Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

What's the best way to play this between PS3 or a Macbook? I assume with the Macbook I'd be using headphones for playing bass? For the PS3, I have HDMI from the PS3 to a receiver for both audio and video, then HDMI from the receiver to the TV, how elaborately would I need to rewire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Seems like the note recognition on my G string is off. Example:

-------
5----7-
5----7-
5----7-
-------
-------

I'm being very careful not to bend any of the strings, but half the time (say doing 10 riff repeaters of the same segment very slowly) Rocksmith still isn't registering the G string note, even though the B string and D string notes always register perfectly, and they're being played at exactly the same time. And my ears are telling me that I'm playing the chord cleanly.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it just something up with my guitar (Epiphone Dot Studio)? I've noticed the G string is fine down in the open-1-2 area.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

frunksock posted:

What's the best way to play this between PS3 or a Macbook? I assume with the Macbook I'd be using headphones for playing bass? For the PS3, I have HDMI from the PS3 to a receiver for both audio and video, then HDMI from the receiver to the TV, how elaborately would I need to rewire?

HDMI is bad, Either platform will be fine using speakers or headphones but you want to avoid digital processing in the signal as it will cause lag between hitting the note shown on screen, hitting the string and the sound being played back.

Also Mac means you can take advantage of Steam sales on RS1 and it's dlc. I did a count the other day and I've got 223 tracks available to play in RS2014 with a lot of DLC for both versions that I skipped. Not counting the dozens of new customs either as it was a fresh install. That's another reason to buy the Steam version (Mac+PC). You need a hardware modded console if you want to play custom tracks on PS3 or 360.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

frunksock posted:

For PS3 you would need the analog cables going to your sound system to eliminate lag.

Just do what's under BEST.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Verizian posted:

HDMI is bad, Either platform will be fine using speakers or headphones but you want to avoid digital processing in the signal as it will cause lag between hitting the note shown on screen, hitting the string and the sound being played back.

Also Mac means you can take advantage of Steam sales on RS1 and it's dlc.
Thanks. drat, I'll have to think about it more; it doesn't seem like there's an ideal setup for me. The nice thing about using a console would be just being able to pick up the bass and go without messing with headphone and USB cables, and being able to use the big TV instead of hunching over a notebook with headphones on.. But the only way to escape digital processing on the audio would be to also give up surround sound for the other games I'd play on the console. Is there RS1 for Mac? I only saw PC in the Steam store.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

frunksock posted:

Is there RS1 for Mac? I only saw PC in the Steam store.

No, but you can still buy it and import the tracks into RS 2014.

Speaking of, thanks again Dead Pressed and toymach1ne!

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Some custom comments since I'm finally back home and can play guitar again. All from the fabled terrible generic metal category.

Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies
Relatively easy song considering the guitarist. The tones are probably the biggest reason I was so impressed with this, it just sounds right. Really cool to play and surprisingly not ruined by LaBrie. No DD.

Velvet Revolver - Messages
From Slash with love. Very easy to play, sounds amazing. Has DD.

Serenity - Wings of Madness
These guys are essentially a European Kamelot. The rhythm especially early on is unorthodox and I liked figuring it out. The song is excellent too. Has DD.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Good riffs even for Metallica standards. Not too complicated but kind of fast. Actually has some pinch harmonics which confirms that Mr. Hammett is indeed capable of playing them. No DD.

What is DD?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Drop D?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Dynamic Difficulty, I believe.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
For Xmas I got some nice flat wound strings for my bass so I could pick up bass again. ( I hosed up my last stringing attempt and never replaced them)

Anyway I could never get my E. String notes to register. Since they were medium weight, I thought I wasn't playing hard enough. Turns out I was playing too hard in the first place. Guess I have a lot of mechanics to learn.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

frunksock posted:

I play on a Macbook and it's great, all the advantages of the PC version without the weird audio driver issues. Only minor drawback is that many customs are PC-only.

On the big TV I connect the Macbook video through HDMI but set the audio output to the headphone jack and use one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P8M6DE/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

For future reference to those looking at getting this game:

Avoid USB sound cards, and USB headsets. They will introduce audio lag.

I started out with my USB Headset, which thank god has the regular jacks that plug INTO the USB adaptor.

Then I bought a SoundBlaster USB soundcard, because my motherboards soundcard simply would not go loud enough.

Of course it created lag.

Finally I caved and bought a SB Audigy card last night, works flawlessly now with zero lag.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When is the next DLC? January?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I play a lot of customs and while I can't tell you which ones to avoid (I delete them) I can tell you some I like. This is all bass-only, though. I don't know if linking to Smithy's Anvil is kosher, so I'm just providing artist/title info, but recently they've made some huge improvements to the forums so that you can easily sort by title and artist anyway.

