Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Gotta keep those faxes secure yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Thought I would point out something interesting in the latest bill that passed for State secrets in Japan.

Japan Times link on it

The relevant bit is this:

quote:

The fourth rule is that anything pertaining to nuclear energy is a state secret.
Seems to scream, that there may be something horrible going on at Fukushima either present or in the past that they are trying to keep under the rug. In addition, if the whole clean up process also constitutes "nuclear energy." Then anyone that might have their safety violated during the plant, probably won't be able to seek public assistance in reparations because the whole thing is a state secret. Whole dam thing wreaks of Japan's usual cronyism and corruption.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

Thought I would point out something interesting in the latest bill that passed for State secrets in Japan.

Japan Times link on it

The relevant bit is this:

Seems to scream, that there may be something horrible going on at Fukushima either present or in the past that they are trying to keep under the rug. In addition, if the whole clean up process also constitutes "nuclear energy." Then anyone that might have their safety violated during the plant, probably won't be able to seek public assistance in reparations because the whole thing is a state secret. Whole dam thing wreaks of Japan's usual cronyism and corruption.

God drat it quit screwing nuclear energy for the rest of the world, TEPCO/Japan!

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
One of my favorite bands, Yellow Magic Orchestra, linked to http://anti-secrecy.jimdo.com/ so I was wondering if anyone would care to translate this header.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basically, it's "Society for People Involved in Fields of Expression Through Media Such as Music, Art, Acting, Televisual Arts and Publishing who are Opposed to the Special Secrets Protection Law (Abbreviated to: Society for Artists)"

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 5, 2013

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like the set of people who are actually in favor of the bill is the same as the set of people who get to vote on it, possibly with the addition of career bureaucrats and TEPCO, so it's almost redundant to note that any specific group of artists/lawyers/nobel prize winners/[whatever the English term is for bunkakourousha]/deities/slaves to the system are against it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 5, 2013

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Pretty much the same way the early ending of the corporate tax increase benefits parliamentarians since most all of them have their fingers all over businesses, not to mention wanting to keep their future amakudari options open.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Kenishi posted:

Seems to scream, that there may be something horrible going on at Fukushima either present or in the past that they are trying to keep under the rug. In addition, if the whole clean up process also constitutes "nuclear energy."

I think it might be related to the US concept of Born Secret - that some technology (basically only nuclear technology) is secret no matter whether it was independently rediscovered elsewhere. But I think you're correct and it is a way to cover up Fukushima.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow, what a lovely bill:

quote:

(1)  次に掲げる者による故意又は過失による漏えいを処罰する。

ア 特定秘密を取り扱うことを業務とする者(自由刑の上限は懲役10年)

イ 1(2)エにより特定秘密を知得した者(自由刑の上限は懲役5年)

(2) 人を欺き、人に暴行を加え、又は人を脅迫する行為、財物の窃取、施設への侵入、不正アクセス行為その他の特定秘密の保有者の管理を害する行為による特定秘密の取得行為を処罰する(自由刑の上限は懲役10年)

(3) (1)(故意に限る。)又は(2)の行為の未遂、共謀、教唆又は煽動を処罰する。

I think it's pretty clear that if a reporter knowingly asked a government official about secret information and had information leaked to them as a result, the reporter could be charged under this. And just acting like it's OK to put whatever bullshit you want in your laws because the judiciary will make sure it ends up being reasonable is ridiculous.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Funny thing is I bet this is getting much less protest than the nuclear stuff, even though it's really way more important. Goddamn Japanese kids too content doing baito and drinking their youth away to go raise hell on the streets every once in a while.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

LimburgLimbo posted:

Funny thing is I bet this is getting much less protest than the nuclear stuff, even though it's really way more important. Goddamn Japanese kids too content doing baito and drinking their youth away to go raise hell on the streets every once in a while.

Protest? I think you mean acts of terrorism right?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/12/01/national/secrecy-law-protests-act-of-terrorism-ldp-secretary-general/

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

This could be a very positive step if they are actually able to come to some sort of agreement.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/11/30/national/japan-south-korean-lawmakers-call-for-joint-history-textbooks-with-china/

quote:

Japanese and South Korean lawmakers working to promote bilateral exchanges issued a statement in Tokyo on Saturday urging their governments and China to produce joint Northeast Asian history textbooks.

The Japan-Korea Parliamentarians’ Union, together with its South Korean counterpart, the Korea-Japan Parliamentarians’ Union, pushed for the books to cover the history of their two nations and China’s at a combined general meeting at the Diet.

Now its likely to hit some sort of deadlock and go nowhere, but one can hope right?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wibbleman posted:

This could be a very positive step if they are actually able to come to some sort of agreement.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/11/30/national/japan-south-korean-lawmakers-call-for-joint-history-textbooks-with-china/

Now its likely to hit some sort of deadlock and go nowhere, but one can hope right?

