Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Just want to thank my Secret Santa for being awesome. I don't have either of these and I've never seen that version of Evac before. Thanks for the M&Ms as well. I love the Christmas bags that they came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

Just want to thank my Secret Santa for being awesome. I don't have either of these and I've never seen that version of Evac before. Thanks for the M&Ms as well. I love the Christmas bags that they came in.

You're welcome sir! Merry Christmas!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
That version of Evac can only be bought at Universal Studios Hollywood and Orlando. It's a toy of the Autobot you ride in on the Transformers ride. That's a really smart pick for a Secret Santa gift because most people probably aren't going to have it unless they've hit one of two souvenir shops on the continent.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I kind of lost interest and stopped reading the IDW comics around when Dark Cybertron started (this time of year is loving nuts), although I have them all sitting in my Comixology queue. Well, I guess I should read 'em this weekend so I know what everybody's talking about at least.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Very little has actually happened so far.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, all that's really happened are the two remains of the factions teaming up against Shockwave to save Megatron/stop Nova and Galvatron coming through, and Cyclonus getting Dark Universe cooties. It's a complete non-event so far with lots of jarring art transitions to boot.

In other news, that fan vote kabuki-waifutron character from a couple of months back is getting a one-shot of her own once its all over, and she seems to piss off Starscream or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I guess I just got myself an MP Smokescreen for Christmas. I'm more looking forward to the Sideswipe reissue but Smokey was always my favorite of the Datsuns.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I hope my Secret Santa got their gift. I checked USPS and it said that it was delivered. I'm always iffy about how well USPS handles delivering packages. Hope it arrived to the intended recipient. :ohdear:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It would appear that the writer for the upcoming Windblade comic has inherited the rather unenviable job of unfucking Simon Furman's disastrous handling of Arcee and female Transformers in general. So far she seems to have a pretty good grasp on how catastrophically bad the whole Arcee thing is, hopefully the greater TF community at large will not be stupid about thi

Griffin73 posted:

I just hope this isn't going to have some kind of agenda-based theme behind it. I just want Cybetron-related stories, not leftist political commentary to creep into a comic book that I read to my son.
:allears:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, Simon Furman kind of has a problem with women.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Prime%27s_Rib!

I want all this Spotlight Arcee business to be behind us and long gone.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'm excited. Heck, Scott was able to make some people flip their opinions on Miko in Prime. And I have several prints that Stone's done hanging in my home, so I look forward to seeing how she is on sequential art.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's funny that we call it 'unenviable' even though it's a really awesome chance to change the brand, even in a small way, in a meaningful quarter. Though I agree it's fair to do so, since the backlash is going to be unreal gross. Regardless I'm excited for seeing how this plays out and it's a really good note to exit Dark Cybertron on. RID is supposed to be more political centered a narrative to begin with, isn't it?

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm excited. Heck, Scott was able to make some people flip their opinions on Miko in Prime.
I didn't realize she also wrote Stronger, Faster and Hurt. Probably two of the best episodes of the show.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

It's funny that we call it 'unenviable' even though it's a really awesome chance to change the brand, even in a small way, in a meaningful quarter.

Considering Hasbro's been making a move towards IDW being the "mainline" G1 continuity with the Generations pack-in comics and use of comic-based sculpts, I think this will be a great chance to finally excise the one really nasty part of IDW TF that really shouldn't have been there in the first place. I've got high hopes for this, just not for the inevitably dumb fan response.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

GrimGypsy posted:

Robots in Disguise #24 is pretty :stare:
Having Megatron appear as an apparent ally just to get loving torn in half exactly one panel later, for example.

Out of all the silly things and the rising casualty count, though, the thing I'm having the hardest time wrapping my head around is Waspinator being shoehorned in and given this crucial role. Amidst all this apocalyptic stuff going on and everyone missing limbs and the Autobot/Decepticon populations being down to apparently like 10 dudes, Waspinator just zipping around with Shockwave and the Undead Titan is so loving surreal.

Well, what do you expect? He's obviously the one behind it all!

After all, Wazzzzzpinator haz planzzz....

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

3 posted:

Considering Hasbro's been making a move towards IDW being the "mainline" G1 continuity with the Generations pack-in comics and use of comic-based sculpts, I think this will be a great chance to finally excise the one really nasty part of IDW TF that really shouldn't have been there in the first place. I've got high hopes for this, just not for the inevitably dumb fan response.

I hope he finds the common ground between our opinions on Arcee. It's a shame that the grotesque body horror stuff also treated the female gender like a punishment. I mean let's put it this way, if the new Janelle Monae album was about a race of genderless robots (mostly portrayed as male), and one of them being forcibly converted to female, I'm pretty sure it would be handled well. It's tantalizingly possible for this to be interesting, even though that character has been a wet fart thus far.

