Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Valkyria Chronicles 2 didn't sell that well, and the PSP was both on its way out and not that well entrenched in the US. Game quality isn't the sole deciding factor when it comes to whether or not a game is brought over - in fact, I'd suspect it has very little bearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Endorph posted:

Well, Valkyria Chronicles 2 didn't sell that well, and the PSP was both on its way out and not that well entrenched in the US. Game quality isn't the sole deciding factor when it comes to whether or not a game is brought over - in fact, I'd suspect it has very little bearing.

Yeah, it probably has more to do with the fact that it's a niche title on a dead console in a franchise where the last title was crap. And I would be OK with that, if digital-only budget releases, sometimes without expensive English dubs, were not a thing that better publishers occasionally did. The Vita is semi-backwards compatible! Just plop it on the store for $30 and call it a day!

If you'll excuse me I'm off to see if I can break 200 hours in Way of the Samurai 4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even without a dub, translating all that text takes time and money. Not to mention that using the japanese audio sometimes requires you to pay the original japanese voice actors again, depending on their contracts. They couldn't just wave their magic wand and have a translated VC3 for us.

You're free to think it was the wrong call to make, but they made the decision after analyzing their product and the market and determining that it wouldn't be a profitable venture for them. Considering they're a business, I think that's fair enough - and I say that as someone who wishes it was released here as well, along with about eighty other things that never got US releases.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Endorph posted:

Even without a dub, translating all that text takes time and money. Not to mention that using the japanese audio sometimes requires you to pay the original japanese voice actors again, depending on their contracts. They couldn't just wave their magic wand and have a translated VC3 for us.

You're free to think it was the wrong call to make, but they made the decision after analyzing their product and the market and determining that it wouldn't be a profitable venture for them. Considering they're a business, I think that's fair enough - and I say that as someone who wishes it was released here as well, along with about eighty other things that never got US releases.

I feel like I'm needlessly provoking you into rebutting my silly joke arguments, when there's really no need. There's a translation patch for the game in question, and you can go out and buy a PSP and a Japanese copy of VC3 and play it now. The point is moot. I was not being entirely serious. Don't get antagonized just because some rear end in a top hat on a humor forum is trying to be cute.

Speaking of which, there's a tutorial on this forum on how to set up a Japanese PSN account without speaking the language, right? I should probably pick up VC3 while it's cheap so I don't have to literally steal it to play it at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, no, I wasn't antagonized, sorry if I came across that way. I'm just pretty interested in the translation process in general and feel like a lot of people don't appreciate the effort that goes into it (not directed at you, just a general thing I've noticed). No worries, man.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Yeah, it's easy to forget that a text heavy game like Yakuza or an SRPG like Valkyria can easily eat up more time and budget in script localization, making it not sound stilted, etc. than voice acting, especially if you only pay for the original Japanese VO, which not all games can effectively get away with. Persona wouldn't work with only Japanese voices, IMHO. It really is too bad that being a good game isn't enough to get yourself across the ocean, and stuff like Innocent Sin PSP is nothing short of miraculous.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Is that why we only got Innocent Sin PSP and not Eternal Punishment PSP stateside? Instead they just released the original P2:EP on PSN so it could also be played on PSP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

Is that why we only got Innocent Sin PSP and not Eternal Punishment PSP stateside? Instead they just released the original P2:EP on PSN so it could also be played on PSP?

All we know about that is that someone at the Atlus home office would not allow the English release for some reason or another. It's probably not budget-related in this case.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Are the Valkyria Chronicles games standalone or would you ideally play them all in order? I don't have a PS3 but could play the other two

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Here's a pretty great Christmas present:

The Valkyria Chronicles III translation patch finally dropped. Sorta. Some people are having issues getting the patch to work, but whatever. It might work for you, and they should have a fix soon anyway.