Beatles - Day Tripper
A classic riff that will get you all the ladies (if you don't tell them you're playing the bass). A little tricky to play at first (there's a shift, oh no!) but even once you get it down you can work on getting the timing and tone rock-solid, which is a whole new challenge. Also there's lots of tricky sections outside the main riff too. Fun!

Big Country - In A Big Country
I learned about this song through Rock Band 3's setlist and I've loved it ever since. Fun, fun song with that sort of 80's new-wave-y feel (though apparently it's from 1990? huh!)

Bloodhound Gang - Along Comes Mary/The Ballad of Chasey Lain
Very very simple parts that will emphasize the a fundamental of bass playing - playing the root note of the chord. If you're new to the isntrument, or like these songs anyway, go ahead and get them. Make sure your grandma isn't around when you play Chasey Lain, if you've never heard it before.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run/Glory Days
Both very fun, and well charted. Recommended!

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line
If you've never played country-genre bass, you're in for a treat! And by treat, I mean root, fifth, root, fifth, root, fifth... On the plus side, once you master this, you will be able to play literally hundreds of songs if you just ask for the chord progression.

Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Boy do I love these 80's bass lines! This one is well-charted (generally) and fun.

Electric Six - Gay Bar
This one isn't quite ready yet. There's something that's mistakenly charted to guitar even though it's a bass part, and it's one of the coolest parts of the song. Annoying! Solid part and fun/hilarious song in general though. Keep an eye on this.

Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
Another easy "get if you like it or you're new" song. The little licks in the chorus sound harder than they are.

Hanson - MMMbop
gently caress you, this song rules. Very "pop bassline". Root, root, cute lick, repeat. Not that it matters at all, but the lyrics are really inconsistently charted - sometimes each "bop" of the scat parts is properly lined up, sometimes entire lines are ignored. Weird.

Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Green Day - Holiday
If you didn't know, GD's basslines are generally pretty cool. This one's got a bouncy feel that's a joy to play, and you get to really stick it to "president" Bu$h maaaaaaaaaaaaaan! The bass solo has one mischarted slide that bothers me. Otherwise solid.

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Probably the coolest you'll feel playing bass in a video game. Once you get this down, make sure to play it IRL whenever you happen to have people around. They'll never get sick of it!!!!

Phoenix - 1901/Lasso/Lisztomania
"Indie" (am I using that right?) pop-rock (am I using THAT right?) that's simple and fun. Get if you like the song, etc

Queen/David Bowie - Under Pressure
Since there's no Ice Ice Baby custom yet, this lame cover song will have to do. Sigh.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
This one is solid except he charts in some random "Flea-style" lick in the middle of the song that is not in the recording he used. It sounds cool I guess but I don't know why it's there. A friend suggested maybe it's so you can memorize the Rocksmith chart and then, when you're playing in front of friends, impress them with this "improvised" lick. Sure.

Lou Reed - Take A Walk On The Wild Side
Chill song that will help you learn to slide evenly and cleanly. In simple songs like this, technique becomes 10x more important!

In conclusion, customs loving own. Buy official DLC too, it's way more consistent in terms of quality and it supports struggling indie developers like Ubisoft. Customs (even these listed above) are all over the place in terms of accuracy, custom tones, etc.

Macavity fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 28, 2013

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

frunksock posted:

I had XBOX >>> HDMI >>> TV >>> optical >>> speakers, and there was noticeable lag, enough to make chordy strumming bits really hard. I switched out the HDMI for component cables and now the lag isn't really noticeable anymore; or at least, it's gone from "well yeah that's some lag" to "I think it's possibly lagging like some tiny bit".

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Sorry for the megapost, here's a ferret in a guitar

Here are some rabbits in a guitar

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=209141730

Also I realized the venues actually do get larger, I think you need to unlock size 8 or so for it to be noticeable.

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 28, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a way to make this game shut the gently caress up about speaker exclusivity on PC? I just got it and that is my one singular complaint, everything else has been fantastic.

Also what am I doing wrong that makes my high notes not register? What can I do to make that purple string louder? Am I muting it accidentally with my fingers or what?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 28, 2013

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So even though I've been playing this series off and on since I got the original for Christmas 2012, I haven't been sinking time into it every day like I hoped to, and still fall flat on my face when it comes to higher difficulties, not looking at the strings for proper finger placement, hitting the correct strings below red and yellow, and pretty much every chord.