I'd prefer to see a scenario where Arcee's presence and the TFs contact with gendered species has caused some of the new protoforms (or whatever the gently caress those things that appear in the ground are) to be female, everyone is surprised but not alarmed, Arcee calms the gently caress down a bit (but is still a capable warrior and hates Jhiaxus), and the door is opened for cool female TFs forever and ever amen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'd prefer to see a scenario where Arcee's presence and the TFs contact with gendered species has caused some of the new protoforms (or whatever the gently caress those things that appear in the ground are)
Somewhat off topic but that's an interesting thought - Those things in the ground were sparks. It was implied they construct bodies for sparks, but I think he only explicitly stated that for the sparks siphoned off the Matrix. I don't think Roberts addressed whether or not sparks have forged bodies or use protoforms, or even what protoforms represent in the Cybertronian life cycle - though they were referenced in the scavengers arc of MTMTE as existing in a segment that could basically be subtitled as 'Roberts drops a ton of hints'.

There are also no new sparks available and I think that was going to be addressed in why I say, it's time to get angry about Dark Cybertron wasting months of our time again!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

Somewhat off topic but that's an interesting thought - Those things in the ground were sparks. It was implied they construct bodies for sparks, but I think he only explicitly stated that for the sparks siphoned off the Matrix. I don't think Roberts addressed whether or not sparks have forged bodies or use protoforms, or even what protoforms represent in the Cybertronian life cycle - though they were referenced in the scavengers arc of MTMTE as existing in a segment that could basically be subtitled as 'Roberts drops a ton of hints'.

There are also no new sparks available and I think that was going to be addressed in why I say, it's time to get angry about Dark Cybertron wasting months of our time again!

MTME brings forth the idea that 'forged' cybertronians have both their sparks and bodies (the 'sentio metallico') birthed from Cybertron itself, which is why the idea that being forged makes you somehow inherently better exists; Ratchet is forged and therefore a better medic, because his hands were gifts from Primus himself, and not built by some plebe in a factory somewhere.

Which brings me to my point that Roberts et al have done nearly the impossible and created a believable ecosystem and society out of what is still, let's be honest here, a big commercial for children's toys. After all, the concept of a whole society of robots created whole cloth from the literal souls and living metal generated by their planet is one of the foundations of Transformers "mythology" but is also patently ridiculous when you think about it. But MTME and RID (and those two actually good books in the run-up to Chaos) take what was basically a paper-thin excuse to explain where all these robits come from, and turn it into really well done social commentary on essentially apartheid and state-sponsored eugenics.

Incidentally, this is why it rankles me every time I hear some neckbeard drone on about how "all I want is robot fights, keep politics out of this!" because Transformers as a franchise has fantastic potential as a vehicle for social and political commentary (see Terry's fantastic CineD threads on the Bay films), and this is why I really dig the post-war IDW stuff (and really kind of hate Dark Cybertron for bringing that schlocky dead universe garbage back). The franchise has historically been mostly an excuse to have two sides punch each other in the service of selling toys, but having the eternal toyetic war actually end and then have these big bombastic action heroes/villains have to sort through the mess to get their society going again is a loving ballsy move. In this, I believe MTME et al serve well as an optimistic counterpoint to the brutal nihilism of the Bay films (and are much easier to digest to boot).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought that forged sparks had their bodies built just like the ones that were constructed cold, and Ratchet was just being a little racist about the whole matter.

Transformers as a piece of science fiction has developed into way more of an interesting thing than it ever had any right to. I guess it may be one of the biggest pieces of sci-fi where the vast majority of the characters are nonhuman, and along with exploring the transformers' own weird alien physiological nature, it deals with a lot of bigger issues, like politics, morality, and the toll of war, along with more classic sci-fi issues like there being a huge complicated galaxy out there and fiddling around with the fundamental elements of the universe.

Here we are in an era where weird sci-fi is mostly dead, with the Transformers franchise shining out like a weird, unexpected beacon.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Yeah, I've evangelized the IDW books to several comic book fans who are not TF fans, and when I explain the ongoing story to them there is a near-universal reaction of "...was it always that interesting?" To which I do answer that this level of complexity is a fairly recent development. The contrast between the Bay films and the IDW stuff is really incredible, and it looks like the exploration of gender that's warming up in the aftermath of Dark Cybertron is going to highlight that contrast even more when it runs parallel to the release of the fourth Bay film.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Prowl, Bluestreak and Smokescreen cost me £34 each, inc shipping. That's like not even twenty quid more than FoC Jazz or Prime costs round here.

From a few pages back, but I would also like to know where you're getting these from, MP Smokescreen cost me £60.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Goldskull posted:

From a few pages back, but I would also like to know where you're getting these from, MP Smokescreen cost me £60.

Seriously, I've got spare cash that needs throwing around.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Buy MPs direct from Japanese retailers (HLJ, hobby search, amiami). They tend to be about half the price of import shops. Of course, in some countries, you'll then be playing the customs fees roulette.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

SpikeMcclane posted:

Buy MPs direct from Japanese retailers (HLJ, hobby search, amiami). They tend to be about half the price of import shops. Of course, in some countries, you'll then be playing the customs fees roulette.

I need to hire someone to order JP MP toys for me, I am never on at the right time. Split shipping with you to make it cheaper, etc.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp turns out that one of the 5 dollar Playmobile accessory sets that's just a bunch of tables cups and trays can fit perfectly in Swerve's hands.

