Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
That. Is. Too. Cute.

He looks like a cute little plushy in the second picture.
And the awesome derp in the last one, that's way too much. :) :) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Hey, Tegan, how are you enjoying the sno-

Er, nevermind.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My guys are loving the snow too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ISyxAEXA4

catamar
May 23, 2008
Aw man, I threw Holly a bunch of snowballs and she wouldn't even try to catch them! She just ate them when they hit the ground. She was sooooooo excited about the snow but she's pretty sure the shovel is some new horrible kind of vacuum.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That's my old girl Indra. Welsh-Corgi Cardigan who turned 12 on november 2nd - but still acting like a puppy.

Yep, Queen of dah hood.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Nobnob posted:

That's my old girl Indra. Welsh-Corgi Cardigan who turned 12 on november 2nd - but still acting like a puppy.

Wow - so impressed she is 12! She is wicked cute to boot :3:

And my Cardi also enjoyed the first snow of this year:

hurf

catamar
May 23, 2008
Cardigan party!!! Holly loves the snow but not the free Petco antlers.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That's probably one of the best picture I've ever seen.

Just came home and saw Indra sleeping like this.

I wonder what she was dreaming of.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This might be better suited for the training thread, I'm not sure, but our new puppy is a purebred Corgi, so I figured I'd ask here first. I'm going to some (more) classes next week as well, and the school owners are super friendly and helpful so I'm sure they have some advice too.

Is there some sort of magical rule of thumb for exercising my puppy? I'm pretty sure I overdid it this past week, letting him get to know his new neighborhood in stages, and his paws were a little sore yesterday.

He'll happily stay out in the freezing cold and/or snow and/or rain until he's shivering (and I'm well past that), so I can't exactly use his physical state as a guide since everything is new and exciting and oh my god what is that smell can I fit it in my mouth who is that person I want to say hi run run run.

Is there some sort of recommended time per session or something?

He's 10 weeks old now, I'm crate training him, and he goes out breakfast/lunch/dinner and midmorning/afternoon/evening (night :gonk:), but I usually only let him sniff around and explore briefly after he poops or pees on the shorter outings. The longer ones I've gone up to 45 minutes but I'm feeling like that's too long - maybe 15-30 at this stage, depending on weather and his mood?

Also it's scary how fast he learns things, I'm so hosed once he enters his more rebellious phase :ohdear:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I read that dog's paws are akin to human hands, so if you don't want to put your hand one something due to temperature, then don't put your dog on it.

He is a cutie though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not really an option with the weather the way its been unfortunately :(

He's getting really good about going immediately when I take him out (and whining or sniffing to indicate he needs to go, working on bells), so if its really nasty I'll take him out to use the bathroom then back in again immediately.

But he usually wants to explore afterwards, which is fine, I'm just concerned about duration (and his paws, on the bad days - I picked up some paw balm stuff for him today to help with that).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Have you tried booties? With food training it might work for him .

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Have you tried booties? With food training it might work for him .

We tried some a bit ago and he really didn't like them, but I'll give them a shot again. He thinks foot wax stuff is delicious! I'll see if bitter apple fixes that :v:

General question about his herding instinct. He's manifesting it occasionally pretty strongly (growling/lunging/biting at feet while moving) - he doesn't do this all the time, usually he's chill about walking without pulling, but when he gets excited or grumpy he'll start playing attack the evil foot.

So far I've been attempting to stop this by stopping movement completely and redirecting him to a sit/stay/treat distraction. This usually gets him to knock it off after a few bouts. Is this the right way of dulling this behavior over time, or am I simply teaching him that growling and biting feet is going to get him a treat?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's holiday time!

Otto likes to sleep.

Otto is majestic.

Otto does not like baths.

Otto got to meet Santa!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mordiceius posted:

Otto does not like baths.

That's too cute to be real. How old is he?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nobnob posted:

That's too cute to be real. How old is he?

Twelve weeks tomorrow.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Playing in the snow. She broke off one of her toenails 2-3 weeks ago, but all the limp is gone.

And goddamnit google, why do you make youtube link to my real name now? Stupid fucker. Pretend it's a video.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Found this the other day while visiting family in Florida. Apparently they had a Cardigan as well, but she couldn't find it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thylacine posted:

And goddamnit google, why do you make youtube link to my real name now? Stupid fucker. Pretend it's a video.