So anyone try this out yet? How playable is it? How much of the translation is missing? How noticeable are the missing bits? Is the translation any good? I'm really interested in this right now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Can't seem to find this in the thread, but someone was "inspired" by Quest for Glory and made a game called Heroinne's Quest which is actually oddly good so far. At least I am having fun sneaking around the local bar boozing up the captain of the local guard for his keys, while training my stealth skill.

http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So anyone try this out yet? How playable is it? How much of the translation is missing? How noticeable are the missing bits? Is the translation any good? I'm really interested in this right now.
I haven't checked it out yet, but

quote:

Known bugs:
The tutorial text has some serious formatting problems. The formatting correction was lost in a harddrive crash, and we haven’t gone back and fixed them yet. Given that you’re probably all major fans of the series, we hope that you won’t need to read too much of that text to figure out what stuff does.

There’s some spillover text in some areas of the base camp. They were discovered rather late in editing because the game apparently handles items that aren’t purchased differently from items already purchased.

To-do list:
Fix the bugs mentioned above
Finish the mission objectives
Most E2 exclusive missions
DLC missions and translations
Encyclopedia and Newspaper
E2 means 'extra edition 2', and is a rerelease of the game with added missions (and is the version of the game the patch is for)

Ergo, what's missing is the bonus missions from E2, the DLC Missions, The Encyclopedia/Newspaper, some of the mission objectives, and some of the tutorial text and base camp stuff is hosed. Everything else seems to be translated.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Can't seem to find this in the thread, but someone was "inspired" by Quest for Glory and made a game called Heroinne's Quest which is actually oddly good so far. At least I am having fun sneaking around the local bar boozing up the captain of the local guard for his keys, while training my stealth skill.

http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

Thanks for posting this, I'm downloading without even watching the video. The concept, and price, are enough for me!

Edit: I'm liking this a lot. The writing isn't quite up to par with the actual Quest for Glory games, but it's trying. I appreciate the fact that they've kept true to the amount of flavour text found in the games that inspired them, because I just tried talking to a wall and a flag and each had unique responses. I also really like the graphics, they got the old QfG style down pretty well. The voice acting is fairly good, especially for a free game, and unlike the Blackwell games (which you have to pay for!) the lead doesn't sound like an obnoxious nerd.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 27, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So atlus is doing a sale on 3ds eshop right now with their games so leads me to this question.

Between Etrian Odyssey 4 and EO: Untold, which is "the" one to get?

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 27, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

EO:Untold is a remake of the first game with an optional story mode. So if you have played 1 before you might want to skip it.

I personally enjoyed 4 more, I wasn't too impressed with the story mode in Untold.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Edge Maverick from SO4 immediately comes to mind, and that's a big budget RPG.

Srice posted:

Edge Maverick was a really cool name for an otherwise forgettable, bland as hell protagonist.

You can't do worse than Fate Linegod in name or character. He's a key reason why I hate SO3 more than any other JRPG I've played in history.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not Fate. Fayt. :goonsay:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wendell posted:

Thanks for posting this, I'm downloading without even watching the video. The concept, and price, are enough for me!

Edit: I'm liking this a lot. The writing isn't quite up to par with the actual Quest for Glory games, but it's trying. I appreciate the fact that they've kept true to the amount of flavour text found in the games that inspired them, because I just tried talking to a wall and a flag and each had unique responses. I also really like the graphics, they got the old QfG style down pretty well. The voice acting is fairly good, especially for a free game, and unlike the Blackwell games (which you have to pay for!) the lead doesn't sound like an obnoxious nerd.

Yeah, the game is a bit rough around the edges in some places, but the VA is not as bad as you might find in other indie adventure games, and they have the QfG thing down to a near science. Now all I have to figure out is how to get into the thieves' lodge via that weird alphabet on furniture puzzle

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

You can't do worse than Fate Linegod in name or character. He's a key reason why I hate SO3 more than any other JRPG I've played in history.

Endorph posted:

Not Fate. Fayt. :goonsay:

Also it's Leingod. If it was Linegod, I could at least pretend it was pronounced lin-eh-god, which could at least maybe pass for a believable last name.

Instead it's Fayt Leingod, pronounced exactly as you think it is, attached to a character deserving of a name so stupid.

EDIT: Welp, turns out his Japanese name was Fate Linegod, so the translators actively made things worse. :smithicide:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Alexander O Smith worked on the translation for SO3, and he has been quoted as saying the game was "too anime." (Unfortunately I can no longer find the article that had that quote). I don't think changing his name from "Fate" to "Fayt" really helped, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think we should all just accept that Star Ocean 2 was an anomaly in that terrible series.

