Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Periodiko posted:

I'm wondering if he didn't call it "feminazism" because it tarnished nazism by association.

Didn't you know nazism is just a zionist liberal socalist plot? I mean, part of holocaust denial is that it was cooked up so people will feel sorry for Jews, but it totally didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

My facebook feed is filling up with more and more anti-government propoganda and "united slaves of america" tripe than ever before these days.

I can't help but wonder if the people who get far too deep into this sort of things are expecting more from their government. You get the feeling that people realise that they arn't born into the world to get everything for nothing and having to work for a living and make their own way in the world is a horrible sin.

I guess a lot of conspiracy theorists are of the thinking that being a human being means you should get everything essential provided to you for nothing without realising that if that was the case, people would probably just breed uncontrollably.

I dunno. It just angers me because it's fairly obvious the government doesn't have peoples best interests in mind but it's just lazy to claim you should come into the world and get everything you need provided for you.

One thing I've noticed over a couple of decades of political activism is one really needs to be careful when you switch people on that alls not well in the world that you don't just let them go off and find their own barmy answers to why things are not right.

One of the most important insights of marxism that people should agree with even if they don't buy into marxism, is that the system as we know it today is emergent from the material conditions. That is to say, it just happened not because of a nefarious scheme, but because it was a natural result of the way we've organized the economy.Capitalism and statism concentrate power and distribute poverty not because it was designed that way, but because it couldn't work any other way without stopping being capitalism.

I think its natural that people form conspiracy theories about this. All through history people create narratives about dark forces to try and reconcile the abstract forces into understandable concrete ones. Its a hard pill to swallow that the world is hosed because of the very reasons we in the west aren't making GBS threads ourselves to death of cholera in a slum. There is something wrong, but I can't understand it, who shall I blame? If you look at tribal societies, there where always pervasive rumors of cannibals, evil sorcerers or witches, and so on, but they where always in the enemy camp. Why is little timmy sick? Oh its the black magician over in the neighboring village doing this because they want our corn field. Why did uncle bill go missing while hunting? The guys over in the neighboring village are cannibals, thats why, those mothefuckers!

The principles are the same. Why did I lose my job? The jews are doing it!. Why are kids getting autism? Its the rothschilds doing it with injectable poison. Its the same principle, abstract forces that act against people are incomprehensible without someone to blame. So find someone to blame.

This psychology needs to be kept in mind when you go and turn people on that all is not well, because people *will* go searching for an easy answer, so you need to be there to provide the less easy but more plausible answer.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXEThTtwaM

I got a laugh out of this. As usual, the punchline is the headline.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

duck monster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXEThTtwaM

I got a laugh out of this. As usual, the punchline is the headline.

You're missing out if you haven't seen his website too.
https://www.nasa-revealed.com

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
So here is one I hadn't really run across before: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

Apparently music tuned to 440hz was determined by the Nazis to induce fear and aggression, whereas "432 Hz is said to be mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe. Studies reveal that 432hz tuning vibrates with the universe’s golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness."

Stupid scientists, apparently the unifying theory was just tuning your music down 8hz :downs:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

So here is one I hadn't really run across before: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

Apparently music tuned to 440hz was determined by the Nazis to induce fear and aggression, whereas "432 Hz is said to be mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe. Studies reveal that 432hz tuning vibrates with the universe’s golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness."

Stupid scientists, apparently the unifying theory was just tuning your music down 8hz :downs:
What about 420hz.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Look, I'm crediting truthers now. I'm appreciating their intelligence. The Duck Dynasty saga has led me to prefer wild, nonsensical conspiracy theories to manufactured crises with a racist, homophobic agenda.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Forgall posted:

What about 420hz.

Hope they never go near an aircraft with 400 Hz power.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

A440 dates back to the 1830s, but the A432 crowd are certainly worth a chuckle. They're the music dork equivalent of the gold fringe on the US flag people. Most people can't readily discern pitch differences smaller than about 20-25 cent or so anyway. 440/432 is roughly 31, barely enough to matter.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 27, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Look, I'm crediting truthers now. I'm appreciating their intelligence. The Duck Dynasty saga has led me to prefer wild, nonsensical conspiracy theories to manufactured crises with a racist, homophobic agenda.

I don't know, I've met plenty of conspiracy nuts in terror of the gay elites. Mark Levin's, uh, unique approach to constitutional law is pretty appealing to some.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

comes along bort posted:

A440 dates back to the 1830s, but the A432 crowd are certainly worth a chuckle. They're the music dork equivalent of the gold fringe on the US flag people. Most people can't readily discern pitch differences smaller than about 20-25 cent or so anyway. 440/432 is roughly 31, barely enough to matter.

I actually had a gently caress around with this after retard hippy friends started posting about it.