So you can get a tray and matching cups that a tiny robot can hold and you don't need this 3rd party fake Swerve business.

Seriously shame on you for thinking some other robot could be a pretender to Swerve's throne.

He never had a pretender figure in G1 to begin with. :colbert:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
UK TRU chat again, I was in one today and they have the Generations Starscream wave. I saw Magnus and Sideswipe, plus Megs and Trailbreaker. Also Prime BH stuff, but the supermarkets have those. Saw Prowl if it helps anyone.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Welp turns out that one of the 5 dollar Playmobile accessory sets that's just a bunch of tables cups and trays can fit perfectly in Swerve's hands.

Who the heck has Swerve already?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How do folks feel about the FoC Generations Seeker mold? I was excited, but that was tempered by seeing that the robot mode has a bit empty bit in the middle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do folks feel about the FoC Generations Seeker mold? I was excited, but that was tempered by seeing that the robot mode has a bit empty bit in the middle.
It has some really nice sculpted detail, the colors on Starscream are good and the articulation is good. The transformation is really smooth and there's a couple nice little touches. The end result is barely above crap somehow though, he ends up looking both fat and hollow at the same time. In both modes. Which baffles me. He's one of those figures you appreciate looming in the backdrop of a display and not at all up close, so I still like mine.

You could probably fit a minicon in his chest.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BizarroAzrael posted:

It can do a Gerwalk mode which the regular Classics seeker mold can't do.

The only thing I really hate about the mold is that they're doing Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp while Ramjet, Thrust, and Drige go ignored YET AGAIN. Or hell give us some weird rear end seekers that we've never seen before.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 28, 2013

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

Harr, I'm not doing that, I'd rather go through Kapow where my purchase is guaranteed. Unless Sentinel Red tells me they're doing different. I know I can get MP's through eBay and play, as you say, custom/postage roulette.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

UK TRU chat again, I was in one today and they have the Generations Starscream wave. I saw Magnus and Sideswipe, plus Megs and Trailbreaker. Also Prime BH stuff, but the supermarkets have those. Saw Prowl if it helps anyone.

Toys R Us is going to be carrying MP Prowl? Is this one of those "You MIGHT see one once" deals like Soundwave, or "Literally mountains forever" like Acid Storm?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Given the context, I think he's talking about BH Prowl.

As for customs roulette, are the customs fees and postage difference on a 23 pound purchase going to make it more expensive than the 55-70 pounds that kapow is charging for the MP cars?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Which TRU do UK people go to? I can get a bus across to the Brent Cross one but it's a pain in the arse and I've no idea what they carry. The last TRU I went to at Whiteleys in West London didn't have poo poo but ROTF crap but that was back in February. I didn't know Orbital carried toys as someone was saying. Forbidden Planet only has new Beast hunters stuff.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Reminder that Darkness Megatron is at 39.99 on BBTS. Why should you buy this arms micron thing? Because it comes with a scythe/bat/parrot that also doubles as wings in robot mode, as well as a fat rear end gorilla cannon, and also sports the shiniest chrome this side of an auto shop.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

It can do a Gerwalk mode which the regular Classics seeker mold can't do.

The only thing I really hate about the mold is that they're doing Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp while Ramjet, Thrust, and Drige go ignored YET AGAIN. Or hell give us some weird rear end seekers that we've never seen before.
I don't think they could really do a conehead with that mold because of where the head ends up, at least not without redesigning the body a bit. I'm also not sure how they'd do Dirge and Thrust's "long" wings on that jet mode. And you know if they just did them as straight-up repaints people would bitch like crazy.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Apparently you guys are getting gold bling Prime already too: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/yoth-optimus-prime-sighted-in-stores-178994/

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Ka0 posted:

Reminder that Darkness Megatron is at 39.99 on BBTS.

Disappointed to learn its $65, relieved to not get it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Knormal posted:

I don't think they could really do a conehead with that mold because of where the head ends up, at least not without redesigning the body a bit. I'm also not sure how they'd do Dirge and Thrust's "long" wings on that jet mode. And you know if they just did them as straight-up repaints people would bitch like crazy.

Dirge was repainted using the voyager starscream mold for Universe 2.0. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Not opened Generations Starscream yet, might return him. Torn, since the robot mode from the front is pkeasing, but that big emptiness annoys me. Perhaps I'd rather have Skywarp than both or neither.

It just seems like that gap shouldn't have to exist.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

strangehamster posted:

Disappointed to learn its $65, relieved to not get it.

It was on clearance! Why did they jack the price back up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not opened Generations Starscream yet, might return him. Torn, since the robot mode from the front is pkeasing, but that big emptiness annoys me. Perhaps I'd rather have Skywarp than both or neither.

It just seems like that gap shouldn't have to exist.

I don't feel robbed having spent the money on FOC Starscream, but I wouldn't get another of the same mold. (I never had much love for the original seekers. Always did like Dirge and Ramjet, though...)

I wish the gold on Horse Prime extended to his silver-painted bits and not just the vac-metal, since it may be my only chance to pick up MP10 at a non-stupid price, now that I'm apparently buying MPs. As-is, it looks inconsistent and weird.