you only travel during the day, to help spot surface ore deposits).

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 25, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I honestly wish that vines didn't take like over a minute to cut down with the matter manipulator. They're vines.

e: I know that axes cut them down faster. It just seems stupid when in all reality someone could just pull them down if they really felt like it.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 25, 2013

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I honestly wish that vines didn't take like over a minute to cut down with the matter manipulator. They're vines.

Make an axe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

goodness posted:

Ok that makes sense. Compared to terraria, I almost never use torches since I have to spend 2 seconds breaking them down. It should be instant.

I tend to just leave the trail of torches and not bother to regrab them. :shobon:

They're too easy to make to bother worrying about.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

goodness posted:

Picks remove torches almost instantly anyway.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

e: I know that axes cut them down faster. It just seems stupid when in all reality someone could just pull them down if they really felt like it.
Do you really think people can just sort of lazily tug vines apart with their bare hands?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Woah, I just disabled the Steam overlay for Starbound and it can now run on my laptop. Not just run, but run smoothly. Who'd have thought that it would be that simple to deal with almost all the lag in the game?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

How dare you insinuate this isn't perfect as-is :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest downside to digging deep is how much time you spend standing in front of a rock holding the mouse button down.. even with upgraded tools it's a slog.

I have a lot more fun just running along the surface, mining what ores I see and slaughtering any villages I encounter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

Do you really think people can just sort of lazily tug vines apart with their bare hands?

No, I think that the thing that can fairly easily make tunnels in dirt and break apart basic rock can probably rip though a relatively thin bit of plant matter sometime this era without another ice age settling in.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lallander posted:

Those look like glitch roofing tiles.

I stole them from an Avian's house.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xzzy posted:

slaughtering any villages I encounter.

Well SOMEBODY isn't going to get the good ending :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

No, I think that the thing that can fairly easily make tunnels in dirt and break apart basic rock can probably rip though a relatively thin bit of plant matter sometime this era without another ice age settling in.
Rock takes longer than vines though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Well SOMEBODY isn't going to get the good ending :colbert:

Hey man those pixel requirements get pretty steep and I got a habit to feed.

Most fun is to go back to alpha or beta and chase the entire populace into a clump, the guards can't do poo poo to stop you.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Vib Rib posted:

I think the point is that it takes just long enough to harvest vines that it's tedious. I doubt that even making vine removal almost instantaneous would imbalance the game or anything since there're what, two things you need vines to craft? (neither of which break the game if you're able to make huge batches of them them on demand)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

It takes longer to break through vines than it does cobblestone. Like twice as long.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Find a planet with flower trees, chop them down, and get enough vines to literally last a lifetime. Alternative solution: Go to a jungle planet and go chop crazy on the flora. Slicing your weapon at the plants on the ground in jungles will grant you tons of vines as well.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

That second one.

That's a bummer. I was kinda hoping it would be a triangular map to simulate the planet actually being round.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Or the devs could spend half a second to change what's probably a single value sometime, but sure, it's in the name of good game design and saving time to have a vine take as much time as a tree to chop down with the most basic tool when it comes to new players/characters that need bandages.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Or you could change that single value somewhere since the game is so friendly when it comes to that.

Or you could make an axe.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MeinGott posted:

Make an axe.

Unless you're pretty much parallel to the vines, you aren't able to cut from the top (and as a result can't mine the block it's attached to). Vines are one of the things I wish were done like Terraria, in that you could slice through them (well, spiderwebs in Terraria) with the weapon in hand (maybe minus hammers and guns, for obvious reasons).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nevermind, forgot that feedback on a beta is taboo. :psyduck:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I'm with you dude, vines should be way easier to cut than trees. Add in that you can't stack blocks underneath them to reach to the top and it's a little bit of a pain in the rear end.

Just because the game is open to modders doesn't mean that's the "solution". At least 95% of people who buy a game don't know a thing about modifying files to adjust item settings, nor should they be.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

This game is perfect in every way, please stop trolling with your posts. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

No, not yet. Spending the Christmas holiday with my family.
Also, still haven't quite taken the time to figure out how this whole merge syntax works, so probably going to end up having to look up a tutorial for it.

It's pretty simple. Here's my Estus Flask's player.config now:

code:
{
  "__merge" : [],
  "defaultBlueprints" : {
    "tier1" : [
      { "item" : "bonfire" },
      { "item" : "estusflask" }
    ],
    "tier2" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus1" }
    ],
    "tier4" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus2" }
    ],
    "level33" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus3" }
    ],
    "level35" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus4" }
    ],
    "level37" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus5" }
    ]
  }
}
So basically to inject all your recipes, just do like it is there. That's literally all you need to inject new recipes now. :)

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

It's not that people don't want feedback or discussion, you're just sort of late to the party being that the MM effectiveness for everything has been talked to death.

We know that the Matter Manipulator isn't intended as a do-all until later on in the development process. We'll apparently be able to upgrade the MM to be more effective at everything. Right now though, there are other tools in the game that you use, or just learn how to mod.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's pretty simple. Here's my Estus Flask's player.config now:

code:
    "level33" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus3" }
    ],
    "level35" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus4" }
    ],
    "level37" : [
	  { "item" : "estusflaskplus5" }
So basically to inject all your recipes, just do like it is there. That's literally all you need to inject new recipes now. :)

What do level33/35/37 correspond to? Some of the current cheese-the-later-tier upgrades or what?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Your complaint is "this takes too long if I'm using the wrong tool".
It takes like 1 minute to get the axe, which you need for trees anyway. Why is this such a big deal that it's now on the devs to "fix" it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

shymog posted:

What do level33/35/37 correspond to? Some of the current cheese-the-later-tier upgrades or what?

Tiers 6/8/10. They don't have proper bosses and actual structure yet, but the armor and weapons are available to make.

The point of the mod is so that at any given tech level, assuming best armor available, you only ever need to use 5 "bandages" to get to max HP (instead of relying on 30 HP restoring pieces of poo poo when you have 500 max HP at tier 10).

Edit: I should probably link to it, huh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Thank you very much, Kyrosiris! I'll work on the mods when I get a chance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I think :psyduck: still sums up my response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Thank you very much, Kyrosiris! I'll work on the mods when I get a chance.

No prob. If you're gonna do more complex stuff, like deleting recipes and poo poo, then it does get weird, but if you're just adding stuff, it's pretty simple.

You can modify stanzas in the same way, like my combo lantern/breath tank that I posted earlier.

• Locked thread