I don't see it going anywhere, but it's a nice gesture.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Chapter 23: Japan's peaceful expansion into Asia (written by Japan)
Chapter 24: Japan's brutal occupation of Asia (written by Korea)

I don't see how they can combine the content any other way than that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I doubt it'd go beyond Chapter 1: country X invented thing Y first, and the resulting screaming match.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I doubt it'd go beyond Chapter 1: country X invented thing Y first, and the resulting screaming match.

Chapter 1: The entirely realistic founding of our nation by the not-legendary emperor X in territory Y in 4000 BC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I once heard a Chinese person say that Japan was founded by cowards who deserted the first Chinese emperor, so if China was in on it I'm sure that would have to be incorporated in too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

shitthatdidnthappen.txt: The Xia Dynasty edition

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Um, no, because the Japanese totally evolved from breed of ape different from the ones that became other humans, making them totally unique.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

jigokuman posted:

Um, no, because the Japanese totally evolved from breed of ape different from the ones that became other humans, making them totally unique.

Obviously; that's why their body temperature is 2 degrees lower than the rest of the human species.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
And their intestines are longer, so that they may more easily digest vegetable foodstuffs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A long time ago I watched an anime where a character matter-of-factly said that Japanese have less saliva than other people. Is that a widespread belief? Unlike some of these, I have never heard it elsewhere.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

A long time ago I watched an anime where a character matter-of-factly said that Japanese have less saliva than other people. Is that a widespread belief? Unlike some of these, I have never heard it elsewhere.

Never heard the saliva one before. Of the above-mentioned beliefs, I've def heard the 'long intestines' one the most.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

So how do these idiots reconcile mixed race children? i.e if the Japanese were that genetically divergent they wouldn't be able to pro-create with other people/humans/races etc.

hmmm this may explain the worried look from the doctor when I visited the hospital with my wife for a pregnancy check up, maybe they thought it was going to be some alien monster.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wibbleman posted:

So how do these idiots reconcile mixed race children? i.e if the Japanese were that genetically divergent they wouldn't be able to pro-create with other people/humans/races etc.

hmmm this may explain the worried look from the doctor when I visited the hospital with my wife for a pregnancy check up, maybe they thought it was going to be some alien monster.

Better yet how do they explain the Ainu/Ryukyuan . "Oh, well they were clearly an inferior breed that took a divergent path which is why we treated them like poo poo"

Or why they treat the burakumin like poo poo. Really, any good reason for why they hype Japanese supremacy but still treat citizens like poo poo for expressing unique opinions.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 10, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wibbleman posted:

There are actual species that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Wibbleman posted:

It's like half-elves, you just get a reduced version of each parent's bonuses.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Benly posted:

It's like half-elves, you just get a reduced version of each parent's bonuses.

Putting the DnD in D&D :golfclap:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So, the mayor of Tokyo (Naoki Inose) resigned over the scandal of accepting 50 million yen donation for his election campaign and not reporting it - money that "would be rude to refuse when offered", as Inose put it. Who's gonna fill his shoes?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Not Mayor, Governor. So his role isn't as huge. Japan likes the scandals with under the table funds, its what caused a huge shake up in the election reporting system back in the early 90s.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kenishi posted:

Not Mayor, Governor. So his role isn't as huge. Japan likes the scandals with under the table funds, its what caused a huge shake up in the election reporting system back in the early 90s.

There is no mayor of Tokyo, since there is no Tokyo City. Pretty sure the power situation is different than Osaka Prefecture and Osaka City, and that the role is rather big.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kenishi posted:

Ain't that what dragged down Ozawa eventually as well?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/12/26/national/abe-to-visit-war-linked-yasukuni-shrine-during-morning-govt/

I'm just glad my English conversation school is out for winter break already. We've got some Korean and Chinese teachers, as well as Japanese language program full of Asian students, and the mood in the office just turns to poo poo every drat time.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I'm just pissed because I work on the Cabinet press releases and he just guaranteed me another straight night of going home on the last train because of his boneheadedness :argh:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Was reading some of the NETOUYO comments on Twitter (yeah, I should know better) and someone was saying something about how if the "Mitsubishi Trial" in the Korean Supreme Court gets a certain ruling, something-something-something Japan will have no choice but to sever all relations with Korea yay! I tried some cursory Googling but couldn't figure out much. Anyone know what this about?

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Mezzanine posted:

Was reading some of the NETOUYO comments on Twitter (yeah, I should know better) and someone was saying something about how if the "Mitsubishi Trial" in the Korean Supreme Court gets a certain ruling, something-something-something Japan will have no choice but to sever all relations with Korea yay! I tried some cursory Googling but couldn't figure out much. Anyone know what this about?

I think, if its the same case. That back in 2012, the Korean supreme court decided that the existence of the 1965 treaty, which resolved all issues of compensation (between the governments) didn't invalidate the right of individual families to seek compensation. So some families took Mitsubishi to court to seek compensation for their relatives who were conscripted into forced labor.