Long story short: I still pretty much suck at the game as far as the guitar component goes (I'm okay at bass since there are fewer strings and most of those tracks are much simpler), but I'm thinking my new year's resolution is going to be to get better at guitar in general. Besides Justin Guitar, are there any recommended tutorial sites or YouTube channels? And are there any RS2014 songs, lessons or Guitarcade games people would recommend above others?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

signalnoise posted:

Is there a way to make this game shut the gently caress up about speaker exclusivity on PC? I just got it and that is my one singular complaint, everything else has been fantastic.

Also what am I doing wrong that makes my high notes not register? What can I do to make that purple string louder? Am I muting it accidentally with my fingers or what?

I'm having B and e string problems too, seems like a common thing on the internets. I've looked at the pause menu tuner and gone up the frets, and some really weird poo poo happens - from the note detection immediately stopping (even though you can hear it just fine) to some frets magically reading as really sharp until you bend them slightly, again sounding fine to listen to. I can't do poo poo in the harmonics game either, I think it has problems with some frequencies. I'm trying to up the latency :smith: to see if it's having secret problems

Behonkiss posted:

So even though I've been playing this series off and on since I got the original for Christmas 2012, I haven't been sinking time into it every day like I hoped to, and still fall flat on my face when it comes to higher difficulties, not looking at the strings for proper finger placement, hitting the correct strings below red and yellow, and pretty much every chord.

Long story short: I still pretty much suck at the game as far as the guitar component goes (I'm okay at bass since there are fewer strings and most of those tracks are much simpler), but I'm thinking my new year's resolution is going to be to get better at guitar in general. Besides Justin Guitar, are there any recommended tutorial sites or YouTube channels? And are there any RS2014 songs, lessons or Guitarcade games people would recommend above others?

Scale runner and the string skipping saloon game seem like good drills, but honestly I think you'd probably benefit from some serious practice time - like 10 minutes a day (or more), sitting down with a metronome at a set speed and just slowly picking patterns. Things that trouble you, and not raising the speed until you can play them through without making a mistake. It's hard at first and then you just get better.

Justin has a section for it:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-000-Technique.php
There's no substitute for practice unfortunately! But on the plus side, it's something everyone can do, and it will help, and make everything you do a whole lot easier. Practice before you do any playing, as a warmup, and you'll see results pretty quickly

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

For PS3 you would need the analog cables going to your sound system to eliminate lag.

Just do what's under BEST.

What would be the ideal setup for the PC? Just plug the guitar into a USB port, and headphones out of the sound-port of the motherboard?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr.48 posted:

What would be the ideal setup for the PC? Just plug the guitar into a USB port, and headphones out of the sound-port of the motherboard?

Seems to be, yeah - or a soundcard, it's just USB output that can cause problems. A discrete card might give you slightly better performance, but maybe not!

Also I can confirm turning up the latency slider seems to help - harmonics are now being recognised! I went from 3 to 4 even though I couldn't hear any crackling, and honestly I can't feel any difference. There's always been a tiny microsecond lag and it doesn't feel any worse, I might turn it up a bit more and see if it helps with high string recognition

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Yeah. I think they have a video about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9rd4fzYLk

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
For what skill level is this game? I've learnt guitar for a year by myself but haven't played in forever. Maybe this could me get me back on track. Also, does it teach more theoretical and broader stuff that is applicable elsewhere or does it just teach you the songs?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

horriblePencilist posted:

For what skill level is this game? I've learnt guitar for a year by myself but haven't played in forever. Maybe this could me get me back on track. Also, does it teach more theoretical and broader stuff that is applicable elsewhere or does it just teach you the songs?

Beginner+

It doesn't really teach much theory stuff. It teaches songs and techniques.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

PaganGoatPants posted:

Beginner+

It doesn't really teach much theory stuff. It teaches songs and techniques.

Ah, thanks. Sounds like it's not really my cup of tea then.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
To the guy a few posts back, play the game on a Mac. It is the best way!

Also regarding customs, it is super easy to convert the customs to Mac format.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

horriblePencilist posted:

Ah, thanks. Sounds like it's not really my cup of tea then.
Nah, it's perfect for this. I learned classical guitar ten years ago for about 18 months. So I know some general technique stuff but I'm generally terrible and out of practise. Rocksmith finally has me playing the guitar again and it's awesome.

If you want some more technical advice, you can supplement it with Justin Guitar, the two go together really well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm running through a bit of everything right now, and it's really good. Just playing around in Session Mode gives you all kinds of missions, and running through those effectively walks you through a bunch of theory. It starts off giving you scale box patterns, then starts talking about phrasing and chord tones, and encourages you to play some lead while focusing on emphasising those tones (they light up on the pattern depending on the underlying chord currently playing in the progression) and so on.

I don't know how deep it goes yet, but it looks like you can set up a lot of different progressions to practice over, and the virtual band responds to your playing and can change chords depending on what you're emphasising. It might even be able to follow you through all kinds of crazy modulation, I haven't looked that deep yet.

