Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The gamma bomb goes off and everyone's Hulk covers turn into Banner covers for six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Punisher feels like he might be legit once I get 2 more red covers to get him up to 40%. Cheesing health on poo poo like level 240 juggs is a pretty sweet deal for 8AP.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

What's the deal with that red thing anyway? I know it buffs the dude a lot but why is it there and when and he;lp

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a Red ISO icon, it just indicates that for that event the character is buffed. The devs typically buff certain characters within an event to encourage you to use them/reward people who have them - for example, in the Lightning Rounds all the 3-star villains are buffed, while in the Thornament only Thor is.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
It used to be a percentage, but the devs thought that was way too user-friendly.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm sure this has been asked a ton, but the thread has a lot of pages.

How IAP heavy is the game?

Can you reroll to get a good starter?

How is it compared to PAD?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Zotix posted:

Not at all, considering how lovely the IAP is. The amounts you can, you get daily, if not more with Facebook rewards. Maybe if you like the game throw $5 at it and buy a few more slots to hold your dudes, but it's hardly necessary.

No, everyone starts with iron man, modern storm, and modern black widow.

Fine, but not comparable. I love both. This game's matching isn't like pad, more like bejeweled, with bonuses if you get 4 or 5 matches.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
That last Nevada mission is brutal. Better not let then get any AP, or you're going to get one shot!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My takes:

Zotix posted:

1) Not very -- in fact, there's really not a lot that you'd WANT to buy, other than possibly extra cover slots. Most of the slot-machine pulls are very unreliable for getting good stuff, though on the flip side sometimes you will get 2* and even 3* covers from the PAL machine equivalent.

What you are going to pay with in MPQ is not cash but time. There's a fair amount of grinding and a lot of work involved in getting tokens and covers from events.

2) No. You are forced to get either Black Widow or Hawkeye 1* with Hero Points early, and after that we will DISCOURAGE you from using Hero Points looking for a powerful card. Mostly because...

3) MPQ doesn't have any such thing as a great-out-of-the-box cover. Each hero has two or three cover variations with different powers, and you need at least one of each to unlock the hero's power set. After that, you'll need either more of the same covers to level the powers up or to spend Hero Points on them (and THAT we only recommend for specific cases, like pumping HPs into Ragnarok's Thunderclap or Spider-Man's All Tied Up). You can't level your hero up until you've leveled their powers up, so even a great character will need time and effort to bring up to where they're great. No Horuses in this game where the leader skill makes them instantly solid.

However... that's also a plus. You're not quite as at the mercy of luck as you are in PAD with respect to what you get from the random draws. There are lots of good characters you can get quite early, and while there are whales, the rubberbanding and multiple brackets in events keep them from winning absolutely everything. There are no Godfests, so to speak, and the special offers on rare covers are ludicrously priced so even whales don't buy them much. Character balance is pretty good, where there aren't many characters that aren't useful in one situation or another.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The one thing that has been consistently hooking me are the daily deals. They're priced at a point too good to resist! :negative:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I totally advise playing for a day or two and then dumping $20 in if you like it. Spend it on cover slots. You can also play the 100 HC daily lottery if you really want. I probably blew another $10-15 there getting my 2-3* stable a little more fleshed out after I had maxed Iron man and black widow. If you're drunk on holiday cheer you can buy one of the 10 packs - that's what I ultimately did to get my punisher for the Hulk event - I was lucky enough to get 3 punisher covers in the pack as well as more spiderman, and some other 3 stuff, but that is pretty lucky.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So, I'm giving it a go. What should be first priorities be?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

delfin posted:

2) No. You are forced to get either Black Widow or Hawkeye 1* with Hero Points early
It's possible I'm misremembering this or straight up talking out of my arse, but I think that if you skip the tutorials, you don't have to do this.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If you were playing it from day one, there were ways of getting around that. They changed it in one of the updates so that even if you force-quit at that point, it brings you right back to "enjoy your starter." On the plus side, it's only 50 and they pretty much spoon-feed you 50 right before that.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

delfin posted:

Moonstone is pretty blah -- many consider her the worst 2* in the game.

There's no way that she's worse than Bagman.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Spikey posted:

There's no way that she's worse than Bagman.

Moonstone has a potential nuke with her red skill, but Bagman has potential usage with Venom gimmicks.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MMAgCh posted:

Victory or defeat coming down to factors beyond the player's control seems to be this game's MO anyway. :v:

The 3rd fight in one of the maps today requires you own Punisher. Not the free easy 2000 points for Punisher owners, the campaign fight. I have cracked at least a dozen Gamma Bomb and Powered Up covers from event winnings, and just dropped my last 400 HP on another two covers and have not seen a Punisher. I am 5000 points away from the final progression reward, which is ironically the Punisher cover that would allow me to get to the reward. If I get locked out of the triple Hulk bracket because I can't access half of the mission, I think I might just give up on this game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Venom' gimmicks got nerfed, so enjoy taking bag man out. Moonstone is a solid tank, and her skills have a ridiculous range of usefulness. Photon blasts go from a light tickle to one shot murder depending on the amount of red on the board, while her other skills really do depend on the board setup. So you either have extra damage, silly matches or a two turn stun/steal. Way more useful than Bag-Man who is just fragile dead weight.

Zotix posted:

So, I'm giving it a go. What should be first priorities be?

Check out the op. There's even a tldr version right at the top.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I made a better version if the tldr actually if you wanna click my "?" And replace it

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Eddain posted:

Moonstone has a potential nuke with her red skill, but Bagman has potential usage with Venom gimmicks.