I can tell you right now sticking that frequency in your music is going to sound like nails on a blackboard. If its the resonant frequency of the universe, then the universe is a oval office.

Then again, I'm THAT guy in the bandroom bitching out the keyboardist for not using equal tempered tuning. Even marginally out of tune poo poo sounds like hell to me.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 27, 2013

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Supposedly you're supposed to use 432 as a reference instead of 440Hz, and tune everything accordingly. Or slow down your records or something. What I can't really wrap my head around is what led to the conclusion that 432Hz is the frequency of the universe or whatever. The pictures they're snapping are horrible pseudoscience though; the resonant frequencies of a body of water or anything else are determined by density, volume, shape, room temperature and a whole bunch of other factors like the vessel it's contained in. It's as dumb as saying all strings vibrate at 400Hz or whatever. Anyone who tries to reproduce these experiments while changing the underlying parameters such as dish size or whatever will inevitably have to either remain in denial or accept the fact that they're on the wrong track.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I tend to bitch at 9/11 conspirators, beacuse it seems pretty crazy and if people REALLY belief that the government did it, shouldn't they...y'know...be calling for the overthrow of the government or something?

But you know what, as I get older and crazier and spend more and more time alone on the Internet it's all making a lot more sense.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

duck monster posted:

Then again, I'm THAT guy in the bandroom bitching out the keyboardist for not using equal tempered tuning. Even marginally out of tune poo poo sounds like hell to me.

If you've got the right sort of digital piano, you can force it into one or more "well-tempered" tunings. It's a mind-blowing experience to hear somebody play selections from The Well-Tempered Clavier on a piano tuned that way; the pieces are basically demos of what you can/should write in different keys to melodically and thematically work around (and with) the "wolf" intervals.

Oh and Bach was obviously in the orbit of the Priory of Sion.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Most people can't readily discern pitch differences smaller than about 20-25 cent or so anyway. 440/432 is roughly 31, barely enough to matter.
but THAT IS WHY IT WORKS :tinfoil: :derp:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

snorch posted:

Supposedly you're supposed to use 432 as a reference instead of 440Hz, and tune everything accordingly. Or slow down your records or something. What I can't really wrap my head around is what led to the conclusion that 432Hz is the frequency of the universe or whatever. The pictures they're snapping are horrible pseudoscience though; the resonant frequencies of a body of water or anything else are determined by density, volume, shape, room temperature and a whole bunch of other factors like the vessel it's contained in. It's as dumb as saying all strings vibrate at 400Hz or whatever. Anyone who tries to reproduce these experiments while changing the underlying parameters such as dish size or whatever will inevitably have to either remain in denial or accept the fact that they're on the wrong track.

There was a gimmick among 80s metal bands to tune down a quarter step or so which supposedly resulted in richer harmonics on tape or some poo poo, but recording technology getting a lot better probably did more to accurately capture overtones and subharmonics (which you can't really hear through a wall of amps anyway). I think they just did it to gently caress with nerds trying to play along and learn their songs.

The other part of it is stringed instruments especially produce multiple frequencies alongside each note, each of which can be emphasized or de-emphasized depending on a whole host of factors, so focusing on one specific pitch is sorta useless outside catering to a singer's vocal range, which is why older acts often tune down as people's natural range lowers as they age.

emfive posted:

If you've got the right sort of digital piano, you can force it into one or more "well-tempered" tunings. It's a mind-blowing experience to hear somebody play selections from The Well-Tempered Clavier on a piano tuned that way; the pieces are basically demos of what you can/should write in different keys to melodically and thematically work around (and with) the "wolf" intervals.

Speaking of there's a whole thing about period accurate performances, using traditional temperament, and in the case of Bach's cantatas period accurate singers meaning amateurs who'd be pitchy as hell.

Pythagorean tuning however is totally awesome.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 28, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Downtuning a string changes the sound because it's looser than it was for spec if you tune your C string to B. Downtuning the orchestra doesn't really change that much although some instruments like woodwinds are just hard to tune in general and you may be hard coded into what they can be manulipated to do. It's also worth noting that absolute perfect pitch is a pox on musicians and ruins people's ability to enjoy perfectly in tune music. It's a really cool parlor trick though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dusseldorf posted:

Downtuning a string changes the sound because it's looser than it was for spec if you tune your C string to B.

Sorta. There's also scale length and string gauge (plus winding, core material, etc.) which are large factors. Also the location of the tuner relative to the nut has an effect on a string's tightness or looseness.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

emfive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__tbvLNH6FI

Mad genius at work with some of this tuning stuff.

cakeordeath
Dec 28, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I think there is more to the official story than we will ever know.

You shouldn't believe conspiracy theories at face value, but maybe you should trust your instincts and a person's body language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36bkCB8sTY

cakeordeath fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 29, 2013

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

cakeordeath posted:

You shouldn't believe conspiracy theories at face value, but maybe you should trust your instincts and a person's body language.