Endorph posted:

I haven't checked it out yet, but

E2 means 'extra edition 2', and is a rerelease of the game with added missions (and is the version of the game the patch is for)

Ergo, what's missing is the bonus missions from E2, the DLC Missions, The Encyclopedia/Newspaper, some of the mission objectives, and some of the tutorial text and base camp stuff is hosed. Everything else seems to be translated.

Yeah, but having very limited knowledge of the game, I don't really know what most of that stuff really is, nor how noticeable it is. Basically, I'm just wondering if this is a patch worth using right away or if it's better to just wait for a finished polished patch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's... all bonus content? Iunno, I thought it was all fairly self-explanatory. The bonus missions and DLC missions are optional stuff I'm fairly certain, the main storyline is completely playable - the newspaper and encyclopedia have some world-building stuff, but nothing critical.

Whether or not it's worth using right away depends on how desperate you are to play VC3. If this is something you've been waiting for since the day it came out in Japan, go for it. If you just heard about the game now and are just somewhat interested, it might be better to wait.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Alexander O Smith worked on the translation for SO3, and he has been quoted as saying the game was "too anime." (Unfortunately I can no longer find the article that had that quote). I don't think changing his name from "Fate" to "Fayt" really helped, though.

Dunno why he didn't just change his name entirely. I'm pretty sure most of the names in the English version were entirely new.

I think we should all just accept that Star Ocean 2 was an anomaly in that terrible series.

I really want to play SO1 just because SO4 is so heavily littered with references to it that I want to understand said references better.

As for SO2, it had a PSP remake just like SO1, right? Maybe I need to check those out. I know the PS1 version is popular around here but I've heard not too great things about the voice-acting. Maybe I'l just play both versions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea if you are going to play SO1, play the psp remake. It uses every mechanic / crafting thing from SO2 so the transition should be easy for anyone that has played it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

So atlus is doing a sale on 3ds eshop right now with their games so leads me to this question.

Between Etrian Odyssey 4 and EO: Untold, which is "the" one to get?

If you can only get one, I would get EO4. The story mode in EO:U struck me as really "meh" all around. EO4 was pretty great the whole way through if you're a fan of the series, although I will say I think it is the easiest one of the series as well. Still fun though.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Somehow despite having terrible characters, a terrible art style, MP death, and arguably the worst story to ever grace a JRPG I had far too much fun with SO3 to not mindlessly defend it at every opportunity. Also SO1 isn't even a bad game anyway. :colbert:

SO4, on the other hand, is an irredeemable mess so people can crap on it all they want for all I care.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I really enjoyed Star Ocean 3 alot, but man I instantly turned off the voice acting after I heard the first line of dialogue. Shame it was unavoidable in the cut scenes!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The PSP port of SO2 is pretty bad. They somehow managed to get even worse voice acting and use it for every single line instead of just combat grunts. Plus they gave everyone a 3 hit melee combo that invalidates most of the their special attacks and did some really bizarre equipment rebalancing (the first thing that comes to mind is that one of the best shields is now an accessory, complete with its old stats). And then they shoehorned in that dumb inventor chick from SO3 as a really bad playable character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dis astranagant posted:

And then they shoehorned in that dumb inventor chick from SO3 as a really bad playable character.

She can't be worse than SO4's incarnation of Welch :shepface:.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When placed next to SO3, I positively adore SO4. But yes, SO4 Welch is probably a good indicator of if you can even play the game. I like that she pops up early to talk with Edge as kind of a warning. "If you can't handle this, turn the PS3/Xbox off right now and return the game or maybe go and bury it with all those ET cartridges".

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

NikkolasKing posted:

When placed next to SO3, I positively adore SO4. But yes, SO4 Welch is probably a good indicator of if you can even play the game. I like that she pops up early to talk with Edge as kind of a warning. "If you can't handle this, turn the PS3/Xbox off right now and return the game or maybe go and bury it with all those ET cartridges".

Just be glad not all of what they had made the jump overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpEKPb15Cw

Even though I actually like this exchange.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just be glad not all of what they had made the jump overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpEKPb15Cw

Even though I actually like this exchange.