Even before the venom nerf, this wasn't true. Both Bagman and venom's web making skills were people. And at level 4, venom's was cheaper.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Venom' gimmicks got nerfed, so enjoy taking bag man out. Moonstone is a solid tank, and her skills have a ridiculous range of usefulness. Photon blasts go from a light tickle to one shot murder depending on the amount of red on the board, while her other skills really do depend on the board setup. So you either have extra damage, silly matches or a two turn stun/steal. Way more useful than Bag-Man who is just fragile dead weight.

There's never a lot of red on the board, though. 1) It can be used by most characters so it's always in high demand and 2) it fuels some of the most powerful abilities so you can't just leave them alone and risk the other guy matching them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I always have tonnes of red on the board because 1) it has a strike tile on it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
How are people building Original Widow? I was thinking 3/5/5 but her passive requires her to actually attack the enemy, and she's pretty fragile to be out in the front.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

seravid posted:

There's never a lot of red on the board, though. 1) It can be used by most characters so it's always in high demand and 2) it fuels some of the most powerful abilities so you can't just leave them alone and risk the other guy matching them.

This is true, though if you pop off a forest fire, then GG. That said, I always find that Moonstone's purple has ridiculous utility and her black can always be an expensive stun (and black is a color that's not often used.)

She's not worth taking over others after your 5 green Wolverine is sufficiently leveled up and you can kill goons before their cooldowns pop - at that point AP generation and stuns are more important. But before abilities got really OP, I was kicking rear end with Moonstone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks death cab, updated the op, not that anyone reads it. :qq:

Been thinking about clearing out Magneto Now and Bullseye from my stable, MN's timer abilities just dont give you damage when you need it, i.e. RIGHT NOW, and he never comes up for events anyway. Bulleye is a fourth wheel now that my DA preferred team is Rag, Moonstone and Daken. Though once Rag is levelled enough I guess I dont even need any other Dark Avengers. :v:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I always have tonnes of red on the board because 1) it has a strike tile on it.

If you never match your precious strike tiles, how is Moonstone going to fire her Photon Blast?

edit: ^^^^I've been thinking of selling Grey Magneto too. He's just a poor man's Classic Magneto and I already have one of those.^^^^

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Rather specific question: does X-Force Wolverine's green ability generate AP? The list of abilities in the OP doesn't say one way or the other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a tile converter, so no.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do I switch which character is my active character in the middle of a match?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zotix posted:

How do I switch which character is my active character in the middle of a match?

Whoever has the strongest attack with the tiles you match will make the attack and be hit by the enemy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The character whose symbol is on the tile you match first. In case of a double match, its the tile you are dragging.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

The character whose symbol is on the tile you match first. In case of a double match, its the tile you are dragging.

This is super important.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SynthOrange posted:

I was going to ask a question about Storm Classic and Captain America specs, but then I saw that they were addressed in the op :glomp:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

No one ever reads any match 3 OP, I know this well...

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

seravid posted:

If you never match your precious strike tiles, how is Moonstone going to fire her Photon Blast?

edit: ^^^^I've been thinking of selling Grey Magneto too. He's just a poor man's Classic Magneto and I already have one of those.^^^^

I've been thinking I wish I sold my IW covers that I've got so far and then I'd be 500 HC richer (300 for the slot she takes) Now all I can get is 50 HC :(

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Eddain posted:

How are people building Original Widow? I was thinking 3/5/5 but her passive requires her to actually attack the enemy, and she's pretty fragile to be out in the front.

I'm going 3/5/5 with her, because her passive is absolutely amazing with some wolfie strike tiles, and you generally only need 2 matches for her blue or purple abilities anyway. Secondary matches do a whole bunch of damage, and then you can heal a bunch or steal 3 ap!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
2 Mags, 5/5/3, 4/5/4, or 3/5/5? I've got a shot ton of blue covers sitting around and I need to commit to going over 3 or recycle them for iso-8. I feel like his red might be better than blue in terms of damage, but when are you going to use it over the rest of your team? 4 cooldown timer is a joke, but I figure you put it in the bottom corner and maybe you get some crazy action in a few turns.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Man, that mission for the last piece - I've no idea how to even approach it.
Level 230 Rags/Jugs/MoonMoon and I'm forced to use my baby punisher.
Even with 70 Thor and 85 Wolverine I'm not getting through, which is the only way I just managed to scrape through the 3rd hidden piece mission.

Damnit, I'll never know this mission's ending dialogue (if there is any)!

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

matryx posted:

Even with 70 Thor and 85 Wolverine I'm not getting through, which is the only way I just managed to scrape through the 3rd hidden piece mission.

Wolvie and Thor will work just fine. You have to rely on a bit of luck so that Rag doesn't get his pain train going, but boosts for all colors, RY, and GB. Focus on Rag first, since it's hard to stop him once he gets going. Beginning of the fight use wolverine's green ability twice, and look for another green to match (or 5 match of any color). Keep going until you have 5-7 strike tiles on the board, then proceed to lay waste with thor's red and yellow abilities as soon as you get them(yellow before red if you can just so you get a chance to get free green matches --> more strike tiles). The hope is to kill rags first, then destroy venom before he can stun/devour your team. If you can get Rag down, then it's almost smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

matryx posted:

It's pretty spiderman dependent unless you have really high level characters or the luck to deny all green and red tiles until you can kill rags and jugs