My instincts is that crazy people are people who are crazy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cakeordeath posted:

This is how people who are really good at manipulation end up retiring early by selling Florida swampland to naive down home snowbirds. If you want to be the person that's easy to rip off then go ahead and take this advice.

quote:

molten steel

This is dumb. Like anyone can tell the difference between molten steel and molten aluminum at a glance. Building fires can get as hot as 1500*f, aluminum melts at 1200*f.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 29, 2013

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

cakeordeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36bkCB8sTY

You bought an account for this?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Why is all the poo poo the government doesn't want us to know always blurry?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why is all the poo poo the government doesn't want us to know always blurry?

HAARP Illuminati control rays

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The governments editing the footage to make them look ridiculous, obviously.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I for one miss all the lovely, blurry UFO footage and marvel how aliens seem to have stopped visiting our planet coincidentally at the same time as everyone carrying phones able to take pictures and movies became a thing.

You'd think there'd be more :shrug:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

I for one miss all the lovely, blurry UFO footage and marvel how aliens seem to have stopped visiting our planet coincidentally at the same time as everyone carrying phones able to take pictures and movies became a thing.

You know I was thinking about this the other week, what happened to all the UFO sightings. Like I still remember that one they had in Arizona back in the 90s. Ufo theorists are my favorite type of crazy person, well them and cryptozoologists since they're pretty much harmeless

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 29, 2013

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's because the alien rods are scaring the UFOs away, and the rods are being called to earth by HAARP, as they are the natural food of the lizard people. You really don't want to get a 3m long alien rod in your intake ducts, it can jam up the transient gravitronic stabilisers, and those things cost a bomb to replace.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
There were never any aliens. Grey Aliens are actually future humans peering through the computer simulation to do some hands-on patching. That's why they only abduct retarded rednecks--they're not stupid, they're simply glitched programs.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

KomradeX posted:

You know I was thinking about this the other week, what happened to all the UFO sightings. Like I still remember that one they had in Arizona back in the 90s. Ufo theorists are my favorite type of crazy person, well them and cryptozoologists since they're pretty much harmeless

The explanation I've heard, taken here from Warren Ellis's old mailing list:

Warren Ellis posted:

Seriously. UFO organisations have been contracting of late, because no-one's seeing flying saucers any more. They turn up at weird cultural stress points, like an approaching millennium (which the X-Files lucked into, rather than caused). Almost, it seems, when the culture is worried about something amorphous rather than concrete (like terrorism). The 90s UFO "glut" coincided with the threat of nuclear war fading, relative political stability in the US and UK, and yet the feeling that the turn of the century Meant Something that we couldn't put into words. I almost miss flying saucers: because they might mean that we don't have anything serious to worry about.

UFOs are a sign of good times.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never thought about it but yes, conspiracies now are pretty much all "The government is going to take away all rights and do (things that are dependent on your political beliefs).

Look at the obsession with false flags now, there have always been nutbars who claimed that they existed, but now its pretty much an accepted fact by a not insignificant number of people that Sandy Hook and all other shootings are a evil plot by the gun grabbing liberals to take away ARE GUNS that will be followed by horrible martial law where all straight, white Christians will be rounded up and shoved into ovens.

Though that can be seen as them knowing, deep down, their views are being left behind and they know that it won't be the dominant forever, and that paranoia is coming out in other ways.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I never thought about it but yes, conspiracies now are pretty much all "The government is going to take away all rights and do (things that are dependent on your political beliefs).

Look at the obsession with false flags now, there have always been nutbars who claimed that they existed, but now its pretty much an accepted fact by a not insignificant number of people that Sandy Hook and all other shootings are a evil plot by the gun grabbing liberals to take away ARE GUNS that will be followed by horrible martial law where all straight, white Christians will be rounded up and shoved into ovens.

Though that can be seen as them knowing, deep down, their views are being left behind and they know that it won't be the dominant forever, and that paranoia is coming out in other ways.

Well, to be fair, the government HAS kind of started proving the crazies right. Remember Alex Jones, remember he was all like "The government is spying on you all the time" and we all laughed and chuckled and said "oh, you silly, crazy man" and then it turned out that, in fact, the government WAS spying on us all the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well, to be fair, the government HAS kind of started proving the crazies right. Remember Alex Jones, remember he was all like "The government is spying on you all the time" and we all laughed and chuckled and said "oh, you silly, crazy man" and then it turned out that, in fact, the government WAS spying on us all the time.

True, but broken clocks and all that. And its not like its a terrible stretch to say the goverment is spying on you. It's like saying the goverment is propping up dictators or knocking them over. And Jones and his ilk are suggesting that the NSA is more about collecting information so when the North American Union is established and true blue patriotic Americans are made 3rd class citizens after the Mexicans and Canadians, they'll know who to round up.

