Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Giedroyc posted:

- Gunslinger chest might be back

It is. I think the PvP Season 2 test topic addresses it specifically as one of the currently-unavailable styles this vendor will have.

In fact, I think they've thrown around all of them by name save the Checkmate styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, I reached level 30, what do I do now? Just group up with people until I get better gear? Per the little tutorial thing I tried a 1v1 match and got a humiliating beat down. I don't even know what my character is supposed to be! DPS, I guess? I use Celestial Cursed powers and duel wield.

Also, is there a way to turn off LFG or trade in the chat window? That poo poo runs by really fast and I can't imagine trying to use any sort of group chat with it going on.

If anyone wants to give me a quick run down sometime I'm on the PS4, and my PSN ID is GremLegend

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Grem posted:

Also, is there a way to turn off LFG or trade in the chat window? That poo poo runs by really fast and I can't imagine trying to use any sort of group chat with it going on.

Hold options button > options > settings > chat options tab > default (square to edit) deselect LFG/trade and square to save. It does actually now save your chat options.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
The new DLC looks interesting. Adding another hard light class doesn't surprise me, though it being a tank class is pretty interesting.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Sorry to inundate with so many questions, but on the powers, when it says to use by by, say, tap melee (or whatever), hold ranged, on the PS4 that would mean tap square, hold triangle? Cause when I try to use that particular power, it charges a double throw.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
For Power Combos, you do the first power, then do the tap melee, hold ranged combination as the first power plays out and it will automatically launch into the second power. At least, I think that's how it works.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Yeah that's how it works, but for you to do the combo you need to have the power in both trees. So for example you need both smite and haunt (in order to do their combos) but you don't need to have both powers equipped.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Giedroyc posted:

Yeah that's how it works, but for you to do the combo you need to have the power in both trees. So for example you need both smite and haunt (in order to do their combos) but you don't need to have both powers equipped.

And Celestial can only chain a max of like 2 or 3 combos, whereas Lanterns can pretty much infinitely chain as long as they have all the powers needed and don't chain into any of the handful of "finisher" ones.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Okay so, you use a power on R2 or L2, then push the buttons needed for the combo? But if I'm trying to combo from a Smite, into Haunt, I need to have them both unlocked, right?

Is there anywhere to find a practice dummy to try this out on besides PvP?

Professor Lazy
Jun 25, 2011

Grem posted:

Okay so, you use a power on R2 or L2, then push the buttons needed for the combo? But if I'm trying to combo from a Smite, into Haunt, I need to have them both unlocked, right?

Is there anywhere to find a practice dummy to try this out on besides PvP?

If you're a hero, there's a war room with dummies below the central hub of the Watchtower. In the central hub, drop down to the lowest level and go north and towards the center (directly below the entrance to the meta wing), there should be a door that leads down to it.

I'm not sure where it is in the Hall of Doom if you're a villain. But look for "war room" in the map and it should be there.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

What power sets pair well with shield? Power respecs are cheap right now and earth and I ain't friends and I am too committed to gimmick to switch weapons from my beautiful trash can lid

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Spaceman Bill posted:

What power sets pair well with shield? Power respecs are cheap right now and earth and I ain't friends and I am too committed to gimmick to switch weapons from my beautiful trash can lid

electricity. It just looks loving sick for some reason. Plus it's a sweet powerset.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is power still based around collecting achievement points? do villains still dominate pvp? is the holy powerset any good? thinking of getting back into the PC version, i had fun while i played but collecting achievements got old.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

No, you can mod gear with stats that enhance your role more than skill points, however you need to grind a bit to get the exobits to do so.

No, PVP is crossfaction now to eliminate queues.

Yes, celestial is fun for dps, never tried healing.

If you ever subscribed in the past now they're offering free legendary access for a month (started a week or so ago).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Giedroyc posted:

If you ever subscribed in the past now they're offering free legendary access for a month (started a week or so ago).

Do you get an extra free month if you're already a subscriber?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Fuzz posted:

Do you get an extra free month if you're already a subscriber?

No. Only for lapsed-subscribers, claiming a new month also overwrites it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Any reason to play villains now that they don't dominate pvp?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

malhavok posted:

Any reason to play villains now that they don't dominate pvp?