This article from July 2012 says that Mitsubishi was appealing the decision to award 7million yen to each person's estate. So I guess they are commenting on if the appeal loses (or has already been lost).

I personally think the companies should just pony up the cash, but I guess they don't want to set a precedent (in which case they should do a out of court settlement etc). But on the other hand, it's pretty unusual for countries to decide to ignore sections of treaties they have signed, and possibly is not legal under international law. Treaties are binding for a reason, and if you decide to recant latter on the compromises you made, it leaves the other party out in the cold. And likely will lead to other countries being a bit wary of signing any treaties with you in the future.

Mezzanine posted:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/12/26/national/abe-to-visit-war-linked-yasukuni-shrine-during-morning-govt/

I'm just glad my English conversation school is out for winter break already. We've got some Korean and Chinese teachers, as well as Japanese language program full of Asian students, and the mood in the office just turns to poo poo every drat time.

Meh, he hasn't gained anything from South Korea or China for not going, they have given him the cold shoulder at pretty much every meeting, so I guess he decided to go for the short term political gain. Also as MTC stated on his blog, the old political rule is "You gotta dance with them what brung ya" so he needed to appease his political base, and as he was getting nothing from snubbing them, it sorta makes sense.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Mezzanine posted:

I have to say, whether intentional or not, I like that he did this right around Mao's birthday, i.e. the day official veneration of a leader whose policies led to the outright murder of several million Chinese and the starvation of tens of millions more reaches its peak.

Still a grossly inappropriate thing to do, from both a practical and a moral perspective, but the hypocrisy of the Chinese government on this issue makes me highly unsympathetic to their rhetoric.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Abe is a for real nationalist/revisionist and the totalitarian Chinese government exploits history to shore up their own power. They were made for each other. Neither the Japanese nor the Chinese public has any rational point of view on east asia, at least as us Westerners might view it. In my personal experience, Japanese and Chinese people have a lot of differences that are completely surmountable as long as no one jumps in to remind them that they are supposed to hate each other.

Abe is pretty deft as a politician, but if you ask why he visits Yasukuni, it's because he wants to go there. He is a bone fide Japanese right winger, to the right of the Emperor.

He does not run the whole country and he was not reelected because Japanese people in general are like him, though the Western narrative is that Japanese are suddenly becoming warlike. He stumbled back into office on the back of a national disaster and a particularly ineffectual opposition government that squandered every opportunity to take leadership. Japanese people are pretty much exactly the same now as they were five years ago. They are not becoming more warlike, and they are not becoming more nationalistic than they were before. I am from an extremely nationalistic country, and I know what that bullshit looks like.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 26, 2013

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Lemmi Caution posted:

Abe is a for real nationalist/revisionist and the totalitarian Chinese government exploits history to shore up their own power. They were made for each other. Neither the Japanese nor the Chinese public has any rational point of view on east asia, at least as us Westerners might view it. In my personal experience, Japanese and Chinese people have a lot of differences that are completely surmountable as long as no one jumps in to remind them that they are supposed to hate each other.

Abe is pretty deft as a politician, but if you ask why he visits Yasukuni, it's because he wants to go there. He is a bone fide Japanese right winger, to the right of the Emperor.

He does not run the whole country and he was not reelected because Japanese people in general are like him, though the Western narrative is that Japanese are suddenly becoming warlike. He stumbled back into office on the back of a national disaster and a particularly ineffectual opposition government that squandered every opportunity to take leadership. Japanese people are pretty much exactly the same now as they were five years ago. They are not becoming more warlike, and they are not becoming more nationalistic than they were before. I am from an extremely nationalistic country, and I know what that bullshit looks like.

I agree with most of this post, but I don't quite understand the bolded part. I feel like every other article I've read about Abe in the past year in mainstream western publications has included a line that's the equivalent of "he has a mandate to fix the economy and if he goes beyond that he'll run into trouble." In fact, I think this claim is exaggerated, at least on this issue- most Japanese people don't have a problem with the Prime Minister visiting the shrine, so I doubt it will hurt him much- though it's on the mark for constitutional revision and the recently passed secrets bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

dilbertschalter posted:

I agree with most of this post, but I don't quite understand the bolded part. I feel like every other article I've read about Abe in the past year in mainstream western publications has included a line that's the equivalent of "he has a mandate to fix the economy and if he goes beyond that he'll run into trouble." In fact, I think this claim is exaggerated, at least on this issue- most Japanese people don't have a problem with the Prime Minister visiting the shrine, so I doubt it will hurt him much- though it's on the mark for constitutional revision and the recently passed secrets bill.

There have been a lot of articles about the conservatives trying to push through constitutional amendments and the recent confirmation of a small increase in Japan's defense budget saw a lot of press, a fair amount of it somewhat hyperbolic.