Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

MadBimber posted:

Even at that speed it still took him seven minutes to reach the core. Starbound planets are massive.

On planet size, can all planets be circumnavigated? Tiny planets are pretty quick, but my latest starter planet was one of the huge ones and I never made it all the way around. I spent a number of day/night cycles going right, died doing something stupid, and turned around and spent a few days going left. Going left I never managed to get back to the last place I had reached going right (then I gave up, built the distress beacon, and left).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not My Leg posted:

On planet size, can all planets be circumnavigated? Tiny planets are pretty quick, but my latest starter planet was one of the huge ones and I never made it all the way around. I spent a number of day/night cycles going right, died doing something stupid, and turned around and spent a few days going left. Going left I never managed to get back to the last place I had reached going right (then I gave up, built the distress beacon, and left).

Planets are not infinite, no.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

MadBimber posted:

Even at that speed it still took him seven minutes to reach the core. Starbound planets are massive.

They can be massive. If you start at a tiny planet, you can find caves that will take you straight to lava/ obsidian layers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

There is a fuckload of mods now. Could I get some recommendations? Also they fully work on mac right?

The most important mode is Chuckletidus. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/chuckletidus.374/

After that though..

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/fully-customizable-ship.39/ - Fully Customizable Ship (works on Multiplayer

Those are my two favorite mods. There is apparently a Space station 13 Chemistry mod that exists too, and I expect I'll be trying that soon.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Here's a small preview of a species mod I'm working on with I Said No:

This race is garbage! Meet the Blattra

Right now I'm trying to figure out starter clothing, they only have the one plastic bag shirt at the moment and the rest are placeholders (you can see Floran leggings in the second screenshot.) They also get a nifty banana hat which you can craft from one banana :v: I think they'll be in a releasable state after we do some more clothing/armor, and their regen animation. Still a lot of work to do though including their other items and ship design, etc.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Voltin Bolt posted:

Right now I'm trying to figure out starter clothing, they only have the one plastic bag shirt at the moment and the rest are placeholders (you can see Floran leggings in the second screenshot.) They also get a nifty banana hat which you can craft from one banana :v: I think they'll be in a releasable state after we do some more clothing/armor, and their regen animation. Still a lot of work to do though including their other items and ship design, etc.

:lol: Please tell me the investigate text for Apex players viewing your furniture will include "WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God drat the Blattra own. It'll be tough to choose between them or the Florans later on down the road..

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Reminds me of the Prawns from District 9, awesome.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Preechr posted:

:lol: Please tell me the investigate text for Apex players viewing your furniture will include "WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?"
"Frankly, I find the idea of a Bug that thinks offensive!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Here is why I do not mind the wait time on the Furnace.

Because at times, especially earlier, you do not want to smelt every scrap of ore you have (Hi Copper Ore, thanks for repairing my diamond pickaxe!). And smelting a chunk then pushing the button to stop the smelting is easier than trying to split your item stacks into a several dozen trying to get the right amount you want to cram in the furnace vs amount you do not. Plus leftover paranoia that there will eventually be items that require ore instead of bars like in Terraria. Also part the sequel, I mod fixed it myself since very basic edits to existing things even I can usually do, but Full Diamonds give you half of what they are supposed to from the ore refinery, compared to ore being correct.

But mostly the smelting also gives me an excuse for taking a break to eat something, tend to my little ship garden, sort the loot I brought up with me, etc.

Of course, I also do not mind the warp jump. Or working my way down through cobblestone in a deep dig (provided I have at least a diamond pickaxe). Most of my time playing this game has been screwing around the lower tiers anyway, and I haven't really done much since the last major update than create an Apex and mess around for a half hour.

Also, gently caress yeah TV Helmet.... God, now I miss City Of Heroes again.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 26, 2013

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Voltin Bolt posted:

Christopher's vest from District 9, please :allears:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Voltin Bolt posted:

Yes! More bugs! Never enough bugs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Voltin Bolt posted:

These guys own I can't wait to play them you sexual man.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I finally found a second tech! Unfortunately, I can't seem to use more than whatever's in the first slot right now. Is this a known bug, or should I report it?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

boo_radley posted:

I finally found a second tech! Unfortunately, I can't seem to use more than whatever's in the first slot right now. Is this a known bug, or should I report it?