If you had a Youtube account before Google merged everything, there should be an option to pick which account is displayed (or something like that).

Also that photo is super-cute.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

If you had a Youtube account before Google merged everything, there should be an option to pick which account is displayed (or something like that).

Also that photo is super-cute.

I finally found the option so I could use my old username.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oUCdeoQbtc

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Welp I've posted up our annual blog post for Christmas card outtakes. Our poor tortured pups. As usual, there were lots and lots of derp faces. Here's a preview:

Dexter was soo pissed, haha.

You can see the rest right here.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Crunch Bucket posted:

Welp I've posted up our annual blog post for Christmas card outtakes. Our poor tortured pups. As usual, there were lots and lots of derp faces. Here's a preview:

All of these are so great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Otto doesn't like when I don't share my lollipop.

http://youtu.be/xZoaO9LNeGI

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My parents were throwing out old photos. This one of our old corgi, Ellie, was too great to let go though. I was still dressed up in my costume from high school Spirit Week (and high on painkillers from a knee surgery).

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-25-cutest-corgi-puppies-currently-online?s=mobile

Saw this today. Isn't Neville Longbottom's owner a goon? Best name for a dog btw

NCPar8hd
Jul 24, 2006
This is Willow aka Willers McGillers aka "Hey stop chewing on that".
We are getting ready to go get her favorite treat. Chicken nuggets from a local place called Cook Out.

This is her not understanding why I am laughing at her instead of helping her.

A few weeks ago, I had to put Willow to sleep. She was 14 years old. She was one of the best dogs I've ever owned. I still remember the day my wife and I brought her home. We stayed at her parents house for a couple days. They had a couple shih tzus, and Willow, all of 7 or 8 weeks old, immediately herded them into a corner and wouldn't let them out. She tried herding the cats too, but they just stared at her.

She never met a person she didn't like. If you came over to my house, she practically wouldn't leave you alone until you pet her. She would shake her little butt to pieces when she got excited.

The house seems empty without her. My cats and I definitely miss her.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'm so sorry for your loss, Willow looks like such a sweetie :( I'm sure she appreciated the 14 years of love you gave her.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, NC. She seems like such a sweet dog :( We are probably in the final days of my 16 year old Yorkie's life and it's just been absolutely brutal this week.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Are corgis usually good at reading eyes? I've had dogs who would look where you were looking to see what's going on, but Holly just stares into my eyeballs. I'm trying to shape fetch and she sometimes forgets what we're doing so I try to look at the toy we're using, but she totally doesn't get it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

This might be a weird question, but I may be heading to the UK soon, and I was wondering if there was anything special a corgi lover might do while there, like if taking a trip to Pembroke would be worth it or whatever.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey had a rough week last week, we are now beginning to experience potty issues with him. We make a point to talk calmly and sweetly to him when he potties inside, but I feel terrible as he clearly knows he's not supposed to be pottying inside. It upsets him. It's also been incredibly inconvenient cleaning up so much mess, so I did some research and have a bunch of belly bands ordered. We ordered his wheelchair last weekend, and it's already here. We are going to do 5 days of positive association training before we let him try it out. He continues to have good and bad days, with the good far outweighing the bad. I'm really looking forward to the renewed mobility he will have again once we have him acclimated to the chair. It'll be great to be able to take him out on walks again and have him enjoying this world he loves so much!

catamar posted:

Are corgis usually good at reading eyes? I've had dogs who would look where you were looking to see what's going on, but Holly just stares into my eyeballs. I'm trying to shape fetch and she sometimes forgets what we're doing so I try to look at the toy we're using, but she totally doesn't get it.

Mine are not big eye readers, but they pay a whole lot of attention to body language. Try gesturing maybe? I use a lot of hand commands with my verbal commands, so they are pretty constantly "checking in" and acting accordingly.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

First wheelchair acclimation training a BIG success, I am so glad we have a solid clicker training foundation! :) Both corgis offering pawing + holding/nudging behavior in less than 5 min! Reward was hotdog bits and cheddar cheese, jackpots when they increased their behaviors with the chair. Phew, really thought they'd be scared of it. What a relief!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

First wheelchair acclimation training a BIG success, I am so glad we have a solid clicker training foundation! :) Both corgis offering pawing + holding/nudging behavior in less than 5 min! Reward was hotdog bits and cheddar cheese, jackpots when they increased their behaviors with the chair. Phew, really thought they'd be scared of it. What a relief!