Theory is really something you'd study yourself anyway, and the game doesn't do much in the way of 'this solo is in Em' or anything, but it seems like it'll be really useful as a toolkit for exploring theory, and it's good for practice drilling too

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Did another song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO27Gm49ZdM

I hate that Dm chord

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 29, 2013

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

baka kaba posted:

I'm running through a bit of everything right now, and it's really good. Just playing around in Session Mode gives you all kinds of missions, and running through those effectively walks you through a bunch of theory. It starts off giving you scale box patterns, then starts talking about phrasing and chord tones, and encourages you to play some lead while focusing on emphasising those tones (they light up on the pattern depending on the underlying chord currently playing in the progression) and so on.

I don't know how deep it goes yet, but it looks like you can set up a lot of different progressions to practice over, and the virtual band responds to your playing and can change chords depending on what you're emphasising. It might even be able to follow you through all kinds of crazy modulation, I haven't looked that deep yet.

Theory is really something you'd study yourself anyway, and the game doesn't do much in the way of 'this solo is in Em' or anything, but it seems like it'll be really useful as a toolkit for exploring theory, and it's good for practice drilling too

Session mode is a gem that is often overlooked. I just started playing around with it on bass and it is loving awesome.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

App13 posted:

What is DD?

Yeah it's dynamic difficulty. Some customs don't have it at all since it's a lot of work to do and others just have computer generated difficulties which are pretty much worthless. Even on customs without DD you can slow the song down in Riff Repeater and play at a pace you're comfortable with.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I just got to that chord in justins beginners syllabus. It is miserable to change to and from. I am only getting around 30 changes per minute (up from 10 or so when I first started) for chords involving Dm with ~60 cpm on the rest.

Is there a guitar tuner application that would allow me to tune on my pc with the 1/4 stereo (technically mono)->usb cable that came with the game?

I can use rocksmith to tune but mostly I just use rocksmith for amp emulation until I progress enough to where I feel like I wouldnt be miserable trying to play songs on it. Meanwhile I have been playing on my PC with headphones but it introduces the issue of tuning being off especially with a cheaper rondo guitar that tend to go out of tune faster than higher end models.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm fine with the Dm chord, I just hate that shape when it moves around the fretboard. There's a chord in Paranoid Android that I'm completely stuck on, and it's similar to a Dm but moved up one or two frets and shifted down a string. I'm fine with a Dm but moving it away from the GBe to DGB just throws me off and I can't figure out where to put my index and ring fingers.

I guess all I can do is slow that part way down and focus solely on switching chords, then work on my right hand once I've gotten it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

I'm fine with the Dm chord, I just hate that shape when it moves around the fretboard. There's a chord in Paranoid Android that I'm completely stuck on, and it's similar to a Dm but moved up one or two frets and shifted down a string. I'm fine with a Dm but moving it away from the GBe to DGB just throws me off and I can't figure out where to put my index and ring fingers.

I guess all I can do is slow that part way down and focus solely on switching chords, then work on my right hand once I've gotten it.

This Pebber Brown dude has a method I like to memorize the chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IagzBQZsII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGke17Rzn7U

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

This Pebber Brown dude has a method I like to memorize the chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IagzBQZsII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGke17Rzn7U

you posted the links in the wrong order YOU RUINED EVERYTHING DAMMIT EVERYTHING

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Bought the first game for pc via the Amazon sale and finally got it working. Game didn't pick up the guitar at first, then about half the cdlc I downloaded was corrupt and killing the game after the ubi intro. Now after finding the bugs, I get to shred to all the custom dlc on pc (2012) AND have the first game loaded up into 2014 edition for my 360.

As such, I literally have no need for the first edition on xbox. First person to email me their address to Pbauden@vt.edu will get the game shipped to them (conusa preferable) free of charge like "Paul" was nice enough to do for me earlier in this thread, and nocheez to him before that. Just rip the songs via the $10 charge and pass it along!

Spread the love!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Megazver posted:

you posted the links in the wrong order YOU RUINED EVERYTHING DAMMIT EVERYTHING

That's what I thought at first but the one says v2 I think he covers it better anyway.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Someone on neogaf made this super helpful chart:

http://imgur.com/a/vlxTS

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

keyframe posted:

Someone on neogaf made this super helpful chart:

http://imgur.com/a/vlxTS

You can just pause a song and look up all the stuff that is used in it in the Technique section, can't you? Still, that's useful. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Is the 360 version of 2014 known to have freezing issues on the results screen? It's happened to me twice in the past two days, right after the autosave tape icon fades but before your song stats pop up.