You have to select which one you want to use from your inventory. In the future you'll be able to use more than one at once, but the conflict resolution mechanics that will allow that aren't in yet.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Incidentally, that's also a perfect solution to the multiplayer server not crashing like a motherfucker problem

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I've found 5 high tech chests, several apex bases and a miniboss here:
gamma Tania Australis Minora I b (grassland)

43839275, 51528512

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fairly certain the impassable locker thing is a result of the walking up single blocks code. Just put chests on top of lockers in 4 block tall passages.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Roman beetles and space roaches? I have to say I'm looking forward to all these custom races getting their own descriptions and quest lines.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Devour or Fire posted:

I'm fairly certain the impassable locker thing is a result of the walking up single blocks code. Just put chests on top of lockers in 4 block tall passages.
Yeah, if there's no more room to put another one, might as well use up one of those chests you stole.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OK then. :catstare:

(Then meteors started falling.)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ijyt posted:

OK then. :catstare:

(Then meteors started falling.)

You get Glitches in disguise as well.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Voltin Bolt posted:

Aww, they're kinda adorable. I would totally play as one.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mech tech massive destruction enhancement mod, for fun: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gtq1ezxfudbks1d/odetojoy.zip

Warning: destruction caused may permanently corrupt planet files, requiring their deletion to resume normal function of Starbound. Abuse at own risk.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Oh man, I'm really glad the Blattra are well-received, they are really fun to work on :allears: We haven't finished NPC dialogs except for the human ones yet, I will note that two of those lines are "Huh, I think I saw a documentary about this." and "Is it true you guys go nuts for catfood?"

I think I'm gonna make the TV helmet craftable out of one of those Apex ceiling monitors, not sure what sort of stats it should have though. Maybe as a tier 1 armor? I think those monitors are pretty easy to find, anyway. The general idea behind their items is that you can make them out of random crap you find rather than using a bunch of ore and stuff, but it means you have to be good at finding and salvaging potentially useful stuff.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Voltin Bolt posted:

I think I'm gonna make the TV helmet craftable out of one of those Apex ceiling monitors, not sure what sort of stats it should have though. Maybe as a tier 1 armor? I think those monitors are pretty easy to find, anyway. The general idea behind their items is that you can make them out of random crap you find rather than using a bunch of ore and stuff, but it means you have to be good at finding and salvaging potentially useful stuff.

That would work if you have alternative armor pieces for each tier, so to not be so dependent on your luck finding so and so item. Ore works because you can always expect to find some.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Voltin Bolt posted:

Looks like the Bug thing from MIB

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Is there any rhyme or reason to the meteor showers? I started building on one planet and then had basically everything I built taken out by a few meteors which was cool to watch but also kind of annoying.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

They're randomly assigned to planets as an inclement weather effect. I'd really like to construct a base on one, using the hardest materials available to resist meteor strikes. Problem is, I don't know which one is most resistant to impact. Titanium, perhaps? Or magmarock?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is Starbound going to go up in price after release? I guess I should buy it now if so.

Any news on a steam sale for it?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

goodness posted:

Is Starbound going to go up in price after release? I guess I should buy it now if so.

Any news on a steam sale for it?

No and not any time soon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Huszsersvn posted:

They're randomly assigned to planets as an inclement weather effect. I'd really like to construct a base on one, using the hardest materials available to resist meteor strikes. Problem is, I don't know which one is most resistant to impact. Titanium, perhaps? Or magmarock?

It really doesn't matter with some meteor strikes, though:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I dig the idea of the cockroach men making their armour out of various items rather than ore. Adds more of a treasure hunting element in place of the current 'dig up a bunch of poo poo' element.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Blattra should be able to use other racial armor to make their own unique versions.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bringing the engine to its knees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHlcZhoNRJg

This planet corrupted and hardcrashed when I tried to load it again. rip

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bringing the engine to its knees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHlcZhoNRJg

This planet corrupted and hardcrashed when I tried to load it again. rip

I'm assuming doing this makes the file for that planet ginormous.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

peepsalot posted:

I'm assuming doing this makes the file for that planet ginormous.

Not really. It does seem to make the game lose track of what was actually visited/generated, though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well, i was wandering the spawn planet's arid neighbor and found a Wizard. Who was then killed by a mob and dropped a Wizard Spawner. Awesome.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
My own race mod is going pretty smoothly - male and female body and hair sprites are done, set up the weapon tier recipes (decided the race only traditionally uses spears, axes, throwing knives and fist weapons(if I can get those working proper) but still need to sprite them).

Can't really tell from this planet, but basically the race is from a snowy planet and their racial armour stuff allows them to operate easily on snow planets. In fact, lots of their racial stuff will require stuff from cold planets, so really I just want to have a race that operates differently from the norm. Also they have four eyes and see primarily through near/far infrared - I may give their head armor innate light or view increase to account for that.

Now I'm working on doing item descriptions - no faster way of doing that than copying all object files from "assets" and editing EACH FILE to include a racial description. Doin' it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You'll really want to use a "merge" on those, so you don't have to overwrite each and every one.

• Locked thread