Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
they are loving exhausting, i used to earn most of my money babysitting for very young kids and when the cats are out to dinner the mice go loving mental. i loooove kiddies but yeah, goddamn. go read a book or something instead of getting stuck headfirst in the washing machine playing hide and seek you little bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Fruity Gordo posted:

i'm really interested in urban planning and construction and design as well, and i definitely agree with the notion that architecture, design and green spaces effect your social experiences and emotions. i'm also a really rabid radical leftist, and where class analysis comes into urban planning is primarily that good design is regarded as the province of the rich, and the poor, as in most things, are left with lovely infrastructure, poor environmental designs which end up costing more to run in terms of utilities, and really inadequate and incompetantly-designed facilities and storage space in low-income housing developments. consciousness of the effects of design and how they shape communities is inextricably linked with class consciousness in design, because you absolutely can design low-income housing on a tiny budget and have them not be horrific tenements with no green space or chance for community development. the way the poster about phrased that was crappy and rude, and you don't need to read capital or have a grasp of historical materialism to be a good person and inculcuate class consciousness into your work (though everyone should read capital :D). for a really good primer on the kinds of things i'm talking about, this two-part episode of grand designs is really good

also you didn't say anything naive or dumb, i think the reason why that poster said what they said was because you specifically didn't mention class as a driver of good or bad design (because the poor generally don't build their homes). and christ knows specificity and clarity are the foundation stones of gbs 2.1 :haw:

Cool, thanks for the response. Sometimes when talking things you only know a little bit about, it's tough to tell if you're not totally mis-stating things and inadvertently sound like a doofus.

That's kinda the stuff I'm interested in to. But it seems to me that planners don't intentionally consign bad design for the poors, they actually think they're using good design. But they design based on some exciting new theory that sounds good but that ignores how people actually live and the poor become an experiment. Whereas the rich have the wherewithal to choose how they want to live.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Merry Christmas, lady thread! My folks got the boyfriend and I an almost embarrassingly large TV, it takes up half our living room and is rather awesome. The first thing we watched was an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Danny DeVito was practically life size. Now I just need to find an awesome video game to play.

Dad loved his xylophone. Mom is less than pleased with me for buying it for him.

Also, my brother's girlfriend cut her hair really short since Thanksgiving, so the barrettes were kind of useless. I felt bad, but she loved them.

And my body decided to give me my period for Christmas. Yay.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 26, 2013

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
The best part of Christmas, for me, isn't until tomorrow. My fiance's cousin/kid's godmother is coming to stay the night, and she's awesomely fun, plus she will watch the kid and make sure he doesn't die from his new habit of pretending to drink anything that even looks like a liquid while I take a nap. Win/win.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Well Christmas money, you were fun to have, but one trip to zulily later and that was it for you

but at least you were spent on cuuuuuuute sweaters

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

t_violet posted:

Cool, thanks for the response. Sometimes when talking things you only know a little bit about, it's tough to tell if you're not totally mis-stating things and inadvertently sound like a doofus.

That's kinda the stuff I'm interested in to. But it seems to me that planners don't intentionally consign bad design for the poors, they actually think they're using good design. But they design based on some exciting new theory that sounds good but that ignores how people actually live and the poor become an experiment. Whereas the rich have the wherewithal to choose how they want to live.
one of the things that the grand design video i linked really demonstrates is just how ingrained it is in the property development industry to cut costs to the detriment of customers and how stupid, unproductive and ultimately more expensive careless cost-cutting is. in an extremely progessive housing development they still manage to gently caress up quite egregiously in terms of storage and parking for the sake of cutting costs in a way that would never happen in a high-value development or private build.

i agree that for the most part low-income housing isn't designed to be mean, but there's a lot of money to be made in low-income housing and there is an assumption that people in poverty will take what they can get so why bother making things nice when it's cheaper to be sparse. after all, they can always get a job and leave and buy a real home instead of a welfare shack. so if you save $100 grand buying shittier doors or stairwell lighting (not to mention the fact that so many low-income housing developments have flat concrete roofs with no solar panels) that's $100 grand more of hella sweet profits

excitng new theories like thermal mass loading and roof water heating cycling through the structure aren't experimented on in cheap housing, they're tried and tested in private home builds and then adopted in commercial buildings, high-income developments and civil buildings to cut costs and then the initial big output is subsidised by government. how many council houses or suburban 2-bedders with wool insulation or styrofoam-slotted concrete walls have you seen? none, because there's no incentive to bother building with longevity in mind because planned obsolescence is a fact of life now and if you're too poor to upgrade then whatevs

it's a really complex system to break down and i've probably learned more in the past 3 years of living in an ex-tenement building in a working/welfare class suburb than i ever did reading books so i get not being down with this kind of deeper class analysis, but i reckon you'll get a lot out of that book you got for chrissy. i'm actually jealous, i wanna read it too i hope my uni library has it

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
We got rid of minimum home sizes in the 80s and now our houses are the smallest in Europe despite the insane inflated prices.