I had lots of spare time at my parents so I read the entire Enemies trilogy thread in TFL and that kind of stuff is on the brain. It is kind of funny, because the horrible dystopian state is caused because a small, rogue group of goverment agents stage one false flag and knock off a few gun store owners. In response the heroic true blue patriots of the book go on a killing spree of many innocent people that have been gun control advocates, for no reason is they oppose gun ownership in some way. It takes a really dieased mind to think "Those gun grabbers think we're all a bunch of psychos who want to gun everyone down! I'll show them by gunning everyone down!".

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

True, but broken clocks and all that. And its not like its a terrible stretch to say the goverment is spying on you. It's like saying the goverment is propping up dictators or knocking them over. And Jones and his ilk are suggesting that the NSA is more about collecting information so when the North American Union is established and true blue patriotic Americans are made 3rd class citizens after the Mexicans and Canadians, they'll know who to round up.

I had lots of spare time at my parents so I read the entire Enemies trilogy thread in TFL and that kind of stuff is on the brain. It is kind of funny, because the horrible dystopian state is caused because a small, rogue group of goverment agents stage one false flag and knock off a few gun store owners. In response the heroic true blue patriots of the book go on a killing spree of many innocent people that have been gun control advocates, for no reason is they oppose gun ownership in some way. It takes a really dieased mind to think "Those gun grabbers think we're all a bunch of psychos who want to gun everyone down! I'll show them by gunning everyone down!".

However, I do think that we can no longer remotely say that America is, or indeed has been for several decades, a force for good in the world. America has basically become the lord and de facto ruler of the world stage and enforces this rule with force and propaganda. The fact that most of your news coverage on television only depicted the world outside of the United States as this horrifying, fractured, violent wasteland of non-English-speaking lunatics lends some credence to a sinister Orwellian scenario unfolding before our very eyes.

It's hard to remain ignorant with the Internet, and it's hard to say that there's not an AWFUL lot of loving sinister poo poo being done in the higher echelons of power. I mean, we are the country utilizing robots to bomb civilians. There's this UK sketch show called Mitchell and Webb, and one of the sketches has them dressed as Nazis and discussing the war. Mitchell turns to Webb and points out that they have skulls on their uniforms, they wear all black, and worryingly asks "Are...are we the baddies?" Webb says no, then thinks about it for a second, then they both tear off their hats and run away into the night.

That's now America. America is the baddies.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Except that's been kinda well-known (or at least well-reported) since Alex Jones was in diapers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also Alex Jones had a habit of reporting it as "they can see what you're doing because they hide microphones in everyone's teeth" versus, you know, looking at phone records and using DejaNews type stuff (if you remember when that was its own thing).

Edit: In case you don't know what I'm referencing there, most people on the internet before the late 90s used Usenet groups as we would tend to use both forums and blogs nowadays. This was text based, entirely unencrypted, and messages would be copied from server to server across the world. People would often get upset when they realized a three letter agency might be monitoring them. But this system was completely open so of course anyone with hard drives to spare and an internet conenction could save all of it.

DejaNews was a service that held records of pretty much every message ever posted to usenet from the 80s up til now. They got bought out by Google and its now part of google groups, but then as now you could search their usenet archives to track people, topics, you name it. So of course the NSA or anyone else could do the same.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 30, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

twistedmentat posted:

It takes a really dieased mind to think "Those gun grabbers think we're all a bunch of psychos who want to gun everyone down! I'll show them by gunning everyone down!".

That's the thing with all the gun-grabber conspiracy stuff; it's all retreads of the plot from The Turner Diaries.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

twistedmentat posted:

See, to me, that is just revisionism, of the worst kind. Sure, nutters have been saying the government is always spying on you since forever. After the sweeping reforms of the PATRIOT Act, a bunch of fully sane people said, "Holy poo poo! This allows the government to spy on us all the time and is twelve kinds of wrong!" They were dismissed as crazies because crazies have always said that sort of thing. During the Kerry Campaign, there was an attempt at reconciliation where people, for example, who were always against the Iraq War were clearly nutters, people who were for it and have come to realize it was a clusterfuck (which no one could have seen!) are the voices we need to listen to. Of course, that crashed and burned. Who would you prefer: the effeminate, French Appeaser or the manly, American Decider?

Kerry lost the election but the marginalization of those voices continued, so the only mainstream outlets you could hear there were on Coast to Coast AM. Then Snowden and Manning appear. Holy poo poo, they were right! Not the principled objectors from the beginning, but the nutters on Coast to Coast AM! Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

duck monster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__tbvLNH6FI

Mad genius at work with some of this tuning stuff.

Knowing very little about music I could believe this is genius, or some timecube level crazy.

• Locked thread