Eh? That scene is in the English version too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6eCYKtdTVI

And yep, it is one of the better PAs in the game most definitely. I like when people can poke fun at themselves or, in this case, at their own fanbase.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

Somehow despite having terrible characters, a terrible art style, MP death, and arguably the worst story to ever grace a JRPG I had far too much fun with SO3 to not mindlessly defend it at every opportunity. Also SO1 isn't even a bad game anyway. :colbert:

SO4, on the other hand, is an irredeemable mess so people can crap on it all they want for all I care.

As a big fan of SO2 at the time, I ended up not liking SO1 much at all when the fan translation for the SNES version came out in like 2002. So really, SO2 is the only game in the series I liked. It's a bummer to hear that the PSP version is apparently real bad.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

J posted:

If you can only get one, I would get EO4. The story mode in EO:U struck me as really "meh" all around. EO4 was pretty great the whole way through if you're a fan of the series, although I will say I think it is the easiest one of the series as well. Still fun though.

Alright EO4 it is. I have played a bunch of Wizardry back in the day but never an EO game so hopefully it lives up to what I think it is.

*ed*

Well EO4 it is, if the 3ds eshop wasn't down right now :argh:

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 28, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Evil Canadian posted:

Alright EO4 it is. I have played a bunch of Wizardry back in the day but never an EO game so hopefully it lives up to what I think it is.
It probably won't, fair warning. Etrian Odyssey games are super simplistic when you get right down to it and the "draw your own map" gimmick is more of a bother than enjoyable. I keep trying to like them, but I just can't bring it over myself, and I play roguelikes. Strange Journey does the same thing, but a lot better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The same can also be said of the Class of Heroes series, which tends to just toss asinine poo poo like a line of spinner closets that crosses half a floor only to forget that you can bring up a full minimap complete with what direction you're facing at any time.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

It probably won't, fair warning. Etrian Odyssey games are super simplistic when you get right down to it and the "draw your own map" gimmick is more of a bother than enjoyable. I keep trying to like them, but I just can't bring it over myself, and I play roguelikes. Strange Journey does the same thing, but a lot better.

To each his own but for me the map drawing adds a layer of immersion that other games in the genre lack. I get a much stronger feeling of being an adventurer in uncharted hostile territory from EO than from most dungeon crawlers. And there have been times I've made a mistake on the map and had to go back and explore the level again to see where I messed up. And I wouldn't call the games simplistic, either. It's just that the focus is more on building a party and synergising their abilities and generally exploring rather than having a dungeon that's a puzzle to be solved. Although if you want a more puzzley dungeon The Dark Spire is pretty good and usually dirt cheap if you can find a copy. Much closer to the original Wizardry games.

Speaking of Wizardry games you can get Wizardry 6,7, and 8 on Steam for $3.74. Pretty good deal for some old-school dungeoneering.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cardiovorax posted:

This would be the one reason to pick EO Untold - the automap feature in it also draws walls for you! And you can move twice as fast, and autosave every time you rest at the inn, and make text go super fast, and a thousand other little things.

(But EO4 is still better so far.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Joshlemagne posted:

And I wouldn't call the games simplistic, either. It's just that the focus is more on building a party and synergising their abilities and generally exploring rather than having a dungeon that's a puzzle to be solved.
I don't mind the lack of puzzles so much, but I think the party building isn't really very engaging and there's a dearth of abilities that are actually fun and interesting to use. Combat is also very basic and uninteresting, which is a really bad thing for a game that has so much of it.

Strange Journey is basically exactly the same concept, being a party-based dungeon crawler, but it spices it up a whole lot more with lots of dialogue and a pretty engaging story, unlockable and equippable abilities, Forma search, hidden/secret monsters, crafting, negotiation with and fusion of demons... A lot more of everything, basically. It feels a lot more like actually playing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think it's that fair to call EO4 super simplistic unless you just mean the dungeon design in comparison to Wizardry's dungeons. Then yeah, they mailed it in a bit on the dungeon design compared to the previous installments. The class mechanics and such are above average in complexity and you can do a lot of fun builds though, which is really what drives most discussions about EO.