Learning how busted the world is made me stop reading D&D :smithicide:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 26, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Women's Rights? posted:

dear little niece, you are ultra adorbs and i thank you for having so god drat much energy in your tiny body that it slapped the snooze button on my biological clock SO HARD that i think you broke it forever

god drat i do not understand how people can be around kids all the time, it's just Go Go Go and I'm like "HEY LET US COLOR because it means I can sit down for 10 minutes"

she's cute but gently caress me, I needed to nap forever after i got home.

Haha it's looking like I won't even get to be a cool aunt at this point because my brother and I both apparently have busted biological clocks. Maybe aunt-in-law at the rate my boyfriend's brother is going.

My parents fortunately seem not to mind. I still can't figure out how they managed to raise us, since they seem to not like kids much either. :wtc:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Being the cool aunt IS pretty fun. I got her a scooter for christmas and it was her favorite present and I'm all :smug: Yeah i fukkin won christmas with the baby, eat it everyone else

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Women's Rights? posted:

Being the cool aunt IS pretty fun. I got her a scooter for christmas and it was her favorite present and I'm all :smug: Yeah i fukkin won christmas with the baby, eat it everyone else

I feel like it would satisfy the tiny bit of maternal instinct I have, with the added bonus of getting to hand them back to someone else when I get tired.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I got a custom-made cat coin purse from my parents with a check for $250 in it. It's all going into the "visit girlfriend" fund. My other present was from a friend of mine and consisted of a stocking with a spork, stuffed hedgehog, and a party popper that failed to go off when I pulled the string. You'd think that would be a lame gift but I honestly wasn't expecting a present from him and I like the hedgehog (he got candy in return).

Also being around my 3-year-old niece didn't kill my drive for babies, surprisingly enough. She got way too many loving presents, though, like 8 combined from her parents and grandparents. I gave her two books and that was it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Kimmalah posted:

I feel like it would satisfy the tiny bit of maternal instinct I have, with the added bonus of getting to hand them back to someone else when I get tired.

that's pretty much it. fun to play with until "oh the child smells bad/is making loud crying sounds/has fallen down. HERE YOU GO BROTHER TAKE YO BABY BACK NOW!"

she did get real mad at me when i made it clear that parent authority usurped my own and i would not, in fact, let her cram crayons in her mouth after her parents told her not to.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

dear driving lesson teacher: I realize it's the day after christmas but come on did you really sleep in through my lesson? jesus christ I am not used to missing lessons due to the teacher not coming on time

also regarding small children, they're alright but so drat tiring, my eight year old cousin is a ball of energy and followed me around all of thanksgiving like a lost puppy because she idolizes me or something and it was cute but by the end of it I wanted to sleep forever

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Portals posted:

dear driving lesson teacher: I realize it's the day after christmas but come on did you really sleep in through my lesson? jesus christ I am not used to missing lessons due to the teacher not coming on time

also regarding small children, they're alright but so drat tiring, my eight year old cousin is a ball of energy and followed me around all of thanksgiving like a lost puppy because she idolizes me or something and it was cute but by the end of it I wanted to sleep forever

Hanging out with my niece is like doing a big long improv scene, except she gives us a lot of directions. Her before holding a stuffed lizard in my husband's face: "pretend you're afraid of lizards and you run out of the room". At one point we were holding my husband down and using a fake knife to cut off his tail because he was a monster who was impersonating the principal of an exclusive private school. I was helping as the daughter of Mary Poppins (also name Mary Poppins).

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I don't like babies very much but I like toddlers and kids. They don't stay babbys for real long though

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
It's cool to see their little brains develop. Like, I taught a kid what the color orange was, and it was a great feeling

It's great when they develop object permanence and conservation

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gyre posted:

I got a custom-made cat coin purse from my parents with a check for $250 in it. It's all going into the "visit girlfriend" fund. My other present was from a friend of mine and consisted of a stocking with a spork, stuffed hedgehog, and a party popper that failed to go off when I pulled the string. You'd think that would be a lame gift but I honestly wasn't expecting a present from him and I like the hedgehog (he got candy in return).

Also being around my 3-year-old niece didn't kill my drive for babies, surprisingly enough. She got way too many loving presents, though, like 8 combined from her parents and grandparents. I gave her two books and that was it.
My twins got some stuff too

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
M'fellow lady goons: What's a good short haircut for naturally curly hair?

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Crow Jane's cut from earlier in the thread was v cute.

I want kids of my own but don't feel ready and maybe never will but I'm gonna wait till my early 30s in any case

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
gonna go out in a couple of weeks and get me a super cute new short haircut with bangs

It'll be the first time i will have had a new hair do in forever, for the past few years it was a non-commital blob around my shoulders, but now that i'm better at lady things and how to make my hair not look like a giant frizzy afro I feel confident in being able to maintain a style

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I got surprise menstruation for Christmas and bled on my Christmas pajamas then cried all Christmas morning because I was convinced nobody really wanted me there. Do I win?