You don't have to listen to Oracle or Superman

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
So who are the folks who play a lot now? I tried looking up everyone in the OP and no one was on. Has that list changed? Are folks on one side (heroes/villains) more than the other?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I legit do not know if anyone but myself and razorrozar are still playing this regularly. (I've been offline for a few days with some nasty infections - surprisingly, that kind of poo poo makes flying in-game NAUSEAVISION for me)

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I legit do not know if anyone but myself and razorrozar are still playing this regularly. (I've been offline for a few days with some nasty infections - surprisingly, that kind of poo poo makes flying in-game NAUSEAVISION for me)

Names? I may join up sometime soon, especially when the new DLC hits.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
He'll offer his shortly (we mostly chat via Steamchat since I'm endgame and he's middle right now) but I've got Billy Jeans on hero, Satellite Mind on villain.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Also, do you guys tend to play more on heroes or villains?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I play every night on the PS4, but I'm not very good :( I get my poo poo pushed in on tier 2 duos if my partner is a dufus, and no one chats.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
Any goon-run leagues on the playsation side of things? Just reached endgame stuff. I tend to play after 5PST, character name is Moose Haywood... If you see a tall, blonde man who looks like a bartender in a gay nightclub, you found him.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

I live in the UK but play on the US PS3/PS4 server usually only after work in the evening, so it tends to be the time zone equivalent of the afternoon for most of you. Don't think there's been much of an SA league presence since launch, but most people play on PC.*

*Most people here, the PS population is much larger in general.

Giedroyc fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 28, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I got on for awhile earlier (PC) and used the old Goonsquad channel to see if anyone else was on, but no one responded. If the Red/Blue Lanterns wind up having the same cool chaining gimmick the hard light ones do, I'll probably be a lot more active again, in case anyone else was considering coming back if there was more of a goon presence.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Are you goons more on villains or heroes?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Grem posted:

I play every night on the PS4, but I'm not very good :( I get my poo poo pushed in on tier 2 duos if my partner is a dufus, and no one chats.

That'll generally happen if you're geared around the level you're playing.

If your CR is somewhere below the CR of the gear the instance drops, you'll have a hard time. If it's equal, you'll do okay if your partner isn't retarded. If it's above, you'll have a varyingly easy time. If it's way above, you can probably solo Alerts, let alone duos.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I had a similar problem to Syrg - got subscribed right after Christmas and was promptly too sick to play for three days. My level 30 is named Karasendrieth, she's a mental DPSer. Not sure whether I should go quantum or hardlight now that I'm subscribed, which is better DPS?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hard Light, probably, but Quantum's pretty fun regardless.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Yeah I've been leveling a quantum dps character and it's pretty fun so far. It's pretty funny how fast I can get to the level cap now that I've done it a few times. I'm dreading the SP grind though. They really need to make some of the achievements unlock across all of your characters, that would be boss. :smith:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

They're going to add the ability to unlock SP using replay badges for ones you've already earned. I find it's just a lot easier if you focus on one character or one hero, one villain.

My quantum hero is currently dps while I'm waiting for a decent ranged weapon to drop in order to go controller (best so far was 81 level dual pistols) so I'm mainly getting feats/doing seasonal stuff and completing collections waiting for Update 33 and unlimited PVP to begin. Have managed to complete all collections apart from Gotham Wastelands/home turf Arkham/Stryker's Island ones. Extra cash has bought most of the 'New 52' lockbox iconic styles.

Oh yeah if you want money, that treasure chest in Khandaq that drops a 77.7DPS weapon? very popular since they banned PVP weapons even if you can only do it once a week.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
So with the new DLC that's coming and the supposed redux of Metropolis, I take it the entire leveling experience will be different content-wise from what it is now? If that's the case I may just wait till then to start a new character.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
No, I'm willing to bet the 'new' Metropolis is going to be a gated-off area a la the Gotham Wastelands. It would be kind of crazy for them to turn part of the biggest newbie hub in the game into ENDGAME PARTY TOWN suddenly.

That said, a couple of patches ago redid the entire levelling structure already. Give it a go if you haven't.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

The new structure is rather restrictive but not that fun for Batman/Joker mentored people. Basically they lock you to doing the initial Huntress/Scarecrow mission and then Bane. You can't choose any of the other mentor quests until you're level 15(?) or so. Races give far less XP so if you get stuck on the one early boss that both heals AND has an instant kill (when you don't kill him quickly enough) then you're screwed until you do beat him, or level up by collections. The tour of the HQ mission/R&D/vault/lair missions are all linked to the completion of that quest and won't trigger until it's finished.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Giedroyc posted:

The new structure is rather restrictive but not that fun for Batman/Joker mentored people. Basically they lock you to doing the initial Huntress/Scarecrow mission and then Bane. You can't choose any of the other mentor quests until you're level 15(?) or so. Races give far less XP so if you get stuck on the one early boss that both heals AND has an instant kill (when you don't kill him quickly enough) then you're screwed until you do beat him, or level up by collections. The tour of the HQ mission/R&D/vault/lair missions are all linked to the completion of that quest and won't trigger until it's finished.

This sounds a lot worse than the way it used to be.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Giedroyc posted:

Haha, are people actually skipping Bane now? It's hard but only because I'm stubborn and I avoid using soders/supercharges for the cheevos.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I didn't have any trouble with Bane with my gadget character, ran it solo as soon as I got to it and beat him without dying once, though I did have to use a soda or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

razorrozar posted:

I didn't have any trouble with Bane with my gadget character, ran it solo as soon as I got to it and beat him without dying once, though I did have to use a soda or two.

I also did not have trouble with Bane as either Sorcery or Gadgets.

• Locked thread