Aww, Bailey! I hope he takes to it like a champ. Sorry to hear he's going a little downhill. All our love!

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Just remembered this thread existed. My wife and I got our pup the day after Christmas. We named him Ein because we are horrible unoriginal nerds. He's 21 weeks now.

Looking regal.

That drat corgi stare.

Here he is questioning why I am having him pose for my camera.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the vet tomorrow. Our 7 year old Corgi in the last week and a half we've noticed is drinking a lot more water and having to pee more often. At first it didn't seem so out of the ordinary but it just kept on going, and now we're noticing she is acting kind of funny about walking on the linoleum floors and every so often she will drag one of her hind her legs momentarily if on a slippery surface.

As you can imagine my google searches on these symptoms have me absolutely paralyzed with anxiety and fearing the worst. Anyone else had this happen and what did it end up being? The leg stuff suggests some kind of ruptured disc from what I am reading, but the thirst stuff seems to point to kidneys. I'm just stressed the gently caress out right now and probably going to have a full anxiety attack at the vet tomorrow.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

At this point it could be a great many things. I know you've already done some of it, but I recommend trying to not diagnose the issues off of internet searches. You might get it right, you might freak yourself out over nothing, or you might think it's fine when it's not.

Onset of arthritis is more common than ruptured discs and can make some dogs look like they're dragging their leg a bit. A disk could certainly be an issue, but you need diagnostics and examinations.

Increased thirst and urination can be caused by a lot of things and I wouldn't get stuck to a kidney diagnosis just yet. Again, it could be kidneys, but there needs to be diagnostics and examinations. A lot of things that cause that are also treatable.

Speculating is just going to scare you now or lead to you being surprised and scared when the diagnostics get back.

Take a deep breath. Calm down. Have some alcohol or something.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ApexAftermath posted:

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the vet tomorrow. Our 7 year old Corgi in the last week and a half we've noticed is drinking a lot more water and having to pee more often. At first it didn't seem so out of the ordinary but it just kept on going, and now we're noticing she is acting kind of funny about walking on the linoleum floors and every so often she will drag one of her hind her legs momentarily if on a slippery surface.

As you can imagine my google searches on these symptoms have me absolutely paralyzed with anxiety and fearing the worst. Anyone else had this happen and what did it end up being? The leg stuff suggests some kind of ruptured disc from what I am reading, but the thirst stuff seems to point to kidneys. I'm just stressed the gently caress out right now and probably going to have a full anxiety attack at the vet tomorrow.

Well the good news is that your dog probably doesn't have a ruptured disk since that's usually more of a "screaming in pain when you stand" sort of thing. If I had to guess (which I do because I've never even seen your dog and am not a doctor), I'd say diabetes is more likely. The three most common symptoms are excessive drinking, excessive peeing, and excessive eating. The hunger thing usually isn't noticeable in dogs because most dogs eat like goldfish. Oh, and undiagnosed diabetes also frequently causes neurological issues especially in the feet. The good news is that diabetes is pretty manageable if that's what it turns out to be.

Edit: Echoing what HelloSailorSign said. It could be anything and the best thing is to be calm.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 4, 2014

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Take a deep breath. Calm down. Have some alcohol or something.

This. I was at work at fretting at the time of that post, but have since returned home to a bottle of whiskey. Jewel is currently snuggled up with me on the couch while I watch some Game of Thrones and all is right in the universe for the moment. Thanks for the reassuring posts!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
So I've not posted in here in forever, and figured I'd share some of my girls adventures.

Here she is all worn out during our road trip from TX to TN last year....

Here she discovered sand for the first time on the gulf coast in Mississippi...

And here she is getting her first experience swimming... She kept trying to jump over the tide waves as they came in, I almost fell over laughing...

And here she is doing the trademark corgi flop after getting home from the groomer... begging me to remove the bows.

Almost forgot to post the most important one... She's decided that when we don't allow her on the bed, that she can commando crawl her way underneath... Not much more clearance than her head so she usually gets about this far and quits...

Hobold fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I thought I would give an update on what we found out at the vet. She was diagnosed with addison's disease. They kept her on an IV overnight since her electrolytes were low, but we have her back now. She will be on meds for the rest of her time now, but it appears this is pretty manageable so I'm just glad it wasn't anything worse. She is still pretty tired but should be back to her old self in no time from what the vet is saying.

• Locked thread