But then a fat dog napped on me and my racist uncle got me a super cool Indian cookbook and a bag of curry leaves and all was well.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Look at this creature

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Shannonmcn posted:

I got surprise menstruation for Christmas and bled on my Christmas pajamas then cried all Christmas morning because I was convinced nobody really wanted me there. Do I win?

But then a fat dog napped on me and my racist uncle got me a super cool Indian cookbook and a bag of curry leaves and all was well.

What's up, Christmas menstruation buddy :smith::respek::smith:

Donkay NOoo posted:

Crow Jane's cut from earlier in the thread was v cute.
Thanks! Ask your stylist for lots of layers so the curls really pop. I usually go for an inverted bob, which means I have to get it cut fairly often, but other than that it's a very low maintenance hairstyle. If you get bangs, get them razor-cut, they'll be much easier to straighten.

Treated myself to these lovely things at a thrift shop earlier (not my photo):

They put me firmly at drag queen height, and I probably won't be able to wear them til spring, but I'm in love.

And this is my parents' dog, looking like a painting:

I want to steal her, she's the best.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

grapey posted:

M'fellow lady goons: What's a good short haircut for naturally curly hair?

My hair is just really wavy and thick instead of outright curly, but I've had good luck with a short bob-type haircut (no idea if there's an official name for this). Any length past my chin or so just turns into a frizzy uncontrollable rat's nest.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
The godfather is on

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

driving lesson guy finally showed up and the lesson turned out to be extremely good and I learned a ton

now listening to minor key christmas music, it's way better than the regular poo poo

e: deck the halls sounds so intense in minor key

Portals fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 26, 2013

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
A friend with curly hair got something called the Brazilian blowout (ha). It's much more gentle on your hair than a perm if you want to go straight

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Christmas was ok and I made a tiny roast chicken that was really nice but the wine has made my stomach ulcer real mad and I am going to die of the misery.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Hey ladies :heysexy:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, lately if I have more than a glass or two of wine I'm in hell the next morning. It sucks, because I adore the stuff.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

hi forums user mick foley forever

is your avatar a lego person face? if so I approve

e: good comic \/\/\/

Portals fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 27, 2013

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Portals posted:

hi forums user mick foley forever

is your avatar a lego person face? if so I approve

it's actually from a perry bible fellowship comic, forums user portals

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

Treated myself to these lovely things at a thrift shop earlier (not my photo):

They put me firmly at drag queen height, and I probably won't be able to wear them til spring, but I'm in love.

Metallics! (and the period thing too, wtf, are the women in the ladies thread syncing? yes, yes, I know it's a myth and it's really mathematics) I have these on the way to me, should be here tomorrow:

Kinda cheesy but I'm in Texas, dammit, I can wear western.

What is officially drag queen height? I'm 5'6" and these'll make me almost 6'.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

And this is my parents' dog, looking like a painting:

I want to steal her, she's the best.

Pretty dog!! My mom has a Havanese, which is an awesome breed that was bred to just love. He follows her around, goes out with her all the time, and makes her very happy. He's the perfect dog for a lady who loves alone and wants to spend her time doting on something.

That said, I want to steal him and make him mine.

I spent today watching The West Wing and trying to clean. Results were mixed, but my kitchen looks nice. I also put together a bag of things to donate because no one needs 7 martini glasses, 4 hurricane glasses, and a cabinet full of various wine glasses.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

t_violet posted:

Metallics! (and the period thing too, wtf, are the women in the ladies thread syncing? yes, yes, I know it's a myth and it's really mathematics) I have these on the way to me, should be here tomorrow:

Those are space cowgirl shoes and I quite like them.

I'm 5'll, these shoes make me 6'3.5". It kind of rules.

detectivemonkey posted:

I spent today watching The West Wing and trying to clean. Results were mixed, but my kitchen looks nice. I also put together a bag of things to donate because no one needs 7 martini glasses, 4 hurricane glasses, and a cabinet full of various wine glasses.
You'll need all of those and more if we ever get around to a lady thread meetup.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

t_violet posted:

6'9", 420 lbs.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had a pretty good Christmas. Been playing the new Phoenix Wright that my fiancé got for me. Later, I will heat up all the leftovers that I got yesterday. Stuffing, carrots, ham, nachenka and naleshniky

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

Those are space cowgirl shoes and I quite like them.

I'm 5'll, these shoes make me 6'3.5". It kind of rules.

I wish I could tower over people (I have a lot of freakishly tall friends as I'm on a sports team, I'm like one of the shortest).

I love pics of RuPaul with other people, I don't know how tall he is but he must be like Shaq height in heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Portals posted:

now listening to minor key christmas music, it's way better than the regular poo poo

e: deck the halls sounds so intense in minor key

Where do I aquire this? I LOVE Christmas music. I have like, 45 CD's of it (are CDs obsolete now?) and would love some minor key stuff.

• Locked thread